Page 349 of 613 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I like that Bendis writes a little ahead of stuff he's still polishing up, it gives him a target goal to work towards, and by letting it be known early, he can build big time to that meeting and receive appropriate feedback from the fans as to how to do it right in other subsequent drafts.
    reminds me of after his hospital scare he changed the ending of his miles morales book to be more optimistic instead of whatever he was planning to do.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I saw that as well. He was something like 8 months ahead of the books before, so this reunion may be as far out as October or November.
    As long as Superman and his family get excellent moments of character exploration and family drama, I'm willing to accept it. The best thing about Bendis is that he writes Superman as a deeply layered, multidimensional character instead of just a vanilla goody-two-shoes who never gets angry, never gets sad, always has the right answers and easily solves any problem he comes across with almost no opposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I like that Bendis writes a little ahead of stuff he's still polishing up, it gives him a target goal to work towards, and by letting it be known early, he can build big time to that meeting and receive appropriate feedback from the fans as to how to do it right in other subsequent drafts.
    You gotta hand it to Bendis. He definitely plans ahead and rarely, if ever, seems to be backed up into a narrative corner. Despite a few bumps on the road (Rogol Zaar), I've been enjoying the newer Superman comics. Is it wrong for me to still keep a cautiously optimistic attitude towards Bendis?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Is it wrong for me to still keep a cautiously optimistic attitude towards Bendis?
    I'm often dipping my toes into criticism and praise. I've followed Bendis most of my adult life now, so I'm used to his pros and cons. So far he's doing a fair job with the Super books, though he's had his pitfalls at the same time (AC#1004 was well intentioned, but may be regarded as the worst Superman/Action Comics issue of 2018 and a poor start to this "modern" chapter of the Lois/Clark marriage)

As long as Superman and his family get excellent moments of character exploration and family drama, I'm willing to accept it. The best thing about Bendis is that he writes Superman as a deeply layered, multidimensional character instead of just a vanilla goody-two-shoes who never gets angry, never gets sad, always has the right answers and easily solves any problem he comes across with almost no opposition.
    what writer in the last few years didn't do that exactly? jurgens and tomasi superman got angry and sad several times also.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

They might relaunch the Supersons this time as an ongoing , after the reunion(hopefully, but not counting on it). Since, by the time the AoSS will end. I hope, he delivers some fun stories with the character.His voice for Jon is ok. But, his dynamics with the family and jor el has been boring lately. It just feels empty.
    Edit-I still think Jon is going to be turned back sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-17-2019 at 09:45 AM.

You gotta hand it to Bendis. He definitely plans ahead and rarely, if ever, seems to be backed up into a narrative corner. Despite a few bumps on the road (Rogol Zaar), I've been enjoying the newer Superman comics. Is it wrong for me to still keep a cautiously optimistic attitude towards Bendis?
    Yeah, I have some issues with how he's handled Lois (really just that he's rushed her through things, not that they were completely out of character) but on the whole the characterization of Superman, Jon, and Lois has been handled well I feel. With Superman being the best, Jon solid, and Lois improving.

And yes, Bendis seems to have a plan for the books long term and the clout within the company to execute those plans. Which is generally a lot better than making it up as you go along and drastically changing directions every 6 months. It seems pretty clear that Bendis and Scott Snyder are driving a lot of the overall direction of the DCU at this point. With Bendis having what seems like complete control over the Superbooks.

For all the hype Tom King gets, he seems to be corralled in Batman only, with Heroes in Crisis kinda floundering about and with the Batman in Detective Comics and Justice League being the driving mainstream representation of the character with little to no recognition of the events in Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    what writer in the last few years didn't do that exactly? jurgens and tomasi superman got angry and sad several times also.
    Oh yeah! Tomasi's and jurgen's superman used to get really angry and impulsive.heck! He first introduced himself with a brawl with lex. And later on, got really angry at kathy's grandfather, bruce and Damian.

Master Hero Vladimir

Yes, and they deserve praise for that. I'm actually referring to the overly popular misconception of Superman being an unbeatable alien god who always stays happy and never suffers for his mistakes. We, as comic book fans, know Superman is deeper and more complex than people give him credit for but if the naysayers took the time to actually read the comic books that inspire the adaptations in mainstream media, then maybe, just maybe, Superman's public reputation would improve.

Personally, I think Bendis has done a good job at maintaining a balance between grounded, realistic drama and epic, larger-than-life melodrama. The story might be big and epic in scope but Bendis made it clear that Superman will project his thoughts and feelings into his actions and he won't be just a reactive blank slate who only exists to facilitate the viewer's immersion into the story.
    Last edited by HeroVladimir93; 02-17-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Grammar check.

Yes, and they deserve praise for that. I'm actually referring to the overly popular misconception of Superman being an unbeatable alien god who always stays happy and never suffers for his mistakes. We, as comic book fans, know Superman is deeper and more complex than people give him credit for but if the naysayers took the time to actually read the comic books that inspire the adaptations in mainstream media, then maybe, just maybe, Superman's public reputation would improve.

