View Poll Results: Amazing or Spectacular?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing Spider-Man

29 47.54%
  • Peter Parker, Spectaular Spider-Man

32 52.46%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Amazing vs Spectacular

With so many readers, myself included, pleasantly surprised at the dramatic upturn in quality for the Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man title over the last 4 issues or so, I thought it might be fun to gauge where we would rank that title now versus Amazing Spider-Man. Pretty simple poll; just how you feel currently, right now as of January 2018 do you prefer ASM or SSM? Please only vote if you are reading both; otherwise, your vote is meaningless.

BANNED

Spectacular. There's still some bad humor here and there, but boy Chip is really out to prove something with this run (and he's not too shabby on Marvel-Two-In-One either). I like that he's made good use of Teresa and the change in status quo with Jameson is the most refreshing character shift for a veteran supporting cast member in some time.

I agree with everything you said, Miles! And, man, I was ready to drop SSM after the first 2-3 issues but Chip got much much better really quickly and I am glad I stuck with the title; everything about it is what I have been look for in a mainstream Spidy book that Slott has sadly not been providing since roughly the end of Superior. Really looking forward to the new team on ASM and Chip continuing this great work on SSM but, for now, I am enjoying SSM much more.

Amazing Spider-Man. Dan Slott has easily the best mainstream superhero run of this century in my book.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Spectacular. There's still some bad humor here and there, but boy Chip is really out to prove something with this run (and he's not too shabby on Marvel-Two-In-One either). I like that he's made good use of Teresa and the change in status quo with Jameson is the most refreshing character shift for a veteran supporting cast member in some time.
    At the very least the bad humor now isn't as bad as before, that scene in issue 4 with some characters doing standup, couldn't tell the difference between the "good" and the bad jokes lol.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Spectacular, definitely. So glad my man Zdarsky showed us his true powers. IMO PP:SSM #6 was the best issue of 2017 and one the best Spider-Man issues overall. Keep it up, Chip!
    As for ASM, I don't dislike it but the book also hasn't impressed me in a while, so Spectacular gets my vote.

Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man all the way baby!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Question

Sooo...speaking as someone who hasn't really read either book (the Peter and Miles Generations book is the latest one I've purchased) and has not been pleased with Fall of Parker, would the Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man be something I should look into? I haven't heard much from that one, either than the one spoiler (you all know what I mean.)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Sooo...speaking as someone who hasn't really read either book (the Peter and Miles Generations book is the latest one I've purchased) and has not been pleased with Fall of Parker, would the Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man be something I should look into? I haven't heard much from that one, either than the one spoiler (you all know what I mean.)
    It starts being trash, because its sense of humor is "Spider-Man is a moron who makes moronic decisions and everyone points out how much of a moron he is" and just Spidey making bad jokes which are also unfitting for him to make, but in issue 4, while it's still bad, it starts to take steps in the right direction, in issue 5 it becomes surprisingly good and the quality is maintained in later issues.

Also, I like how the pool is tied so far lol.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    In my humble opinion, I think you or any Spider-Man fan can enjoy the current Spectacular Spider-Man book.

I'm not even one of the fans who have been unsatisfied with ASM for a while, I actually enjoy ASM more often than not. But as a previously posted, currently I like Spectacular more. It's my 2nd favorite comic right now, just barely losing to Scarlet Spider.

PP:SSM started, if I may be blunt, awful. Issues 1-4 are pretty bad IMO, and this is coming from a huge Zdarsky fan. But then issue 5 came and it was actually good, and ever since then the quality never left. Issue 6 is a beast of its own, a masterpiece I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes into futures "best Spider-Man stories" lists.

So basically yes, I think you'll find value in it. Spectacular started weak, but has improved a lot and is now a quite enjoyable book.

A dead heat, tied 7 to 7!! Which is pretty surprising considering the fact that there hasn't been a steady satellite title for so many years and also that this one started out so poorly. It's interesting to ponder whether this is more a testament to Chip Zdarsky's work post-Issue #4 or more a bit of Slott fatigue.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingFantasy View Post
    In my humble opinion, I think you or any Spider-Man fan can enjoy the current Spectacular Spider-Man book.

I'm not even one of the fans who have been unsatisfied with ASM for a while, I actually enjoy ASM more often than not. But as a previously posted, currently I like Spectacular more. It's my 2nd favorite comic right now, just barely losing to Scarlet Spider.

PP:SSM started, if I may be blunt, awful. Issues 1-4 are pretty bad IMO, and this is coming from a huge Zdarsky fan. But then issue 5 came and it was actually good, and ever since then the quality never left. Issue 6 is a beast of its own, a masterpiece I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes into futures "best Spider-Man stories" lists.

So basically yes, I think you'll find value in it. Spectacular started weak, but has improved a lot and is now a quite enjoyable book.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Dan Slott. Mostly hate, but I am willing to give the man his due. I say this because the elements of his run I don't like (Superior Spider-Man, Spiderverse, Spokingbird, and Fall of Parker) I REALLY hate, and there's no way I will ever come to like them. However, the parts that I like (most everything of Horizon [ironically, except Max Modell; I see him as a weak Uncle Ben replacement], Anna Maria, and Parker Industries) I REALLY like; but he always cut those short. So, I tend to be more frustrated with him than excited.

I never really learned much about PP:SSM, though, and I don't have enough money to buy something I'm not sure I'll like, but I'll be on the lookout for more info.

Fantastic Member

Spectacular Spider-man is much much better at the moment.

Spectacular for me, for now.

I suspect ASM will ramp up as we get closer to the close of Slott's run.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Just bought the Spectacular issues.. so I'll be able to vote shortly