Page 176 of 613 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hahaha, I honestly didn't make that correlation when I thought of it.
    It'd be a fun idea to see play out for sure.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Amen, Sacred. When every thread devolves into this type of stretch, it completely kills any fun there is in coming here. As Superlad below you said, it's toxic...toxic fandom is ruining everything these days, and I have no idea why so many have to twist & bend the truth to express their dislike for something & to get others to also dislike it. You see it everywhere...very sad. I used to read these boards every day, even if I didn't post a lot, but the toxicity has driven me away to only a couple days a week.
    Sadly, I have to agree also. I feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It'd be a fun idea to see play out for sure.
    I'd like it if the end result was finding out this wasn't really Jor-El, as I would never want him being so evil as to do that to his own grandson.

But these are the things I think of when I'm in the shower or fixing dinner and the like.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amen, Sacred. When every thread devolves into this type of stretch, it completely kills any fun there is in coming here. As Superlad below you said, it's toxic...toxic fandom is ruining everything these days, and I have no idea why so many have to twist & bend the truth to express their dislike for something & to get others to also dislike it. You see it everywhere...very sad. I used to read these boards every day, even if I didn't post a lot, but the toxicity has driven me away to only a couple days a week.
    Well said. It seems some people are there to spit on everything. I come here to celebrate what I love in comics, not to hate on writers/artists.

Mighty Member

I wonder if Bendis will do anything with Steel. Judging by his Marvel work, he seems to have a real interest in minorities. Maybe he'll establish the Super Family once again?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I don't deny that there is indeed "toxic fandom," but many of you seem to think that honest critical analysis of Bendis' work is the same thing. DiDio, Lee, and Bendis have made it quite clear that "massive changes" are coming to Superman and his universe. Bendis has already put these changes into motion and has demonstrated both a lack of understanding of certain characters (Barry Allen, Jon Kent) and a dismissal of elements that serve the character well (the current family situation). Bendis has never really worked on a character without making large-scale changes to that character and/or its particular universe. He started at Marvel with Ultimate Spider-Man, which was all about building a new continuity from nothing. His work on Daredevil was probably the most non-destructive in terms of making large changes so that he could "put his stamp" on the character. His deconstruction of the Avengers is the best example of what Bendis is about, and it's clear he's systematically doing the same to Superman.

I feel that many of you want to give Bendis a free pass simply because you didn't like the Rebirth era. That's hardly a valid reason to support further deconstruction of a character that DC has clearly mismanaged for almost two decades. The Rebirth era was the first time in over a decade there was a consistent vision for Superman and his world, yet that's now gone in favor of the vision of a man whose best work (at least as a writer of superheroes) is long behind him.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

***Double post****
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I feel that many of you want to give Bendis a free pass simply because you didn't like the Rebirth era. That's hardly a valid reason to support further deconstruction of a character that DC has clearly mismanaged for almost two decades. The Rebirth era was the first time in over a decade there was a consistent vision for Superman and his world, yet that's now gone in favor of the vision of a man whose best work (at least as a writer of superheroes) is long behind him.
    I agree, the only major criticism I've ever seen leveled at Rebirth was that it was, frankly, too nice.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-03-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Inertia

As in resistance to change. I feel that term describes a good portion of the Superman fanbase's problems. People that can't open themselves to ideas that conflict with the version of Superman they have in their heads. It doesn't matter if the idea, the intention and the execution is good, if it doesn't agree with the head-canon it is immidiately awful :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Tomasi is far from the first writer to have Superman go on a cosmic adventure. He didn't do anything first. I'm glad they did it, that was a good story and I would have liked to see more stuff like that, but the Bendis hate is getting ridiculous when we're actually going to try and credit the prior writer as having done something first/original in regards to visiting an exotic place and utilizing an abstract piece of DC lore in the process, specifically to discredit the next writer. Something that patently untrue is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Its silly "my dad can beat up your dad" games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Never mind. It's not even that serious, and I'm done with all this snorting and glasses adjusting toxic BS.

If complaints and dissatisfaction were permissible during the Rebirth Superman era on here, I see no reason why some mild shade at Bendis equals toxic fandom. That sounds very hypocritical to be perfectly frank because that means Sacred is a toxic fan by this logic. I complain because I care about the character. Superman is my favourite character as well and Bendis is one of my least favourite writers. That's why I'm so annoyed with this status quo. The fact he's writing Superman for the foreseeable future and displaced a run I was immensely satisfied with means I'm entitled to be as critical and dismissive of Bendis as I like. I'm not personally attacking or insulting Bendis either, nor am I stopping you guys from enjoying Bendis. I was making a mild complaint about him repeating a style of story that's already been recently done. There's no need to bend or twist the truth when it comes to Bendis either, I can back what I'm saying about Bendis based on his current and past track record. Unless you're saying critical posts are no longer welcome on the forum because most of you are enjoying Bendis?
    Last edited by Lvenger; 07-03-2018 at 10:50 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The Instagram take over started with this beautiful Adam Hughes variant for Superman issue 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxxVkdH...en-by=dccomics
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The Instagram take over started with this beautiful Adam Hughes variant for Superman issue 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxxVkdH...en-by=dccomics
    Excellent cover! If there is something in Bendis' upcoming work that the Superman fandom is universally accepting, it's the art.

As for the narrative, I'm actually enjoying what Bendis has laid out so far, apart from Jon's subplot and some of the witty dialogue. I want to keep an open mind and give Bendis the benefit of the doubt because he is just getting start and I think we can only judge Man of Steel in its entirety once the series is fully available. Even then, Man of Steel is only the pilot episode to Bendis' main work, so even if he makes some mistakes, he still has the opportunity to fix them in the upcoming issues.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    If complaints and dissatisfaction were permissible during the Rebirth Superman era on here, I see no reason why some mild shade at Bendis equals toxic fandom. That sounds very hypocritical to be perfectly frank because that means Sacred is a toxic fan by this logic. I complain because I care about the character. Superman is my favourite character as well and Bendis is one of my least favourite writers. That's why I'm so annoyed with this status quo. The fact he's writing Superman for the foreseeable future and displaced a run I was immensely satisfied with means I'm entitled to be as critical and dismissive of Bendis as I like. I'm not personally attacking or insulting Bendis either, nor am I stopping you guys from enjoying Bendis. I was making a mild complaint about him repeating a style of story that's already been recently done. There's no need to bend or twist the truth when it comes to Bendis either, I can back what I'm saying about Bendis based on his current and past track record. Unless you're saying critical posts are no longer welcome on the forum because most of you are enjoying Bendis?
    What's funny is that none of the complaints about Bendis are anywhere close to as nasty as the things said about some of the Rebirth books. You could pick any number of individual threads about Dan Jurgens issues of Action Comics that are far more toxic than anything said about Bendis or his plans.

But yeah, criticism won't go over well. It also didn't when folks dared to criticize Nuperman.