Page 495 of 613 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498499505545595 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,425 of 9194
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC has tried to bring new readers into the direct market. So has everyone else. It doesn't work. Not to the degree it needs to. You think publishers haven't been trying this for decades, ever since the industry began to decline and they got trapped by the Diamond deal? Of course they have. Every damn year. Every possible gimmick and incentive and imprint and trick you can think of. It's been tried, and the DM has failed to bear fruit. Its not a growth industry, it's a dying one. So DC is now looking at other avenues to get their IP's out, and finally might maybe be taking that effort as the serious matter it is. They should've gotten serious about this fifteen years ago, if not twenty.

Yes, there absolutely is a market for kid-oriented books. That market isn't the DM. Which is why Moon Girl's best sales come from Scholastic book orders, the Super Sons omnibus sold so well in book stores, and all those YA novels and OGN's sell well. And Captain Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, and just about all those other hot new characters (well, Carol's not new but you get my drift) can't move a damn thing in the DM but do great in other formats. Kids aren't going to the comic shops. They're simply not.

The DM is still publishers' bread and butter. Not because it works, but because it's the only distribution and audience they've got. So no, it can't be abandoned until they're solidly entrenched in other markets. But the odds of the DM suddenly becoming healthy again? It's not happening man.
    DC has tried to bring in new readers to the direct market certainly. But kid readers? Not really, no. Especially not in the last decade plus. With the exception of superhero TV show tie-ins and Super Sons, they really haven't tried anything that could appeal to that demo. Are these titles more successful in bookstores? Sure. But a lot of that is because often the message that people are sent is that kids are not welcome in comic book stores. I've seen some Comic Book stores do a wonderful job of making themselves welcoming space for families, but I've seen many more that make anyone who isn't a white adult male super uncomfortable. If you change the narrative, open the culture, and make monthly comics something for everyone, it could have a positive effect. And as you pointed out, since there is a market for these in bookstores, then making this attempt would already have ways in which it was profitable. Instead, DC cancels Super Sons and kills the momentum of the series and a potential way to welcome kids into the world of monthlies. There is no way in which that wasn't a mistake.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I don't think they are taking inspiration from the New 52 costume to "win over" New 52 fans. That boat sailed a long time ago and I think DC knows this.

This honestly just reminds me how bad the New 52 costume was and the weird added texture makes it worse in my opinion.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Even among New 52 Superman fans, the costume itself isn't exactly beloved (I like it more than most despite not nearly perfect, but even that much is not a usual opinion).
    Yeah you're kind of a freak like that.

Kidding! You know I love ya, man!

not some random young pretender.
    I mean.....it's not like Jon is *random.* We're not talking Luke Fox here. Jon *is* the clear and present heir apparent in current continuity.

I'm not any more happy about the prospect of Clark being replaced than you are but Jon's not random. He's just not a concept you like (and I can take or leave him, myself).

Its almost comical how bad they are at reading the room in nearly all facets of a diverse audience.
    Have you read Superman Smashes the Klan yet? I just did, and if you haven't you f*cking need to. That will make you feel better brother.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon having new52-esque costume and sheild. I can safely say jon is replacing clark. I guess, jon is the new "man of tomorrow".
    *Shrugs* if you say so.

Even among New 52 Superman fans, the costume itself isn't exactly beloved (I like it more than most despite not nearly perfect, but even that much is not a usual opinion). And this is even more bulky. Either way its funny if DC thinks the design will win over n52 fans or something. We liked a younger Superman, not some random young pretender. Its almost comical how bad they are at reading the room in nearly all facets of a diverse audience.
    Tbh, I don't think it's intended for y'all. I think once the direction for him and the Legion hits, ito gonna become pretty clear that it's not intended to make your particular fandom happy. It seems to be inviting new readers with sensibilities aimed more towards youth culture of today.

And I pretty strongly disagree on it looking "bulkier" by any stretch of the imagination. Looks like athletic "under armor" more than actual armor to me.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-19-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I really like the costume!! My favorite is the first MOS movie but this really nice. Looks good and not just like heavy armor.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Even among New 52 Superman fans, the costume itself isn't exactly beloved (I like it more than most despite not nearly perfect, but even that much is not a usual opinion). And this is even more bulky. Either way its funny if DC thinks the design will win over n52 fans or something. We liked a younger Superman, not some random young pretender. Its almost comical how bad they are at reading the room in nearly all facets of a diverse audience.
    I was just having fun dude. Its not that i like the costume. It is lacks simplicity and is too busy. As for being man of tomorrow, i do think the character is shaping up to be that. This clark clearly isn't that guy.

I wasn't mocking you or anything, even if you did like it that would have been more than cool with me. Sorry if it came across that way. My passive aggressiveness is completely and totally toward the direction.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    *Shrugs* if you say so.

Tbh, I don't think it's intended for y'all. I think once the direction for him and the Legion hits, ito gonna become pretty clear that it's not intended to make your particular fandom happy. It seems to be inviting new readers with sensibilities aimed more towards youth culture of today.

