View Poll Results: Amazing or Spectacular?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing Spider-Man

29 47.54%
  • Peter Parker, Spectaular Spider-Man

32 52.46%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I'm all caught up with Spectacular as of 3 minutes ago now, and I am REALLY digging it.

Astonishing Member

Just read 299 of Spectacular and i must say, this is the Spidey book i want to read. Amazing cant keep up right at the moment. I wonder what the next writer will have in store for ASM...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Just read 299 of Spectacular and i must say, this is the Spidey book i want to read. Amazing cant keep up right at the moment. I wonder what the next writer will have in store for ASM...
    Yeah, like I said earlier in this thread, a best-case scenario with be Chip keeping up this level of work on Spectacular and a new writer on ASM trying to beat him in terms of quality. It would be a pleasant throwback to the days of the mid-1980's when ASM and SSM were both firing on all cylinders and the respective writers were trying to top each other monthly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    There are also fans who think it was garbage from start to finish. I’m not one of them (I think Slott’s run was a patchwork of high highs and low lows), but until there’s more of an agreed upon consensus, newcomers are going to be leery Slotts run.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t count in continuity.
    It counts. It was the sole Spider-Man book being published during Secret Wars. Then, in Power Play, all three characters (Peter, MJ and Regent) experience Deja Vu. It was during the final fight. One even pointed out that something about the fight was similar. Besides, Dan has said it is in continuity and absolutely counts. Trust me, a few members here on CBR raised their objections about it being included. Slott won out.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It counts. It was the sole Spider-Man book being published during Secret Wars. Then, in Power Play, all three characters (Peter, MJ and Regent) experience Deja Vu. It was during the final fight. One even pointed out that something about the fight was similar. Besides, Dan has said it is in continuity and absolutely counts. Trust me, a few members here on CBR raised their objections about it being included. Slott won out.
    You do realize Slott also swore Peter was never, ever coming back after Superior Spider-Man, right? Also, if AUs count as continuity, then Peter and MJ are still married, Peter is secretly a pig, and he’s a Noir-style vigilante.

If it’s the Secret Wars part, then it’s ALSO in continuity that Civil War I never ended and Peter is Captain America’s right hand man in that circumstance.

The thing is, you still haven’t given me a logical, in universe reason for those three characters to have deja vu, so until there is one, the most it can be is an Easter egg.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 02-09-2018 at 07:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    if AUs count as continuity.
    Considering Slott devoted a whole arc to a Spider-crisis in the multiverse (which first introduced us to RYV Peter), Anya is part of a reality-crossing Spider-team, and RYV Mary Jane teamed with 616 Eddie very recently...yeah, AUs do count.

An easter egg is a one-in-done reference that a keen-eyed reader picks up on and it's not addressed after that. The Deja Vu sensation was also referenced more than once, it was also at the beginning of Power Play when they all attended the party. It was clearly meant to indicate something in the long-term and the fact it happened in the same year that the callbacks to OMD started up again in the Spider-Man books cannot be ignored.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-09-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Considering Slott devoted a whole arc to a Spider-crisis in the multiverse (which first introduced us to RYV Peter), Anya is part of a reality-crossing Spider-team, and RYV Mary Jane teamed with 616 Eddie very recently...yeah, AUs do count.

An easter egg is a one-in-done reference that a keen-eyed reader picks up on and it's not addressed after that. The Deja Vu sensation was also referenced more than once, it was also at the beginning of Power Play when they all attended the party. It was clearly meant to indicate something in the long-term and the fact it happened in the same year that the callbacks to OMD started up again in the Spider-Man books cannot be ignored.
    Spiderverse and Venomverse were both cases of alternate versions meeting, not oddly getting each other’s memories. You’re theory could be true, but I’d need more that just that one incident. If Anya starts remembering things from her MC2 self or Peter has flashbacks to his Noir or cartoon versions, then the theory would hold more water. Yes, it could be a sign of a new arc, but since there has been no payoff since Power Play, I doubt that’s the case.

If and when that payoff comes, I will accept it. Otherwise, it was an Easter egg and nothing more.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 02-09-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Mighty Member

Notice how Spec does not mention PI in any capacity.

is Spectacular even canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    is Spectacular even canon?

Yes. It has been said by editorial that it is out of step a beat or two time wise with ASM but it is in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Notice how Spec does not mention PI in any capacity.
    It does make references to it though.

I went with Amazing, but Spectacular got pretty good around Issue 5, with an impressive rescue sequence (the Jonah conversation is probably the highlight of the Spider-Man comics in the last year.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

Amazing Spider-Man, Dan Slott's run has been one of the greatest in the character's history. Sad to see it end.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

In fairness I dropped ASM a little while ago so I can't comment on the more recent issues but I have been reading Spectacular and have enjoyed it more than I was enjoying ASM before I dropped it so I voted for Spectacular.