Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I'm not sure how I feel about the conclusion to the story. On the one hand, I understand how difficult it is to have a character as powerful as Phoenix in a team-book setting, but on the other it's always felt like the most natural progression and evolution of Jean Grey is to accept her destiny as the (one, true, queen) Phoenix. I would've preferred Jean to have told the Phoenix that she simply isn't ready to accept it yet, and needs more time to live her life as a normal person without the get-out-of-death free card vs. rejecting it outright. I also found it hard to believe anyone would find out that their entire family and husband are dead, know they have the power to bring them back to life, and decide not to.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    She broke that bird's heart!
    41672D17-4283-4F50-ADAF-636633AEB064.jpg
    I didn’t expect this to be so sad

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm predicting it's going to go for Jeen now
    Yeah, it seems that way after reading Jean Grey #11
    Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 01-31-2018 at 10:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    What if phoenix bonds with someone else?
    That's how the Phoenix is going to come back to Jean. It bonds with someone else that person can't handle it or is very similar to Jean in every way. And so Jean decided to take the Phoenix back.

Boom Jean is back with the Phoenix again. -_- Watch it happen.

I think Marvel's plans are to keep Jean and Phoenix separate. They want to keep using Phoenix as a random villain or plot device on other books like Thor and Thanos. Which is the most upsetting thing for me.

I guess Cable is still knocked out? Pass.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I guess Cable is still knocked out? Pass.
    Guess he’s laying next to Rachel, I still don’t understand what knocked her out.

One of the best scenes each version of Jean with the best and worst of his life summarized on one page simply beautiful and perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Not really. Marvel just recently created a major cosmic entity (up there with Eternity and Death) whose catch phrase is something like "nothing ever dies." Frankly, Phoenix is redundant.

Anyway, thank you, Rosenberg, for the single most boring Phoenix story ever.
    Well maybe at least for the X-mens then.

And agree we have a Galactus Lifebringer now stealing the function of PHOENIX . I have always considered the two opposites in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Agreed. The first 2 issues could have been condensed into one. 3 and 4 could have been one. 5 could have been its own and we should have gotten an extra epilogue issue
    Decompression in comics has really been a poorly used feature. This type of model should only be used in single moments and not during all the history.It worked with Jean and Scott or the conversation with Phoenix but it does not work with characters chatting during action scenes or to make the middle of the story work.And yes, we lost a lot of time with the clone fights.

I’m gonna need that cyclops jean scene

I'm not sure where I fall on this mini as a whole exactly and need further time to digest. I try to measure my expectations with Marvel so ultimately the one thing I wanted for sure was for Jean to be the one to decide what she wanted. She did, through no manipulations or encouragements of anyone else. Just herself, and it was pretty consistent with her history of a character.

She may be attracted to the idea of cosmic power, but ultimately she doesn't want to hold the universe in her hands. Nor does she want to be anyone's plaything. She just wants to be herself, and now she gets another chance to do that.

So I'm cool with that.

This page is simply amazing, I can't stop loving the New X-Men outfit.

In general though, I have mixed feelings about the issue, I understand where they were trying to go, but I hate to see the Phoenix leave (for now), I honestly felt sad for the Phoenix on the last pages and I really think Jean could've accepted the Phoenix and still live her life, kind of like a Morrison's Jean in that she had the Phoenix, but now with waaaay more control.

IDK, I like Phoenix Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I'm not sure where I fall on this mini as a whole exactly and need further time to digest. I try to measure my expectations with Marvel so ultimately the one thing I wanted for sure was for Jean to be the one to decide what she wanted. She did, through no manipulations or encouragements of anyone else. Just herself, and it was pretty consistent with her history of a character.

She may be attracted to the idea of cosmic power, but ultimately she doesn't want to hold the universe in her hands. Nor does she want to be anyone's plaything. She just wants to be herself, and now she gets another chance to do that.

