Page 481 of 613 FirstFirst ... 381431471477478479480481482483484485491531581 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,215 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

"Bleeding Cool understands from comic professional gossip at New York Comic Con this past weekend, spinning out of our reports on the new DC timeline, that it is planned by DC Comics editorial that Jonathan Kent will now return from the 31st Century and the Legion of Super-Heroes to the present day (whenever that is now meant to be) as a young adult.

At that point, I understand that Jonathan Kent will replace his father, and be the new Superman.

And this will be the new status for the Superman comic book titles at DC Comics, Superman, Superman/Batman, Action Comics, Lois Lane, Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen, Justice League and more going forward.

The Superman books are currently written by Brian Bendis, and it looks likely that this is part of his plan going forward. Previously at Marvel Comics, Bendis saw the Ultimate version of Peter Parker, Spider-Man, die and replaced in the role by his creation Miles Morales. Could we be getting a similar story here?

More on this story and other DC Comics plans from Bleeding Cool today."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...man-dc-comics/
    If this goes through...

I didn't think there was a new low for Bendis to take the Super line. Until this. Not only did I not like the whole "President Clark Kent" thing, but now shoehorning Jon into the Superman role. STOP. Seriously, just stop. Its like DC wants to kill its comic line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he was kind of his dad's sidekick during the Rebirth era. At least a little.
    My bad. I haven't read Kon since reboot. First we had one that was not our Kon (and I didn't even read Superman until they brought back the post-COIE one), then we had Bendis on YJ, and I disliked his Lois Lane (and, to a lesser extent, Clark) enough not to read those.

I'm aware such a thing wouldn't last. In fact I'd expect it to fall flat on its face and have to be reverted before planned to end, but things are becoming harder and harder to stay invested in and I just don't know if I have it in me to wait around for a horrendous idea of this magnitude to end.
    I don't blame you. It's easier just to pick up the issues that you want a few years after they're published and you can read the entire story at once (having checked opinions with those you trust ahead of time and only getting ones you think you will like). And that's only if you feel like checking in again 5 years from now. But I expect they'll still being doing these shocking shake-up events then. To me, they have diminishing returns. More than once every 10 years is too much and the event shouldn't last more than year. Because so many stories take a year or more now, it's like you never get to move forward because everything is always being taken off the rails by an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    If this goes through...

I didn't think there was a new low for Bendis to take the Super line. Until this. Not only did I not like the whole "President Clark Kent" thing, but now shoehorning Jon into the Superman role. STOP. Seriously, just stop. Its like DC wants to kill its comic line.
    If we're playing conspiracy theory, the only thing I could think of that would make sense for such a terrible idea would be self-sabotage so Didio could reboot again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

On the one hand obviously no, on the other hand I'd actually love to see Jon as Superman, on the other other hand much as I'm digging Bendis Superman right now he's not who I'd trust with doing that in a way that would work and endure. Jon as Superman should be just as much the core iconography on speed and fired through a railgun as Damian with Batman 666, and that's not what a Bendis take on it would deliver.
    Buh-bye

I wonder if this is going to work into the further reorganization of the publishing line/channels. With each "Generation" effectively getting its own imprint? Didio said we haven't seen the stories from the first and second generations, hinting that they're be some backfill of all this at some point.

We have "Gen 4" as a tighter core publishing line through the normal channels, that's the monthly flopies. Gen's 1-2 tales getting something akin to the Ink/Zoom line - "Classic" takes set in a closed loop continuity for a bookstore market. And a Wonder Comics like "Gen 5" imprint that's all the Next Generation of heroes letting them go wild with stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Shall we revisit this in, say, a year's time? As I have stated, this is not about legacies. And the person who put the mainstays above? Geoff Johns. So anyway... care to make it interesting?
    JOHNS is the one who puts the mainstays above the legacies? With Hal Jordan maybe I could see that, but Johns was not the one who wanted Barry Allen back. That was Didio and EVS, and Didio is the one who gets all angsty about the legacies making the OG look too old. And now you’re telling me that he’s on board for replacing ALL the mainstays at once? As an imprint sure I could buy that but as the main line it’s idiotic. Black Batman has an obvious and immediate appeal, but the time displaced aged up version of Jon who is white like his father does not.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-07-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If true, this is 100% sour grapes from Didio. He's so salty about New 52 that he's going all in on legacy in a way nobody wants to prove legacy sucks so he can get what he wants.

I joke, but it is just another extreme that feels largely stupid and will only muck up the DCU further. Really hope this is false.

I would certainly be dropping a lot of books.

Here's the thing though, if we imagine this as more a Bendis joint as opposed to Didio, it does track. The basic premise is like All-New All-Different Marvel, potentially without the verse altering elements. No one wants this to be less true than me, I'm tired of this hobby being more about waiting for bad ideas to end than just enjoying things, but I do think there's credence here, sadly.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's line wide, not just Superman & Batman. So it's well outside Bendis' sphere of influence. ALL big 7 are getting replaced supposedly with staggered new #1's. That sounds like an imprint to me.

Would be kind of surprising that Bendis wields that much clout. He’s not a big seller at all, and there’s blowback to consider if this doesn’t go through. Of course DC is already far behind Marvel in sales so maybe the thought is “**** it we need to shake things up in the extreme”.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's line wide, not just Superman & Batman. So it's well outside Bendis' sphere of influence. ALL big 7 are getting replaced supposedly with staggered new #1's. That sounds like an imprint to me.
    I'm not so sure his influence is limited to just Superman and Batman now. The similarities are as such that to me its a sign that his influence could potentially be much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not so sure his influence is limited to just Superman and Batman now. The similarities are as such that to me its a sign that his influence is much greater.
    I’ve seen no evidence of his influence over Flash and he certainly doesn’t have any hold on Green Lantern, Morrison would walk before letting another writer dictate to him. He had control of Superman and Wonder Comics, but outside of those two “groups” I’m not seeing any evidence he’s dictating story beats to other people.

Well, the proposed initiative hasn't really started yet, if it is what its being purported to be. So indeed if there's any truth to the theory, we wouldn't be seeing the larger influence yet. There may not be a methodical build-up, so no evidence line-wide might not really be an indicator that Bendis' hand in this isn't large. Building up for big initiatives was more a Johns thing anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if this stuff just lands all at once, much like the New 52 did.

Either way I just hope I find out sooner than later if its accurate or not. I don't want to be wasting my time with the main line if this BS is around the corner. I'd rather cut the cord sooner and not be strung along. I'm in this for the ongoing adventures of Superman. Kal-El/Clark Kent. I have no interest in consuming what might amount to a retirement build-up any more than I have a desire to see an undeserving character parading as Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Not a fan of this idea, though I do think there are good possibilities with a concept like this. I started thinking yesterday I could see the 4th generation timeline ending with Snyder’s event next year, so it adds up. And Bleeding Cool has been teasing this 5G thing for a while now so I do trust this rumor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    JOHNS is the one who puts the mainstays above the legacies? With Hal Jordan maybe I could see that, but Johns was not the one who wanted Barry Allen back.
    Quite frankly, Johns did his best to make Wally West as similar to Barry Allen as possible.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021