Page 18 of 613 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    What if you just compare per issues averages at the month mark Rebirth has reached instead? Twice monthly shipping means Rebirth has hit the issue total a lot faster with the whole thing probably seeming fresher in the buying public's mind than the equivalent issue number for New52. Additionally, New52 books cost a dollar more.
    Twice monthly is good for DC. Instead of selling around 40k Superman issues they actually end up selling 80k. And sales are good. Who said they are not doing well. Your post suggests an excuse. Its going down slowly as any title does. But its doing pretty well. I keep a look at online sales. Superman books are doing really well there. Each week i see only Batman above Superman. The pattern is usually Batman or an Event like Metal. And a few others successes like Image's Walking Dead or Saga doing better. For past year the only time another title passed Superman or Action (while i was looking. And i look once almost every week) was the last Thor issue and one issue of Justice League when Priest took over. And the final issue of Super Sons crossover with Titans. Its always within top 5. Dropping to 6 or 7 once in a while.

But i agree that numbers are slowly coming down in the shops. But to call it not being a success would be reaching. Numbers are available. Its not as big as Batman. (To be fair nothing's as big as Batman). But its not doing worse then New 52 by any measurement. To say that you don't like it, is perfectly fine.

I am happy that Bendis will bring in a lot of interest. Hopefully he does good work. Or else those initial numbers can fall fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    And glad regardless for the heads he'll turn. Welcome!
    Yes i am happy that more people are coming. That's always good news. I keep an eye on number of people in this forum as well as others. (Yes i am that kind of a guy). I usually see close to 100 at the same time usually in DC, Marvel and X-Men. Rarely if ever in Superman which was yesterday. If nothing there would be more people to discuss Superman. That's good. Unless Bendis drives me away. lol
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-02-2018 at 12:37 AM.

BANNED

Well that's all & good but I really hope DC strictly keeps him on these 2 titles & not like 6 during his later Marvel days. I know he said he wants to do a Batman book to be on par with his Daredevil run but just hold off on that for a year or 2 to do that.

..... I'm concerned.... VERY concerned.... I know how bad Bendis has been recently, I've collected all of Civil War 2 and his Iron Man ....

I'm concerned as are people at r/DCcomics that we'll see:
    Lois and Clark getting divorced.
    Jon and Clark's sweet relationship degrading to Jon being angsty and angry.
    If we are really lucky, we might see Jon turn into a stoner who does drugs mixed with Kryptonite dust...

And then once we see all that we'll end up back with Superman having the Personality of 'an arrogant upstart youthful SJW prick who bangs a non-humanizing goddess' (as so accurately stated by someone else here) because Bendis will reinstate that while any other title will maintain the current status quo.

So I'm as optimistic as I can be given the circumstances of what I've seem from Bendis recently....
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-02-2018 at 03:47 AM.

BANNED

Lois & Clark are not going to get a divorce
    Superman and Wonder Woman are not going to be dating again
    Jon and Clark's relationship is not going to become tumultuous anymore than the usual child/parent disagreement phases in superhero stories (Don't expect anything like Black Dawn)
    Jon is not going to start doing drugs

What is actually likely to happen:

A more politically and socially conscientious Superman
    A greater focus on Lois Lane in Action Comics
    A greater focus on the Daily Planet in Action Comics
    Diversifying both books with the introduction of new characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Jon and Clark's relationship is not going to become tumultuous anymore than the usual child/parent disagreement phases in superhero stories (Don't expect anything like Black Dawn)

Wish I shared your optimism, because if this was the Brian Michael Bendis who wrote Alias, Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil like 10 years ago, I'd agree and give him support but it seems that guy died a few years ago, HOWEVER, if this is the Bendis who wrote Invincible Iron Man for the past couple of years and wrote Civil War 2, then my worst fears are all of the things I said and Superman being replaced by a Black Teenage Girl with very little development before Bendis stuffs her down our throats.

The Only thing keeping me from going 'This is a Terrible Idea' is that Scott Snyder is reading Bendis' scripts so that means - with luck- Snyder is giving him ideas of what to change in those scripts so that we dont get a radical reinvention of Superman ala New 52 or his world like Bendis did to Iron Man.
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-02-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Not a huge fan of Bendis, but willing to give this a shot. I could see him doing street level stories with the Daily Planet staff that could be compelling. I can also see him doing space based stories with Superman that are terrible. I'd rather he steer clear of stories involving Krypton or the more sci-fi based elements of Superman, since his efforts for Marvel with cosmic based stories seem to be his weakest story-telling moments.

Re: the introduction of new characters - I'd be more interested in seeing him develop the existing cast and make use of previously established supporting characters instead of creating new ones. There are some genuinely interesting characters and situations that were developed by prior creative teams (especially during the Triangle era) that have been completely neglected for a while now. I'd rather see their return than new characters being introduced simply because. Superman already has an extensive supporting cast. Adding to it - for whatever reason - is really unnecessary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Twice monthly is good for DC. Instead of selling around 40k Superman issues they actually end up selling 80k. And sales are good. Who said they are not doing well. Your post suggests an excuse. Its going down slowly as any title does. But its doing pretty well. I keep a look at online sales. Superman books are doing really well there. Each week i see only Batman above Superman. The pattern is usually Batman or an Event like Metal. And a few others successes like Image's Walking Dead or Saga doing better. For past year the only time another title passed Superman or Action (while i was looking. And i look once almost every week) was the last Thor issue and one issue of Justice League when Priest took over. And the final issue of Super Sons crossover with Titans. Its always within top 5. Dropping to 6 or 7 once in a while.

