Page 237 of 613 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287337 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 9194
    BANNED

Bendis' co-writer on Naomi, David F Walker, has put to bed rumours he'd be taking over The Flash

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...ash-dc-comics/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

YOUNG JUSTICE #1

written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON
    variant cover by PATRICK GLEASON
    AMETHYST variant cover by TBD
    IMPULSE variant cover by TBC
    ROBIN variant cover by TBD
    SUPERBOY variant cover by TBD
    WONDER GIRL variant cover by TBD
    blank variant cover available
    Superboy! Wonder Girl! Robin! Impulse! Amethyst! They’re all united in YOUNG JUSTICE #1, the debut issue of a brand-new series that also introduces new heroes Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex!
    When the nightmare dimension known as Gemworld invades Metropolis, these teen heroes reunite to deal with the situation—but they’re shocked to discover the battle may be the key to the return of Conner Kent, a.k.a. Superboy! This mix of fan favorites and new legacy heroes will be the center point for some of the biggest goings-on at DC! As if that weren’t enough, Bendis reunites with all-star artist Patrick Gleason (SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) to bring the new heroes of DC’s Wonder Comics to life!
    ON SALE 01.09.19
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES

ACTION COMICS #1006

art and cover by RYAN SOOK
    variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    The Red Cloud sets her sights on someone close to Superman, but how can the Man of Steel stop a villain he can’t touch? As the invisible mafia controlling Metropolis’ underworld steps more into the light, its leader finally stands revealed with a secret that will have massive implications for Superman and Clark Kent!
    ON SALE 01.02.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

ACTION COMICS #1007

art and cover by STEVE EPTING
    variant cover by PATRICK GLEASON
    The Kobra Cult conspiracy ensnares Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen, drawing the attention of the Man of Steel. But be careful, Superman—there’s more lurking in the shadows of Metropolis than just a snake cult.
    ON SALE 01.30.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

SUPERMAN #7

art by IVAN REIS, JOE PRADO and BRANDON PETERSON
    cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
    variant cover by DAVID FINCH It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for: the shocking return of the son of Superman! A year spent traveling the stars changed Jon Kent. Are parents Clark and Lois ready for the all-new, all-different Superboy? Secrets are revealed, a new look debuts and Superman’s world is changed forever!
    ON SALE 01.16.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

DC Comics’ Complete Solicitations for January 2019: https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solici...-january-2019/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DC Comics’ Complete Solicitations for January 2019: https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solici...-january-2019/
    really glad we get 2 issues of action in January, I know it's because of the mesup in December, but still, makes me nostalgic when the books double shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Should we give this its own thread?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yes, this isn't actually a general happenings thread. Same goes for people affiliated with Bendis who have nothing to do with the Superman line and so on.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So, I've thought about it A LOT, and I think I've settled on a theory regarding Lois and Clark's story from Action Comics 1004 and on, and I'm about 85% sure on it. Be aware that this theory is substantiated by as much in-text evidence as I could find. There will be citations for your convenience.

Part one of the theory is that Lois will be revealing/confirming the fact that her and Superman dated for a time on and off in accordance with the Golden and Silver ages, and in keeping with modern instances like Darwyn Cooke's Superman Kryptonite from Superman Confidential. I think it'll be treated like the open secret it was like back in the day. I feel pretty strongly about this due to Mr. Strong's words to Miss Goode. Specifically he said "we don't say her name either" when talking to Miss Goode about Lois and all the no-no words that'll get Superman to listen. Goode then says "that I do know. I was just thinking, what does it feel like to have that kind of dude wrapped around your little finger?" (see Action Comics 1003) This seems to imply that Superman and Lois being close is an open secret. It would be one thing if Mr. Strong had to tell Miss Goode about that Lois stuff, but Miss Goode, the one learning the ropes here, already knew it, and I'm fairly sure she's not a native of the city.

Part two is the idea that Jon will in fact be outed as Superman's biological son, BUT it will be established that Clark is in fact Jon's stepfather. This means legally his name is still 100% Jon Sam Kent, and that Lois and Clark are his mother and father, so in that sense nothing changes. But this will lead to the very big story beats for Jon that Bendis has been teasing. This will effectively make Jon Samuel Kent/Superboy one of the most famous people on the planet (and galaxy (this will be explained later in my theory)). This will lead to more of those special needs parallels. Depending on what he's like when he comes back, Jon may need to be home schooled. Possibly even by his grandpa depending on how that story beat shakes out (the whole "grandpa's crazy thing") or he may need to be placed in special classes over at his school. My bases for this part of theory is obviously not built on the comparatively solid foundation of 80 years of history, but, and I think maybe more importantly, it's built off Bendis' own words in the text. In Superman issue 1 (note: this book is designated as being where Jon's story will unfold (please keep this in mind going forward)) Clark is having a flashback about Jon talking about school. Jon brings up not really feeling school that day (a characterization substantiated by Superman: Lois & Clark issue 2) and also his status as a hybrid lifeform. It's a fairly throw away comment, and the idea is that it was actually because he had a little crush, but the idea to use that scene and those words seems deliberate to me. In regards to Jon's upcoming boost in fame, I invite you to look back at Superman issue 4. Some sharp thinking posters on here made a point to speculate that the junkyard scene would have new relevance going forward (credit to DragonPiece and at least one other poster, I think. Apologies for not remembering), and this is in part what sparked at least this section of the theory. The scene in question has Jon having to deal with the gossip that his fame at the time brought him. Looking back I found it very telling that Bendis created Trish Q, made a point to have ex Daily Planet gossip journalist, Cat Grant, act as Q's mentor AND drop the news that Lois was back on planet (see Action Comics issue 1002) and then have Jon upset about gossip in the past. It smells of foreshadowing to me. Plus, if you remember during issue 1001 of Action Comics Trish Q says to "I heard through a very good source that she left you for Superman." Now think for a moment, Q is confirmed to be mentored by Grant, and Grant was able to get word on Lois' book quite early. I think Q has her facts mixed up, but the Lois/Superman connection is right.

Part three of my theory is that I think Lois is setting this plan into motion primarily because of the road to the United Planets being the goal. Take note: I'm not saying that someone is out there forming the UP and Lois is in on it, no. I don't know all the facts yet because I don't have the upcoming books in my hands. But conceptually speaking I think the idea will deal with Jon being almost a personification of what the United Planets will stand for in the future. He's a hybrid of two aliens and they're making it work. I'm ultimately thinking that Bendis is working towards the idea that Clark, Lois, and Jon give rise to the United Planets on some level for each of them (symbolic, literal, or both). This plan of Lois' is sort of the impetus. Jon is the physical embodiment of the dream behind the United Planets. Superman will likely provide the leg work as well as inspiration.

Fun facts and speculation: the Superman book that's supposed to be dealing more with Jon is also the book that's going to be about all the space stuff AND it's where the Unity Saga takes place. See how that works in conjunction with my theory? And as Bendis said just before he took on the books, Action Comics would be dealing with the fallout of events in Superman and what person on the street thinks of it all. Again, see how that works into whole idea about Lois' plan?

Why? Bendis said that there are secrets that are even too dangerous to tell Clark about, and she's sort of working behind the scenes on that end. It is my theory that these secrets are in part detrimental to all Kryptonian refugees' continued existence, and that Lois is so f%&king badass that she'll get the ball rolling on an intergalactic United Nations just to protect her son and husband, and their whole species along with others. I'm thinking that she'll trade some of their privacy for their lives. An extremely valid question that nagged me when I first contemplated a form of this theory was "yeah, but why does Lois need to tell everyone on Earth at least some part of their secret?" But ever since Bendis confirmed my theory that this was all leading to the United Planets, I'm more incline to think that at least part of the reason is because Earth and its people will be part of the conversation.

Clark's feelings and the wrap up: So, given the situation I've presented, and the type of person we know Clark to be under Bendis' pen and other writers (keep reading for examples), you can't imagine he's too pleased with this plan. Over in Man of Steel issue 6 Clark expressed a lot of inflexibility, and was, very understandingly, borderline frantic when it came to Jor-El, Jon, and Lois wishes. As Francis Manapul had Lois put it in 2016's Trinity issue 1 "not only has he built new walls, but he's made them even higher. He's stubborn that way. So I'm going to break them." And later in that same issue Clark says "I don't regret returning to action, but I don't think it's the kind of life I want for my son." Not just that, but the simple fact that Clark, with the best of intentions, actively tried to give Jon a very similar life to the one he had growing up all the way down to the farm part. Clark is quite good at building comfortable fortresses around what he loves. But Lois, as shown in Man of Steel 6, knows how to roll with a punch far better than Clark. I'm guessing that Bendis is not only drawing on the improvisation that it takes to be an action reporter like her, but also the idea that she did a lot of moving around as a kid. Clark will basically have to let his son fall quite a ways from the comforting embrace of his long casting shadow.

