Page 483 of 613 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493533583 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,245 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I wonder if this is going to work into the further reorganization of the publishing line/channels. With each "Generation" effectively getting its own imprint? Didio said we haven't seen the stories from the first and second generations, hinting that they're be some backfill of all this at some point.

We have "Gen 4" as a tighter core publishing line through the normal channels, that's the monthly flopies. Gen's 1-2 tales getting something akin to the Ink/Zoom line - "Classic" takes set in a closed loop continuity for a bookstore market. And a Wonder Comics like "Gen 5" imprint that's all the Next Generation of heroes letting them go wild with stories.
    This sounds super cool, and pretty much what I'm guessing it will be (if anything at all). But, I'd be lying if I said I could completely wrap my head around how they'd rationalize this to a perspective buyer.

But the idea of a young Clark Kent in the 40s watching the exploits of Wonder Woman and the JSA while he secretly helps his town as "Superboy" in one timeline, and then a grown up Jon Kent taking over the throne as Superman in another timeline sounds like a lot of fun.

That may be part of why DC allowed Bendis to nail the main timeline down? Basically lets them say "that stuff is over there." I dunno.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So I just remembered someone at DC(or maybe this was just a bleeding cool rumor) that said the reason DC was making the timeline was so they could tell stories in different eras, if that's the case, it makes sense why they'd risk doing this legacy 5G event. They know they'll have books featuring the original characters on the stand at the same time. That way everyone is happy.
    But then we get into the question of whether Gen 5 is the exact set future for the "current" books...and whether they sell well enough or not to eclipse the standard series.

I guess it's a potential risk for potential reward but I'm not sure if I see DC doing that.

"Classic" takes set in a closed loop continuity for a bookstore market.
    I wouldn't mind it, but how long do you think it would last before they wanted to do something "exciting" that actually changed things? I don't think the different line would be able to form a coherent and consistent continuity. But then, the same could be said for what we have today, I guess.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So I just remembered someone at DC(or maybe this was just a bleeding cool rumor) that said the reason DC was making the timeline was so they could tell stories in different eras, if that's the case, it makes sense why they'd risk doing this legacy 5G event. They know they'll have books featuring the original characters on the stand at the same time. That way everyone is happy.
    Here's the thing.

No matter how much DC tries to sell me that G5 is the future and very important, we all know the period with Clark, Bruce and Diana is the one that will drive the universe. It's the important one. Everything will hinge on that.

Much like how Batman Beyond has its future with all sorts of neat stories, the minute someone wants to change something that ruins that plot, nobody in editorial is saying "but over in Neo Gotham, Alfred is alive!" They'll just make the future book/line adapt and deal with it until five years from now, DC wants to do something else and G5 is just another in a long line of possible futures that are totes reals, ya'll. People coming from other mediums to read Batman stories aren't coming to read a costume, they're coming to read Bruce/Alfred/Gordon/Batman's Rogues and so on. Some may come for the change, but for the most part, I think this only interests the same readers who have been cycling between books the last thirty years.

This sort of thing is toxic to new readers who see adaptions and want more of what they saw. Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't have a business degree or inside knowledge, but the appeal to me was always the depth of character and history, not the costume. For most new readers, it would be one thing if it's just a new person under the mask, but if the entire universe is going forward... I don't know. I try not to be an old man who doesn't like change (after all, my favorite Flash is Wally, so the "iconic" argument arguably doesn't work in his favor), but this just seems like a status quo that will not do much after a couple years at best and then we're stuck with EVEN MORE legacy/sidekick characters we don't know what to do with. This is what bloated the Green Lantern roster. Nobody can decide on a Superboy, we have too many Bats and the Flash family can fill a stadium itself these days. This just looks like headaches to come, but that's Didio's reign in a nutshell, isn't it? "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it, but for right now, more controversy!"
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Here's the thing.

No matter how much DC tries to sell me that G5 is the future and very important, we all know the period with Clark, Bruce and Diana is the one that will drive the universe. It's the important one. Everything will hinge on that.

Much like how Batman Beyond has its future with all sorts of neat stories, the minute someone wants to change something that ruins that plot, nobody in editorial is saying "but over in Neo Gotham, Alfred is alive!" They'll just make the future book/line adapt and deal with it until five years from now, DC wants to do something else and G5 is just another in a long line of possible futures that are totes reals, ya'll.
    An excellent summation of the situation, one to which I agree wholeheartedly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon is the only one shown to be in gen 5.Not even damian is there. I guess, they are planning to diversify the jl. They might even make jon homosexual or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its remarkable how much I don't care about any of this. Seriously, I've lived through this exact same premise at least 2-3 times, and have seen it happen with individual franchises more times than I can count.

If the books are good and don't spit on the IP's, I'll read them. Otherwise I'll drop them. But I can't say I have any excitement for this on any level. Can barely manage to work up the effort to be concerned, in fact.

I've enjoyed Bendis so far, for the most part. So if this happens....yeah, that tracks. DC will give me good Superman for a year or two, then pull the rug out and give us sh*t for 3-5 years. I suppose we're about due for another stint of crap.

However, I think I agree with those saying this is going to be more like an imprint than a major change to the regular books. We've seen this sorta thing fail before, and DCYOU wasn't that long ago. Granted, this industry recycles everything including the worst ideas so who knows? But I could see things like Jon as Superman falling into a "in the near future" timeframe with a few books set in the same era; more like an expansion of the Batman Beyond concept than a line-wide change.

We'll see what happens when it happens. Not like DC hasn't backpedaled in the past before the first issues dropped. But I'm definitely looking for a reason to put down this hobby and this might be my stepping off point. Time will tell.
    Send some of that apathy my way good sir, because this is pissing me off more than I feel it should and its not even confirmed yet (but I do believe it).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

The thing about trying to make everyone happy...
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They might even make jon homosexual or something.
    Well, I mean, it's not like he's ever had an established sexuality up to this point anyway, so...
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well, I mean, it's not like he's ever had an established sexuality up to this point anyway, so...
    I wouldn't have a problem with that.but,i want him run around as kid and i don't want pairing idiocy. I don't want him with a girl, either. If jon fans most of them didn't naked mom/son gag. I don't think they would go for this either. I mean, i hate jon being sexualized. He is little ball of sunshine. Why do stupid teen gags and teen drama stuff?

I wish they'd revert him to a kid so he and Damian could grow up together as friends, that's what I wish. I have no interest in possible Jon pairings at this point.

Eh I think he clearly had feelings for Kathy at least in Tomasi’s Superman run. Doesn’t stop him from being bi though. I am wondering how Bendis will handle 31st century sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Eh I think he clearly had feelings for Kathy at least in Tomasi’s Superman run. Doesn’t stop him from being bi though. I am wondering how Bendis will handle 31st century sexuality.
    I'm already anxious as to how he'll handle established Legion relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon is the only one shown to be in gen 5.Not even damian is there. I guess, they are planning to diversify the jl. They might even make jon homosexual or something.
    If you ask tumblr, he already was the very minute he became Damian's friend XD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    If you ask tumblr, he already was the very minute he became Damian's friend XD
    If you ask Tumblr every character is pansexual and always *ahem* in the mood.