Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    109

    Default Doom Patrol: Post vertigo

    Almost done with Vertigo Doom Patrol which I generally like because of narrative experiments especially Morrison's playfulness with Postmodern techniques and themes (W. Burroughs, Borges). Based on above would you recommend DCU versions or skip to Young Animal?

  2. #2
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallo View Post
    Almost done with Vertigo Doom Patrol which I generally like because of narrative experiments especially Morrison's playfulness with Postmodern techniques and themes (W. Burroughs, Borges). Based on above would you recommend DCU versions or skip to Young Animal?
    I recommend the Giffen run (vol 5). The Arcudi run (vol 3) also gets high marks, but I haven't read it. John Byrne's vol 4 I'm really not sure about.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,147

    Default

    I will second the Arudi and Giffen runs. Both kept that same weird feel while still being firmly grounded in the main DCU. The Byrne run I think is skipable and not really worth reading.


  4. #4
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    If you're looking for good stories pretty much everything that came after Morrison's run is entertaining enough. However, if you're looking for something as revelatory and impeccably written as Morrison's stuff, tough luck my friend, that's as good as it gets. You're better off just reading more Grant Morrison if it's his writing that drew you in
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    If you're looking for good stories pretty much everything that came after Morrison's run is entertaining enough. However, if you're looking for something as revelatory and impeccably written as Morrison's stuff, tough luck my friend, that's as good as it gets. You're better off just reading more Grant Morrison if it's his writing that drew you in
    After Vertigo DP plan is to read Invisibles but want "standard entertaining" superhero stories as breaks between reading sessions. Apparently DCU DP will fit latter.

  6. #6
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    Out of curiosity, did you read Rachel Pollack's version (post Morrison Vertigo)? And if so, what was your impression. It's easy to like Morrison, but other writers can be a little more of an acquired taste.

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you read Rachel Pollack's version (post Morrison Vertigo)? And if so, what was your impression. It's easy to like Morrison, but other writers can be a little more of an acquired taste.
    Yes...still processing her stories...I like her ambition more than her execution.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,830

    Default

    Arcudi's run is excellent. Pretty close to Morrison's in quality IMO.

    I've only read the first TPB of Giffen's run, but I found it quite a dull painful slog.

  9. #9
    Dirt Wizard Goggindowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Aether
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Out of what I have read, the current Young Animals run is as close to the tone of Morrison's run that I've seen.

    Skip entirely the John Byrne volume. It wasn't even really Doom Patrol and is hands down my least favorite volume of the series.

    And just for context, Morrison's run on DP is in my top three comic series of all time.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

    Billy and Dan Read Comics!

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    I really enjoyed the Giffen run. He found a way to combine all the continuity and aspects of the Doom Patrol into one series. It had the usual Giffen dark humor but he mixed in some of the craziness of Grantís run and the fun of the Silver Age Drake/Primiani Doom Patrol. Plus it had one of the best endings to a series ever.

    Arcudiís run was enjoyable as well. So Iíd recommend both of these runs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •