Page 243 of 613 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 9194

It won't seem sensible to make Lois/Superman the public image until we learn the reason why. If the reason falls flat the whole thing falls flat. But I'm imagining such a storyline, if that's where we're headed, wouldn't be attempted unless a reason was plotted out along with it. So I withhold judgment on the actual sense it would make till then. Theoretically still of course, because this direction is not yet proven.

As for why I'm excited about the possibility either way, the answer is simply that I think the marriage as is is stale and boring. I felt that way pre-FP, and nothing's changed for me now that its been brought back. To me the marriage has made their dynamic infinitely less interesting (outside maybe the first year of it way back in '96) than it ever was in near-60 years preceding it, so I'm always for anything to bring a spark back to them as long as that's status quo. That's a subjective opinion, but its my reason for being excited for what might be coming. With that said, it can always fail, anything can fail.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-22-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Ultimately, this is about a couple and a family who love each other and people who are supposed to hopeful, kind, people who work together. I can't accept the way Bendis has approached the decision making of these characters.
    Does there life have to be great all the time for them to be hopeful let alone kind or deeply in love with one another.

Whatever this ends up being--since we still don't know--no, it totally didn't need to happen. But that's kind of the point with these serialized long running comics. Not much actually needed to happen beyond issue 1 of Action Comics and it's set up, but it did. Lois and Clark didn't need--in any urgent sense of the word-- to get married, but they did. They didn't need to have a kid, but they did. My point being that comics are largely made up of just the idea of finding a new angle at a really, really old thing.

And that's given me quite a few stories, characters, and dynamics that I adore with the marriage and Jon being pretty high on the list if not tied for the top spot with maybe two other ideas from other properties.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-22-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

They'll shake up things again in 50 issues anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's a subjective opinion
    And one very firmly in the minority.

I'd say no one here can really gauge that one way or another empirically (sales is your only gauge but there's so many other factors than just whether Superman is married or not that goes into how his books are doing). But either way I don't care. I don't need to be in a majority or minority to be comfortable with how I feel about certain things. Its just simply the reason I feel the way I do in this instance and I was asked. I personally am looking for a spark. Others are perfectly content and don't need nor particularly want it. That's more than fine as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-22-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It won't seem sensible to make Lois/Superman the public image until we learn the reason why. If the reason falls flat the whole thing falls flat. But I'm imagining such a storyline, if that's where we're headed, wouldn't be attempted unless a reason was plotted out along with it. So I withhold judgment on the actual sense it would make till then. Theoretically still of course, because this direction is not yet proven.
    Speculate with me, then. What would be a good enough reason?

As for why I'm excited about the possibility either way, the answer is simply that I think the marriage as is is stale and boring. I felt that way pre-FP, and nothing's changed for me now that its been brought back. To me the marriage has made their dynamic infinitely less interesting (outside maybe the first year of it way back in '96) than it ever was in near-60 years preceding it, so I'm always for anything to bring a spark back to them as long as that's status quo. That's a subjective opinion, but its my reason for being excited for what might be coming. With that said, it can always fail, anything can fail.
    Changing their public status doesn't change who they are or their dynamic at its core. What was interesting about their dynamic before they married, though? The triangle for two or other relationship drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Does there life have to be great all the time for them to be hopeful let alone kind or deeply in love with one another.
    No, and you completely missed my point. Their lives will be hard and be put under stress. It's how they handle it that matters. Hope isn't happiness or joy. Hope is having faith as one struggles in the dark. One shows one's hopefulness and love by acting out those things during tough times. People who lie, separate, and make unilateral decisions based on fear when faced with challenges are not living in hope.

To be perfectly honest I don't have a great reason in my head. The closest I can come up with is something having to do with Jon, but I have no details. But I'm more than willing to see what the writer here might cook up. If its not good, if it makes no sense, I'll be the first to say so.

