Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Default Superman’s city is getting a live action TV series…without Superman

Have you ever wanted to visit Metropolis? That bustling City of Tomorrow, known to comic book fans worldwide as one of the biggest cities in the DC Universe and home to the high-flying Man of Steel. Well, in 2019, you’ll get the next best thing—a weekly live action TV series set in Metropolis before the arrival of its most famous resident.

Metropolis will follow Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark and bizarre secrets. Airing exclusively on DC’s upcoming digital service, it promises to show us a wondrous and awe-inspiring City of Tomorrow, before the emergence of Superman, and establish much of the Man of Steel’s world leading up to his arrival.

If all of this is reminding you a tad of Gotham, the hit FOX #DCTV series set in Gotham before Batman was on the scene, that may be because Metropolis is being overseen by Gotham executive producers John Stephens and Danny Cannon. Both will executive produce this series, and Cannon will also direct the first episode, from a teleplay by Stephens, with story by Cannon and Stephens.

All that said, while the basic setup may be similar, fans know that there’s a world of difference between the cities of Metropolis and Gotham, suggesting that Metropolis will likely have a considerably different tone than Gotham. Superman’s villains are also more powerful, cosmic and rooted in science fiction than Batman’s, so one can only imagine there will be much less emphasis on street level gangsters and crime families in this forward-thinking city.

Metropolis is the second live action series to be announced for DC’s upcoming digital service, which promises to offer an immersive experience designed expressly for DC fans. The first series, Titans, is scheduled to debut later this year. In addition, two highly anticipated animated series, Young Justice: Outsiders and Harley Quinn, have also been announced for the service.

Metropolis, which will debut in 2019, has received a direct-to-series order for a first season of 13 episodes and will go into production later this year. For more on Metropolis and everything else related to the DC digital service, keep your eye right here on the DC website and visit www.DCFanUpdates.com to sign up for regular updates.

More to come on this one as it breaks. We wouldn’t be doing right by Lois Lane, otherwise!
    A TV series with Lois Lane as a lead character? FCK YEAH!

BANNED

I get the feeling the long-dead Lex and Lois 'ship will have new life injected into it now.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I get the feeling the long-dead Lex and Lois 'ship will have new life injected into it now.

I hope it will be like Lena Luthor and Morgan Edge right now on Supergirl. Just a violent rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Heavy on the "injection", lol!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This sounds pretty damn great, tbh.

A Harley Quinn animated series? Hmm.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I swear if Clark/Superman it's not on that show. Then it's actually pointless and waste of time to me. DC let Supergirl have Clark appear on Season 2 due to the pointless embargo when it comes to their characters appearing in Movies or TV Shows

So DC is interest in almost everything about Superman, except him of course. We got a Supergirl TV show where he is mentioned every once in a while, and when he appears he is used to prop the main character by getting his ass kicked by her, and saying that she is better than him and able to make decisions that he isn't strong enought to make. I don't know how Krypton will go, but I'm afraid we will see a lot of Superman importance being questioned. And now we will get this tv show, where we will see probably a lot of his villains being easily defeated by normal humans, that we will questioned ourselves why do Metropolis needs Superman for, plus the likely Lois/Lex relationship that just...

Whe DC announced the streaming service, I was exited, hoping to see show like Hitman, The Question... Now I will get another product that borrows from the Superman mythos without any interest on him. It's just sad, I have difficult to believe that we will see another Superman movie in the next 10 years, at best we will get some cameos on other heroes movies where he isn't used just to make them look good.

This year Superman completes 80 years of existence, and I don't think DC is doing much out o it, we will see what a true anniversary is next year, when Detective Comics hits #1000, Batman will probably have half a dozen animations, TV commercials, the publicity alone will show the difference between a character well managed and one that is not.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 01-30-2018 at 11:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So DC is interest in almost everything about Superman, except him of course.
    Oh, I'm sure they're interested. They just can't have him because another part of DC already has him.

BANNED

My interest in this deteriorated once it was mentioned that the people behind 'Gotham' are overseeing this too.

Great. Another Superman show with no Superman.

Lois being the star intrigues me, so I'll give it a shot. But I don't see how this show can go past 2 or 3 seasons without Clark/Superman showing up.

BANNED

Do they intend to make a Fortress of Solitude series as well?
    I really want to see how Kellex is spending his free time everytime Superman is not around.
    Oh, i know! He tries to protect the Fortress from the evil clutches of th Eradicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Do they intend to make a Fortress of Solitude series as well?
    I really want to see how Kellex is spending his free time everytime Superman is not around.
    Oh, i know! He tries to protect the Fortress from the evil clutches of th Eradicator.
    After that they would do a Exploring the Phantom Zone tv show.

BANNED

Focusing on characters that have historically had far less exposure than Superman is a good thing.

The best thing about this is that Superman won't be appearing in it and taking up space. Now if only different people were in charge, I might actually give it a look.

Let me guess, like Gordon’s mustache, Lex won’t become bald until the series finale?
    Anyway, I’d probably watch this. Concept wise, this sounds more appealing to me, than Krypton. but the more Superman prequels and Superspinoffs they make, the more I wish they’d just give us a real Superman show.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 01-30-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

On the one hand, Jesus Christ, a third Superman show running without Superman in it? But a Lois-led show about defining Metropolis as a whole is actually at least somewhat interesting by contrast to, say, Krypton. This is by no means a non-starter of a premise.
    Buh-bye