Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Default Ok so lets talk Superfly

I think SOME blaxploitation films can be rehabilitated, films like Coffy, Foxy Brown, Shaft, Black Belt Jones. Basically the ones with the heroes. The ones with anti-heroes are probably going to be harder to sell, especially in the age of social justice movements, and and the rise of Marvel's Black Panther. What's your thoughts?

I think gangster films/crime films/anti-heroes are always gonna be in style because they do reflect life and people have a curiosity about these things.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Ok so, i grew up on cult films, Grindhouse, Exploitation films, Wuxia, Sexploitation, Heroic Bloodshed, and especially Blaxploitation. I do think it would be difficult to make something like Dolomite mainstream, AND do it justice. The new Superfly is going to get criticism because it's a glorified hood film (not to mention the terrible Trap music replacing Curtis Mayfield's awesome soundtrack), there's already conspiracy theories swirling around about it because it's being made after Black Panther's huge success and the positive message it had. So i don't know, it's hard to say.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

For those curious here's the trailer to the original

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Ok so, i grew up on cult films, Grindhouse, Exploitation films, Wuxia, Sexploitation, Heroic Bloodshed, and especially Blaxploitation. I do think it would be difficult to make something like Dolomite mainstream, AND do it justice. The new Superfly is going to get criticism because it's a glorified hood film (not to mention the terrible Trap music replacing Curtis Mayfield's awesome soundtrack), there's already conspiracy theories swirling around about it because it's being made after Black Panther's huge success and the positive message it had. So i don't know, it's hard to say.
    This mess was greenlighted in December and it's already done for June 2018 release.

So yes folks are already questioning how this got done so quick when other films that don't worship this nonsense have o fight everybody to get made. Then get a theater to show in.

Folks are fed up with the cries for better stuff to be made and it get PICKED apart for every little thing-ESPECIALLY if there are biracial females in it (Wrinkle in Time) or what roles do the women play (Creed & Black Panther) or can it be used as a weapon to belittle interracial relationships (Get Out) or the subject matter is taboo (Moonlight) or it shows a lifestyle that is FOREIGN to Pookie &Ray Ray (Dear White People & Dope).

Meanwhile stuff like this gets made and your blackness will get questioned if yo don't go see it. Because it's ONLY entertainment (Girl Trip). But all those other film were only entertainment too but are held to a different standard.

That film looks like an extended music video with some guy wearing either President Trump's or Will Shatner's hairpiece and a huge guy that needs a BRA worst than Big E Langston.

A few things...

- Why would you try to remake a film where a perfect version of it has already been made?

- It seems like everyone in that run up to the trailer has never seen the original film.

- That fellow sure ain't no Ron O'Neal.

Mighty Member

doing a remake of 'Superfly' without the original Curtis Mayfield soundtrack just doesn't seem like a great idea to me. some films have a soundtrack that's such an important part of the movie experience that to change it actually changes the film. I mean, would somebody do a remake of "Star Wars" without the original John Williams score? yeah, I guess you could do it, but something would obviously be different/missing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I think SOME blaxploitation films can be rehabilitated, films like Coffy, Foxy Brown, Shaft, Black Belt Jones. Basically the ones with the heroes. The ones with anti-heroes are probably going to be harder to sell, especially in the age of social justice movements, and and the rise of Marvel's Black Panther. What's your thoughts?

As stupid as the idea is this trailer is awesome. Positioned the right way (not on Blockbuster multi release weekend) this could be a hit. How is this any worse than Fox's Empire? Cheese and sleaze and updated to reflect the current fascination for Gangsta culture? Just watch the Bloods and Crips shoot it out in real life at your local multiplex. Any theatre chain that shows this without metal detectors and massive police presence would have to be run by insane and suicidal people. To those that decry the lack of any connection to the original. The original was a piece of crap as well. Who cares what they do with this?

Extraordinary Member

Ron O' Neal wore a perm this dude's perm is wearing him. Remakes...

BANNED

looks boring, predictable, and cheaply made. director x's music videos aren't very inspired at all and calling him a "visionary filmmaker" has to be a joke. no way would I pay to watch a 2 hour music video version of Super Fly when the far superior original still exists

Ultimate Member

I don't know if I'd call this re-make a hard sell at all. Black people as gangsters and pimps is a stereotype that's somewhat commercial.

"Level Headed Black Scientist:The Neil Degrasse Tyson Story!" would be a hard sell.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    As stupid as the idea is this trailer is awesome. Positioned the right way (not on Blockbuster multi release weekend) this could be a hit. How is this any worse than Fox's Empire? Cheese and sleaze and updated to reflect the current fascination for Gangsta culture? Just watch the Bloods and Crips shoot it out in real life at your local multiplex. Any theatre chain that shows this without metal detectors and massive police presence would have to be run by insane and suicidal people. To those that decry the lack of any connection to the original. The original was a piece of crap as well. Who cares what they do with this?
    Or they could just go see a Batman sequel

Or an Amy Schumer film

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't know if I'd call this re-make a hard sell at all. Black people as gangsters and pimps is a stereotype that's somewhat commercial.

"Level Headed Black Scientist:The Neil Degrasse Tyson Story!" would be a hard sell.
    Even back in the day these films had critics, there's noway a modern retelling of those films could get away with no blow back. I think the culture is changing as far as black films go. On the other hand black people are not monolithic and tend to disagree A LOT on what makes a great black film

Mighty Member

Default Superfly Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    looks boring, predictable, and cheaply made. director x's music videos aren't very inspired at all and calling him a "visionary filmmaker" has to be a joke. no way would I pay to watch a 2 hour music video version of Super Fly when the far superior original still exists
    The original was boring predictable and cheaply made. There's no saving the Blaxploitation era. The fact that the majority of movie goers would go see this and not even know who director x is or care is what's really going on here. The fact that you do and don't see either version as popcorn fodder surprises me. You want to see reverse role Blaxploitation at it's worse check out Equaliser with Fuqua and Denzil. Boring and Predictable doesn't even begin to describe that one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Or they could just go see a Batman sequel

Or an Amy Schumer film
    Dear God man. All I can think of is Schumer as Batgirl directed by Schumacher.