Page 499 of 613 FirstFirst ... 399449489495496497498499500501502503509549599 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,485 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    It's bad enough Jon is the way he is now in the comics. I'd rather his first prominent appearance, in other mediums, not be the Bendis version. With any luck he'll at least be allowed to grow up normally in the Young Justice universe.
    Well, clark's first appearance was when we meet him in the middle of the night trying to get the governor to listen to him. After, a short montage of his backstory with just some panels. Jon's backstory can be done the same way.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe but they already vetoed that Superman Family cartoon so I’m not really sure how Superman’s aged up son who repeatedly time traveled is going to sell a suit on anything. I do expect Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia to make appearances in outside media. I doubt Rogal will though.
    Superman bringing up a 10 year old son in a straight up Rockwellian fashion is vastly different from the prospect of the story of the next Superman in the line who is Superman's son. That's a different focus, vibe, and system of priorities for a cartoon, show, or movie.

Add in the heavy generation Y and Z influenced Legion as his peers, and the fact that he has no predestination (his sexual orientation isn't even hammered out yet. Hell, given how racially flexible they allow Clark's supporting cast to be, Lois could not be white, and Jon could be mixed if they felt like it.) or obligatory famous stories to run through similar again to Miles, and I could see why this may catch a suit's eye.

And then the other option is an outed Clark who is gonna be President of Earth. Not you, I, nor anyone else has seen THAT show or movie. That could be a genuine second wind for the character in the eyes of public.

It seems unlikely as we know it right now to think that we could see either of these things, but we live in daring times.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Maybe but they already vetoed that Superman Family cartoon so I’m not really sure how Superman’s aged up son who repeatedly time traveled is going to sell a suit on anything. I do expect Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia to make appearances in outside media. I doubt Rogal will though.
    Leviathan is already popping up in Supergirl (the TV show) but I expect it will be very different from the comics, as tends to be the case.

To be honest, with the vast amount of Superman source material out there, I don't think the current status quo is as palpable for an entry point in other media. I mean, just next year we're getting an animated film about a year one Superman and a lack of a really heavy push for Jon, so something that shakes the character up to this extent just doesn't seem like something I see them jumping so quickly on versus a more back-to-basics or traditional version.

Granted, I think Bendis actually has it in his contract that he can be more involved in the media aspect, so that could also be a factor.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Superman 17 art

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Superman bringing up a 10 year old son in a straight up Rockwellian fashion is vastly different from the prospect of the story of the next Superman in the line who is Superman's son. That's a different focus, vibe, and system of priorities for a cartoon, show, or movie.

Add in the heavy generation Y and Z influenced Legion as his peers, and the fact that he has no predestination (his sexual orientation isn't even hammered out yet. Hell, given how racially flexible they allow Clark's supporting cast to be, Lois could not be white, and Jon could be mixed if they felt like it.) or obligatory famous stories to run through similar again to Miles, and I could see why this may catch a suit's eye.

And then the other option is an outed Clark who is gonna be President of Earth. Not you, I, nor anyone else has seen THAT show or movie. That could be a genuine second wind for the character in the eyes of public.

It seems unlikely as we know it right now to think that we could see either of these things, but we live in daring times.
    With creatives at wb. They would make clark into a stand-in for trump and make jon into rebellious young superman fighting against the "tyranny" of his father. I mean, injustice is a thing. WB doesn't care for superman that much.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Bendis never disappoints me. Listened to the Word Balloon podcast and he said everything right. That he’s actually evolving the character of Superman is really exciting to me. I never dreamed I’d be buying Superman comics but now I’m looking forward to what’s next. Seeing heroes fight villains every month just isn’t interstitial to me. It’s how the characters interact and deal with what they do that makes comics interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Sure but even by your own post the “appeal” of using Jon seems to be that you can radically change him compared to his father, and we’ve seen how well their attempts at radically changing Clark’s image went over in the DCEU. I do think a “Son of Superman” movie or show has more room to vary compared to the main guy himself since the general audience doesn’t really know about Jon at all, but I also doubt whatever a WB suit would sign off on would be any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Leviathan is already popping up in Supergirl (the TV show) but I expect it will be very different from the comics, as tends to be the case.

To be honest, with the vast amount of Superman source material out there, I don't think the current status quo is as palpable for an entry point in other media. I mean, just next year we're getting an animated film about a year one Superman and a lack of a really heavy push for Jon, so something that shakes the character up to this extent just doesn't seem like something I see them jumping so quickly on versus a more back-to-basics or traditional version.

Granted, I think Bendis actually has it in his contract that he can be more involved in the media aspect, so that could also be a factor.
    I’d still take him over Terrio or Goyer but for the most part other people tend to do a better job with Bendis’ work than Bendis himself. The Avengers: EMH did a much better job with Secret Invasion than Bendis did in the comics. Leviathan is a good idea at its core, let’s clean up the 101 spy agencies of the DCU, so I hope they can take the core of the idea and improve it. There’s good ideas in Bendis’ run that I wouldn’t mind at all showing up in outside media, but I totally agree that it’s not the best entry point and probably isn’t going to be what the people in charges first choice is. I mean we still have to see what happens when 5G rolls around and Jon takes the mantle. If that’s handled poorly it could poison the character.

