Page 492 of 613 FirstFirst ... 392442482488489490491492493494495496502542592 ... LastLast
Results 7,366 to 7,380 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Doesn't matter in this case. Longevity is important, but if something makes an impact with people, they'll remember. I'm sure DC was hoping everyone would be fully on board with the new direction by now, yet people haven't forgotten the Jon Kent of old. Hell, people still remember Chris Kent and he was around for a much shorter time.
    Yeah, sure, some people remember Chris. But mostly with a wistful what-might-have-been or an annoyance adopted kid was tossed for a biological one or as a story that makes Jon's speed-aging worse/repetitive. I liked him (particularly with Thara). But I don't see much clamoring to bring him back, and when they decided Lois and Clark should be parents again, Chris was not tapped for the role of son.

Jon has already shown up in outside media like Young Justice, Lego DC Supervillains, he might cameo in the upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths TV crossover, etc. Once a character makes the leap to outside media that pretty much guarantees they’ll stick around. And Jon is still showing up in non mainline books like DCEASED, or the books aimed at kids. Much as some dislike him I don’t see Jon going the way of Chris unless they separate Lois and Clark again. Much as we might like to pretend otherwise, Jon being Clark’s biological son matters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yeah, sure, some people remember Chris. But mostly with a wistful what-might-have-been or an annoyance adopted kid was tossed for a biological one or as a story that makes Jon's speed-aging worse/repetitive. I liked him (particularly with Thara). But I don't see much clamoring to bring him back, and when they decided Lois and Clark should be parents again, Chris was not tapped for the role of son.
    We'll see, but I do think you underestimate the impact young Jon made. Tomasi struck a cord for a lot of people and I do believe we will see that impact endure.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    We'll see, but I do think you underestimate the impact young Jon made. Tomasi struck a cord for a lot of people and I do believe we will see that impact endure.
    Jon will be remembered by his die hard fans but everyone else will move on. The Superman line tossing characters aside is habitual.

Remember Linda Danvers? She had her own comic for seven years and was a staple of the DC Universe, but she hasn't been seen since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Jon will be remembered by his die hard fans but everyone else will move on. The Superman line tossing characters aside is habitual.

Remember Linda Danvers? She had her own comic for seven years and was a staple of the DC Universe, but she hasn't been seen since 2008.
    She got replaced with Kara Zor-El though, and she got replaced because Didio realized how utterly stupid the ban on other Kryptonians was because writers did all these insane ass pulls to get around it. Kind of a different situation.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Once a character makes the leap to outside media that pretty much guarantees they’ll stick around.
    Tell that to Cisco Ramon/Vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Tell that to Cisco Ramon/Vibe.
    I did say “pretty much” . Man DC are morons for not pushing Vibe more, why the hell isn't he on the Titans or Young Justice?

SPOILERS for upcoming plans.

spoilers:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...endis.amp.html yep Clark is going public about his secret identity in issue 18. Bendis compares it to his outing of Daredevil meaning he probably intends for this to be the long term status quo for his run.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Jon has already shown up in outside media like Young Justice, Lego DC Supervillains, he might cameo in the upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths TV crossover, etc. Once a character makes the leap to outside media that pretty much guarantees they’ll stick around. And Jon is still showing up in non mainline books like DCEASED, or the books aimed at kids. Much as some dislike him I don’t see Jon going the way of Chris unless they separate Lois and Clark again. Much as we might like to pretend otherwise, Jon being Clark’s biological son matters.
    I wouldn't say that this is really written in stone. It just depends on a lot of different factors. Someone mentioned Cisco/Vibe, but - for example - IMHO also Cyborg belongs to the same league. They keep pushing him, he was also in the JL movie but I really don't think that his fanbase is as large as someone could think or hope for. The same could be said for Bumblebee, who - as far as I know - is in the cast of Super Hero Girls series, but she is barely known in the comics.

Again, there are a lot of different cases. Tim Drake is one of the most important and oldest DC teen superheroes, but his appearances in other media are relatively few. I'd say that his most important role was in the Bruce Timm animated series, but - even people tends to forget about it - he was basically Jason Todd with no discernible Tim Drake features except for his name. Basically he matters in comic books, but in other media not so much.

