Page 461 of 613 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,915 of 9194
    Mighty Member

I don't think the Parkland comparison works, frankly. The Parkland kids are doing some wonderful work, but everything they are asking for is stuff that others have been advocating for years. They put a face on an already existing issue. This happens because Jon goes "Why not?" seemingly on a whim.

What would be a much better story is have Jon (ideally as a kid) confront issue that humanity is actually dealing with like gun control and discovering the difference between saving people from killer robots and working to make a difference in one's community, as well as the frustrations that can sometimes cause. That's something everyone encounters as they grow older. The reality of how hard it can be to make a difference. Not this nonsense.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I don't think the Parkland comparison works, frankly. The Parkland kids are doing some wonderful work, but everything they are asking for is stuff that others have been advocating for years. They put a face on an already existing issue. This happens because Jon goes "Why not?" seemingly on a whim.
    To be clear, it would never be a direct comparison that's 1 to 1. The general spirit of young people not just being heard on a large scale but also bringing out real change that'll ensure the safety of future generations who won't have to grown up in the same sort of messed up world is there I feel.

While not very well chronicled, Jon has spent time in space directly and specifically tackling intergalactic issues born from broken peace and "a lot of people talking but no one listening." The idea seems to be that Jon came at this with a new and fresh perspective that, while simple, couldn't even be considered by those already in the mix. Only getting the notes from his time in space now become weaker and more problematic unfortunately.

But I think the idea and comparison remain sound because no matter what the main idea is youth coming to the main stage of the world (galaxy in this case) putting down a case for their future and the future of those after them.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be clear, it would never be a direct comparison that's 1 to 1. The general spirit of young people not just being heard on a large scale but also bringing out real change that'll ensure the safety of future generations who won't have to grown up in the same sort of messed up world is there I feel.

While not very well chronicled, Jon has spent time in space directly and specifically tackling intergalactic issues born from broken peace and "a lot of people talking but no one listening." The idea seems to be that Jon came at this with a new and fresh perspective that, while simple, couldn't even be considered by those already in the mix. Only getting the notes from his time in space now become weaker and more problematic unfortunately.

But I think the idea and comparison remain sound because no matter what the main idea is youth coming to the main stage of the world (galaxy in this case) putting down a case for their future and the future of those after them.
    You can't base character growth and development on things we didn't see. That's bad storytelling. It's like Bendis just wanted to hit fast forward on Jon's character and that's one of the things that is so frustrating about the age up and Bendis's handling of the character.
    Currently Reading:

You can't base character growth and development on things we didn't see.
    Well, yes, that's why I specifically said that the aforementioned section of the story becomes even weaker and more problematic than it already was. It's really, really unfortunate.

There really should've been a mini or maxi series running during these past 14 issues of Superman (or at least the 6 issues before Jon's return).

But I say that as strictly an armchair comic book creator/editor who has no way of seeing all of the variables, so grain of salt. I'll just take the L on that aspect of the story.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well, yes, that's why I specifically said that the aforementioned section of the story becomes even weaker and more problematic than it already was. It's really, really unfortunate.

There really should've been a mini or maxi series running during these past 14 issues of Superman (or at least the 6 issues before Jon's return).

But I say that as strictly an armchair comic book creator/editor who has no way of seeing all of the variables, so grain of salt. I'll just take the L on that aspect of the story.
    I definitely see what you're saying there. Of course, Bendis's stuff so far has given me no faith in his ability to write Jon, so I'm not sure an extra six issues would have made a difference.

I'm still enjoying Action, but, geez, is Superman getting worse and worse.
    Currently Reading:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    People let's address the real issue at hand the scar has to go!! It keeps getting bigger!! And it still has yet to be explained why it's there!!! Does it bother no one else but me!?!?!
    I think the costume change will be the end of the dreaded scar.

I'm a casual comic reader that hasn't read much since Rebirth. I have a few questions. The Super Family focus of the Rebirth era of Superman seems to have quickly become one of the most beloved runs/iterations of Superman and some of his supporting cast. It seemed critically acclaimed and to sell well. Why did DC decide to embrace Bendis' vision for Superman in replace of it? And what do you think of Bendis' vision of Superman so far?

(and I'm not a Bendis hater, my icon is from when he was writing Cyclops and I largely enjoyed that)

No one can really answer that 100%, but at least in regards to sales, it wasn't doing anything spectacular beyond the norm for Superman. It burst out of the gate as a new initiative as those were wont to do, and then steadied into a place where Superman titles generally live. So just in terms of sales, there was no sustained boost that would've made moving to something different--regardless if that pitch was Bendis's or someone else's--that much of a head-scratcher. Another factor could have had to do with banking a lot on the Bendis name via his history at Marvel. They were a little late to the ship on that one but nonetheless that was probably part of the reason too. Other internal reasons though, anyone can guess.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    I'm a casual comic reader that hasn't read much since Rebirth. I have a few questions. The Super Family focus of the Rebirth era of Superman seems to have quickly become one of the most beloved runs/iterations of Superman and some of his supporting cast. It seemed critically acclaimed and to sell well. Why did DC decide to embrace Bendis' vision for Superman in replace of it? And what do you think of Bendis' vision of Superman so far?

(and I'm not a Bendis hater, my icon is from when he was writing Cyclops and I largely enjoyed that)
    Wait, i haven't read much bendis before. But, was bendis responsible for "cyclops was right" thing? I have read some of it. I didn't know it was bendis who wrote that. That was pretty cool.

I'm not sure what's the fuss with this is? Superman has never been the one to establish United Planets.
    Do people even know Legion history for this outrage?

I definitely see what you're saying there. Of course, Bendis's stuff so far has given me no faith in his ability to write Jon, so I'm not sure an extra six issues would have made a difference.
    I hear you, and nothing's really certain of course. But at the very least I'd hope that more space would've afforded a clearer build to this moment. I'd have like to see a 6 to 12 issue classic hero's journey.

And what continues to frustrate me is that, structurally speaking, Jon's story from Man of Steel issue 1 to issue 14 of Superman is very much implied to be a hero's journey in the most classic sense even down to coming back to his home/where he started with new knowledge and perspective. It's just frustratingly truncated.

Again, armchair comic book creator/editor on my part.

From what i gather Rebirth was geoff johns initiative. It was an anti reboot narrative. It focused more on the hopeful and good, fast story telling. The books would come out regularly and on a bi weekly basis,which was breath of fresh air. He didn't give rely on gimmicks and negative talk to sell a book.But, he is not in charge now.his book doomsday clock delayed to oblivion. Some say it is because things have to be rewritten to fit the current continuity.

Didio on the other hand rely's solely on gimmicks, negative publicity... Etc. He doesn't get superman and hates the titans. So, he might have thought bendis coming over would be a gimmick that can help sell a few extra comics. Even though it might cause fans to be pissed in the long run adversely effect sales . You see didio likes to take parts of character's history and giving it to others. Another example will be barry-wally situation. He is also a big fan of reboots, unnecessary moping, drama and grittieness. So, rebirth died and dc fell back to its routine of nonsensical storytelling.

That is why jon's previous costume which was the best is thrown away for new52-esque redesigns which doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Sales started strong but by the time Bendis was due to come on board had declined back to pre-Rebirth levels which is standard. What might have made DC more open for a change was how apparently the Rebirth trades sold worse than the New 52 trades, and I don’t have any answers for why that might be so. DC might also have still thought Bendis was a superstar writer, either ignoring or not knowing that his sales power has declined drastically over the years. Finally Bendis asked for Superman, so maybe they simply gave him what he wanted to get him to join up. There was a shake-up coming either way, the Kents were going to be returning to Metropolis under Tomasi and Jurgens, so the Rebirth status quo was going to be altered. Bendis claimed that Lois was going to be put on a bus for a while and honestly I could see that happening. Tomasi was focused more on the Clark-Jon relationship (he likes father-son stories), and Jurgens was focused more on retelling his 90s stories with characters like Booster, Henshaw, etc.

Spectacular Member

I don't know why the DC brass went along with this, it's been an absolute disaster. The trunks, aging Jon to 17, ruining their marriage, a horror show. Be glad when Bendis run os over.

What is this 'Parkland kids' comparison? Sorry, i haven't gone back to previous previous pages to understand it. If i wasn't enjoying Bendis' work i might have dropped Superman just after seeing the preview. I haven't been as disappointed, since i started reading Superman when Rebirth started. The only thing which keeps my interest is Superman's adventures can be different as he tries to forge the alliance.

There are ways around this. In the future, LoS say to Jon that they overplayed his role because they wanted him for something.