Page 508 of 613 FirstFirst ... 8408458498504505506507508509510511512518558608 ... LastLast
Results 7,606 to 7,620 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm in total agreement here.

Man, who ever thought that we'd be talking about a Bendis book and saying "it's moving too fast!"?

But you're right, a lot of stuff has been rushed and I think that's part of why this run isn't working for some people. Take the whole "Clark and Lois let Jon go to space with gramps" thing. People are *still* bitching about that two years later. That's a decision that is perfectly in character for Clark and Lois but the conversation needed at least a full issue to play out if we were to really get the full swing of it. And that sort of thing has happened several times now.

And Clark going public? That's......man, I'm with Sacred on how important that is. The Clark-Superman dynamic is where the true character is found and screwing with that.....it's hard to have any trust in DC with this; they've proven to be criminally incompetent and messing around with something as fundamental as the secret identity? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. But it does seem like Bendis is building this right (so far) so.....it might turn out okay?

So, what is it that got changed? Bendis admitted that "what" wasn't the original plan? Are we talking about 5G here? Is that not a Bendis proposal?
    People are only bitching about it because people got a whiplash. This wasn't a keep everyone at arms length clark kent. This guy was well settled.
    He and lois came from another world and made a life for himself and the kid. He didn't need that kind of nonsense, Same with lois.lois and clark showed how much clark has grown comfortable in his skin.It was awful how they handled it. They shoved off their kid in space with a lunatic whose mess clark is still cleaning up. They didn't even care. AC#1004 is one of the worst issues in the past 10 years for me.if i had my way i would completely erase it. I mean, what was that. Yuck!
    As for Clark's coming out party, I have no issue. If this is the same guy who feels comfortable in his own skin. I could see him come out. I think the jor el reason bendis gave is pretty potent. I could see clark taking the "no More lies" to heart. But the thing is i don't feel the same thing anymore. Clark is back to being troubled and confused again regarding his personal life in bendis run. He isn't the laidback superdad(until the kid gets hurt) he was in rebirth. That's not how coming out party should have been Written. Clark's uniqueness should be celebrated that includes himself. This is'nt something like that. This feels more like a reaction than a next step in Clark's life.

So, what is it that got changed? Bendis admitted that "what" wasn't the original plan? Are we talking about 5G here? Is that not a Bendis proposal?
    The original plan Bendis talked about over the summer was that there was kind of a filler arc to let Reis catch up dealing with the Fortress going missing. Along with the Lois Year of the Villain issue and cover. Bendis also said I think in the WP or NYT’s articles on this that he had a different resolution in mind to all the personal issues that came up from Lois and his kiss picture to Jon’s presumed outing. Rucka in the recent WB interview indicates that as well, basically that Bendis came to him and Fraction with this after they were into their storylines and kinda blew things up for them.

I don’t think 5G plays into it necessarily and this makes me lean more 5G being a separate imprint because I think Bendis wants to play this out himself.

I'm in total agreement here.

Man, who ever thought that we'd be talking about a Bendis book and saying "it's moving too fast!"?

But you're right, a lot of stuff has been rushed and I think that's part of why this run isn't working for some people. Take the whole "Clark and Lois let Jon go to space with gramps" thing. People are *still* bitching about that two years later. That's a decision that is perfectly in character for Clark and Lois but the conversation needed at least a full issue to play out if we were to really get the full swing of it. And that sort of thing has happened several times now.

And Clark going public? That's......man, I'm with Sacred on how important that is. The Clark-Superman dynamic is where the true character is found and screwing with that.....it's hard to have any trust in DC with this; they've proven to be criminally incompetent and messing around with something as fundamental as the secret identity? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. But it does seem like Bendis is building this right (so far) so.....it might turn out okay?

It’s a common flaw in his writing that nothing moves forward at all and then all of a sudden everything just lurches forward. It was a key ingredient of his Ultimate Spider-Man days and unfortunately while it worked there it hasn’t translated so well to other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    People are only bitching about it because people got a whiplash.
    Yeah, that's how I felt in Rebirth when a guy who had spent almost a century struggling to connect to family was suddenly written, out of nowhere, as the perfect, flawless dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don’t think 5G plays into it necessarily and this makes me lean more 5G being a separate imprint because I think Bendis wants to play this out himself.
    Ah okay, thanks. Yeah I remember some of that now.

I'm leaning towards 5G being an imprint (of some kind) as well....just because I struggle to imagine DC being stupid enough to replace their entire publishing line with it. I mean, I have very little faith in these guys, but if they believe this is actually going to work in the direct market.....man, WB needs to fire their asses and hire me!

Rumor is that 5G is going to take over the whole line but the current continuity (or at least the classic versions of characters) will continue in Black Label. If that were flipped and 5G was going to be the imprint I'd believe it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It does seem crazy that Didio, who has repeatedly shown he doesn’t like legacy characters and prefers the “iconic” versions, is somehow on board with replacing ALL of the originals with legacies at the same time. Kind of flies in the face of his MO. Now if this were a temporary status quo change, yeah sure whatever. But BC has hyped it up as an (intended) permanent change.

Not the first time Didio has done/allowed stuff like this though. It's true he's not fond of legacy characters but he let Clark be replaced during New Krypton, Bruce has been replaced a couple times under Didio's tenure....same with Aquaman during One Year Later and Hal with Simon Baz. Other than Diana I'm not sure if there's any major character who hasn't been replaced at some point since Didio took office. Some of those changes were obviously designed to be short-term, but others might've been planned as permanent....until the sales came in.

