Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Barry Allen have destroyed ...(Spoilers for the Button)

So in this week's Flash issue and second part to the Button Story line we get reacquainted with the Cosmic Treadmill and at the end of the issue it was destroyed sadly, but before that Barry mentioned in his thought that he should have destroyed it earlier.

Which brings up the question: Should the Flash truly have destroyed the Cosmic Treadmill when he had the chance to ?

I mean for a moment ignore the TV show and soon Rebirth's way of the Flash traveling through time and the Multiverse...for a moment just ignore it.

Now as Flash fans: What do you think of this thought given what happen to the Flash and what he learned of how HE caused Flashpoint. Should the Cosmic Treadmill be destroyed ?

Fantastic Member

never destroy a potential asset.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Not really. Barry created the Cosmic Treadmill. Even if he destroyed the present unit, he has the knowledge to build another one. It's kind of like Tony Stark destroying all of his armors. There wasn't anything to prevent him from building more.

It's also not the first time the Cosmic Treadmill has been destroyed. I think Wally and Jay had to rebuild it a few times when Barry was "dead."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Not really. Barry created the Cosmic Treadmill. Even if he destroyed the present unit, he has the knowledge to build another one. It's kind of like Tony Stark destroying all of his armors. There wasn't anything to prevent him from building more.

It's also not the first time the Cosmic Treadmill has been destroyed. I think Wally and Jay had to rebuild it a few times when Barry was "dead."

Even after Barry learned the truth about Flashpoint and the mess it caused you still have him keep the Cosmic Treadmill ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Even after Barry learned the truth about Flashpoint and the mess it caused you still have him keep the Cosmic Treadmill ?
    Yes. It'd be a largely symbolic and empty gesture if he retains the knowledge to build another one.

And for every FLASHPOINT, the Cosmic Treadmill has saved the world/universe numerous times. It's almost like the gun-control issue: guns have killed many innocent people in accidents, crimes, and needless wars, but they've also saved other lives that were under threat. Consequently, would it be proper to ban all guns? Different people will give you different answers.

If he did, but changed his mind, couldn't he just build another one?

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    If he did, but changed his mind, couldn't he just build another one?
    Exactly, so destroying the present unit would be an empty gesture.

I believe that over the years, Barry has built more than one Cosmic Treadmill. At the very least, he built another one inside Julius Schwartz's office at DC Comics on Earth-Prime to get home to Earth-One back in the Silver Age.

Im of two minds on it.

On one hand, Barry (and Wally I think) have done serious damage to the timeline on several occasions because of that damn treadmill. Even if Barry could just build another one, the (relative) time it would take for him to make a new one is time for him to reconsider his actions and decide that screwing with time (again) isn't the best idea, no matter how pure his intentions (always) are. So destroying the treadmill might be enough to keep another Flashpoint from happening.

But at the same time, the treadmill has been used to save the world several times too, and even if it only takes Barry a few minutes to build a new one, that's a few minutes he might need to save history, so keeping it intact is pragmatic.

I'd say the best solution is to keep the treadmill, but put it someplace out of the way, so Barry can't just jump on it when he decides he misses mommy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I feel like you could ask this about any element of a Superhero's arsenal that's been turned or worked against them at some point in their careers.

It all started so innocently...

It would be like destroying the Ultimate Nullifier. It's dangerous and ****, but it could be useful some day.

Plus, as Buried Alien said, he could just build a new one.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

I prefer to think that he CAN'T destroy it... Same way that Wally couldn't destroy it back in 'Return of Barry Allen'. It's too important to future events that are linked with past events and the whole thing goes wibbley wobbley till it Flashpoints. IF Barry destroyed it because of Flashpoint, it's not there in the future for Thawne to find and become Reverse Flash, which means he doesn't ever go back in time to kill momma... which means that Barry wouldn't bother destroying it... K'boom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Um...Didn't Tony of the MCU destroyed his Armors at the end of Iron Man 3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Um...Didn't Tony of the MCU destroyed his Armors at the end of Iron Man 3 ?
    Yeah, and then showed up with more of them in subsequent MCU movies. Ultimately, it was a futile gesture.

I've had this conversation on here already in a Different Thread. I personally said yes he should have, though I'm able to see why he hasnt, as a compromise I would have Batman lock it away like he did the Dimensional Turning Fork, in a Lock that No Man can open in the Fortress of Solitude.