Page 491 of 613 FirstFirst ... 391441481487488489490491492493494495501541591 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,365 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    OMG, my jokes about Jon replacing Superman are older than I recalled. ��

One of my reasons for having joked more than once about it is that I don't view Jon as Superman's "Damian" but as his "Connor Hawke" or "Kyle Rayner", a young legacy character that DC is pushing to appeal to a (younger) audience that in DC's mind the original character couldn't reach.
    I feel like he wasn't that at first, at least. I like Kid!Jon so much.

It's going to be lit when Jon becomes Superman and everyone starts hating him as much I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    It's going to be lit when Jon becomes Superman and everyone starts hating him as much I do now.
    I'm of the opinion that this isn't even the real Jon, but Ultraman posing as Jon in order to screw around with the main Superman's world in the guise of his son. Meanwhile the real Jon is stuck in the daycare from hell on Earth 3, ran by the Crime Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    I hate him bad but I'll feel bad for the fans. Because, while there's always been a disconnect there between me and them because I've never liked the character, at the same time they've never asked for this either.

If I gave them enough credit, I'd almost consider it intentional sabotage. But I don't give them that much credit, I just think Bendis pitched a very bad idea that they liked (and I do believe 100% that the entire initiative is his, its just too much like ANAD Marvel).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-17-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The question of “why” DC wanted Jon aged up is kind of head scratching though. If you don’t want him in the Superbooks you can contain him to Super-Sons with Damian and just not have him in the books or with very brief cameo’d like how Snyder handled Damian in his Batman run. And I’ve seen other creators I respect like Busiek say they’d have handled Jon similar to Bendis so I kinda wonder why he presents such a problem.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Nevermind. Found what I was looking for.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-17-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The question of “why” DC wanted Jon aged up is kind of head scratching though. If you don’t want him in the Superbooks you can contain him to Super-Sons with Damian and just not have him in the books or with very brief cameo’d like how Snyder handled Damian in his Batman run. And I’ve seen other creators I respect like Busiek say they’d have handled Jon similar to Bendis so I kinda wonder why he presents such a problem.
    Until we know more about 5G, it's kinda hard to answer these type of questions. Like sure, Didio and Lee are the ones behind the general idea of 5G. But we don't know how much control they gave the writers handling these 5G books and replacements.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think what it comes down to is that a lot of creators (and members of DC editorial) don't really get the appeal of kid characters or aren't comfortable writing them. Perhaps writers fear they'll just end up writing some annoying brat who everyone hates or maybe they aren't any good at capturing the voice of kids. It's silly, but it seems to be an area of weakness for a lot of writers.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I think what it comes down to is that a lot of creators (and members of DC editorial) don't really get the appeal of kid characters or aren't comfortable writing them. Perhaps writers fear they'll just end up writing some annoying brat who everyone hates or maybe they aren't any good at capturing the voice of kids. It's silly, but it seems to be an area of weakness for a lot of writers.
    I could see people feeling more comfortable writing teenagers then prepubescent kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could see people feeling more comfortable writing teenagers then prepubescent kids.
    This I can see, to a point, but then you point out Dick Grayson and his whole generation starting out young, Damian from even earlier, etc. And it starts to lose what credence it held.

People who liked Jon as a kid will still like Jon as a kid. If anything, we'll be getting fanfics about how this is just a clone made by the Crime Syndicate and the real Jon is trapped on Earth 3 and needs to be rescued.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    People who liked Jon as a kid will still like Jon as a kid. If anything, we'll be getting fanfics about how this is just a clone made by the Crime Syndicate and the real Jon is trapped on Earth 3 and needs to be rescued.
    I don't know..5 years from now, I doubt as many people will care depending on how things have gone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Granted, the simple solution is to keep kid characters in the hands of writers who are actually comfortable writing them.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't know..5 years from now, I doubt as many people will care depending on how things have gone.
    Yeah, that's what they probably thought about Wally West fans in 2011. People will still care.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, that's what they probably thought about Wally West fans in 2011. People will still care.
    Wally was around for over 40 years and Flash for over 20. Jon just hasn't had that kind of longevity - hasn't had the time to build up the same depth of caring. And I say that as someone who likes Kid!him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Wally was around for over 40 years and Flash for over 20. Jon just hasn't had that kind of longevity - hasn't had the time to build up the same depth of caring. And I say that as someone who likes Kid!him.
    Doesn't matter in this case. Longevity is important, but if something makes an impact with people, they'll remember. I'm sure DC was hoping everyone would be fully on board with the new direction by now, yet people haven't forgotten the Jon Kent of old. Hell, people still remember Chris Kent and he was around for a much shorter time.
    Currently Reading: