Page 544 of 613 FirstFirst ... 44444494534540541542543544545546547548554594 ... LastLast
Results 8,146 to 8,160 of 9194

Gee, Bendis turned out to be a disapointment, i sure as hell didn't see that one coming lol.

I mean, it's not like as if he ruined the X-men (and in this case it's not a hyperbole) or did a horrible job with the Avengers or something.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Gee, Bendis turned out to be a disapointment, i sure as hell didn't see that one coming lol.

I mean, it's not like as if he ruined the X-men (and in this case it's not a hyperbole) or did a horrible job with the Avengers or something.
    Oh, and Ironheart's first run as a pseudo-Ironman was also really bad, so there is that.... Riri has been far more tolerable as a character since Bendis left Marvel, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

I mean,a lot of us(not everyone) do enjoy him on the titles.There are just a few big decisions that spurred a lot of peoples enjoyments like teen Jon, but besides that, he has a good handle on writing Superman as a character and getting his inspiring moments right. He especially nails handling daily planet scenes, which is why a lot of people prefer his action comics run.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean,a lot of us(not everyone) do enjoy him on the titles.There are just a few big decisions that spurred a lot of peoples enjoyments like teen Jon, but besides that, he has a good handle on writing Superman as a character and getting his inspiring moments right. He especially nails handling daily planet scenes, which is why a lot of people prefer his action comics run.
    I'm wondering how much of it was editorial fiat? A good story idea becomes a bad one when you add dumb editorial fiats.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'm wondering how much of it was editorial fiat? A good story idea becomes a bad one when you add dumb editorial fiats.
    From what's been said in interviews, a lot of the choices were Bendis himself. Though reading between the lines, it seems like 5G and Jon being aged up was something happening before Bendis even got hired..

I swear I recall reading the Jon thing was his decision, that's part of the reason I don't care for this run so much because it was pointless and adds nothing, and was clearly just for shock value every story he's written so far including Legion could have been achieved without it because it adds nothing to the overall story except making Clark and Lois look like trash.

All that aside truthfully I felt this whole run has been mediocre at best like other than the Jon thing I can't recall any memorable moments. Like there's nothing I feel people will look back on and be like, "OMG such an iconic Superman moment"

Even the big reveal has been done in the past this whole run has just been meh to me not the worst thing in the world but nothing spectacular and 5G would have just been the topper on a mediocre year for Superman I hope it's cancelled and if old dude who got fired was the main one pushing for it and ruining my favorite character in the process I say Peace!!! Just my opinion.

From what's been said in interviews, a lot of the choices were Bendis himself. Though reading between the lines, it seems like 5G and Jon being aged up was something happening before Bendis even got hired..
    Pretty sure 5G was in the works before Bendis. I want to say aging Jon up was a Bendis idea, but it seems like it was a decision made in response to the 5G plans. I'm guessing (and that's all it is) Bendis knew 5G was gonna hit, and instead of opting for a complete left-field replacement like Luke Fox replacing Batman, Bendis wanted to set up a more organic, natural replacement for Clark. And that's Jon. But at ten years old, or even at fifteen if 5G provides a time skip, he's too young. So Bendis aged Jon up so he'd be ready to take over as Superman when 5G arrived and, at least in theory, it'd make a lot more sense than the Luke Fox thing.

Personally I don't care either way. I'm one of the fans who didn't want Clark to be a father in the first place. Ten year old Jon was fun and had plenty of miles left in him, but teen Space Prince Jon has been fun as well (if rushed), just in a different way. And in the end I'd rather he not exist in the first place, so....whatever. Bendis gets Clark and writes him properly, better than almost any other modern writer (how did that happen?) and he's good with the Planet and has improved dramatically with Lois. And he got Conner back. So Jon? Whatever.

In my book, Bendis has done far, far more good than he's done bad with Superman. I dislike the Legion being given to Jon, and I think if Jon has to exist at all, there was no need to age him (unless 5G was the reason). But other than that? Bendis has given me my wild and crazy, non-traditional marriage and written Lois as a determined career woman instead of the farm wife Tomasi so often gave us. We've got the United Planets in the modern day, and Clark growing and changing in his mission and taking the next steps in life. Even the identity reveal has been done in a way that I've greatly enjoyed it and wouldn't riot at the idea of it sticking long-term. For my money, Bendis can write Superman as long as he wants. Or until the quality drops, anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah to echo what Ascended said, at the end of the day the ability to write Clark well is what I look for. That takes precedence over everything else in my book, and Bendis has consistently nailed Clark. He’s compassionate, and can see the good in everyone, but he’s not a naive idiot or a simple hick from the country who doesn’t know what he’s doing. He makes an effort to reach out to Red Cloud, who as a new villain might still be savable, and is willing to try to patch things up with Zod. But he also brings the beat down on people like Mongul when he has to. He has a temper that he sometimes struggles to keep in check. He has a non traditional set up with Lois which I love. He acknowledges that there’s a lot of evil in the world, but there’s that perfect monologue Bendis wrote where he also points out that he can hear all the good things people do to each other as well as the bad. He’s concerned about the future of Earth but instead of pondering whether he should declare himself God-King, he instead tries to get the United Planets up and running, which is the most proactive he’s been since I wanna say New Krypton.

