Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Phoenix Ressurecrion #5 SPOILERS!

Okay, so here’s all the important stuff:
    -Phoenix has finally learned to leave Jean alone
    -Scott came back and said goodbye to Jean before dying
    -Old Man Logan fucked up bad while trying to help Jean

I'll wait for X-Men: Red, but this mini series was lackluster. Could have been 2 issues.

Ha! Beat me to it. Here's my synopsis:

Phoenix Resurrection #5: In the end, there were spoilers

The door chimes as Old Man Logan walks in to Annie’s diner and sits down. Jean pours him a cup of coffee as he comments that she looks like someone he knows. She says the same about him. Annie asks Logan if he wants his coffee to go. He ignores her and reaches out to Jean, asking her to remember. To realize what is and isn’t real.

Jean pulls away, fearful. Annie pulls in and is about to demand that Logan leave. Logan cuts the illusion’s throat as Jean screams.

The X-Men wait anxiously outside the diner. The Phoenix raptor has disappeared and now it starts to rain. The egg has started to crumble and the outside world is breaking in.

Inside the diner, Jean looks on in horror over Annie’s “corpse.” Logan says he’s here to wake Jean up. Annie rises and tries to reassure Jean, but Logan presses forward. He says he needs Jean to remember who she is, claws poised ready to strike. Finally, it sinks in. Jean murmurs “Logan”, fire blazing in her eyes.

The diner explodes, hurling Logan towards the X-Men. His job is done. Jean remembers. Out she walks, dressed in a black and red Phoenix costume. Jean lands in front of the X-Men who all stare in worried silence. Jean says hello to them, commenting on teen Scott and how he’s both so young and afraid of her. Hank asks Jean if this is who she is. Jean says this is who she’s always been.

The Phoenix erupts from Jean as she screams. The X-Men are ready to attack, but Kitty tells them to stand-down. This is Jean’s fight. “For the moment,” replies Ororo.

The Phoenix takes Annie’s form. She warns Jean away from the X-Men. They’re tricking her. With the Phoenix, Jean can remake the world any way she wants. Jean insists she wants nothing. Then the images of her parents appear, urging her to embrace the Phoenix. If she does, she can save everyone, including all the ones she loved who are gone. Jean cries and lashes out with her power, her own power, and rejects the Phoenix again.

The bird hovers over in its true form and Jean screams she wants nothing from it. A hazy figure appears, calling Jean’s name. It’s Scott in his Revolution uniform. Jean pushes him away, thinking him another illusion the Phoenix made to manipulate her.

Except…she can see his memories. This Scott is real.

She sees it all in his head. He got sick. He died. And she couldn’t do anything about it. She was already dead, he reminds her, but they’re here together now. Jean tells him to lift his visor. He hesitates, but does. And they embrace. Scott tells her he’s sorry for everything that happened to her and to them. Jean says she knows and that she’s sorry too, as the Phoenix rises again. Jean and Scott each affirm they’ll always love each other and then Scott’s form withers as whatever life was in him passes away. Jean gently lays his body down and turns to face the Phoenix.

Jean says she know the Phoenix was trying to hurt her with that, but Jean got to see her husband one final time and that’s all she wanted. She’s done with the Phoenix. And she won’t let it hurt her anyone she loves again. (the Phoenix actually looks sad at this)

Jean goes on. The Phoenix gave her help once. She doesn’t know why or why it keeps coming back to her. The Phoenix used to make her feel special. Now she feels nothing. She should have died on that shuttle, but the Phoenix keeps bringing her back. They both wanted things from the other, things they shouldn’t have. Jean doesn’t know what the Phoenix’s destiny is. But it’s not her.

The Phoenix has shrunk in stature at Jean’s words, now looking at her face-to-face, but it makes one last attempt to win her over, changing Jean’s form over and over as it offers her a world of scenarios. Of lives she’s already lived.

Dark Phoenix: Don’t you understand, Jean Grey? Together we can be gods.
    White Phoenix: Then we can transcend this place.
    X-Factor: Or hide together.
    New X-Men: Or we can become your best self.
    Marvel Girl: Or we can simply go back to the way things were before any of this. We can forget any of this happened.

Jean talks back. The Phoenix can’t protect her from death…or life. She needs to feel things on her own, even pain and loss. Phoenix asserts she’ll die without it. The people she loves will die. Jean says she knows, but to be allowed to live she must let go. And so does the Phoenix. Jean can’t be what it wants her to be, so the Phoenix needs to forget her.

Jean reaches out to the raptor, which has shrunk down to the size of an ordinary bird. It rests quietly in her hand for a moment, and then tells her goodbye as its flames are snuffed out.

Finally free, Jean falls to her knees next to Scott’s lifeless body in the pouring rain. Beast kneels down to her as the X-Men look on.

Beast: Welcome home, Jean.

BANNED

As for the Phoenix itself...

I hate that this changed artists mid way. I thought Yu was drwing the whole thing

I think OML didn't open his eyes a single time in this issue. Very relatable.

I felt it for the Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I hate that this changed artists mid way. I thought Yu was drwing the whole thing
    Me too, but honestly I felt like the other artist could've done all the issue. His art had more feeling.