And for me, yeah, I found the triangle of three much more interesting. Yeah it had gone on a really long time, but the thing is, I'm in my late thirties. Outside of the Donner films I didn't get to experience much of that first-hand. By the time I got into comics they were already engaged. Its a similar reason why I enjoy the idea of a reboot and starting over from scratch. Experiencing things in real time I didn't get the chance to before and would have to go to the classics to see. I also like the idea of the two of them to be free to also explore other romantic entanglements, yes. I've always been of the opinion that the chase is more interesting than the catch, so to speak.

I know people are worried about what’s going on, but at least most of us can appreciate how good this preview reads. The acting is on point, the dialogue is great. Bendis and Sook are masters of the craft, and this is proof.

As for Lois and the marriage, I’m looking forward to what’s next for them. I feel like a lot of the time, writers will write Lois as just “the wife” but I think their relationship is deeper than that. Lois is a lot more than that.

They’re best friends who got married, and I think people forget that. Everything Bendis has said and written so far makes me think that he feels the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I know people are worried about what’s going on, but at least most of us can appreciate how good this preview reads. The acting is on point, the dialogue is great. Bendis and Sook are masters of the craft, and this is proof.
    All of that is pretty meaningless if they're in the service of a questionable story or characterization.

They’re best friends who got married, and I think people forget that. Everything Bendis has said and written so far makes me think that he feels the same.
    How so?

BANNED

To be perfectly honest I don't have a great reason in my head. The closest I can come up with is something having to do with Jon, but I have no details. But I'm more than willing to see what the writer here might cook up. If its not good, if it makes no sense, I'll be the first to say so.

And for me, yeah, I found the triangle of three much more interesting. Yeah it had gone on a really long time, but the thing is, I'm in my late thirties. Outside of the Donner films I didn't get to experience much of that first-hand. By the time I got into comics they were already engaged. Its a similar reason why I enjoy the idea of a reboot and starting over from scratch. Experiencing things in real time I didn't get the chance to before and would have to go to the classics to see. I also like the idea of the two of them to be free to also explore other romantic entanglements, yes. I've always been of the opinion that the chase is more interesting than the catch, so to speak.
    That’s interesting because I’m only a few years younger than you, in my mid 30’s, and while I believe the triangle for 2 ::can:: be done well and in a way that is respectful and fair to both parties (see: Smallville), as a woman, I always recognized that the Triangle was often deeply unfair to Lois, not fairly representative of her POV, often loaded with dated gender issues and not remotely progressive in the modern landscape. The marriage was not only a massive step forward but it was and is extremely progressive in a cultural landscape that still often views marriage as a “ball and chain” on a man and wives as “holding men back.” As a woman, I recognize how uncomfortable and unfair this is to women everywhere which is why, outside of a very modern and careful attempt at the triangle (Smallville’s was actually excellent) I can’t support your logic.

As a former English major and, again, as a woman, I also recognize and understand through both my education and life experiences that that idea that the “chase” and “playing the field” are “more interesting” has deep roots in centuries of women literally being viewed as property. As a prize a man “wins” at the end of a story while he “plays the field” and “keeps his options open.” I’m uncomfortable with this distinctly because of how unfair it is and it’s concerning that this idea is so deeply ingrained into our views of marriage and relationships even if they are fictional. The truth is that this idea that the “chase” is more interesting has deep ties to sexism and is absolutely worth both reflecting on, challenging and pushing back against.

Does that mean you can’t have your opinion? Nope. But these are things that need to be part of the Convo.

I'm struggling too. With Jon, if his parents are publicly Lois and Superman, that puts his mom in danger and makes him more of a celebrity. I think it would also make it harder to believe that Clark and Jon Kent aren't Superman and Superboy, which would only make having some privacy and living any semblance of a normal life more difficult. I know Bendis likes to say that they all need to face that they're not a normal family, but I think they always knew that. The idea in the Superman books was always that balance was key between public/private, alien/human, superhero/civilian hero. Some normal is good for them.