So I'm cool with that.
    Cheers.jpg

The destination is important but not important as the journey .
    Jean is back my friends this is all that matters now.

Wow, a lot going in the last issue. I'm really of two minds about how Jean broke free. On one hand I'm happy that this story gave her some real agency. Jean has been backed into a lot of Phoenix related corners over the years where she didn't really have much of a choice. This story puts the descision firmly in Jean's hands and I much prefer that to the X-Men "saving" her.

On the other hand this also rolls back Jean's evolution as a character integrated with the Phoenix Force. Jean has been the only one to truly embrace the PF over the years, both in Morrison's run and Endsong and be able to co-exist with it. To have that walked back here is dissapointing. It also begs the question of what Jean's been up to since her last death and what caused her and the PF to split since they seemed integrated by the end of Endsong. Does this invalidate HCT and Endsong? I guess we'll have to wait and see. As some of you have said, I also doubt this is the end of Jean's association with the PF.

I thought the art was very well done. That's the most recognizable I've seen Jean in a long time. Her dialogue fit as well so I really came away with the feeling that this is "our" Jean, something I never really felt reading Jeen with either Bendis or Bunn. I have to give Rosenberg some praise for that since that was my number 1 requirement for this series. It's too bad it came in issue 5 but I'll take it.

Finally I want to acknowledge, as some other here have said, how well done Jean's scene with Scott was done. Rosenberg said everything that needed to be said and nothing that didn't. It's been 15 years or more since I've seen my favorite fictional couple having a moment that made me smile. That was nice and I appreciate Rosenberg and Marvel tipping the hat to us Jott fans with that. I understand why Rosenberg focused on Jean's interaction with Scott here versus the rest of the X-Men. Jean will have the rest of her life to catch up with Storm and Hank, but this was the only convienient opportunity for Marvel to give Scott and Jean a moment. I also feel like there was a certain finality to it. I'm much more convinced now that Cyke will be gone for a good long while.

This was definitely the high water mark of the series. I agree with those who point out that it could have been done in 3 books instead. So I paid $30 to get Jean back. That's a small price to pay. Marvel was always going to maximize the profit on Jean's return. I'm just glad she's back.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It upsets me too how the Phoenix is always portrayed as evil now, but I actually didn't felt that on that issue. I felt like she really had the best intentions and wanted to make Jean happy. She just doesn't understand,...
    But the Phoenix even being AROUND, as a distinct firebird-thing, is evil. Alan Davis established that way back in Excalibur - every moment it exists as a conscious entity, playing God, it's basically eating unborn children (or, at least, preventing them from ever coming into being). In its relatively inert state, it expresses life - but the big cosmic parrot mortgages life, which has to be "paid back" later by that life never coming into being.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    This page is simply amazing, I can't stop loving the New X-Men outfit.

In general though, I have mixed feelings about the issue, I understand where they were trying to go, but I hate to see the Phoenix leave (for now), I honestly felt sad for the Phoenix on the last pages and I really think Jean could've accepted the Phoenix and still live her life, kind of like a Morrison's Jean in that she had the Phoenix, but now with waaaay more control.

IDK, I like Phoenix Jean.
    Me too! Phoenix is right about "Best Self".

I really liked it. The best of the whole series, the best i read in a while. Nevertheless it could be made in three books.

I loved this issue, even if it didnīt ended where i wanted. I wanted PF and Jean to end in a more integrated way, like the christian holy trinity thatīs how I expected the Jean/PF relationship. So you could still have regular Jean with a PF potential. Like in the morrison run. But with a clearer relationship between the two.

9/10: Jean + Parents.
    10/10: Jean + Scott.
    10/10: Jean + PF conversation.
    5/10: the rest.
    7/10: Artist. Someone more expressive as an artist would have been better.

The only thing lacking was not having a clearer message of why PF chooses Jean, a simple "i love you" from Phoenix to Jean would have been enough. Though itīs implied by context.
    Last edited by Gortam; 01-31-2018 at 10:07 AM.