"Modern Family"/"Mr. and Mrs. Smith"/"a slight reset": So, we've heard Bendis say all three of these things while describing the Superman family and Lois and Clark's relationship, and I think my theory covers all 3 PLUS it revives an old Superman concept that's been lost to time. For one, the "modern family of the DC universe" quote has remained striking to me because I just couldn't figure it out in a way that satisfied me till now. When he says "modern family" I think Bendis is talking about the idea of the sort of "post-nuclear family." Where a nuclear family is a family group consisting of two parents and their child or children; the post-nuclear or modern family a single-parent family, larger extended family, or a family with more than two parents. if anyone here has ever watched the show Modern Family, it plays with a bunch of the definitions of what a modern family is today, and one of them involves a stepparent.

In regrades to "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" I think the idea is to play up the "they know something you don't know of Lois and Clark" with the added layer of this new wrinkle. Plus, there are actually spy stories coming up in Action Comics that star Lois and Clark.

And by this point I'm sure you can guess the "slight reset" is obvious. It's just the idea that there way of functioning will takes on a new shape. Now, funny enough, this ties into the revival I mentioned above. This is literally the triangle for 2, but now Lois and Clark are both in on it and they're really bending it to their needs. Plus, it's maybe the biggest props to Clark Kent ever. Lois chose him over God in a cape. Superman is effectively Lois' ex, but he gets visitation to save the world with their kid an stuff.

Again, I'm about 85% sure on this. I honestly thought writing it out would drop me below 60 or even 50, but too much lines up. But yeah, we'll see this time next week.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-17-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So, I've thought about it A LOT, and I think I've settled on a theory regarding Lois and Clark's story from Action Comics 1004 and on, and I'm about 85% sure on it. Be aware that this theory is substantiated by as much in-text evidence as I could find. There will be citations for your connivance.

Part one of the theory is that Lois will be revealing/confirming the fact that her and Superman dated for a time on and off in accordance with the Golden and Silver ages, and in keeping with modern instances like Darwyn Cooke's Superman Kryptonite from Superman Confidential. I think it'll be treated like the open secret it was like back in the day. I feel pretty strongly about this due to Mr. Strong's words to Miss Goode. Specifically he said "we don't say he name either" when talking to Miss Goode about Lois and all the no-no words that'll get Superman to listen. Goode then says "that I do know. I was just thinking, what does it feel like to have that kind of dude wrapped around your little finger?" (see Action Comics 1003) This seems to imply that Superman and Lois being close is an open secret. It would be one thing if Mr. Strong had to tell Miss Goode about that Lois stuff, but Miss Goode, the one learning the ropes here, already knew it, and I'm fairly sure she's not a native of the city.

Part two is the idea that Jon will in fact be outed as Superman's biological son, BUT it will be established that Clark is in fact Jon's stepfather. This means legally his name is still in fact Jon Sam Kent, and that Lois and Clark are his mother and father, so in that sense nothing changes. But this will lead to the very big story beats for Jon that Bendis has been teasing. This will effectively make Jon Samuel Kent/Superboy one of the most famous people on the planet (and galaxy (this will be explained later in my theory)). This will lead to more of those special needs parallels. Depending on what he's like when he comes back, Jon may need to be home schooled. Possibly even by his grandpa depending on how that story beat shakes out (the whole "grandpa's crazy thing") or he may need to be placed in special classes over at his school. My bases for this part of theory is coming is obviously not built on the comparatively solid foundation of 80 years of history, but, and I think maybe more importantly, it's built off Bendis' own words in the text. In Superman issue 1 (note: this book is designated as being where Jon's story will unfold (please keep this in mind going forward)) Clark is having a flashback about Jon talking about school. Jon brings up not really feeling school that day (a characterization substantiated by Superman: Lois & Clark issue 2) and also his status as a hybrid life form. It's a fairly throw away comment, and the idea is that it was actually because he had a little crush, but the idea to use that scene and those words seems deliberate to me. In regards to Jon's upcoming boost in fame, I invite you to look back at Superman issue 4. Some sharp thinking posters on here made a point to speculate that the junkyard scene would have new relevance going forward (credit to DragonPiece and at least one other poster I think. Apologies for not remembering), and this is in part what sparked at least this part of the theory. The scene in question has Jon having to deal with the gossip that his fame at the time brought him. Looking back I found it very telling that Bendis created Trish Q, made a point to have ex Daily Planet gossip journalist, Cat Grant, act as Q's mentor AND drop the news that Lois was back on planet (see Action Comics issue 1002) and then have Jon upset about gossip in the past. It smells of foreshadowing to me. Plus, if you remember during issue 1001 of Action Comics Trish Q says to "I heard through a very good source that she left you for Superman." Now think for a moment, Q is confirmed to be mentored by Grant, and Grant was able to get word on Lois' book quite early. I think Q has her facts mixed up, but the Lois/Superman connection is right.