I get that there’s a sizeable contingent who just want simple family stories with the Kents on a farm, but that was starting to get boring by the end of Tomasi’s run imo. I’m not a fan of aged up Jon Kent or Jon being the first Superfamily Legionnaire, and I’d rather have the Retroboot Legion back, so it’s not like I think Bendis is a flawless god. I would’ve let Tomasi continue to play with Jon in Super Sons and let Bendis focus on Clark in the main books. But I’m genuinely interested in where all this is going, 5G aside, and that’s something I haven’t felt about Superman since Morrison finished his Action run.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-23-2020 at 08:11 PM.

I'm another unicorn that likes Bendis' take on things after dropping the book early in New 52 and only coming back with the Lois & Clark series and Rebirth. I liked Tomasi & Gleason's run a lot - got a couple of pages of Gleason's original art from that run in fact - but got kinda bored. I like his Clark, I've come around to like Bendis' Lois quite a bit, it's got shades of Erica Durance to me, and I've really liked how he's expanded the Superverse with the Lois & Jimmy books, Wonder Comics, and the new Legion.

The hard truth is there were changes on the way post-Action 1000 regardless. Lois was on a bus most likely. The farmife was on its way out. And who knows what else. Bendis likely took things in a slightly different direction, and he did so hurriedly and definitely has some really rough execution. But I'm overall happy with it. I wish Action would get back to the Metropolis focused stuff and not this disjointed mess it's been. But it's overall an interesting direction.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, he does the same thing most writers do with superman. I don't see much difference. Morrison's superman and this guy have nothing in common. I would love to get that feeling. But i don't. I feel absolute apathy for clark. He can be king of the world and i wouldn't care. United planets is okay concept. It needs work. That's it, everything else is just nonsense except for some of the spy stuff. 5G might have been in the works before bendis came. But, didio has been seeing bendis since he was sick two years prior to him coming over. I believe it was both their idea. I heard Anad marvel was Bendis's. So there is precedence to the claim. They would have had someone else replace clark. They wanted edgy kewl superman. Then they realised jon had gotten over. So, they used him. They tried bringing him back with the edgy cool nonsense. Which backfired so they changed his voice, made clark kents voice. They decided to just change jon in characterisation.

As for conner, he ain't the son of superman. He doesn't have that layer to him. He wasn't superman's side kick. He wasn't raised by clark. Conner never felt growing up as the son. He didn't get his face planted in the ground while he was trying to fly as 7 year old. These were all jon's attributes. It wasn't just family stories it was darn good base. Bendis instead of building on it took it apart. He could have done anything and everything with family intact. He didn't. Because why? Kewl superman, emo shitty mom lois. Jon is in superbook. What a horror?congratulations, now you can have superman stories that focuses on leviathan, mafia... Etc and not on superman. Atleast with jon being in the title it was fun. Which is my main problem. Superman not being able to maintain a direction and build of from previous writers. This is the third or fourth direction change without finishing the prior one. It's absolutely is a problem.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-23-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm another unicorn that likes Bendis' take on things after dropping the book early in New 52 and only coming back with the Lois & Clark series and Rebirth. I liked Tomasi & Gleason's run a lot - got a couple of pages of Gleason's original art from that run in fact - but got kinda bored. I like his Clark, I've come around to like Bendis' Lois quite a bit, it's got shades of Erica Durance to me, and I've really liked how he's expanded the Superverse with the Lois & Jimmy books, Wonder Comics, and the new Legion.

The hard truth is there were changes on the way post-Action 1000 regardless. Lois was on a bus most likely. The farmife was on its way out. And who knows what else. Bendis likely took things in a slightly different direction, and he did so hurriedly and definitely has some really rough execution. But I'm overall happy with it. I wish Action would get back to the Metropolis focused stuff and not this disjointed mess it's been. But it's overall an interesting direction.
    Wow, it never hit me till you wrote that how on point that description of his Lois is. Maybe that's why I love his take so much, that was the series that really made me love the character so much.

I really disliked Durance's Lois (quit watching show in season 6, btw, so didn't see later stuff), so I suppose it's not shocking that I dislike this Lois, even they're similar (not that I especially noticed them to be). I should mention I disliked for writing reasons, not acting ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I really disliked Durance's Lois (quit watching show in season 6, btw, so didn't see later stuff), so I suppose it's not shocking that I dislike this Lois, even they're similar (not that I especially noticed them to be). I should mention I disliked for writing reasons, not acting ones.
    The Daily Planet seasons are imo the best parts of the show and the only parts I rewatch, I recommend going back if you have any fondness for the show at all.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 02-24-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Wow, it never hit me till you wrote that how on point that description of his Lois is. Maybe that's why I love his take so much, that was the series that really made me love the character so much.
    I think it really clicked for me in the Fortress scenes in Leviathan Rising. Lois hauling off and knocking Waller out was something that Durance's Lois definitely would have done, along with the mischievous glee over Chaz. Bendis definitely missed the mark with his early Lois characterization and voice, but he settled in around Leviathan Rising and I've liked his take on her since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The Daily Planet seasons are imo the best parts of the show and the only parts I rewatch, I recommend going back if yo have any fondness for the show at all.
    Seasons 9 & 10 are great and the only ones I've rewatched as well. I watched the first 3, and then I think I dropped out until the Doomsday season (8?). But 10 is far and away the best season of the show to me. Along with the Season 11 comics they make for great Superman material and really solidify Durance as probably my favorite live action Lois Lane.

Astonishing Member

I definitely agree about the latter DP seasons being worth a watch. The show had long since lost its way until they started leaning heavily on the Superman lore, mind you with its own Smallville twist. I also re-watch S8-S10 now and then.