But i agree that numbers are slowly coming down in the shops. But to call it not being a success would be reaching. Numbers are available. Its not as big as Batman. (To be fair nothing's as big as Batman). But its not doing worse then New 52 by any measurement. To say that you don't like it, is perfectly fine.

I am happy that Bendis will bring in a lot of interest. Hopefully he does good work. Or else those initial numbers can fall fast.
    While the Rebirth sales figures are respectable, Superman is only doing half of what Batman gets. I'm sure DC wants him to be pulling the same (which he should be.) I don't mind if most titles revert back to being monthly again. Be easier on my wallet. Plus I am sure the twice monthly schedule is taxing for most writers and artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    Well that's all & good but I really hope DC strictly keeps him on these 2 titles & not like 6 during his later Marvel days. I know he said he wants to do a Batman book to be on par with his Daredevil run but just hold off on that for a year or 2 to do that.
    I wouldn't want him on Batman proper, but Detective Comics? He would write the shit out of that. Especially if it focuses on the procedural aspects. I also feel he could do a great Catwoman or Gotham Central book. But a real dark horse would be Green Arrow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    While the Rebirth sales figures are respectable, Superman is only doing half of what Batman gets. I'm sure DC wants him to be pulling the same (which he should be.) I don't mind if most titles revert back to being monthly again. Be easier on my wallet. Plus I am sure the twice monthly schedule is taxing for most writers and artists.
    Batman sales are an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Wish I shared your optimism, because if this was the Brian Michael Bendis who wrote Alias, Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil like 10 years ago, I'd agree and give him support but it seems that guy died a few years ago, HOWEVER, if this is the Bendis who wrote Invincible Iron Man for the past couple of years and wrote Civil War 2, then my worst fears are all of the things I said and Superman being replaced by a Black Teenage Girl with very little development before Bendis stuffs her down our throats.

The Only thing keeping me from going 'This is a Terrible Idea' is that Scott Snyder is reading Bendis' scripts so that means - with luck- Snyder is giving him ideas of what to change in those scripts so that we dont get a radical reinvention of Superman ala New 52 or his world like Bendis did to Iron Man.
    I am hoping that he brings that kind of magic which he had before. (Its not that i have read them but they get almost universal praise). In my opinion when a creator attaches to one property for too long he or she starts running out of creative juices. With nothing new to tell. A few posts ago i gave the example of Sam Raimi in Spider-man 3. I like it but its nowhere near the level of the first two films. I am hoping that a new toolbox reinvigorates him. What you say is possible. But what Dolores is suggesting might happen too. Time will tell. Till then i am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I liked the biweekly schedule. It was costly. But i was getting Superman each week. Its bad news from that side. On the good side it may have a consistent quality to it. Everyone can't keep up with the schedule. Jurgens was doing great in Action. But clearly Tomasi was struggling with it. That can be a plus. Online sales may come down. I was hearing some strong points about weekly schedule helping online sales. I can't remember them at the point.

But anyway my point was Superman is doing pretty good. Especially online. Arguably better then New 52, but definitely not worse then it in sales regardless of one's opinion of the books themselves. Batman is an unfair comparison. Few do as good as Batman. And no other title does good as Batman in DC. In DC Superman's books are in the second place after Batman. Its good that they are trying to push Superman. That is good news. Rebirth increased sales to better levels and brought back many fans who had left due to New 52. (Causing some New 52 fans to leave). Now there's a foundation. Build it up. I am not happy with Bendis words about status quo shift. Not overtly worried. But what Superman needs is some good stories from him. There's a spotlight on Superman. Bendis name will bring new fans while others will check out of interest. And who knows Superman may rise higher(in a consistent basis). It isn't going to reach Batman numbers. Batman is an anomaly. Acclaimed runs, successful films, etc have put Batman in a level no other character has right now.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-02-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

To me all of the above would be a win.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Who else gets the feeling that Jurgens and Tomasi were always intended as merely a stabilizing point and bridge to Bendis?

I get the impression from how fully formed this Bendis announcement was that this probably has been in the works for at least a year, if not more. Given Bendis' contract with Marvel they had to wait until it was close to expiration to announce this. Unlike a lot of what's gone down with Superman the last decade or so, this all seems to be already planned and worked out and not slap dashed together.

This is probably why there's been a feeling of a holding pattern in place with the books since REBORN. I think Tomasi and Jurgens job was two fold. One , to clean up the mess made by TRUTH and the post Doomed! New 52 Superman in general and stop the Free Fall of the readership and attempt to bring back some of us old fogies that had left, all to make Bendis' job easier and let him focus on building up .

Second, to firmly establish Jon as a pillar of the franchise going forward, so Bendis' ( or whomever else that was going to take over) didn't have to.

By the time we finished with REBORN, those objectives had been achieved, so thus the momentum of stories, particularly in SUPERMAN , slowed.

Keep in mind, a year or so ago Jon Bogdanove said on Facebook that he was hearing rumblings of a major push for Superman, including the return of the trunks and an overall attempt to give the character a big new start into his 80th year.a lot of people sort of dismissed it all as idle speculation, but apparently there was something going on for a long time behind the scenes.

Or, perhaps I'm reading too much into all of this and there's no master plan...
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yup. Pretty much this. And they'll no doubt be a lot more humor in the books. Say what you will about Bendis, but he is a funny writer.

That said, I never read Invincible Iron Man, Civil II, or much of his Guardians of the Galaxy, so maybe those are not his best work. I am, however, reading Miles Morales Spider Man stuff and it is fantastic, as was Infamous Iron Man.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-02-2018 at 07:02 AM.