Page 498 of 613 FirstFirst ... 398448488494495496497498499500501502508548598 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    These are all the words I want to hear from Bendis.

Of course, I was super thrilled about what Bendis had to say about the Legion at first too, and that didn't work out (conceptually) as well as I wanted it to (dammit Clark, why cant you keep this part of your origin man? WTH?).

I'm down with seeing how this whole identity reveal/earth prez thing unfolds though. If Bendis really does play this as Clark taking the next step in life then it might work. This feels like a different kind of reveal than Truth or any of the other times it's been done. This is more like it's actually designed to come out of the character and his history as a matter of evolution instead of just a random change for shock value. And it even looks like Bendis has thought about how this impacts the franchise too, so he's probably given it more thought than most who've taken us down this road.

But still, as Yang said, the character of Superman is found in the tension between Superman and Clark Kent. (or words to that effect) and this is one of the core elements of the mythos' foundation that Bendis is toying with. I'm interested in where this is gonna go and how we'll get there, but it'll be awfully easy to f*ck this up.
    Another way of viewing it is we may be at the true endgame of Clark Kent's Superman story before 5G happens and Jon takes over.

I guess on some level the last story involving him revealing his identity makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Another way of viewing it is we may be at the true endgame of Clark Kent's Superman story before 5G happens and Jon takes over.

I guess on some level the last story involving him revealing his identity makes sense.
    It's certainly possible. And if this is what Bendis is doing for Clark's endgame then I support it even more.

But I'm not convinced 5G is going to take over the entire DC line. If DC's goal was to just establish the next generation then why put so much effort into defining generations 1-4? It seems much more likely to me that we'll get books set on different generations, if this whole thing turns out to be more than just a reference table (in the same way the multiverse map is a reference table).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's certainly possible. And if this is what Bendis is doing for Clark's endgame then I support it even more.

But I'm not convinced 5G is going to take over the entire DC line. If DC's goal was to just establish the next generation then why put so much effort into defining generations 1-4? It seems much more likely to me that we'll get books set on different generations, if this whole thing turns out to be more than just a reference table (in the same way the multiverse map is a reference table).
    I dunno. The line seems to be hinging upon the 5G change. I don't think they'll publish stories with the originals, or at least as much, when they will be promoting the successors.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I dunno. The line seems to be hinging upon the 5G change. I don't think they'll publish stories with the originals, or at least as much, when they will be promoting the successors.
    Bruce's Batman will get tons of minis as usual.

True, but that could just be marketing. DC might think saying "all new faces!" will generate more hype than saying "new stories in old eras you already read and some new faces too!" DC does love its hate marketing; they actively try to piss us off so we pay closer attention. And then when actual titles get revealed we can all breathe a sigh of relief when we see classic versions included, which might help keep the hype going.

If it were me I wouldn't run the marketing that way, but.....I'm not the guy in charge of DC's marketing.

I mean, I dont know. You could be right. I've barely even paid attention to this. Maybe I'm just in denial and convincing myself that we're getting books we want to read instead of stupid, random changes for the sake of shock value. Because if that's all this is, I think I'm out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Really looking forward to the Matt Fraction portions of the upcoming one shots. I am really hoping that the Villains one shot focuses mainly on the Super Rogues. I don’t care what Joker or the other Gotham freaks think, I want to know what Metallo, Parasite, Livewire, etc think about the reveal.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Ascended, you'll likely be interested in knowing that Bendis doubled down on the idea that this is a "forever thing". As in, it's being formulated to where Clark being outed is going to be set up to last. Also he point blank brings up how Superman's choice to tell the truth will have reverberations on none other than Toyman lol I'm really, really hoping we get an Emil Hamilton Toyman out of this.

Kind of like Geppetto from Morrison's Klaus! I may be getting ahead of myself, but he could have the ingredients required to be an in continuity Leo Quintum. And the visual of Clark (or Jon if it's 5G, I guess) visiting Toyman to get some tech or something sounds fantastic. Hell, since Clark is doing things in a new way, set that dude up with some Kryptonian tech. He could be the excuse for the toy-ish lookin Superman robots I love so much!!

Or it's Red Cloud, and Toyman ends up getting even more evil or he retires out right lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I don’t think Red Cloud redemption is in the cards. If anything I think her endgame is taking over the Invisible Mafia.

I'm more than down for her not getting the redemption, and it going to Toyman. He collects so much dust, and it's so damn hard for him to be taken seriously if he's not a pedo or poor man's Joker.