Astonishing Member

Well, I for one liked what I heard. It's pretty much how I wanted this reveal to go down. Show me how everyone reacts to the reveal, with regards to the DP and Lex and plenty more who have strong connection to either Clark or Superman as either allies or his enemies. Expound on that! Clark being all about truth, this is the final truth than must come out and it makes sense for him at this latter stage of his career. I'm cautiously optimistic since it all hinges on the writing, I already love the idea.

As for the 5G side of things, I haven't formulated any opinion just yest, all my focus and attention is on Clark/Superman and a little bit on the Legion for Jon's development.

Regarding the larger media stuff.....hard to say. WB clearly has no understanding or love for Superman, and they've definitely written him off. But they still know that the "S" sells tons of merchandise. I mean, weren't they trying to make a Supergirl movie, where she arrives before Clark?

They're not above trying to replace Clark with another Super. And they might view Jon as a viable option. I mean, the concept pretty much sells itself.

But.....so what? WB hasn't exactly done Clark any favors; they understand the appeal of Batman and really don't get why anyone cares about other heroes. The good films, like Aquaman and Wonder Woman, seem to be good largely because the studio expected failure and ignored the whole thing. So even if WB rolled out a movie with Jon, unless we got super lucky and the suits kept their fingers out of it (likely because they're all up Batman's ass) it's not gonna be worth watching.

That said, I'd be amazed if we didn't get Jon in the next season (or two) of Young Justice. It's looking to me like this might be Jon's larger media debut....unless the Arrowverse sneaks him in during their Crisis crossover.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I’d still take him over Terrio or Goyer but for the most part other people tend to do a better job with Bendis’ work than Bendis himself. The Avengers: EMH did a much better job with Secret Invasion than Bendis did in the comics. Leviathan is a good idea at its core, let’s clean up the 101 spy agencies of the DCU, so I hope they can take the core of the idea and improve it. There’s good ideas in Bendis’ run that I wouldn’t mind at all showing up in outside media, but I totally agree that it’s not the best entry point and probably isn’t going to be what the people in charges first choice is. I mean we still have to see what happens when 5G rolls around and Jon takes the mantle. If that’s handled poorly it could poison the character.
    Absolutely agreed on the bolded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Regarding the larger media stuff.....hard to say. WB clearly has no understanding or love for Superman, and they've definitely written him off. But they still know that the "S" sells tons of merchandise. I mean, weren't they trying to make a Supergirl movie, where she arrives before Clark?
    Well, they commissioned two animated films out of the blue for next year so I don't think they've completely written him off.

Not to mention it's hard to ignore that Reign of the Supermen is the most-watched film on DC Universe.
    That said, I'd be amazed if we didn't get Jon in the next season (or two) of Young Justice. It's looking to me like this might be Jon's larger media debut....unless the Arrowverse sneaks him in during their Crisis crossover.
    I think we're two seasons and quite a few time skips away from Jon as Superboy on Young Justice yet.

It’s not Superman they’ve written off so much as Cavill. They’re still using Superman in the TV shows and like Frontier said, we’ve got two animated Superman movies coming. Even that Supergirl movie was supposedly aimed at rebooting the Superman side of the films, with potentially the next Superman cameoing. But we haven’t heard anything about Supergirl and with Abrams now at WB, maybe he’ll take a crack at Supes? We just don’t know what’s going on but in all honestly Supes is getting more of a push in outside media than he has in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they commissioned two animated films out of the blue for next year so I don't think they've completely written him off.

Not to mention it's hard to ignore that Reign of the Supermen is the most-watched film on DC Universe.

I think we're two seasons and quite a few time skips away from Jon as Superboy on Young Justice yet.
    Ah, should've specified; I was talking about the movie studio. On the tv and cartoon side of things it's not nearly as bad, but those aren't the movie guys. In the films....I have damn little faith. Aside from a better Superman in JL (which was still a failure of a movie overall) all we hear about is how badly messed up things are. No movement on a MoS-2, even before the stuff with Cav-El's contract, attempting to fix the franchise by ignoring the core character and dealing with a satellite legacy (which makes no sense), and even that isn't happening from the looks of it. At least not any time soon. The movie studio is clearly clueless when it comes to Clark.

As for YJ, I guess it depends on how big the time jump is. I haven't actually watched the latest season; I was gonna wait for the whole thing to finish then get the DCU sub and binge the hell out of it in one month. But now that they're releasing YJO on blu-ray I'm just gonna wait for that. So I don't know if there's plot points that need to be addressed quickly or if it could, theoretically, take such a big jump next season.

Jon and Damian both appeared as infants, right? So a nine-ten year jump would definitely be huge; way bigger than any previous one. So it does seem unlikely but given what little I know of season 3 I won't say its impossible. But if not next season, the season after that? I'm betting we get Jon by then.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't understand how can the superman in jl movie be better. He was basically a caricature. The only thing that was any good was the moment when clark starts moving in hypertime and scares barry. Other than that, superman felt fake. Man of steel was infinitely better showing. There whenever clark did smile it was genuine. I liked the parts in farmhouse which was shot by snyder and the small interaction with alfred. Other than that everything was so plastic . Heck! I would take bvs over fake superman, We got in jl. Everything was so surface level. If that's the direction we are headed then yuck!
    I guess, different strokes for different people.

Oh, I much prefer the Superman in MoS to what we got in JL, but after BvS it was just really nice to see Superman beat the hell out of everyone and be in a good mood.

Yeah, it was a much thinner characterization but him kicking ass did a lot for my bruised Super-fan ego.

~ Black Panther.