Page 540 of 613 FirstFirst ... 40440490530536537538539540541542543544550590 ... LastLast
Results 8,086 to 8,100 of 9194
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

Yet, another girl wants jon for herself.
    Come now, everyone knows that thirsting for our protagonist is Superhero Supporting Characters 101.

He's Lois and Clark's kid, has an excellent moral compass and takes care of himself. It's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Oh hey, Imra with long hair .

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    D'awww. This guy!

I can get that, but I guess I just didn't get hung up on that. Personally (obviously you can see it differently), I kind of like the whole "True Hollywood Story" aspect to the rise and fall of the JSA. There's always a reflex to over idealize the 30s/40s, but that's never been the reality. There's something interesting to me about this inherently ephemeral group of idealist come together right at the height of the war to be heroes to a world, but then coming home and (according to the new timeline) get weighed down and ultimately disbanded by a society that wasn't as ready for them as we'd thought. It's only years later with the rise of Superman and his generation that the world realizes what it gave up out of (I'm guessing) fear. It recontexualizes the JSA as this group of idealist that were ahead of their time, and ultimately had a rocky and rough twilight of the old gods sort of deal.

Conceptually, I'll be honest, I dig it.
    Oh, conceptually I find it fascinating. Hell, I did this myself at one point, and plotted out who would appear when and what a "real time" history would look like. And that's not including the discussions about the same topic here, where we've all thrown out ideas. It's not the concept that worries me, the concept is full of potential. What worries me is two other things; first, that DC will end up changing things to such a degree that it no longer resembles the actual publishing history, and if that's the case then what's the damn point? Some changes will be needed yes, some stuff will need to be fleshed out, expanded on, smoothed over, yes. But big changes, like a Golden Ager going Parallax? Might be stepping too far (we'll see). And secondly, I worry about the fact that the whole line might end up being replaced by legacies (we'll see what titles look like when official announcements hit). If we have a real time history, but everything is set in the present with new legacies carrying the mantles, then the real time history becomes nothing more than background detail at best, and an excuse to write out the characters at worst.

On a unrelated note....word is the legal battle that was holding Milestone back has been finished. Anyone want to place bets that the "big bang" they mention is the Dakota event? DC might be using some Milestone characters to round out their Golden Age history and get some black heroes in on the action. Icon, at least, would be quite fitting here. A change like this, I'd support, as it'd provide a more colorful Golden Age hero roster.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

D'awww. This guy!

I can get that, but I guess I just didn't get hung up on that. Personally (obviously you can see it differently), I kind of like the whole "True Hollywood Story" aspect to the rise and fall of the JSA. There's always a reflex to over idealize the 30s/40s, but that's never been the reality. There's something interesting to me about this inherently ephemeral group of idealist come together right at the height of the war to be heroes to a world, but then coming home and (according to the new timeline) get weighed down and ultimately disbanded by a society that wasn't as ready for them as we'd thought. It's only years later with the rise of Superman and his generation that the world realizes what it gave up out of (I'm guessing) fear. It recontexualizes the JSA as this group of idealist that were ahead of their time, and ultimately had a rocky and rough twilight of the old gods sort of deal.

Conceptually, I'll be honest, I dig it.
    How did I miss this post. This is my favorite thing I've read about the JSA in a long time. I agree with Ascended here, you usually have very well thought-out ideas and I'm convinced you would be a boon at DC. Put together a pitch, man.

DC doesn't take blind pitches.

He'd have to pitch to Image or one of the other indies (except Dark Horse, who also don't take blind pitches) and work his way up to get DC's notice.

And then all of his creativity and talent would be buried under DC's editorial mandates and all of his best ideas he wouldn't own.

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Andy Schmidt is an odd choice to launch it and it doesn't exactly instill confidence that they are turning the launch of this initiative over to some guy who's biggest credit seems to have been being Bendis' editor on Secret War and a Star Trek comic 10 years ago.
    I think this really showcases how little info you can gleam from a wikipedia entry. Schmidt is more well known for overseeing the first Annihilation event over at Marvel and also for helping assemble the creative teams for several award winning Transformer comics especially MTMTE. He is also known for a total lack of ethics for stealing the work of artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Schmidt is also kind of infamous among the Transformers fandom for his time editing the IDW comics with all the inconsistencies and continuity issues that popped up during his tenure.
    Right, but he was also the one that decided to put James Roberts on MTMTE. And he is also the one that stole the design for the stealth bomber Megatron from artist Don Figeroa, which lead to the latter pretty much washing his hands of the entire TF franchise.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-16-2020 at 12:56 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC will end up changing things to such a degree that it no longer resembles the actual publishing history, and if that's the case then what's the damn point?
    You know, I've seen that first points elsewhere, and I feel like I should personally be more upset about it, but I don't think that's where my mind went immediately when I heard the idea that they were doing something like this. I was never gonna be in this for seeing the dates line up with publication or even seeing one-to-one recreations of the old stories. I was desperately hoping for something new, and a LOT of recontextualization, shuffling, and flat out changing to make a world all its own.

