Page 547 of 613 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551557597 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well, Conner is cooler than Jon. Doesn't mean he's superior as an individual, but Jon can be aware of the fact.
    Being stuck in the 1990s "fashion" makes "cooler" rather relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Punk feels like it’s making a comeback though

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Exactly. Conner' jacket looks like something somebody in a pop rock band would wear. One of those suburb kids trying way too hard to be rock an roll. It's definitely not badass. It wouldn't even have been cool back in the 90's (maybe the 80's). Fabulous seems a perfectly valid term.

And I swear Jon's come out with some odd word choices in the past.

In the end, it's a single word in a comic that will be full of them. If someone is gonna get a hair across their ass about a single word....I mean, I get wanting characters to sound right, but it's *one* word. At this point, feels like it's not critiquing the work so much as just looking for stuff to complain about.

Like Jon saying "Great Scott" in Legion recently. I mean, I hate that saying, and hated it twenty years ago when Clark was still using it un-ironically, but Jon seems to be using these terms in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way, and that seems very much in-line with his characterization to me.
    The problem isn't this was a word. This was tease to get people excited. I mean, jon andnconner meeting was an event. Now, it feels watered-down. The tease just didn't work for many. How is it in character? The character has never been tongue in cheek. This isn't goldenage superman who goes upto camera and does a wink. Jon was the enusiastic fanboy type. And bendis hasn't done a thing to make the character his own. He is just piling on superman on him. That is a colossal mistake. The only thing he did was the alien slang thing. Which was discarded for obvious reasons. Jon is in a perpetual stationary state ever since bendis took over. The character itself hasn't Developed . Which is funny since he has been aged up. Jon has no interests, barely has a personality and is a stick in the mud.This has always been the complaint with jon under bendis. Bendis hasn't add anything to the jon's mythos. And that's just unimaginative. I am sure there are writers who would have taken jon and build him up. If this 5G nonsense is true. Bendis hasn't done anything to jon as a character to make him worthy of the superman books. He doesn't have a world differentiates him from the current superman. He doesn't have a cast anymore .His aforementioned problems with personality which is channeling clark kent that to in the postcrisis way. How the heck is this blank and bland character going to be The Superman when it falls apart without current superman ?

Even if 5G wasn't happening. I would like jon to be treated as a protagonist in his story.. Not him being a chess piece Clark's grant narrative which can be moved around. Him being his own character away from superman should be a goal. Granted, he is the son of superman and He shares a pact with damian to be superman one day. But, that doesn’t mean him as a character doesn't need development.Character development and progression are two thing. Jon has progressed, i guess(i mean, he is aged up. It isn't good progression and is executed badly) . But, his developments were thrown away and isn't being done properly after that. I would say the same for conner. The guy hasn't had anything to himself since his return and is just jumping around from places. Which is just disinteresting and boring.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-26-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The problem isn't this was a word. This was tease to get people excited. I mean, jon andnconner meeting was an event. Now, it feels watered-down. The tease just didn't work for many. How is it in character? The character has never been tongue in cheek. This isn't goldenage superman. Jon was the enusiastic fanboy type. And bendis hasn't done a thing to make the character his own. He is just piling on superman on him. That is a colossal mistake. The only thing he did was the alien slang thing. Which was discarded for obvious reasons. Jon is in a perpetual stationary state ever since bendis took over. The character itself hasn't Developed . Which is funny since he has been aged up?Jon has no interests, barely has a personality and is a stick in the mud.This has always been the complaint with jon under bendis. Bendis hasn't add anything to the jon's mythos. And that's just unimaginative. I am sure there are writers who would have taken jon and build him up. If this 5G nonsense is true. Bendis hasn't done anything to jon as a character to make him worthy of the superman books. He doesn't have a world differentiates him from the current superman. He doesn't have a cast anymore .His aforementioned problems with personality which is channeling clark kent that to in the postcrisis way. How the heck is this blank and bland character going to be The Superman when it falls apart without current superman ?

Even if 5G wasn't happening. I would like jon to be treated as a protagonist in his story.. Not him being a chess piece Clark's grant narrative which can be moved around. Him being his own character away from superman should be a goal. Granted, he is the son of superman and He shares a pact with damian to be superman one day. But, that doesn’t mean him as a character doesn't need development.Character development and progression are two thing. Jon has progressed, i guess(i mean, he is aged up. It isn't good progression and is executed badly) . But, his developments were thrown away and isn't being done properly after that. I would say the same for conner. The guy hasn't had anything to himself since his return and is just jumping around from places. Which is just disinteresting and boring.
    Smh, you guys are saying things that are all true, but you're missing the most salient point. Bendis isn't a DC guy, he never will be. That's why these characters are out of sort and fizzle.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The problem isn't this was a word. This was tease to get people excited. I mean, jon andnconner meeting was an event. Now, it feels watered-down. The tease just didn't work for many. How is it in character? The character has never been tongue in cheek. This isn't goldenage superman who goes upto camera and does a wink. Jon was the enusiastic fanboy type. And bendis hasn't done a thing to make the character his own. He is just piling on superman on him. That is a colossal mistake. The only thing he did was the alien slang thing. Which was discarded for obvious reasons. Jon is in a perpetual stationary state ever since bendis took over. The character itself hasn't Developed . Which is funny since he has been aged up. Jon has no interests, barely has a personality and is a stick in the mud.This has always been the complaint with jon under bendis. Bendis hasn't add anything to the jon's mythos. And that's just unimaginative. I am sure there are writers who would have taken jon and build him up. If this 5G nonsense is true. Bendis hasn't done anything to jon as a character to make him worthy of the superman books. He doesn't have a world differentiates him from the current superman. He doesn't have a cast anymore .His aforementioned problems with personality which is channeling clark kent that to in the postcrisis way. How the heck is this blank and bland character going to be The Superman when it falls apart without current superman ?

I really don't see that many people freaking out about it, only a vocal few seem to be going haywire over this script, which really isn't that much of a sin as you are trying to imply it to be. I can't reitirate how many times that teen Jon has lived years of his life that we haven't seen and you can just blame that for why he may sound different than kid Jon. So there is no need to act like it's the end of the world that Bendis isn't pretending to write a Jon that's still the same sheltered hamilton county boy we first saw in tomasi's run.

As for the protagonist problem, that's the point of him joining legion, so he can get character development without Superman at his side.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Punk is timeless, yo.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Kents are officially back in the Superman: Villains special:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Glad to see that Bendis lived up to his promise and the Kent’s are alive again, and I guess this means that they will be hidden on some hidden farm the public shouldn’t be able to find. Personally I hope this means we get some stories of Jon hanging out with his grandparents.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Glad to see that Bendis lived up to his promise and the Kent’s are alive again, and I guess this means that they will be hidden on some hidden farm the public shouldn’t be able to find. Personally I hope this means we get some stories of Jon hanging out with his grandparents.
    Why? Jon hanging out on a farm with his two Baby Boomer grandparents sounds insanely boring. Stuff like that is why I don’t want the Kents back, beyond “OMG it would be so cute if Jon met Pa and Ma ” there’s no actual worthwhile stories that you couldn’t just tell with Clark and Jon.

Don’t mean to target you, I’m just venting my own personal unpopular opinion lol.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-27-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Oh god, here we go!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I really don't see that many people freaking out about it, only a vocal few seem to be going haywire over this script, which really isn't that much of a sin as you are trying to imply it to be. I can't reitirate how many times that teen Jon has lived years of his life that we haven't seen and you can just blame that for why he may sound different than kid Jon. So there is no need to act like it's the end of the world that Bendis isn't pretending to write a Jon that's still the same sheltered hamilton county boy we first saw in tomasi's run.

As for the protagonist problem, that's the point of him joining legion, so he can get character development without Superman at his side.
    That precisely the point. The years gone and character being taken back to zero development .Him not being built back up after tearing him down. Everything he has is taken from the current superman. What's difference between current clark kent and jon kent? Nothing. Conner atleast is different in personality. Readers have notions about the character by their past readings of the character . Tell you what, take 20 year time skip and have clark kent say " i am vengeance, i am the night and i am batman". Have him then put some criminal in a comma. Would you expect reader to not have questions? There will be questions and if answers aren't given. Then the character is shallow and it is bad writing. My question is simple, who is jon kent? Is he the same kid? He clearly isn't. But, bendis treats him like nothing changed. Then proceeds to write him differently with out any flashbacks or reasoning. It's nonsense. Many of these things don't even land.
    Besides, i don't think these things are the problem. I don't think bendis gets the character. That's acceptable. Not everyone can write everything.

Well, so much for Bendis' artists being the one good thing about his books. That art there is rough, to say the least.

Not even going to touch upon the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Why? Jon hanging out on a farm with his two Baby Boomer grandparents sounds insanely boring. Stuff like that is why I don’t want the Kents back, beyond “OMG it would be so cute if Jon met Pa and Ma ” there’s no actual worthwhile stories that you couldn’t just tell with Clark and Jon.

Don’t mean to target you, I’m just venting my own personal unpopular opinion lol.
    I'm fine with that, not everyone wants the same stories so it doesn't bother me one bit. Honestly it pretty much is for the whole "hey I'd like to see a happy family life for Superman with his son and his parents being alive"
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I would like jon to be treated as a protagonist in his story.. Not him being a chess piece Clark's grant narrative which can be moved around.
    I get that. Everyone wants their favorite hero to have their own agency. And hey, I'm a huge Nightwing fan. His own solo book gets derailed for Bats constantly. So I get it. But this isn't Jon's book. It isn't Jon's story. It's Clark's book, and Clark's story. Jon *is* nothing more than a piece to move around.

What you seem to want is for Jon to have his own solo (or a return of Super Sons at least, and who doesn't want that?). And I'd check that out too. But for everyone complaining about how Jon hasn't driven his own narrative as much under Bendis, just as many of us complained when Tomasi made most of the book revolve around him. Which hey, at the time it was kinda understandable; new major supporting character, you gotta establish them and their role. But many people hated Tomasi giving a supporting cast member so much panel time and focus and narrative drive. Now the book is about Clark again. As it should be. This isn't a team up book, it's not "The Kents." (which I'd read) It's Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.