If 5G is a thing the way it's rumored to be, then I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing Toyman as Jon's Emil Hamilton. The history with his father could be a cool angle for Jon's "Q". And on its own, I kind of dig that Bendis' Toyman is kind of crabby and a little irritable. That could be a fun as a person trying to be better.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Ascended, you'll likely be interested in knowing that Bendis doubled down on the idea that this is a "forever thing". As in, it's being formulated to where Clark being outed is going to be set up to last. Also he point blank brings up how Superman's choice to tell the truth will have reverberations on none other than Toyman lol I'm really, really hoping we get an Emil Hamilton Toyman out of this.
    I guess it's easier to make it last when it becomes just another piece of a retired character's history once the 5G timeline hits.
    Kind of like Geppetto from Morrison's Klaus! I may be getting ahead of myself, but he could have the ingredients required to be an in continuity Leo Quintum. And the visual of Clark (or Jon if it's 5G, I guess) visiting Toyman to get some tech or something sounds fantastic. Hell, since Clark is doing things in a new way, set that dude up with some Kryptonian tech. He could be the excuse for the toy-ish lookin Superman robots I love so much!!
    I guess they have similar fashion senses, although I kind of prefer crazy evil Toyman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think Red Cloud redemption is in the cards. If anything I think her endgame is taking over the Invisible Mafia.
    I think it would be somewhat wasteful to have this new, prominent, female Superman villain get redeemed so soon after she debuts.

Then again, Livewire's gotten close to redemption and that's never really stuck.
    I'm more than down for her not getting the redemption, and it going to Toyman. He collects so much dust, and it's so damn hard for him to be taken seriously if he's not a pedo or poor man's Joker.
    We've gotten some good and really creepy Toymen in other media, although I could see the argument for comic Toyman. Granted he hasn't really done much since he took a break during the New 52 for Toymaster and after Reborn brought him back into continuity.

I'm not surprised Bendis is building this to last. It's got that vibe to it. But whether that actually happens? That's not up to him. We'll see. If Bendis can actually do this right and make it sustainable I am all for it. I've been wanting to see more evolution out of the mythos for a while now, and as much as I love the Clark-Superman dynamic, *if* Bendis gets this right I'm down. I just doubt DC will have the balls/attention span to stick with it, even if its good.

Oh, I'd be all for it. Better him than Red Cloud. I just think Cloud changing sides seems more believable at the moment but would rather she remain a villain (Clark has so few of those, and this one is pretty cool).

Like Frontier said too, if 5G really does take over the whole line then Clark going public as Superman doesn't as much spotlight on it, so it'll be easier to get away with. I still dont believe DC is flat ass stupid enough to do this though. How many times have we seen this sort of thing? No one ever likes it. Who the hell would authorize something this stupid?

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I imagine there will be plenty of new comics featuring the current generation of heroes (and villains), but they will be Black Label titles (like "White Knight", "Harleen", etc.), and therefore not in continuity. Probably the monthly titles in the main DC line will be all about the new crowd.

I'm not surprised Bendis is building this to last. It's got that vibe to it. But whether that actually happens? That's not up to him. We'll see. If Bendis can actually do this right and make it sustainable I am all for it. I've been wanting to see more evolution out of the mythos for a while now, and as much as I love the Clark-Superman dynamic, *if* Bendis gets this right I'm down. I just doubt DC will have the balls/attention span to stick with it, even if its good.
    You know what popped into my head shortly after the interview? This could help us get a Superman movie or show in the works a little faster.

I see it kind of like how Tom King's Vision is basically what allows Wanda Vision to be a thing conceptually, or, heck, his Mister Miracle is allowing New Gods to be an actual thing now. Same goes Falcon and Winter Solder leaning heavily on Sam-Cap, and Hawkeye introducing Kate Bishop.

I figure, whatever the next Superman movie or show is, it's going to either get to or star with Clark outing himself, or it's gonna be about passing things onto Jon. I could be wrong obviously, but it feels like DC (and likely WB given how Superman is kind of in purgatory right now) is down to roll out a new angle on the character, or a new character for the Superman IP. And outside of Lee, Kirby, and Millar (I think) I think Bendis may have the best track record for influencing adaptations.

Maybe not what some of the people who want a meat and potatoes take on Superman are right now are looking to hear, but it might just be the sort of thing gets some dude or lady in a suit interested enough to say yes to something, you know?

You know what popped into my head shortly after the interview? This could help us get a Superman movie or show in the works a little faster.

I see it kind of like how Tom King's Vision is basically what allows Wanda Vision to be a thing conceptually, or, heck, his Mister Miracle is allowing New Gods to be an actual thing now. Same goes Falcon and Winter Solder leaning heavily on Sam-Cap, and Hawkeye introducing Kate Bishop.

I figure, whatever the next Superman movie or show is, it's going to either get to or star with Clark outing himself, or it's gonna be about passing things onto Jon. I could be wrong obviously, but it feels like DC (and likely WB given how Superman is kind of in purgatory right now) is down to roll out a new angle on the character, or a new character for the Superman IP. And outside of Lee, Kirby, and Millar (I think) I think Bendis may have the best track record for influencing adaptations.

Maybe not what some of the people who want a meat and potatoes take on Superman are right now are looking to hear, but it might just be the sort of thing gets some dude or lady in a suit interested enough to say yes to something, you know?
    Maybe but they already vetoed that Superman Family cartoon so I’m not really sure how Superman’s aged up son who repeatedly time traveled is going to sell a suit on anything. I do expect Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia to make appearances in outside media. I doubt Rogal will though.

It's bad enough Jon is the way he is now in the comics. I'd rather his first prominent appearance, in other mediums, not be the Bendis version. With any luck he'll at least be allowed to grow up normally in the Young Justice universe.