Personally, I think Bendis has done a good job at maintaining a balance between grounded, realistic drama and epic, larger-than-life melodrama. The story might be big and epic in scope but Bendis made it clear that Superman will project his thoughts and feelings into his actions and he won't be just a reactive blank slate who only exists to facilitate the viewer's immersion into the story.
    I guess we are on the same page then, because I agree with your pov 100%

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, I have some issues with how he's handled Lois (really just that he's rushed her through things, not that they were completely out of character) but on the whole the characterization of Superman, Jon, and Lois has been handled well I feel. With Superman being the best, Jon solid, and Lois improving.

And yes, Bendis seems to have a plan for the books long term and the clout within the company to execute those plans. Which is generally a lot better than making it up as you go along and drastically changing directions every 6 months. It seems pretty clear that Bendis and Scott Snyder are driving a lot of the overall direction of the DCU at this point. With Bendis having what seems like complete control over the Superbooks.

For all the hype Tom King gets, he seems to be corralled in Batman only, with Heroes in Crisis kinda floundering about and with the Batman in Detective Comics and Justice League being the driving mainstream representation of the character with little to no recognition of the events in Batman.
    What about Doomsday Clock? The story is fine but the series has suffered because of its constant delays and Superman is supposed to be a major player there. I get that Geoff Johns is busy with other DC projects, but considering that Doomsday Clock is supposed to conclude the Rebirth era, it's blows my mind that Doomsday Clock doesn't seem to be a priority for DC. At this point in the game, Bendis and Snyder seem to have taken Johns' place as the main creative architects for the DCU.

I don't think john's had any influence in the current direction ever since he stepped down.He seems to be just focused on his things and doomsday clock. I don't think it will have that major affect on DCu anymore. I feel Didio has taken back charge.

What about Doomsday Clock? The story is fine but the series has suffered because of its constant delays and Superman is supposed to be a major player there. I get that Geoff Johns is busy with other DC projects, but considering that Doomsday Clock is supposed to conclude the Rebirth era, it's blows my mind that Doomsday Clock doesn't seem to be a priority for DC. At this point in the game, Bendis and Snyder seem to have taken Johns' place as the main creative architects for the DCU.
    I think Doomsday Clock's overall importance to the direction of the DCU was likely overstated by fans from the beginning. When you look back, this whole mystery was almost always self-contained to the Rebirth One-Shot, The Button, and tangentially issues of The Flash, Titans, and Reborn. We've likely already started to see the various ways it's outcome will affect continuity with the reassertion of different aspects of Pre-Flashpoint elements, Wonder Comics, and even the direction of the Superman books. It was never really intended to be a "Crisis" level book. Beyond the reintroduction of the JSA and the LoSH, the effects on the continuity as a result of the rollback of Manhattan's changes have likely been happening for a while now.

Basically, Doomsday Clock was intended as a response to and companion to Watchmen that would be collected and sold as such. It's emblematic of the shift in priority to more "publishing" like Black Label, Zoom, and Ink that can be sold outside the direct market in book stores and online. The single issues of the Black Label books sold in the direct market aren't important, i think they are an olive branch to Comic Shops really, because its the collections that are the real focus. So the delays on the single issues of Doomsday Clock are of little concern when the real intent is to have it be a companion volume to Watchmen, which for probably 95% of the people who have read it only has existed as a complete work.

All that said, I think Bendis and Snyder have taken the role of the central planners of the DCU, with people like Tyinion and Williamson. I don't think Tom King has any real desire to operate on that level, and I could even see HiC as souring that further for him. He wants to tell his deep prestige drama stories that stand alone. I mean, the continuity heavy crossover issues of Batman he hands off to others.

And as for any editorial meddling, I don't think that's the cause for the delays. I think Johns is working really hard to perfect things as shown by Frank's "deleted scenes" he's shown a bit of, and the ending has been known to various creators for a while now. Bendis knows how its going to end, it follows that Snyder knows as well and is working around it in his Justice League as Bendis has in Superman.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-17-2019 at 10:38 AM.

For people hoping Jon would get younger by the end of the year somehow, don't anticipate it. Bendis has said it will be a while before Jon and Damian's reunion since there is so much else going on,but he started writing a draft already because of how excited he is for their new dynamic. And we already know Bendis likes to write a lot of issues ahead.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...47352169644032
    I can see this being interesting not only for Bendis writing Damian and Jon together (and whatever their new dynamic is) but also to see how Bendis writes Damian.

Will he write Damian complaining about Tim calling himself just Robin again ?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will he write Damian complaining about Tim calling himself just Robin again ?
    That would actually be pretty funny lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Another tease for The Question's return to Action Comics. Wonder if it's going to be in black and white - the TV screen is in color and shows what looks like a news report on the Cobra Cult.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9nOYXnoZK/