So, what happens here? Does Jon continue to live a double life as Superboy and Jon Kent, making Jon have to deal with the same pity and controversy as Clark currently is at work over Lois loving and being married to Superman with their own son, Superboy, instead of being her son and her being married to his father, Clark Kent? Or will he be outed entirely and therefore not get to live a civilian life as Jon Kent anymore? I don't see how either of those scenarios is helpful to him.

I appreciate all of that, but I don't get how taking the relationship public replicates or generates a similar dynamic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And one very firmly in the minority.
    How do you figure? Are you under the impression that the few guys that post on this forum represent the majority of feelings? Because that’s absurd and you don’t really have any right to claim that.

I agree with everything MissLane said here. I’m extremely frustrated and tired of watching Lois repeatedly used like this for controversy. I’m tired of this same playbook where she vanishes for months on end and then is a male writer plays on every negative emotion to try and paint her as some kind of jezebel or not credible. It’s frustrating. It’s insulting.

I could find just as many women in a heartbeat who have a massive problem with this and feel the same way we do. We are not a minority and we are paying customers just like you are. Our money is just as good as your money and our discomfort is not for you to treat as frivolous just because you personally do not feel the same way. Please find some empathy. This forum should not be a place where anyone with a dissenting opinion is treated like an unwelcome outsider but that’s what it is right now and perhaps that’s worth some reflection. Thank you.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's how they handle it that matters. People who lie, separate, and make unilateral decisions based on fear when faced with challenges are not living in hope.
    That's a fair and valid read on it that I can certainly appreciate. I may not agree that it's what how I think it went down/will go down, but I can a least appreciate your POV, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Question for everyone: am I crazy or does anyone else get Carmen Sandiego vibes from Lois' story? lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Using such fake controversy as just a set up to change a dynamic that doesn't need changing and doing it to a character who has been needlessly omitted from the books for months and constantly subjected to "controversy" doesn't make any of this okay or good storytelling.
    This is exactly it. Look, I’m not even saying that there won’t be anything good in the issue. There might be some lovely stuff in there. Who knows? But I’m very uncomfortable with the road to get here and I am very tired of Lois being used as a punching bag like this so that everyone can feel bad for Clark. Because this is what they ::always:: do. The DC Comics Twitter today did it as well.

I’ve been married 10 years. Marriage ::is:. hard and it’s not always perfect. I’m the last person asking for some utopian view of marriage. But what I do know after a decade of marriage is that this is not how you depict a loving, equal relationship in a way that is fair to both parties.

BANNED

What's good about it? Ultimately, this is about a couple and a family who love each other and people who are supposed to be hopeful, kind, people who work together. I can't accept the way Bendis has approached the decision making of these characters.

It doesn't seem logical to believe that leaving with Jor-El for a trek around the universe without his father—a father who disapproved of the decision—would be an effective and appropriate way to deal with Jon's issues. Even the idea that Jon would be so uniquely troubled makes little sense. If rumors are to be believed, it doesn't seem sensible to make Lois/Superman the public relationship for anyone's sake. It puts Lois in incredible danger to be seen as Superman's beloved, and it seems more likely to blow up their anonymity as a family and make them more of a target for threats and scrutiny. Worse, if Lois has already started writing her book, she has decided on this move without consulting her husband about it. All the while, she's absent from the books and the mystery is used to create negative gossip and controversy about her in the real world and in the fictional world, and as usual painting Clark as the victim in all of this while she gets very little point of view.

Even if we can say that ultimately the status quo change was wise, I don't think that this was the best way to handle it. Having Lois and Clark work together as a team and working things out as a family with truth and hope as their guides feels more in the spirit of Superman than the contrived, out of character, trashiness that Bendis has brought to the books.
    Excellent post and co-signed. As opposed to setting Lois up in this controversy it would have been more inclusive from the start to show them working together as a team to find a solution rather than the way it’s been handled.