Page 218 of 613 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 9194

I don't see Zaar recruiting Jax-Ur as a contradiction. His current mission as he's appointed unto himself is to destroy Earth. He needs some help with that so recruits what is there. We've yet to see him portrayed in a way that would suggest he would never subscribe to an "means to an end" mindset when necessary. The first recruit he found was Jax-Ur. Beggars can't be choosers. Him becoming buddies with Jax after the siege, okay that would need explaining. But who's to say Rogol's plan isn't just to use Jax-Ur, complete his task and then kill him too when no longer needed?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't see Zaar recruiting Jax-Ur as a contradiction. His current mission as he's appointed unto himself is to destroy Earth. He needs some help with that so recruits what is there. We've yet to see him portrayed in a way that would suggest he would never subscribe to an "means to an end" mindset when necessary. The first recruit he found was Jax-Ur. Beggars can't be choosers. Him becoming buddies with Jax after the siege, okay that would need explaining. But who's to say Rogol's plan isn't just to use Jax-Ur, complete his task and then kill him too when no longer needed?
    It's not really any different that Autobots and Decepticons working together to fight Unicron.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    One example is Rogol Zaar hating Kryptonians for some reason in Man of Steel but in Superman#3 Rogol is suddenly willing to work with Jax-Ur.
    Zaar has proven to be both patient and even calculating when it comes to getting what he wants. In Man of Steel Bendis has Wonder Woman specifically call it "fighting without ego." It's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd work with a kryptonian to achieve a more immediately pressing goal before going back to kill them later or leave them trapped in the Zone. We even see that he has a specific hate for Kal as Jor-El's son, so much so that he deliberately tosses Kara aside for later. He's not a snarling beast and the text supports this.

Another example would be his portrayal of Oz/Jor-El as being more disdainful of Earth's cultural effect on his son and Jon when at the end of Oz Effect his personality was altered by the staff mind controlling him.
    It's not characterized as disdain (this is also not a contradiction of Bendis work with his own, thus not answering my question, but that's fine). It's characterized more as condescension. In reality, we don't know what Jor-El's personality was post-all of his trauma under either Tomasi or Jurgens' pens. We know him before hand and during. Bendis is logically free to say that even though the effects of the staff are gone, he still went through what he went through (the the mental abuse), so that could leave something to very much be explored. Again, Tomasi and Jurgens never firmly establish an after. Anyways, Bendis' Jor-El seems to very much care for what happens to Earth and his son's family. He talks down to Kal about how little he's been doing for Earth vs what he logically could do. If his feelings were disdainful then he wouldn't care at all.

It's glaring inconsistencies like that which prevent me from enjoying Bendis' writing at all. And he's going to be writing my favourite character for at least another year, maybe two.
    If those are your "glaring inconsistencies" then I'd call it more of a taste issue, and that's perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-19-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    One example is Rogol Zaar hating Kryptonians for some reason in Man of Steel but in Superman#3 Rogol is suddenly willing to work with Jax-Ur. And it's not because Jax is a criminal on Krypton because Rogol calls Zod the worst criminal over Jax and he's going to fight Zod in the next couple issues. Another example would be his portrayal of Oz/Jor-El as being more disdainful of Earth's cultural effect on his son and Jon when at the end of Oz Effect his personality was altered by the staff mind controlling him. It's glaring inconsistencies like that which prevent me from enjoying Bendis' writing at all. And he's going to be writing my favourite character for at least another year, maybe two.
    The first can be easily understood as Rogal using Jax to get what he wants. I’m certain he plans to betray Jax. If he actually helped Jax escape the PZ then maybe you would have a point. The latter is more uncertain because we don’t know what happened to Jor after he vanished. We’ll have to wait and see. And I could see his ruthlessness being a result of mind control while his disdain for Earth being something he honestly believes. He might not hate humanity but if I was a Kryptonian I’d be pretty unimpressed by Earth conditions. It would be like moving from a First World country to a Third World country, there’s a technological and social gap, as well as an arrogance issue of First Worlders.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-19-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The first can be easily understood as Rogal using Jax to get what he wants. I’m certain he plans to betray Jax. If he actually helped Jax escape the PZ then maybe you would have a point. The latter is more uncertain because we don’t know what happened to Jor after he vanished. We’ll have to wait and see. And I could see his ruthlessness being a result of mind control while his disdain for Earth being something he honestly believes. He might not hate humanity but if I was a Kryptonian I’d be pretty unimpressed by Earth conditions. It would be like moving from a First World country to a Third World country, there’s a technological and social gap, as well as an arrogance issue of First Worlders.
    I don't think Jor-El's views on Earth will be explored within Bendis' first year on the Superman books. I think Bendis would work best if he kept his ideas confined to Superman and Action Comics. If he ends up working on other books, like any major DC event, his creative focus would diminish, he'd have trouble keeping up with the schedule and the quality of the books would suffer. I don't want DC to suffer the same kind of disaster Marvel went through the Civil War books.

BANNED

Some more easter eggs from AC#1003's newsdesk

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...for-dc-comics/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This is random, but a random Amethyst fan on twitter tweeted about being worried for spoilers:
    tim drake and wally west
    end of spoilers this week. She mentioned in the tweet she wished DC brought back Amethyst to make up for this. I'm only posting this because Bendis liked the tweet for some reason. I wonder if he'll be writing the character?

https://twitter.com/TalkingAmethyst/...97976477347842

Person on Twitter: Will Gleason return to the title?

Bendis: you'll find out next Saturday in NYCC 5:15-6:15pm PANEL DC Spotlight on Brian Michael Bendis (Room 1A21) #tease

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...62703300571136

Potentally a lot of stuff to look forward to regarding Bendis at DC coming up at NYCC. Very likely the the announcement of the imprint, what he and Gleason are working on, and possibly the Alex Maleev/Leviathan Superman/Daily Planet event book. So, keep your head on the swivel for NYCC.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ok so can someone explain when Phantom Zone inmates became able to interact physically with each other?

I thought they all were incorporeal.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ever since Mongul broke his son's back in the phantom zone after Superman sucked all of War World into it--likely far sooner, actually. The modern Phantom Zone's rules are fast and lose. This is not inherent to one writer or another.

Even in Pre-Crisis, they could interact with one another, they just couldn't hurt each other.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Really enjoyed this interview and I hope they do more like it. Their conversation felt very natural. Bendis did one with Snyder in DC Nation a while back, so I'm starting to think maybe he just has a knack for getting others talking. I have been very critical of Tom King of late, but frankly it's refreshing to hear him discuss moving on to different concepts with his writing. He's had moments where I've loved his work, but most of what he turns in right now is frustrating me.

Bendis continues to sound like a great choice to lead the Superman line and I'm really jonesing for Action 1003 tomorrow.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Really enjoyed this interview and I hope they do more like it. Their conversation felt very natural. Bendis did one with Snyder in DC Nation a while back, so I'm starting to think maybe he just has a knack for getting others talking. I have been very critical of Tom King of late, but frankly it's refreshing to hear him discuss moving on to different concepts with his writing. He's had moments where I've loved his work, but most of what he turns in right now is frustrating me.

Bendis continues to sound like a great choice to lead the Superman line and I'm really jonesing for Action 1003 tomorrow.
    I'm loving what Bendis is doing so far. His run is a breath of fresh air after two years of reading the adventures of Jon feat. Superdad.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

So much better of an interview than when they just ask, "how big are your plans for Lois?" or, "when will Zod show up next?" The guy is so deeply associated with modern Marvel, but you can see the DC fan in general and Superman fan in particular. Love the way he steers toward his insight into the character.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Even in Pre-Crisis, they could interact with one another, they just couldn't hurt each other.
    It's been all over. This current depiction is just about a break from all but the very basic idea of a prison dimension, I think.