Page 435 of 613 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435436437438439445485535 ... LastLast
Results 6,511 to 6,525 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Jon aspires to be like his dad and that also includes doing what he believes is right based on how his parents brought him up. In his first SS arc he was sneaking out with Damian but there was a point where he did something because it was the right thing to do, like going back for the sister when they were under heavy attack, if my memory serves me right. This aged up Jon isn't doing anything that his young version hasn't done before. The difference is that we are super analysing every single shot/word bubble since he showed up compared to his younger counterpart, whom we let live his (sometimes questionable) life without judgement.

As for Clark and Jor-El, we should be getting some answers soon, whether they satisfy you or not.
    I never said jon doesn't do right thing.the first supersons issue jon stood upto bullies because it was the right thing.
    I said when he decides to wear the superboy costume and go out its primarily to have an adventure. that's why he seeks out damian.Going on adventure alone is boring. Having someone the same age and who shares your secret with you is better than going it alone. I believe, some of the robins and batgirls did become superheroes for the thrill of it. Doesn't mean they didn't believe in doing right thing or they don't do the right thing.
    So, if this adult jon decides to go to space again. it should be to have an adventure, not for jor el(atleast not main reason ) . Atleast, if he was the same kid as before and hasn't changed . The action itself is not my problem, but his motivation is what i don't understand or clear to me . If it was just jor el,kid jon would have easily let clark handle it and wouldn't go. I mean, as you said clark is the authority/father figure, jon has shown no problem obeying authority figures in his life.
    People are saying adult jon decided to go to space again for jor el. Fine. Then adult Jon's motivations have changed(whether it be" doing the right thing" or relationship with jor el, currently) and he is not the same character anymore. I am complaining that we didn't get the connective tissues of this change and whatever we got was rushed and not clear. You are right. I might be super analysing. It's because i just don't get this adult jon because of the rushed changes.i can't relate to him. He feels hollow and like a shell for some reason .a caricature.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

New Bendis tapes are live. Heavy focus on Jon, and Legion stuff.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Can someone please post the gist of what he said? I'll appreciate that.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

If I find some time tomorrow, I'll post up some sort detailed breakdown for other posters like yourself, rpmaluki. That's if I'm not beaten to it of course.

In the meantime, I'm only about 34 minutes in, but Bendis dropped the FANTASTIC bit of info that he's approaching the Legion of Super-Heroes the same way he approached the Ultimate Universe. This is specifically because this is 100% a reboot/update (thus the first ever time Superman is meeting the Legion in this continuity), and this is intended to be conceptualized from modern sensibilities like the Ultimate Universe in comparison to the normal Marvel U at the time. And--from what I took from it-- the setting is so far into the future that it the amount of freedom afforded is akin to that of a separate universe.

For all intents and purposes, this is the 'Ultimate DCU' compete with 'Ultimate Superman' in the form of Jon Kent-Superboy. My 'hot take'? Extremely elegant, if not inspired. This is an extremely strong and calculated plan of attack for seeing to the success of a property. The proof will be in the pudding, obviously, but as just an elevator pitch it's quite strong.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

^^^ Appreciated but that's okay. I'm listening to it at the moment.

I don't know how I feel about the 32nd Century being the "Ultimate Universe" of DC.

New 52 was far closer to it, and it's one universe I and many other have attachments to. Meanwhile, I know next to nothing about the LoSH and have no attachment for those characters. And LoSH fans will be upset about such a development, I'm willing to bet on it.

I don't think it's the right approach for an Ultimate line, especially with a small franchise like the Legion.

Astonishing Member

I have never read LoSH but I liked that he's not invalidating what came before. Those attached to the stories that came before don't have to worry about anything changing or whatever. Whether those fans will appreciate this new iteration is up in the air obviously. It works out great for me because it means I can just jump in with Bendis and if I want to know what Waid and other writers did in the past, I can do so at my leisure, which has been the story of my comic reading since I picked up my first book almost a decade ago, start with the new and over time, I'll work my way backwards to what came before.

Edit: I don't think N52 being the "Ulitmate" of DC was ever anything official. I think it's a personal thing in the same way Bendis sees his LoSH as his "Ultimate" in DC.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 06-25-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Mighty Member

I listened to the Jon Kent portions of the interview and it really does seem to solidify my belief that Bendis really doesn't understand why he's doing with Jon and he doesn't understand what appealed to people about that character. He's still trying to sell the whole trapped in a ring of fire for five years as a positive thing and he keeps trying to say he's not touching Super Sons, when clearly his run has had a huge effect on Super Sons. I mean, of course, he's going to talk positive about his run, but it keeps me very little hope for how he's going to continue writing the character moving forward.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I listened to the Jon Kent portions of the interview and it really does seem to solidify my belief that Bendis really doesn't understand why he's doing with Jon and he doesn't understand what appealed to people about that character. He's still trying to sell the whole trapped in a ring of fire for five years as a positive thing and he keeps trying to say he's not touching Super Sons, when clearly his run has had a huge effect on Super Sons. I mean, of course, he's going to talk positive about his run, but it keeps me very little hope for how he's going to continue writing the character moving forward.
    I’m not trying to come off as hostile with my reply, but what did you expect him to say? “I know I wrote Jon terribly, I agree everyone should boycott my books”

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It’s the same song and dance every time with you Sam.

“Why doesn’t Bendis apologize? Why does he keep acting like this is a good thing? Doesn’t he get that I and many others don’t like this?”

Yes he knows people don’t like it. No he’s not going to apologize for it. Yes he does in fact think it’s a good idea, otherwise why would he have done it? After Bendis has left the book years down the line he may look back and say that was a mistake. He has said that looking back he feels bad about some of his Avengers choices, but he never apologized for any decision he made while on the Avengers book, because writers aren’t going to say their work sucks while they’re still writing the book. This is standard fare for every writer on an ongoing. He’s never ever going to say aging up Jon was a bad idea while he’s still on the book, so stop waiting for him to do so.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-25-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

May I humbly suggest that maybe, just maybe, an older Jon in a Legion book could make him more tolerable, or even likable at last to those who haven't stood him up to now?
    I mean, he's not a universally liked character no matter how vocal his supporters are.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    May I humbly suggest that maybe, just maybe, an older Jon in a Legion book could make him more tolerable, or even likable at last to those who haven't stood him up to now?
    I mean, he's not a universally liked character no matter how vocal his supporters are.
    What about the people that liked him before and now, Can't find anything to like anymore? Isn't that counterproductive?
    Dude, superman himself is not a universally liked character. There are always going to be people that hate certain things. Doesn't mean you tear down that thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What about the people that liked him before and now, Can't find anything to like anymore? Isn't that counterproductive?
    I am just arguing that this move isn't necessarily the complete ruin some people - in the over-the-top tones which always accompany every Bendis-focused thread - describe it to be. On the contrary, it could also be a good thing.

There will be always things some people like and things some people don't like. If you don't like an older Jon in the Legion just don't read it.

You can't make everyone happy all the time. There have been people who didn't like the Rockwell-like Superfamily of Rebirth and stopped reading it. No drama. People with more patience than me have perfectly summarized in these threads why Jon isn't as popular as some people describe him to be and why tinkering with him is not the worst thing ever happened to comic books.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

No drama? Always drama. And always someone wanting a creator to apologize for their work. Here and there I think Bendis just might because he comes off as extremely grateful. But for all you love, do NOT approach an old school dude like Neal Adams with that mentality, lol.

I haven't seen much in the way of collaboration with Tomasi but there's no reason people can't vote for the current Supersons with their wallets and pick up another year long SS saga if it comes around. By then we should have a better stride for older Jon.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    No drama? Always drama. .
    You're right. Let me correct myself.
    It shouldn't be such a huge drama.