Page 455 of 613 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505555 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'd personally like to see a totally new character in the position. Otherwise my totally irrational need for it to be Jimmy Olsen will take over and consume me. Whoever it ends up being, I think it's a safe bet that they'll be human and from Earth.
    As ridiculously fun as VP Olsen would be.....I dunno man, I don't see that one happening.

My sort of off the wall theory right is that it'll be whoever's behind the Leviathan mask. I was reading Bendis' Luke Cage lead New Avengers run today, and I came across an instance where Spider-Man is asking why Victoria Hand is not only not in jail, but also helping to manage the New Avengers. And besides the fact that Cap vouches for her, she was also put there to be an opposing viewpoint that Luke and the Avengers could clash and disagree with while also learning to respect, and find new solutions with. Checks and balances. Sound familiar?

But maybe what threw me for the biggest loop was the fact that Victoria Hand repeats Leviathan's "we want the same thing" tag line to our altruistic and noble Mr. Cage.

Sooooo......Superman/Leviathan 2020?
    Well if the speculation that Leviathan is actually Dick Grayson (which I don't believe for a second) turn out to be true then I am all in for that one!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Leviathan end up under Clark's authority, the same way the US military is under the POTUS', but I don't see this guy, whoever he is, holding a larger role in the UP-Earth structure than that.

And really, I think Superman being in charge of a global SHIELD-like organization would be a pretty fun thing to see. But I don't expect to see Leviathan him/herself serving as a VP or anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Leviathan end up under Clark's authority, the same way the US military is under the POTUS', but I don't see this guy, whoever he is, holding a larger role in the UP-Earth structure than that.
    Regardless of what role Leviathan will eventually play in the DCU and in relation to Clark being President of Earth, I still find it interesting and noteworthy that 1) Leviathan and their men refuse to fight Superman, and 2) they think Superman will agree with them in the end.

I don't think either detail would be added if Bendis didn't intent on Clark's eventual reaction being more than "I'll never agree with you!!!!"

In an early interview regarding Superman and the upcoming stories for the Superman book, Bendis looked back on his work on Tony Stark, and he said that he really loves the idea of a futurist hero. He likes the idea of someone fighting directly for tomorrow.

With MM and Jor-El's suggestions and critiques, Earth being forced into the galactic conversation, him being elected as President of Earth, his son literally joining a super team from the future, and now Leviathan who seems to be a futurist and a Superman fan, I have to wonder if part of the point is set Clark on a journey to become a futurist or at least take those ideals far more to heart than his historically shown to.

Whatever the case, this is direct and major character growth that I haven't seen the likes of since maybe he decided to tell Lois his secret decades ago. A similar fundamental shift in the way he's been thinking and assuming he had to function to get by. I continue to marvel and rage at the fact that strength of this on a conceptual level.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Regardless of what role Leviathan will eventually play in the DCU and in relation to Clark being President of Earth, I still find it interesting and noteworthy that 1) Leviathan and their men refuse to fight Superman, and 2) they think Superman will agree with them in the end.
    I agree with you, but just to play devil's advocate it's not like there haven't been villains who thought Superman would agree with them once they explained their viewpoint to him.

Man......all this really does lend some weight to the Dick Grayson theory......and while I dont believe that'll be the case I can't really decide how I feel about that if it does, somehow, turn out to be true.

Whatever the case, this is direct and major character growth that I haven't seen the likes of since maybe he decided to tell Lois his secret decades ago. A similar fundamental shift in the way he's been thinking and assuming he had to function to get by. I continue to marvel and rage at the fact that strength of this on a conceptual level.
    It really is something incredible, isn't it?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree with you, but just to play devil's advocate it's not like there haven't been villains who thought Superman would agree with them once they explained their viewpoint to him.
    This is very true, and I won't rule that out as a possibility. I'm just thinking about the fact Leviathan apparently left no bodies and seem to have a some sort of valid point that the heroes will have to consider keeps being highlighted. It makes me think it's set up for the big moment where Superman, one of the guys you'd historically expect to not give this the time of day, says "lets hear them out" and shocks everyone. It being Superman who vouches for them will also legitimize them past a flavor of the week, and propel them to the SHIELD status DC seems to be looking for.

On a related note: I'm thinking this might even be a way to work in some Batman/Superman fundamental disagreement (because Bruce is the other guy you'd expect to not give this the time of day) that's more than just the entry level stuff we're normally given. I'd actually be interested in this ideological divide if it came to pass.

Man......all this really does lend some weight to the Dick Grayson theory......and while I dont believe that'll be the case I can't really decide how I feel about that if it does, somehow, turn out to be true.
    I personally can't really say I'd be interested in it being Dick Grayson, honestly.

