Page 558 of 613 FirstFirst ... 58458508548554555556557558559560561562568608 ... LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis shared art from the house of kent on his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B-f1nm_pLeJ/?hl=en

Interestingly, in the comments he revealed he has already written superman longer than he was originally going to be on the title. Wonder when his run was originally going to end..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis shared art from the house of kent on his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/B-f1nm_pLeJ/?hl=en

Interestingly, in the comments he revealed he has already written superman longer than he was originally going to be on the title. Wonder when his run was originally going to end..
    Maybe originally he was going to leave the book when Jon took over as 5G Superman? Bendis writes months ahead issue-wise and Tynion has said he’s already planning what he’ll be doing with Batman in 2021. Perhaps Bendis is likewise planning on staying into 2021? It’s surprising that he’s still writing both Superman books though, I would’ve figured he’d give one up by now.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

Kents alive, bruh .

For Romita, this doesn't look really bad. But now the Kents have to deal with a Jon who has skipped ages again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe originally he was going to leave the book when Jon took over as 5G Superman? Bendis writes months ahead issue-wise and Tynion has said he’s already planning what he’ll be doing with Batman in 2021. Perhaps Bendis is likewise planning on staying into 2021? It’s surprising that he’s still writing both Superman books though, I would’ve figured he’d give one up by now.
    I was for sure betting he'd write Jon as 5G Superman.

I guess this gives Bendis more time to let his new status quo stick.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Worth a mention that Jon's now wearing his Sook designed Legion outfit there. I was wondering when that was going to show up.

Guessing this takes place after Jon gets settled in at Legion HQ, gets his room (that apparently has a slight Kryotonian theme to it), and is ready get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was for sure betting he'd write Jon as 5G Superman.
    I'm fairly sure that he is given the fact that he's done nothing but groom Jon for the role, and Legion, his dream project, is the incubator for it, and he's one of the writers for the Generation books (most likely Generation 5). Guessing he was playing a little coy with that line answer there. As Vordan pointed out, Bendis works pretty far ahead usually, and scripts are apparently written and drawn for some 5G stuff (now being redrawn), so technically he'd be done with "Superman" (as Superman as we know it aka Clark) by now, but this seems to confirm the extension before 5G.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

At this point I don't think making Ultra Boy the 31st-century Superman would really have much impact (to me it would just be random), but it could work in the context of Bendis' Legion. I'd personally prefer it as a thematic thing, although then I wonder what Mon-El's there for.
    I've got a theory that a long time Legion fan like yourself may resist, but seems to be somewhat implied by the book. I think Mon-El is Jon's direct descendant, and I think picking Jo over Mon as the 31st century's Superman would not only scratch the itch of injecting a bit of color (I noticed that in issue 3 Mon-El *seemed* to imply that he looked like Superman) into the direct legacy, but it would also present it as a legacy that isn't 100% beholden to a line of succession like Jon's existence implies (with Jon, the successor, being the one to appoint it). You can't quite do the "anyone can wear the mask" sentiment with Superman for some pretty obvious reasons, but this would be just about the closest thing not predicated on cloning, tech substitutes, or stealing Superman's powers.

Once again, all strange theories that are proven by nothing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Something I would have loved 2 years ago seems so tainted now.... I'm really bored with this run I want it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    ...I'm really bored with this run I want it done.
    Same here, I couldn't possibly agree more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I've got a theory that a long time Legion fan like yourself may resist, but seems to be somewhat implied by the book. I think Mon-El is Jon's direct descendant, and I think picking Jo over Mon as the 31st century's Superman would not only scratch the itch of injecting a bit of color (I noticed that in issue 3 Mon-El *seemed* to imply that he looked like Superman) into the direct legacy, but it would also present it as a legacy that isn't 100% beholden to a line of succession like Jon's existence implies (with Jon, the successor, being the one to appoint it). You can't quite do the "anyone can wear the mask" sentiment with Superman for some pretty obvious reasons, but this would be just about the closest thing not predicated on cloning, tech substitutes, or stealing Superman's powers.

Once again, all strange theories that are proven by nothing.
    Yeah, I mean Bendis is free to do what he wants with his Legion at this point, I just don't see what it would really accomplish or mean at this point to make Jo the 31st Century Superman. I know Bendis helped make "anyone can wear the mask" a thing for Spider-Man but it's not something I see as necessary here.
    For a Romita image this doesn't look half bad, although he makes everybody except the Kents look older.