Part three of my theory is that I think Lois is setting this plan into motion primarily because of the road to the United Planets being the goal. Take note: I'm not saying that someone is out there forming the UP and Lois is in on it, no. I don't know all the fact yet because I don't have the upcoming books in my hands. But conceptually speaking I think the idea will deal with Jon being almost a personification of what the United Planets will stand for in the future. He's a hybrid of two aliens and they're making it work. I'm ultimately thinking that Bendis is working towards the idea that Clark, Lois, and Jon give rise to the United Planets on some level for each of them. This plan of Lois' is sort of the impetus. Jon is the physical embodiment of the dream behind the United Planets. Superman will likely provide the leg work as well as inspiration.

Fun facts and speculation: the Superman book that's supposed to be dealing more with Jon is also the book that's going to be about all the space stuff AND it's where the Unity Saga takes place. See how that works in conjunction with my theory? And as Bendis said just before he took on the books, Action Comics would be dealing with the fallout of events in Superman and what person on the street thinks of it all. Again, see how that works into whole idea about Lois' plan?

Why? Bendis said that there are secrets that are even too dangerous to tell Clark about, and she's sort of working behind the scenes on that end. It is my theory that these secrets are in part detrimental to all Kryptonian refugees' continued existence, and that Lois is so f%&king badass that she'll get the ball rolling on an intergalactic United Nations just to protect her son and husband, and their whole species along with others. I'm thinking that she'll trade some of their privacy for their lives. An extremely valid question that nagged me when I first contemplated a form of this theory was "yeah, but why does Lois need to tell everyone on Earth at least some part of their secret?" But ever since Bendis confirmed my theory that this was all leading to the United Planets, I'm more incline to think that at least part of the reason is because Earth and its people will be part of the conversation.

Clark's feelings and the wrap up: So, given the situation I've presented and the type of person we know Clark to be under Bendis' pen and other writers (keep reading for examples), you can't imagine he's too pleased with this plan. Over in Man of Steel issue 6 Clark expressed a lot of inflexibility, and was, very understandingly, borderline frantic when it came to Jor-El, Jon, and Lois wishes. As Francis Manapul had Lois put it in 2016's Trinity issue 1 "not only has he built new walls, but he's made them even higher. He's stubborn that way. So I'm going to break them." And later in that same issue Clark says "I don't regret returning to action, but I don't think it's the kind of life I want for my son." Not just that, but the simple fact that Clark, with the best of intentions, actively tried to give Jon a very similar life to the one he had growing up all the way down to the farm part. Clark is quite good at building comfortable fortresses around what he loves. But Lois, as shown in Man of Steel 6, knows how to roll with a punch far better than Clark. I'm guessing that Bendis is not only drawing on the improvisation that it takes to be an action reporter like her, but also the idea that she did a lot of moving around as a kid. Clark will basically have to let his son fall quite a ways from the comforting embrace of his long cast shadow.

"Modern Family"/"Mr. and Mrs. Smith"/"a slight reset": So, we've heard Bendis say all three of these things while describing the Superman family and Lois and Clark's relationship, and I think my theory covers all 3 PLUS it revives a an old Superman concept that's been lost to time. For one, the "modern family of the DC universe" quote has remained striking to me because I just couldn't figure it out in a way that satisfied me till now. When he says "modern family" I think Bendis is talking about the idea of the sort of "post-nuclear family." Where a nuclear family is a family group consisting of two parents and their child or children; the post-nuclear or modern family a single-parent family, larger extended family, or a family with more than two parents. if anyone here has ever watched the show Modern Family, it plays with a bunch of the definitions of what a modern family is today, and one of them involves a stepparent.

In regrades to "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" I think the idea is to play up the "they know something you don't know of Lois and Clark" with the added layer this new wrinkle. Plus, there are actually spy stories coming up in Action Comics that star Lois and Clark.