There's an interesting theory going around that it's Ted Kord. I was starting to guess it was Martian Manhunter honestly, but I hesitate on that due to his role in Justice League being so large (then again, Snyder and Bendis were confirmed to be working out story together before both Justice League and Bendis' Superman run launched, and after). But I think I'm ultimately thinking it's female character.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-05-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I personally can't really say I'd be interested in it being Dick Grayson, honestly.
    Normally I'd be very much against the idea. But it would be a big improvement over what they've been doing with him lately and it would bring back the spy elements I've been missing since the Grayson series ended. But yeah, end of the day I want Dick in the Nightwing suit and with the Nightwing name, not.....this (interesting as it is).

There's an interesting theory going around that it's Ted Kord. I was starting to guess it was Martian Manhunter honestly, but I hesitate on that due to his role in Justice League being so large (then again, Snyder and Bendis were confirmed to be working out story together before both Justice League and Bendis' Superman run launched, and after). But I think I'm ultimately thinking it's female character.
    I could see it being Kord, if the Countdown/Max Lord stuff is somehow back in play. It'd make sense for Ted to go this route; he's got the brains for it and it fits all the hints we've got (at least the ones I know about) and after Max's betrayal I can see Ted deciding this has to be done to prevent more OMAC/Checkmate foolishness. Interesting.

If it's a woman.....gods, who could that be? Batwoman already toyed around somewhat with a clandestine organization in the Rebirth 'Tec title and was labeled as a leader of Spyral in the Event Leviathan starter (which most are writing off as an accident since it was Kathy, not Kate, in Spyral). I've seen people mention Steph Brown, and she *did* start to consider different methodologies in 'Tec, but I don't think she's got the grit to pull this off. Canary seems to lack the motivation, unless she's decided to agree with Ollie about the League needing to be taken down a peg after HiC. Huntress has already been ruled out hasn't she, along with Ranee Montoya?

I dunno. I haven't given Leviathan's identity a ton of thought. I'm just enjoying the ride and waiting to be surprised.

~ Black Panther.

Since this has kind of become the all purpose thread for talking about Superman during the Bendis Era, and I don’t know whether it’s actually worth making it’s own thread for, I thought it worth mentioning that the Superman twitter account was finally activated joining Batman and WW. Might mean nothing, might mean more Superman news is on the horizon, just thought it worth mentioning either way: https://mobile.twitter.com/dcsuperma...22308786266114

New GORGEOUS art from Legion: Millennium by Jeff Dekal

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_kYxfh...d=3eb278k2hqot

Someone in the comment suggested that the immortal woman may actually be Rose/Thorn.

Her being immortal may actually be why Leviathan was so set on getting to her?

New GORGEOUS art from Legion: Millennium by Jeff Dekal

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_kYxfh...d=3eb278k2hqot

Someone in the comment suggested that the immortal woman may actually be Rose/Thorn.

Her being immortal may actually be why Leviathan was so set on getting to her?
    Is the immortal woman a red head? If so then Melody Moore, Jinny Hex, or Rose/Thorn could all be the woman. But I’m personally leaning towards it being a Bendis OC, because that gives him way more freedom to do what he wants with the character without it messing with any established characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is the immortal woman a red head? If so then Melody Moore, Jinny Hex, or Rose/Thorn could all be the woman. But I’m personally leaning towards it being a Bendis OC, because that gives him way more freedom to do what he wants with the character without it messing with any established characters.
    She’s been show to have reddish or auburn hair a few times. Bendis said it’s a character he’s currently writing that finds out she isn’t aging. So it could really be any of them because they wouldn’t discover that until years down the road.

All-New Member

I have a question, and I want to apologize first because I'm sure the answer is somewhere in here, but there are 455 pages on this subject. Anyway, I read the Man of Steel miniseries, and I was turned off and dropped the books. But, Superman is my second favorite character behind Plastic Man. Have Action and Superman improved, both in form and content, since the introductory miniseries? I heard Action was pretty interesting early on, but I still stayed away. I just want to hear that things are getting better and a recommendation that I should jump back in. Thanks in advance.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pynchon1 View Post
    I have a question, and I want to apologize first because I'm sure the answer is somewhere in here, but there are 455 pages on this subject. Anyway, I read the Man of Steel miniseries, and I was turned off and dropped the books. But, Superman is my second favorite character behind Plastic Man. Have Action and Superman improved, both in form and content, since the introductory miniseries? I heard Action was pretty interesting early on, but I still stayed away. I just want to hear that things are getting better and a recommendation that I should jump back in. Thanks in advance.
    It depends on what turned you off of Man of Steel.

In general, I would say that both Action and Superman are improvements upon the "hit the ground running" approach that DC took with Man of Steel.

