View Poll Results: Amazing or Spectacular?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing Spider-Man

29 47.54%
  • Peter Parker, Spectaular Spider-Man

32 52.46%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn’t count in continuity.
    The deja vu sensation from "Power Play" puts it in continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That makes no sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Not to the main universe. If it was in continuity, Peter and MJ would be married with a daughter.

I’d say the deja vu was just an Easter egg for the readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I’d say the deja vu was just an Easter egg for the readers.
    I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That makes no sense.
    It's a reference. For that to occur, something obviously had to happen.

It makes perfect sense.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I disagree

It's a reference. For that to occur, something obviously had to happen.

It makes perfect sense.
    How would 616!Peter and MJ have any way to “remember” what their counterparts did?

I went ahead and and voted for Amazing, since even though I think Slott is burnt out and should have stepped down a few years ago, he is still a better writer than Chip. But Both Amazing and Spectacular are equally bad, IMO.

Yeah, the Jonah reveal issue was great. But aside from that, PPSM just feels like a really bad team up book, where Peter/Spidey is written like a corny, bad parody of himself (including a ton of forced humor and unfunny jokes) and where guest stars and villains galore are flooded into the book to carry the book instead of the actual title character. I don't know why so many say it has "gotten better" because it has only gotten worse, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I went ahead and and voted for Amazing, since even though I think Slott is burnt out and should have stepped down a few years ago, he is still a better writer than Chip. But Both Amazing and Spectacular are equally bad, IMO.

Yeah, the Jonah reveal issue was great. But aside from that, PPSM just feels like a really bad team up book, where Peter/Spidey is written like a corny, bad parody of himself (including a ton of forced humor and unfunny jokes) and where guest stars and villains galore are flooded into the book to carry the book instead of the actual title character. I don't know why so many say it has "gotten better" because it has only gotten worse, to me.
    Post issue 4 the bad humor was toned down (It's still there though), Spidey's characterization improved and he stopped acting like a teenager, and he started to act smarter, plus JJ and Betty doing reporting/detective shit, and it's hardly like a team up comic since it's still Spider-Man's story with other characters who help move the plot, issue 299 is the only one where other characters were really stealing screen time from Spidey though, since he didn't do much on it.

Also, inb4 the poll gets another tie

Incredible Member

Hm, so Peter Parker has improved quite a bit over the last few issues it seems. I read the first 5 and didn't care for it too much. I may switch back to it if Nick Spencer takes over Amazing.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    By the way, a nice thing about seeing the positive response to PPSSM is that this hopefully foreshadows a new era of competitiveness between Chip Zdarsky on PPSSM and the new creative team for ASM. I recall the days----many moons ago----when we had Stern and then DeFalco killing it on ASM and we had Peter David on PPSSM and it was a treat to see top creative teams doing their thing on their respective titles; hopefully, we get that once again.
    Did Chip ever say how long he wants to write PPSSM?

Not that I know of; and of course that longevity is ultimately up to editorial anyway but I am hoping this is a several year stint at this point.

Is there ANY possibility at all that Spectacular becomes the main Spider-Man title after Slott is finished with Amazing? Do we know for sure that a new writer will come on to write that title?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Is there ANY possibility at all that Spectacular becomes the main Spider-Man title after Slott is finished with Amazing? Do we know for sure that a new writer will come on to write that title?
    Doubt so, ASM's sells will always make it the main Spidey book, and we still don't know who the next one is gonna be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Doubt so, ASM's sells will always make it the main Spidey book, and we still don't know who the next one is gonna be.
    I know it's not probable. Just an out of the blue thought I had today.

I went in wanting to like Spectacular. but I'm voting for Amazing.

Spectacular. There’s no contest. Ever since Dan Slott took over Amazing it’s as though he’s been following Joe Quesadas formula of what Spider-Man should act like. Chip breathes a whole different life into the modern Spider-Man that isn’t tainted by the Slott conservatism. Slott killed it in the Avengers Initiative because he created a whole new universe with no preconceived baggage (that Spider-Man was carrying). Amazing has to be written formulaicly because it is a staple line. Chip has deconstructed that view and given us what Spider-Man would be like if you didn’t want to hamper him with preconceived ideas. It’s light, it’s clean slate, it’s choosing to introduce another “subject” relative, his sister, that not only makes her interesting, but distracts Peter into her drama. It’s not Spider-Man anymore. Spectacular is “Here’s my sister, and I’m Spider-Man over here”.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-06-2018 at 10:27 PM.