Page 535 of 613 FirstFirst ... 35435485525531532533534535536537538539545585 ... LastLast
Results 8,011 to 8,025 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wonder if Jon was Bendis’ choice?
    According to a past interview on CBR (I'll find the exact quote in a minute), Jon was always the plan even before Bendis came to DC. But Bendis was the one who requested that Jon join the Legion and be allowed to take that journey.

Edit: found it.

"I got to tell you, I'm very proud; I actually first got to pitch this to [DC Comics Co-Publisher, Dan Didio] the first time we met each other just to see if we were going to do this. He was talking about something that he wanted and I mentioned, "I don't even know if the pieces line up with this, this, and this but if it's [Jon Kent] who gets to go, you still get your Superman book but you have Superboy teed up for a completely original journey as a hero that's different than his father's and then they have to deal with it as father and son too."

Notice how he says "you still get your Superman book" when the topic of conversation was Jon.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-29-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    According to a past interview on CBR (I'll find the exact quote in a minute), Jon was always the plan even before Bendis came to DC. But Bendis was the one who requested that Jon join the Legion and be allowed to take that journey.

Edit: found it.

"I got to tell you, I'm very proud; I actually first got to pitch this to [DC Comics Co-Publisher, Dan Didio] the first time we met each other just to see if we were going to do this. He was talking about something that he wanted and I mentioned, "I don't even know if the pieces line up with this, this, and this but if it's [Jon Kent] who gets to go, you still get your Superman book but you have Superboy teed up for a completely original journey as a hero that's different than his father's and then they have to deal with it as father and son too."

Notice how he says "you still get your Superman book" when the topic of conversation was Jon.
    Cause there's that Word Balloon interview where he discusses the backlash against ageing up Jon where he says something to the effect of if they age him it it will give them the Superboy they needed or something. Which I've taken lately as kind of an acknowledgement that there was some issue with the plan for 5G were Jon to stay young. Reading the tea leaves of course, but it sounds similar to the plan to put Lois on a bus post-Action 1000 there were some loose plans in place that Bendis reworked.

EDIT: I took that quote you found to reference the relaunch of Legion directly. But now that I read that I think his WB statement is along those lines so I'm probably off about that one.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-29-2020 at 10:36 AM.

I mean if you look at it, in an odd way if Jon really is Superman in 5G then we will have a Superman who joined the Legion of Superheroes when he was kid....clearly it is not the one we all wanted, but just a random thought right I had reading the discussions above.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Jon is supposed to take over in 5G, according to rumors, and there hasn't been even a hint of Bendis leaving anytime soon. So I'm guessing it's not just spinning wheels and this new status quo will continue into 5G. If Superlad is right and there's a time jump, we might miss all of Clark's term as president of earth but I don't think the plan is to reverse anything.

When Bendis leaves and/or Superman gets rebooted again, the new status quo probably won't be kept, unless it manages to solidify itself as well as the marriage has. I don't expect it to last, but I feel like Bendis and DC are doing their best to establish this as the next step in Clark's life, which is a very different thing from the usual shock value changes that aren't meant to last, so you never know.
    Superman will likely be rebooted i don't doubt it but with how this current reveal is approached, as a sort of logical step on Clark's journey, I do feel portions of it will remain and may be bumped up in the journey instead of waiting years real time. I know for many, they still balk at the loss of the secret identity but with the surgence of (Marvel) CBMs where secret identities are becoming obsolete to the lay audience, new fans may not adhere strictly to the same defining elements that the more traditional fandom prefer. Not to say they'll do away completely with the dual identity but that the reveal on Clark's terms adds another layer to the characterisation of the Last Son of Krypton as he walks among/champions the people of earth.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean if you look at it, in an odd way if Jon really is Superman in 5G then we will have a Superman who joined the Legion of Superheroes when he was kid....clearly it is not the one we all wanted, but just a random thought right I had reading the discussions above.
    I guess it is a rite of passage for Super-people...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's how I see it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Thought this might be relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I've been preaching this for a while now, but Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium issue #2 basically forecasted the post 5G 60 year timeline of the 20th century.

So that then implies the future we see in Bendis' Legion is the future of the "everything happened" timeline that we're about to see in 5G.

Notice how it shows Wonder Woman in the same hall as the JSA. Heck, notice how it has the JSA at all. It also shows Supergirl's death during Crisis. Issue 2 of Legion even confirms that they are already aware that Clark Kent was Superboy when he was a boy. They are living post-5G.

But what I feel is the most important and telling part about all of this is the fact that Booster says "can you imagine where we'd be as a culture if we didn't have to start over twice." Clearly this is a reference to the story in the book where the Earth falls into the dark ages with Kamandi's time and so on. But I firmly believe that this is also talking about how DC has had two line wide reboots in its history.

This allegory is actually supported in issue 1 of Bendis' Legion book where Cham says "we like to think that the Earth, after all those trials and tribulations and REVAMPS and REBOOTS it survived." The physical Earth is a stand in for DC continuity.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not, exactly. Depends on the continuity.byrne superman didn't have a legion nor was he a superboy

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not, exactly. Depends on the continuity.byrne superman didn't have a legion nor was he a superboy
    But he eventually became a Superman that did.

Only in comics, amirite?

I think a lot of us (me included) often forget just how much changed at the turn of the century. The '86 version of Superman came to an end, in a whole lot of ways, with Loeb around 2000-2002.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Then he is no longer byrne superman, he became secret origins superman . Goldenage guy didn't have a legion either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Only in comics, amirite?

I think a lot of us (me included) often forget just how much changed at the turn of the century. The '86 version of Superman came to an end, in a whole lot of ways, with Loeb around 2000-2002.
    There were basically 2 Post Crisis Supermen just like how the Pre Crisis Superman could be divided into the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages. There’s Byrne’s Superman who lasted from Man of Steel to either Birthright or Infinite Crisis depending on your viewpoint, and then there’s the guy who we have now. Loeb may have got the ball rolling on bringing back some of the Pre Crisis toys but it was basically Johns and Busiek who cemented that the Byrne era was over when they started officially bringing back the Legion and killing off Pa Kent.

I mean yeah we got different continuities of Superman, Both Superboys, and Supergirl so its not entirely wrong to think that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There were basically 2 Post Crisis Supermen just like how the Pre Crisis Superman could be divided into the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages. There’s Byrne’s Superman who lasted from Man of Steel to either Birthright or Infinite Crisis depending on your viewpoint, and then there’s the guy who we have now. Loeb may have got the ball rolling on bringing back some of the Pre Crisis toys but it was basically Johns and Busiek who cemented that the Byrne era was over when they started officially bringing back the Legion and killing off Pa Kent.
    Yup. I personally would draw the line somewhere between the Silver Age Krypton retcon (where the post-Crisis Krypton was revealed to be a lie) to Birthright. That's where it started. You're right that Busiek and Johns did most of the heavy retcon/reboot lifting but I think it started with Loeb bringing back an older version of Krypton, Krypto, and a shift into stories like OW@W.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Romita Jr might not be able to draw cheetahs and gorillas, but he can still draw one hell of a cityscape
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Pva2mJ...=1d7e14q0k52ub