Remember how people complained in the New52 that Clark, and many other characters, weren't acting like themselves? Didio might think that new characters is the way to avoid those complaints. This could still be Didio fumbling at the "reboot done right" goal he's been chasing for years.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, that's how I felt in Rebirth when a guy who had spent almost a century struggling to connect to family was suddenly written, out of nowhere, as the perfect, flawless dad.
    Well, there was a build up to it in lois and clark and convergence.Anyways even before that, clark had revealed his secret to lois years ago.he had gotten married. He had many adventures as a married man. So what is the reason for whiplash? Him keeping people at arms length ended with him revealing himself to lois. You got a run down on the guy since.it wasn't even a bad run down. Lois and clark was awesome. I mean, in twelve issues you can tell an entire origin from birth to youth. This is nothing.

Here, it isn't like that. There was no prep for regression, not even a run down. Clark oopsy daisied back this time got his kid involved without anything. Lois is worse of than clark in that department .i would take the guy from rebirth.Even if you think he is perfect in a bad way Than a guy who treats family like an afterthought. For God's sake, he is what?35, 40.A responsible adult. He should be able deal with his internal s@*it with out affecting the kid. He's got no excuses.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.

That's a decision that is perfectly in character for Clark and Lois
    They let their ten year old son run off with a man who, the last time they saw him, was a straight up villain. Just because he cried about the big kids not letting him play with them (a rejection that he still completely misunderstood but that's an argument for another day). And for what? So Jor El could teach him things Clark was already teaching him? How was anyone in this situation acting in character? Even Jon was being unusually stupid (though he at least admits, later on, that it was a bad idea)

Even if Bendis had given them time to think about it, the only way to make this whole thing in character would have been for Clark to go with them....and not leave after a few days like Mom of the year did.
    Last edited by Blue22; 11-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    They let their ten year old son run off with a man who, the last time they saw him, was a straight up villain. Just because he cried about the big kids not letting him play with them (a rejection that he still completely misunderstood but that's an argument for another day). And for what? So Jor El could teach him things Clark was already teaching him? How was anyone in this situation acting in character? Even Jon was being unusually stupid (though he at least admits, later on, that it was a bad idea)

Even if Bendis had given them time to think about it, the only way to make this whole thing in character would have been for Clark to go with them....and not leave after a few days like Mom of the year did.
    He means, clark's keeping people at distance thing and messing things with family like getting mon el stuck, dropping of supergirl(ofcourse, postcrisis this didn't happen) ... Etc. You know the bad dad thing similar to goku.

That's the execution part. If Bendis has set up Jor El slightly better, Jurgen's left him as having been mind controlled and missing, so his coming back an reintegrating into their family was not a real stretch, it wouldn't have been as jarring for him to reappear with this offer. Because if you accept Jor El's status quo change at the time of Man of Steel it's not out of character at all. Literally everyone they know, including Lois & Clark, have been mind controlled, so that's no real reason to hold it against him. Tomasi & Gleason closed out their run with Jon and Kathy hopping into other dimensions for fun, and no one cared. Jon bounced around with Damian all over the place - including off planet at least twice. Clark brought him to watch a planet kill itself! Taking an off planet summer break trip with Grandpa (a yellow sun powered Kryptonian himself) wouldn't really be an issue. As it stands Jor El's actions in no way hurt Jon. They basically got in a car accident.

Nah. Even in that regard, I have to disagree. By virtue of letting his child be a hero in the first place, Clark is already kind of a bad Dad. But I don't think he'd be Goku levels of neglectful like Bendis made him and Lois xD

He means, clark's keeping people at distance thing and messing things with family like getting mon el stuck, dropping of supergirl(ofcourse, postcrisis this didn't happen) ... Etc. You know the bad dad thing similar to goku.
    Mon El isn't family and he at least left Kara in the care of people that were a hell lot more trustworthy than evil Jor-El.

People really overstate just how much Clark is hands off with the rest of the Super family. Even when he wasn't raising Kara himself he made sure she was well taken care of by people who could be trusted and the only reason it took some time for him to be in Connor's life is because Connor initially wanted nothing to do with him. The rest of the Super family is people who either have their own guardians (Natasha Irons) or are too old for Clark to babysit them (Karen and John Henry Irons).
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-15-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Nah. Even in that regard, I have to disagree. By virtue of letting his child be a hero in the first place, Clark is already kind of a bad Dad. But I don't think he'd be Goku levels of neglectful like Bendis made him and Lois xD
    Well, there is precedence to it in precrisis characterisation. I could see that guy be as much a shitty dad as goku is. But, not in postcrisis characterisation.Which reminds me, since we are back to that era. I would love for martian manhunter to be the big green alien babysitter for jon. We need a green dad for jon. It would be hilarious. Also, hal was pretty concerned for jon.heck!i felt he was more concerned about than clark. He is pretty green.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Mon El isn't family and he at least left Kara in the care of people that were a hell lot more trustworthy than evil Jor-El.

People really overstate just how much Clark is hands off with the rest of the Super family. Even when he wasn't raising Kara himself he made sure she was well taken care of by people who could be trusted and the only reason it took some time for him to be in Connor's life is because Connor initially wanted nothing to do with him. The rest of the Super family is people who either have their own guardians (Natasha Irons) or are too old for Clark to babysit them (Karen and John Henry Irons).
    He was supposed to be like elder brother figure. Family isn't restricted by blood. Kelex is family . Hey! I am not the one who say clark is that bad of a dad. @ascended is.

Which reminds me, since we are back to that era. I would love for martian manhunter to be the big green alien babysitter for jon. We need a green dad for jon. It would be hilarious. Also, hal was pretty concerned for jon.heck!i felt he was more concerned about than clark. He is pretty green.
    #JohnStewartforJonKent'sMentor

Big John and Lil Jon xD