I know Bendis helped make "anyone can wear the mask" a thing for Spider-Man but it's not something I see as necessary here.
    I see what you mean, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. The talks for a person of color playing Superman on film have trended, and WB has reported taken notice. But Superman is also an IP that basically everyone feels some form of ownership over and intimidate familiarity with. setting up a modern updated but still relatively traditional Superman in the present, and then a future forward Superman of color in the 31st century is having your cake and eating it.

And it's no secret that Bendis' Legion is aiming to emulate a similar energy to the young adults and kids of today, and *generally speaking* those are the groups who would appreciate that "anyone can wear the mask" mentality applied to even the grandest of superhero icons.

Plus, and most importantly to AT&T/WB/DC, this lends itself very well to adaptation

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So, wait a minute. Was that the old look or the new look?
    Edit-this is the new look. wasn't there supposed to be two shades of blue? Two shades of blue works. I still hate the line.For the people that wanted future trunks like hairstyle for jon. You guys got it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-03-2020 at 10:03 PM.

I see what you mean, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. The talks for a person of color playing Superman on film have trended, and WB has reported taken notice. But Superman is also an IP that basically everyone feels some form of ownership over and intimidate familiarity with. setting up a modern updated but still relatively traditional Superman in the present, and then a future forward Superman of color in the 31st century is having your cake and eating it.

And it's no secret that Bendis' Legion is aiming to emulate a similar energy to the young adults and kids of today, and *generally speaking* those are the groups who would appreciate that "anyone can wear the mask" mentality applied to even the grandest of superhero icons.

Plus, and most importantly to AT&T/WB/DC, this lends itself very well to adaptation
    Oh, I understand the talks about a POC playing Superman and the importance of diversity, I just think with already established POC Superman's (Val-Zod, Kenan) I don't see the need to try and shove Ultra Boy into that running. Especially when there's...y'know, Mon-El .

I think the Legion would be more embracing of individuality and uniqueness rather then re-using an established (and reverential) codename. It's not the kind of property where I see an "anyone can wear the mask" perspective really having much of an impact compared to other franchises.

I'd be interested to see if the next Legion adaption doesn't use a premise of a Superfamily member or a young Superman going back to the future with them. Do they need a Superman that's not from the past and isn't basically Mon-El? How it compares/contrasts with the last Legion cartoon. I guess I'm curious how Young Justice will handle the team if they can fit them in with their 65+ characters and plotlines.

Oh, I understand the talks about a POC playing Superman and the importance of diversity, I just think with already established POC Superman's (Val-Zod, Kenan) I don't see the need to try and shove Ultra Boy into that running. Especially when there's...y'know, Mon-El .
    In my opinion, yeah, you could've gone either way. Both are very similar to Superman/Superboy. I could totally see a situation where new version of Mon-El (who was a person of color) got the role, yeah. But I think the important bit of difference is just how different Ultra Boy is from Superman/Superboy. Ultraboy has no link to Krypton, the yellow sun, or a weakness to a compound or substance, and his powers, while being similar, are functionally different with a built-in sense of stakes to them. Because of that I feel like Ultraboy is the smarter and more interesting choice if this is your goal.

I think the Legion would be more embracing of individuality and uniqueness rather then re-using an established (and reverential) codename. It's not the kind of property where I see an "anyone can wear the mask" perspective really having much of an impact compared to other franchises.
    But it's also the kind of franchise that's unfortunately been dormant for years, and not at all on the general public's radar when not involving someone with the word Super in their name for long (that's the just the facts of how WB/DC like to use them 90% of the time). Simply graduating one of the (to outside looking in) Superman/Superboy clones/variations on the team to an actual Superman in the 31st century gives you that connection while not being totally beholden to a Superman or Superman character with their own franchise to return to. It's a functionality thing imo.

My opinion regarding a POC "Superman" -

If they want a POC Superman type they should use a version of Val. There is no need to reinvent the wheel with a brand new character when they already have underused characters who call fill that void. As a bonus with Val, they could even recreate a version of his semi-iconic love story with Power Girl (Kara or rather Karen in this universe), heck it isn't like they are doing anything else with her.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-04-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultraboy is not a new character. He's been around since 1962 (first appearing in Superboy issue #98 as a counterpart to Superboy).