And by this point I'm sure you can guess the "slight reset" is obvious. It's just the idea that there way of functioning will takes on a new shape. Now, funny enough, this ties into the revival I mentioned above. This is literally the triangle for 2, but now Lois and Clark are both in on it and they're really bending it to their needs. Plus, it's maybe the biggest props to Clark Kent ever. Lois chose him over God in a cape. Superman is effectively Lois' ex, but he gets visitation to save the world their kid an stuff.

Again, I'm about 85% sure on this. I honestly thought writing it out would drop me below 60 or even 50, but too much lines up. But yeah, we'll see this time next week.

Thoughts?
    OH MY GOD!!!!!
    I think you've nailed it!!! If you are right (and I think you are) Lois is getting a hell of a boost and Jon would be getting some really good character development that gives him a truly unique path. I really like this!

BANNED

And by this point I'm sure you can guess the "slight reset" is obvious. It's just the idea that there way of functioning will takes on a new shape. Now, funny enough, this ties into the revival I mentioned above. This is literally the triangle for 2, but now Lois and Clark are both in on it and they're really bending it to their needs. Plus, it's maybe the biggest props to Clark Kent ever. Lois chose him over God in a cape. Superman is effectively Lois' ex, but he gets visitation to save the world with their kid an stuff.
    I hope this theory on the hard reset proves true, I'll even bake you a cookie

So, I've thought about it A LOT, and I think I've settled on a theory regarding Lois and Clark's story from Action Comics 1004 and on, and I'm about 85% sure on it. Be aware that this theory is substantiated by as much in-text evidence as I could find. There will be citations for your convenience.

Thoughts?
    Looks like you've put some serious thought into this man.

And I gotta say, it seems like it all fits. It's a fairly tight narrative that's supported by what Bendis has said in interviews and on panel. Yeah, I could see it going this way, and I think most of the big points you're making here are almost certain to go down, at least in some shape or form.

And it even lends some weight to Bendis using Hal, who's shown up a couple times. If earth and the Kent family are going to be involved in a galactic conversation, the GLC is gonna be at that table too, and bringing Hal into the story now establishes his dynamic with Clark; giving us a foundation to start from once that big conversation begins.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Could Rob Liefeld be working on something for Bendis?

Chance to draw the greatest super hero of all time. Help me pick one at the rough pencil stage. Left or right?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...wing-superman/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

hopefully just a variant and nothing more.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

The sketches don't look bad. Liefeld even draw Superman's feet.

Astonishing Member

The cape looks like it has shoulder pads, lol.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Today Bendis replied to a tweet that said "I am LOVING your Superman run so far. I'm begging you to do what DC hasn't done for a few years and put Jimmy Olsen to some use, please! I'll be reading either way!"

He then replayed by saying "THANK you. jimmy and Lois fans are going to be very happy this year! you won't believe it. honestly, its almost too much."

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...33235490324480

Not only is this more credit to the Lois and Jimmy projects/books on their way (Jimmy book here https://twitter.com/GregSilber/statu...50231129264130 and we've already been told that there's a Lois book on its way), but it also seems to be alluding to Lois and Jimmy's involvement in the Leviathan story line as co-leads alongside Clark. Plus it seems Jimmy is the one who stumbles on the Leviathan stuff via his investigations into the The Kobra Cult, and we already know about the mystery surrounding Lois' work in Action Comics.

Tell me you're not hype as hell for all this stuff!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-18-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Today Bendis replied to a tweet that said "I am LOVING your Superman run so far. I'm begging you to do what DC hasn't done for a few years and put Jimmy Olsen to some use, please! I'll be reading either way!"

He then replayed by saying "THANK you. jimmy and Lois fans are going to be very happy this year! you won't believe it. honestly, its almost too much."

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...33235490324480

Not only is this more credit to the Lois and Jimmy projects/books on their way (Jimmy book here https://twitter.com/GregSilber/statu...50231129264130 and we've already been told that there's a Lois book on its way), but it also seems to be alluding to Lois and Jimmy's involvement in the Leviathan story line as co-leads alongside Clark. Plus it seems Jimmy is the one who stumbles on the Leviathan stuff via his investigations into the The Kobra Cult, and we already know about the mystery surrounding Lois' work in Action Comics.

Tell me you're not hype as hell for all this stuff!
    Definitely anticipating it all, I don't know how successful a Jimmy book can be though, I'm guessing it would just be a mini series.