Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

1: Spider-Man: Only a little bit "better" than part 2. Subjectively, not objectively.
    2: Spider-Man 2: On some days i like it more than the first part, but part 1 wins in the end.
    3: Spider-Man: Homecoming: Tom Holland is fantastic, the movie is good but something is missing, i dont know what
    4: The Amazing Spider-Man: Not bad, but somehow a redundant reboot
    5: Spider-Man 3: Sandman was the only good thing in it.
    6: Amazing Spider-Man 2: What a mess...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    1: Spider-Man: Only a little bit "better" than part 2. Subjectively, not objectively.
    2: Spider-Man 2: On some days i like it more than the first part, but part 1 wins in the end.
    3: Spider-Man: Homecoming: Tom Holland is fantastic, the movie is good but something is missing, i dont know what
    4: The Amazing Spider-Man: Not bad, but somehow a redundant reboot
    5: Spider-Man 3: Sandman was the only good thing in it.
    6: Amazing Spider-Man 2: What a mess...
    I think that's largely because not only is it retelling a lot of plot aspects that we've seen before, but that it's also stringing them out over a longer amount of time. I mean, Martin Sheen is a great actor, but seeing them contort his scenes to get him to say something that's "with great power comes great responsibility" *without* quite saying it, then they try to spread Peter's hunt for the killer across a third of the film's runtime, which seems to kind of ignore what that famous phrase actually means.

Plus, they went and let Lizard learn who Spider-Man was, mostly because just about every badguy in the movies until that point had done the same thing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

@godisawesome: Damn right, they could have just change the actor and went with the Lizard who was introduced in the Raimi movies...the retelling of Spideys origin was kinda exhausting, even for non comic book fans. I discussed the movie before we went to the theater with 3 other non comic book reader, and they asked if they have sit through his origin again. Altough, there was much to like in the movie.

1. Spider-Man 2: Great movie all around, the bar for Spider-Man movies.
    2. Spider-Man: Great first movie for Spider-Man, the main problem with it is that it looks pretty dated now.
    3. Spider-Man 3: Good movie, really liked the wrap-up of the arc of the Raimi films. Wasn't too fond of Venom and how the suit was wasted.
    4. Spider-Man: Homecoming: A Disney teen movie with a great Peter Parker, not-so-good Aunt May and unwelcome Avengers/tech/Iron Man stuff in there.
    5. Amazing Spider-Man 2: Interesting film, with decent acting and character changes over the first one, tainted by being a big plot mess.
    6. Amazing Spider-Man: A dull brick of a movie, unwatchable with the parents, hipster surf-punk Peter and an boring Lizard villain.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

[QUOTE=godisawesome;3426281]I think that's largely because not only is it retelling a lot of plot aspects that we've seen before, but that it's also stringing them out over a longer amount of time. I mean, Martin Sheen is a great actor, but seeing them contort his scenes to get him to say something that's "with great power comes great responsibility" *without* quite saying it, then they try to spread Peter's hunt for the killer across a third of the film's runtime, which seems to kind of ignore what that famous phrase actually means.[/qupte]

I actually like that ASM1 included a version of the "if you can do good things, you have the moral obligation to do them" speech from the Ultimate comics. However, the Ultimate comics also paired them with the "power and responsibility" staying, which ASM1 failed to do and I think was its downfall; the former was designed to compliment the latter, not replace it. The "now-power-and-responsibility" phone message at the end was also excruciating.

Also agree that the movie is drags it stuff out (in retrospect, I think it's a pretty boring supehero movie) and the revenge on the killer thing really didn't fit with the Spider-Man character or themes (it was also unresolved, leaving it as an unfinished plot).

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Plus, they went and let Lizard learn who Spider-Man was, mostly because just about every badguy in the movies until that point had done the same thing.
    I don't think the Lizard learning was a bad thing in and of itself, just that they didn't do anything worthwhile with that twist.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

[QUOTE=WebLurker;3429252]
    I think that's largely because not only is it retelling a lot of plot aspects that we've seen before, but that it's also stringing them out over a longer amount of time. I mean, Martin Sheen is a great actor, but seeing them contort his scenes to get him to say something that's "with great power comes great responsibility" *without* quite saying it, then they try to spread Peter's hunt for the killer across a third of the film's runtime, which seems to kind of ignore what that famous phrase actually means.[/qupte]

I actually like that ASM1 included a version of the "if you can do good things, you have the moral obligation to do them" speech from the Ultimate comics. However, the Ultimate comics also paired them with the "power and responsibility" staying, which ASM1 failed to do and I think was its downfall; the former was designed to compliment the latter, not replace it. The "now-power-and-responsibility" phone message at the end was also excruciating.

Also agree that the movie is drags it stuff out (in retrospect, I think it's a pretty boring supehero movie) and the revenge on the killer thing really didn't fit with the Spider-Man character or themes (it was also unresolved, leaving it as an unfinished plot).

I don't think the Lizard learning was a bad thing in and of itself, just that they didn't do anything worthwhile with that twist.
    Good point; if we look at the other films, a bad guy learning who Spider-Man is generally impacts the plot or characterization in a big way, though I'd argue the issue with AS1 and SM3 both suffer more from it being a tired retread of previous turns than a failure to try and incorporate it, with AS2 suffering from the same repitition, but without building up to it and jarringly trying to go for a bigger impact.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Okay, guys, the part one podcast, talking about the bottom 3 films, is up. If you want to hear how the poll turned out, alongside some ranting about Venom and Andrew Garfield, go here: https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/64...d-and-the-ugly.

Up next, we've got a showdown strictly between the top three films: the first two Raimi films and Homecoming. I'm asking everyone to vote again, since we had at least one or two people who voted one of the bottom three above that. We're going to do the second podcast next week.

Top three voting: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/zkwtr...st-of-the-best

And, if you want to take another crack at the bottom three movies, or if you want to get in on the action after we're done, go here: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/jsawi...t-of-the-worst

Okay, guys, the part one podcast, talking about the bottom 3 films, is up. If you want to hear how the poll turned out, alongside some ranting about Venom and Andrew Garfield, go here: https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/64...d-and-the-ugly.

Up next, we've got a showdown strictly between the top three films: the first two Raimi films and Homecoming. I'm asking everyone to vote again, since we had at least one or two people who voted one of the bottom three above that. We're going to do the second podcast next week.

Top three voting: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/zkwtr...st-of-the-best

And, if you want to take another crack at the bottom three movies, or if you want to get in on the action after we're done, go here: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/jsawi...t-of-the-worst
    Awesome. Looking forward to hearing the show.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

1. Tie between Homecoming and Spider-Man 2

2. Spider-Man

I feel like I'll always be in the minority for liking the ASM films .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I actually, as weird as it seems, kind of like ASM2 a lot on the basis of it feels like the plotline was made for a TV show's season, and I'm horrible at criticizing convuluted plots I can still follow, even if the pacing is off. Plus, Rhino's hilarious, Hans Zimmer's music in 2 is excellent, and I genuinely think the actors are doing a decent job for the directions their given. I probably would have defended it more in the podcast, but our first attempt at something like this, in Star Wars with Rogue One and Revenge of the Sith, lasted about 3 hours, so I decided we'd have more fun talking about Spider-Man 3.

AS1 is just a bit too redundant to really make me support it.

Yes. You are.

... and don't let it happen again.

Maybe you shouldn't tell people such things.

1. Spider-Man 2: Great movie from start to finish
    2. Spider-Man
    3. Amazing Spider-Man (i dont think this one was that bad, Garfield was a bad Peter Parker but a great Spiderman)
    4. Spiderman Homecoming: I like Tom Holland as Peter, I would've placed it higher if it wasn't for the tech suit which basically made him Iron Man.. and the absence of Spider Sense really pissed me off.
    5. Amazing Spider-Man 2: yeah, this one was bad
    6. Spider-Man 3: emo Peter.. 'nuff said

It seems to me like popular opinion (at least from what I've found poking online) has shifted over time. It seemed to me that when ASM2 came out, it had a better reception, granted of the "it's a weak plot, but the leads are great and make it worth while." I also recall that it seemed like popular opinion was that the Raimi movies had been superseded by the ASM movies, which ostensibly a truer version of the Spider-Man mythos. There also seemed to be positive anticipation for the ASM cinematic universe.

However, the series gets canceled, and then you started to see a lot more online chatter wondering if the ASM movies were really that good, more voices suggesting that Andrew Garfield may have actually been a bad Spider-Man instead of one of the movie's assets, and the idea that the Raimi movies have been the superior version after all gained traction.

It could've just been a honeymoon period for the ASM movies, or maybe the cancelation and announcement of the MCU reboot may have soured the series. I don't know. However, it does seem like the ASM movie series is a bit of footnote in the history of Spider-Man movies, but, like anything, the most vocal don't always represent the majority. Heck, it got a nice new BluRay boxed set when Homecoming came out, so Sony clearly still thinks theres a market for it.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)