_________

And you guys are seriously too nice. Thank you. You make wish I were an actual writer in any meaningful way lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think this really showcases how little info you can gleam from a wikipedia entry. Schmidt is more well known for overseeing the first Annihilation event over at Marvel and also for helping assemble the creative teams for several award winning Transformer comics especially MTMTE. He is also known for a total lack of ethics for stealing the work of artists.

Right, but he was also the one that decided to put James Roberts on MTMTE. And he is also the one that stole the design for the stealth bomber Megatron from artist Don Figeroa, which lead to the latter pretty much washing his hands of the entire TF franchise.
    So...a mixed bag .

Like I've said, some recontextualizing is fine. Necessary, actually, to get all the various continuities fused together. But there's a difference, I think, between some necessary adjustments and empty, shock value change for the sake of change.

I've mentioned the Golden Ager going evil, and just to keep with that example. It *could* be done well. It *could* add to the narrative and enrich the story. But looking at how DC usually handles this sort of thing and how management tends to treat it? It's not going to add anything, it'll just be a cheap gimmick. If we're going to have major changes, they need to be less like Truth and more like Bendis' ID reveal; thought out beyond the first six issues.

I support recontextualizing and making the changes they have to in order to create a real-time history. But I don't support cheap gimmicks. Now, I'll give DC this; it seems like they're putting a lot more time into this than they do most reboots. They don't seem to be racing a deadline, they seem to be really trying to get it right. I applaud them for the effort, as I often applaud a lot of their riskier choices (the industry needs to be daring if they want to survive, so go ahead and be daring, DC). But if they've let themselves turn this into a bunch of cheap shock value crap, then we're not getting the beautiful tapestry of history that you're hoping for, we'll get the worst elements of the New52 all over again, just with a longer time skip.

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I hear, man. This is a high wire act that we're all still wrapping our minds around, and there's a lot of way it go bad. But I will say that, outside of the Golden age character going bad, they don't seem to be selling this on any sort of shock. So far, it's more so the intrigue of making this world flow with some time to it, and set up seeds and ideas for later pay-off, and I think that's what I'm really responding well to here. I dig the use of continuity as living, breathing story rather than the game of back issue trivia it normally is in comics, so leaning into that and sowing seeds for later pay off like a proper compete work really works for me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC doesn't take blind pitches.

He'd have to pitch to Image or one of the other indies (except Dark Horse, who also don't take blind pitches) and work his way up to get DC's notice.

And then all of his creativity and talent would be buried under DC's editorial mandates and all of his best ideas he wouldn't own.

I'm aware, I just am not sure if he himself has any experience or publishing history and don't wish to assume or pry.

I hear, man. This is a high wire act that we're all still wrapping our minds around, and there's a lot of way it go bad. But I will say that, outside of the Golden age character going bad, they don't seem to be selling this on any sort of shock. So far, it's more so the intrigue of making this world flow with some time to it, and set up seeds and ideas for later pay-off, and I think that's what I'm really responding well to here. I dig the use of continuity as living, breathing story rather than the game of back issue trivia it normally is in comics, so leaning into that and sowing seeds for later pay off like a proper compete work really works for me.
    You're not wrong. Of course, we know like, three things about what'll happen, so I don't feel super great about the odds of this being what it *could* be as opposed to what it's *likely* to be. But gods I hope you're right and I'm wrong and DC has figured out how to execute an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm aware, I just am not sure if he himself has any experience or publishing history and don't wish to assume or pry.
    Oh, well sh*t that's considerate then.

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From BMB's twitter:

"action comics 1023 is the first issue of the HOUSE OF KENT. it guest stars jon Kent, Conner Kent (yes they meet), Jonathan and Martha Kent and brainiac 5! a must read for young justice readers too."

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...60770201264129

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From BMB's twitter:

"action comics 1023 is the first issue of the HOUSE OF KENT. it guest stars jon Kent, Conner Kent (yes they meet), Jonathan and Martha Kent and brainiac 5! a must read for young justice readers too."

Could be cool, I’m personally down for just Conner and Jon meeting but also nice to have Jon back again.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From BMB's twitter:

House El and now House Kent huh? Interesting. Also yep looks like Bendis is incorporating the Kents’ return from DDC. Hope he can make me feel alright with their return.