At the moment, DC is pushing Conner Kent - in Titans, Young Justice etc. - and I have a feeling that as long as Conner Kent is around, we won't see much of Jon in other media. Right now, they are simply too similar to each other - and pushing wide-eyed kid Jon may prove too difficult for entirely different reasons. IMHO if they really wanted to push him they should focus on something VERY specific, like a Supersons series (where the real pull would be Damian though) or a Superfamily series like the one which got cancelled. But I don't think that this is the direction they are aiming at. He has his own fanbase at the moment, but it is not THAT large and he's simply too young a creation to say that he matters.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I did say “pretty much” . Man DC are morons for not pushing Vibe more, why the hell isn't he on the Titans or Young Justice?
    Yeah, usually a popular TV revamp is enough to get a character some attention but DC seems pretty comfortable pretending Vibe doesn't exist.

Maybe Didio really doesn't like Vibe?

SPOILERS for upcoming plans.

spoilers:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...endis.amp.html yep Clark is going public about his secret identity in issue 18. Bendis compares it to his outing of Daredevil meaning he probably intends for this to be the long term status quo for his run.
    end of spoilers
    *Sigh* This again, huh? Wonder how long before it's reversed.

I guess that answers the question of how they'll explain Jon to everyone at the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendis
    “I didn’t want to stir things up right away,”
    And yet that is exactly what the **** you did!

“I had to earn my place.”
    When did you do that!? You took off running and haven't slowed down yet!
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-18-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, usually a popular TV revamp is enough to get a character some attention but DC seems pretty comfortable pretending Vibe doesn't exist.

Maybe Didio really doesn't like Vibe?
    Maybe. But I'm willing to bet Vibe doesn't register enough for Didio to have much of an opinion either way. Perhaps DC said "Okay, Vibe is popular on the CW so let's revamp him for the New52."

And they had Johns build the foundation for Nu-Vibe and threw him into a solo and a JL book.

Then Vibe's book (which wasn't amazing but was solid) failed, and DC decided that despite the CW, Vibe just doesn't have the same pull with the publishing's audience. Maybe they think the shadow of 80's Vibe is still too big in fandom's mind. And even if they think he still has potential, he's just not a big enough priority to get attention over other IP's. Perhaps if DC had more resources and could push more books Vibe would make the cut, but its a case of "We think we could do something with him, but these other characters seem to have more potential so Vibe's gonna have to wait."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    *Sigh* This again, huh? Wonder how long before it's reversed.
    It'll last until 5G happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Maybe. But I'm willing to bet Vibe doesn't register enough for Didio to have much of an opinion either way. Perhaps DC said "Okay, Vibe is popular on the CW so let's revamp him for the New52."

And they had Johns build the foundation for Nu-Vibe and threw him into a solo and a JL book.

Then Vibe's book (which wasn't amazing but was solid) failed, and DC decided that despite the CW, Vibe just doesn't have the same pull with the publishing's audience. Maybe they think the shadow of 80's Vibe is still too big in fandom's mind. And even if they think he still has potential, he's just not a big enough priority to get attention over other IP's. Perhaps if DC had more resources and could push more books Vibe would make the cut, but its a case of "We think we could do something with him, but these other characters seem to have more potential so Vibe's gonna have to wait."
    It just kind of weird for me that Vibe gets singled out so much, to the point where I don't think he even shows up in crowd shots or is referenced at all. That kind of strikes me as a deliberate attempt at ignoring him.

The more I learn of the upcoming plans, the closer I get to just dropping DC. Well, what little I still read, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The more I learn of the upcoming plans, the closer I get to just dropping DC. Well, what little I still read, that is.
    Yeah I'm already going over my options over in Marvel and with indie titles. I've been putting it off for a while cuz every time I get pissed at DC, there's always one little hope spot that keeps me on. But I haven't gotten actual joy from these comics in a while now. 5G and the incredibly sharp turn that these Superman books have taken are only some of the problems I've been having since Didio was put back in charge.