And I pretty strongly disagree on it looking "bulkier" by any stretch of the imagination. Looks like athletic "under armor" more than actual armor to me.
    I think it might be intended for that. But, i don't think it's working. The closest modern thing this legion and jon thing is connected to is my hero. It doesn't go for any kind of armour looks. These guys are superheroes. Superheroes wear costumes. If they were really going for something cool. They would have turned the cape into a jacket or something. None of the new gen kids wear capes in that show.change the costume from armour nonsense to some sort of jumpsuit like Bruce lee's or something very light and agile.

I think it might be intended for that.
    Outside of the small echo chamber that is online forum fandom, I've seen to suggest that the Jon or the Legion is intended to appease lapsed New 52 fans specifically. You're more than welcome to peddle that narrative if it suits you or further feeds your already made up mind.

But based on the concrete sources we have so far, this is intended to tap into and megaphone modern day youth culture and sensibilities.

Conceptually it hits a similar button as the New 52 in the sense that it's an updated starting point, but the intent is far more focused on young people and tomorrow.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Outside of the small echo chamber that is online forum fandom, I've seen to suggest that the Jon or the Legion is intended to appease lapsed New 52 fans specifically. You're more than welcome to peddle that narrative if it suits you or further feeds your already made up mind.

But based on the concrete sources we have so far, this is intended to tap into and megaphone modern day youth culture and sensibilities.

Conceptually it hits a similar button as the New 52 in the sense that it's an updated starting point, but the intent is far more focused on young people and tomorrow.
    I never said or "peddled" any such thing. You seem to think new52 designs weren't intended for modern day youth culture. It was an attempt at that as well. As i have said,it is pretty much the armour look. It even has the collor or something similar to it.you are welcome to not see it. It is just their idea of anime-esque costumes look like with out even reading much of it. But, Lee seems to have gotten into myhero because of his youtube channel and constant requests to draw all might, deku, saitama.. Etc

Something like these would have done the job without losing simplicity with Cape flapping and all(strictly my preference ) . That is all,i am saying.btw, jon's first costume was designed by a man that actually loves anime and manga takes great inspiration from it. It was awesome.

Father son superman punch, proving my point.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-19-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'll take the new 52 suit over that red underwear garbage any day of the week.

You seem to think new52 designs weren't intended for modern day youth culture.
    Not nearly as pointed, no. It was a modern update, for sure, but it wasn't nearly as specifically aimed at youth culture as this Legion book, no. I mean, this book starts off being about multicultural/multiracial (likely with a number of sexual orientations) college aged kids going to what is basically super college, and dealing with the inheritance of a dead world thanks to past generations' mistreatment.

This is very pointedly generations Y and Z. The New 52 was more of a generalized modern update in both aesthetic and direction.

So when I say this version of the Legion and the direction they take Jon into is likely not for y'all (including some New 52 fans) I'm being pretty specific. I think that also goes for the people on forums like this with years of being stuck in our ways under our collective belts. The diversity of faces and the modern looks are set to attract new people.

The hope is that we as seasoned reader (even with my relative youth, and being part of one of the aforementioned generations, that goes for me too) are hip enough to the game and good enough sports.

Actually, think I've complained enough. I've made clear my feelings more than enough. Time to just let it go for a while.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-19-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not nearly as pointed, no. It was a modern update, for sure, but it wasn't nearly as specifically aimed at youth culture as this Legion book, no. I mean, this book starts off being about multicultural/multiracial (likely with a number of sexual orientations) college aged kids going to what is basically super college, and dealing with the inheritance of a dead world thanks to past generations' mistreatment.

This is very pointedly generations Y and Z. The New 52 was more of a generalized modern update in both aesthetic and direction.

So when I say this version of the Legion and the direction they take Jon into is likely not for y'all (including some New 52 fans) I'm being pretty specific. I think that also goes for the people on forums like this with years of being stuck in our ways under our collective belts. The diversity of faces and the modern looks are set to attract new people.

The hope is that we as seasoned reader (even with my relative youth, and being part of one of the aforementioned generations, that goes for me too) are hip enough to the game and good enough sports.
    How does being multiethnic and multi racial have anything to do with what i said or clothing and fashion of characters?And i have never equated aesthetic to race or gender. I thought change colour of a character was to have more representation.that is'nt some modern Youth culture thing.i never thought of changing race of a character affecting asthetic. It might be true but i never really took that into account .anyways, My problems are strictly restricted to costumes desgins.
    Yeah! The were updates, Updates specifically done to for what they think modern day youth likes. Modernising is done for making newer generations to get interested. Anyways, regardless Jon's costume look new52 armour for me. I am not peddling anything. I like simple but agile designs that has functionality like deku's.i haven't seen anything to make me believe otherwise this is'nt like New52 design.

Mighty Member

Plus, Jon as a kid seemed to be more appealing to modern youth culture. If DC thinks Legion is going to do a better job of that, they may be in for a rude awakening.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers