Page 64 of 613 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164564 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Um why is he joining the JL before he was born? and I give this origin 4 years before another overrated hotshot like Bendis comes and undoes it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If that is a joke, then I think it's a good one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    What also strikes me looking at those covers is that if this is indeed an origin retelling in practice, this will be the first one to include his death and his marriage to Lois as parts of his origin. Of course there have been recaps and flashbacks before, but this is the first time those events are established within the body of an origin story.

Good point. The good thing about Jon being around is that he gets the marriage cemented in an origin, while putting the death of Superman in the origin creates another easy reference point going forward. With Birthright and Secret Origins, they had him go through a basic origin story that left it to the regular comics to explain everything else, like those two events. Morrison's origin was the product of a completely new continuity, but even then he tried a "tell but not show" shoehorn in a death of Superman for some reason.

I will say this: if the changes are more significant than I'm imagining, I'm not turning back on my opinion that its terrible management by DC. I made this argument with Doomsday Clock back when there was the potential of it changing things, the argument being that more changes so soon after Superman Reborn was shoddy storytelling. Even though with this, I think the chances are that I'll like certain changes on a personal level, it still is entirely messy to do this barely a year after big changes already happened.

But at this point its either take it or leave it. This is what they do with Superman and its just a trend that's not going to end. I'm done hoping DC will ever get it steady. All the things I'm hearing right now, personally I'm probably going to enjoy this, but that's mostly because I disliked the last era so much. But I'm not going to allow myself to get too used to it because its going to change in a few years. That's just how this DC operates with Superman and its never going to change outside of a wholesale change of hierarchy within the company.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But at this point its either take it or leave it. This is what they do with Superman and its just a trend that's not going to end. I'm done hoping DC will ever get it steady. All the things I'm hearing right now, personally I'm probably going to enjoy this, but that's mostly because I disliked the last era so much. But I'm not going to allow myself to get too used to it because its going to change in a few years. That's just how this DC operates with Superman and its never going to change outside of a wholesale change of hierarchy within the company.
    I agree, it can be frustrating as a Super-fan to know there's a blinking red reset button that they push at the top of seemingly every year now...it's this attempt to treat comics like a new "season" of a tv show that led to Marvel's routine relaunch headaches. DC have done so well with most of their titles, but Superman is the one they find the most difficult to adapt to the current climate.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    That Man of Steel logo is identical to the one on Byrne's MOS in 1986. DC is really sending a message of this being a similar turning point.
    Everything about this says new origin.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

manofstee.jpg

Page from MOS #1 by Ivan Reis, Superman wearing his new outfit, so we'll definitely get scenes in the present throughout the mini.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgMemKen...en-by=dccomics

Amazing Member

Superman is so dedicated to superheroics that he has begun sleep-saving citizens

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    manofstee.jpg

Page from MOS #1 by Ivan Reis, Superman wearing his new outfit, so we'll definitely get scenes in the present throughout the mini.

I gotta say...Even if Bendis fracks up the writing, this era of stories are gonna be pretty to look at. Chuck Austin's ACTION COMICS in 2004 was largely crap, but I still pull those issues out from time to time to look at Ivan Reis' art. He always draws a damn fine Superman
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    manofstee.jpg

Thank you.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    Superman is so dedicated to superheroics that he has begun sleep-saving citizens
    He's super meditating. He's sending a projection of himself in the other two panels. He got the idea after watching THE LAST JEDI. He figures that if Luke Skywalker can do it.....
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I actually think that would be a pretty damn cool new power. Way better than the flare, at least. Its not too OP because it has its drawbacks, mainly he has to be physically undisturbed while doing it, and then maybe say the projections can perform only a fraction of his true power or something...
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I actually think that would be a pretty damn cool new power. Way better than the flare, at least. Its not too OP because it has its drawbacks, mainly he has to be physically undisturbed while doing it, and then maybe say the projections can perform only a fraction of his true power or something...
    haha I was just thinking the same thing.

BANNED

That's Powers of Mathew Star stuff you guys are talking about lol.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I've always thought Reis was never used to his full potential on the occasions he worked with Superman, but this seems like a substantial step up - that 'fading into hyperspeed' effect in the last few panels is killer. And I love the trees on the rooftops; it'd be appropriate if Superman's city incorporated a bit of solarpunk aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    I would actually really dig that. If this is going to be setting up changes in his personality/approach, feeling like he's not doing enough to the point of still going in his sleep would be a good way to kick it off.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Over ten years ago Reis was quite good but yeah, since at least the beginning of the New 52, he's been something else. That page has it all.