BANNED

Yes. She snuffed it out. Which makes me think it went nowhere. At the most she made it dormant. If it went away, it would have FLOWN away and been shown shooting into space.

At the same time the writer and editors needed to come up with a way why Jean just didn't fix all the world's problems. We saw her as the all powerful white Phoenix of the crown in HCT.

I'm glad Jean dealt with the situation herself, and it wasn't that she gained control because she loved Logan or Scott. Thank god.......

I'm just gonna copy paste some of my thoughts from Jean's thread.

>Maybe like in a year they're gonna push Jean/Phoenix again already and I'm gonna feel stupid at this, but, I feel like this is really a goodbye, for a long time. And it honestly makes me feel really sad. I always loved Jean as Phoenix, and, reading this issue, I was pretty much relating to the Phoenix. It's like I felt Jean saying that harsh truth to me, and like Phoenix, I just had to sit down and accept it, cause deep down I knew it was how she would feel.

>It upsets me too how the Phoenix is always portrayed as evil now, but I actually didn't felt that on that issue. I felt like she really had the best intentions and wanted to make Jean happy. She just doesn't understand, she never truly understood what it is to be human, and Jean is probably one of the people who does it the most. I think that's what she really sees in her, besides all the powerful omega mutant stuff. I don't think Jean wanted to die on the shuffle, but she feels like it's what would be right. Technically she could have still saved the X-Men without the Phoenix, she would just have died on the process. You know, that's what really makes me feel so much about this issue. I understand it, but deep down I'm still selfish and it just pains me that things are not the way I want.

Also loved the moment with Scott. My big complain about this issue and the series in general... We don't actually get to see Jean with her friends and family. I wanna see them talking to her again for the first time. Hugs, all the stuff. If Red had a more familiar roster I guess that wouldn't be a problem, but it feels like we're just never gonna get that since she's gonna be moving on to something different with other people already.

(copy and pasted from jean thread)

i personally just didn't enjoy this conclusion.

I think this issue is emotional for two sets of readers

1) those who wanted Jean and Scott to have a moment
    2) those who want jean to remain with the Phoenix force (or at least cared about this relationship).

Personally I didn't care about either of these happening. I have no preference as to wherher jean stays with the Phoenix or not. I mean I acknowledge it was objectively good to see these two moments, and they are two story elements marked off the checklist of things that needed to happen...but I was mostly wanting a throw down between jean and the Phoenix, and I also wanted some emotional interactions with all of her friends... and we got neither.

When I look back at some previous jean books or events I can remember specific emotional details. I feel that when I look back at this event, all I'll remember is "jean came back."
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Dang. So we didn't get anything Rosenberg kept tweeting "keep reading" for:

-No reason Kitty mentions Legion
    -No Surge ;(

Uhhhhhhhh that's it, I think? Besides that, it's a great, emotional comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    (copy and pasted from jean thread)

i personally just didn't enjoy this conclusion.

I think this issue is emotional for two sets of readers

1) those who wanted Jean and Scott to have a moment
    2) those who want jean to remain with the Phoenix force (or at least cared about this relationship).

Personally I didn't care about either of these happening. I have no preference as to wherher jean stays with the Phoenix or not. I mean I acknowledge it was objectively good to see these two moments, and they are two story elements marked off the checklist of things that needed to happen...but I was mostly wanting a throw down between jean and the Phoenix, and I also wanted some emotional interactions with all of her friends... and we got neither.

When I look back at some previous jean books or events I can remember specific emotional details. I feel that when I look back at this event, all I'll remember is "jean came back."
    I agree. The entire series was lackluster. In part because it included too many X-Men, and it simply drug things out for way too long.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I'm not the emotional type, but this story kinda hit me. Damn Jean lost alot of people she cared about over the years.The phoenix sorta seemed to be trying to protect Jean in it's own sorta way.That splash page of Jean in the Black and red was cool looking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    Okay, so here’s all the important stuff:
    -Phoenix has finally learned to leave Jean alone
    -Scott came back and said goodbye to Jean before dying
    -Old Man Logan fucked up bad while trying to help Jean
    If you believe this I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. How'd the No More Phoenix spell work out?

People forget easy but Phoenix is not a destructive being by nature or bad. Even a God or Cosmic being has his own will and desires.

And we come to the end overall would say that as a whole this story was not as epic as expected but maybe the problem is me for putting my expectations very high. But this last issue deserves every penny was a great homage to the whole story of Jean and his relationship with the Phoenix perhaps closing this once and for all.

Decompression in comics is a complicated thing not everyone can make it work in general think they abuse too much of it and at the wrong times but in certain situations as in this last issue each picture tells a story and has a great emotional appeal.

We can say that the Phoenix in this story represents the final temptation for Jean. She offered Jean everything she could want or make every possible choice be a Goddess, change the past, to be with the one she loves the most (which makes me wonder if Phoenix stole Cyclops body for Emma's or created a new one before resuscing him?). But in the end Jean decided to give up all this. I know some will not like this but given the circumstances it was for the better.

So if I have to put a rank just for this issue think 9 is perfect.
    Now as a whole this event deserves a 7 or 8.

Welcome back Red, we missed you .