Most readers seem to be enjoying Action Comics more, which is more focused on Lois & Clark, Metropolis, the Daily Planet, and the Invisible Mafia story threads set up in Man of Steel.
    All the Jon/Jor-El/Rogal Zharr stuff is being dealt with in Superman, and has been less warmly received. However, that may change once Bendis reveals his hand a little more and whatever he's got cooking with the Legion of Super-Heroes comes to fruition. The art, however, has been almost universally praised.

Depending upon which parts of Man of Steel you enjoyed, that should give you an idea of which book you want to sample again. Both series have had their first storyarc collected.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...nvisible-mafia

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...-phantom-earth

Quote Originally Posted by pynchon1 View Post
    Like Bored said, it will depend on what you didn't like about Man of Steel. If Rogul Zaar and that portion of the story was the issue, you're unlikely to find much to like in Superman at all besides the art. If it was the Daily Planet/family level stuff that you disliked, Action's first arc carries over Lois' absence from the Daily Planet and resolves that to an extent, and Superman's second arc does the same for Jon's. But the new status quo is still fluid. The characterization of Superman remains pretty solid throughout all the books. Lois is shaky initially in Action Comics, but by her second appearance in the Leviathan Rising arc and leading into Event Leviathan, Bendis finds a good voice for her and her characterization improves. Jon's characterization actually remains more or less the same as it kinda always was in these types of stories,to me. Action is doing a ton of great world building for Metropolis with the crime family arc of the fires being the introduction to that, though that actual storyline kind of gets dropped temporarily for the Leviathan build up, which itself is a solid arc. This all sets up the new Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen books as well. Both of which are fantastic.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's tough for me to say better, but the developments in story and resulting changes in tone may make a big enough difference. Bendis tweaks slightly to benefit his artists, so another thing is if the line up works for you. I have no idea how he does it, but Kudranski is on art for like three titles right now. Unfortunately I have to say that in addition to Bendis being slow paced (take the slowest Superman story you know and cut it by one third) his Action looks a little muddy. So while others may recommend it, it feels to me like a rainy day sipping on decaf and as a result I wait for three issues pile up to binge it. But I know others really like it. The Superman title has Reis doing his best to stay monthly and usually has Brandon Peterson doing filler parts of story. Superman is just as slow and revolves around that Rogol Zaar (I have an uncommon first and last name too so I guess it's easier for me to remember, haha) but it's more focused. It stays tight to the world of Superman and crosses over with Supergirl harmlessly where Action spends a lot of time setting up other titles and pouring in street level guest stars.

I'd recommend either one in trade form though so jump in.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's tough for me to say better, but the developments in story and resulting changes in tone may make a big enough difference. Bendis tweaks slightly to benefit his artists, so another thing is if the line up works for you. I have no idea how he does it, but Kudranski is on art for like three titles right now. Unfortunately I have to say that in addition to Bendis being slow paced (take the slowest Superman story you know and cut it by one third) his Action looks a little muddy. So while others may recommend it, it feels to me like a rainy day sipping on decaf and as a result I wait for three issues pile up to binge it. But I know others really like it. The Superman title has Reis doing his best to stay monthly and usually has Brandon Peterson doing filler parts of story. Superman is just as slow and revolves around that Rogol Zaar (I have an uncommon first and last name too so I guess it's easier for me to remember, haha) but it's more focused. It stays tight to the world of Superman and crosses over with Supergirl harmlessly where Action spends a lot of time setting up other titles and pouring in street level guest stars.

I'd recommend either one in trade form though so jump in.
    The art on the first arc of Action was great, with Gleason putting his best Superman work to date, Sook, and Paquette. But I agree since then it's been dark and muddy. Kind of fit the tone of the story, but I felt like I was the only one who did not really care for Epting on that arc. I'm really curious how Naomi's guest appearance is going to play out with her in that art style vs. Campbell's bright and detailed style.

I wonder how much of the pacing issue in Superman is due to Reis struggling to keep it monthly. The Jon flashbacks were probably necessary, but this last one of Jor El just seemed to be filler and added very little to the story itself. I've found the pacing in Superman to be much more frustrating than in Action. Mainly because I feel like Action has kinda resolved some plot points (who started the fires, Lois' status, the Daily Planet buyout, and Leviathan) versus Superman which other than Jon has literally kicked the Rogol Zaar can from Man of Steel further down the road.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

When it comes to Lois' status being resolved, to not spoil it I would say kinda sorta and in a way that I find unpleasant. I still haven't even read the first issue of her new title because I first opened it to the page where some passerby calls her a name. I'll binge that one too I guess. Which is the disadvantage to Action IMO: it's pretty solid and I'm really into the Leviathan book as a supplement (there's some promise for Plas in there, pynchon) but reading Action by itself then becomes a little empty. I also flipped through this last one, 1013, and saw it was taken up by a certain guest star going on a tear.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES