Page 253 of 613 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I am worried about that too, because he's one of my favorite characters.

However, at this point, what will happen to Jon is inevitable, so I just hope the changes are positive for the popularity of the character.
    Me too. Let's hope for the best.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Just like relatable is also subjective term.
    Never did I say it wasn't. But as you've already confirmed, you're relating to Clark because you're worried about what Jon will be like when he comes back, and you're yearning for the conventional family dynamic of Rebirth. And other's are feel the same in some complicity or at the very least understanding that this is clearly what Clark is feeling.

But we can't talk about Jon's likability after he comes back till, well, he actually comes back. While both are clearly subjective, it's easier to talk about and go over one rather than the other at this stage.

Some of Jon's development happened in supersons
    Sure. Some. But the vast majority was in Superman and Superman: Lois & Clark. That's just facts. He is a co-lead in a another book, but his character development is historically taken care of in the main books.

that I feel that Jon could make out on his own as a character.
    Jon is very much his own character. Never did I say otherwise. But Jon is also the supporting character in the Superman books. Being your own character and being a supporting character in a book aren't mutually exclusive. Lois is very much her own character, but she's also a supporting character (sometimes even co-lead) of the Superman books.

Maybe join the titans, star in other team ups or start his own solo if the market is kind enough.
    I think he's on his way to either joining the Legion of Superheroes, getting his own solo, or both. Bendis has made it clear that he has very big plans for Jon. Even in the Superman books, it's quite clear that Bendis will be giving very specific focus to Jon's personal unfolding story.

Jon as character will not be allowed time to breath or become his own character like nightwing, conner or even damian.
    There's nothing to indicate that this will happen to. Again, you're welcome (and you don't need me to tell you this) to assume or ponder the worse if that's what you feel is required at this stage, but there is no fact beyond your speculation. That's personally not how I'm going to spend this time. All I can do is wish you the best, and hope that we all end up find something to enjoy about the boy's return in issues 6 and 7 of Superman.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Check out Bendis' specially illustrated tribute to Stan Lee (includes some talk about his Superman fandom)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/o...ZceowjBAIA0q6k

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Just try saying that to some Lois fans after AC#1004. Even I caught heat from some of them for defending how Bendis wrote her in that
    Hey whoa , I haven't read 1004 yet, so maybe I spoke too soon, but if it didn't bother you too much I doubt it will me. Hopfully that's the worst Bendis does.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, I do actually.

Tangentially, I've been thinking about it more, along with Bendis' "imaginary stories get to the heart of a character in a way that the normal ones tend to not" comments, and this seems--interestingly enough--to line up with Superman (1970) issue 224 where Superman and Lois have a super baby that doesn't quite fit into what Superman assumed.
    Hey yeah killer post dude, I haven't read Superman 224 in a long time(I believe that falls somewhere around the 15 cent era) Still waiting for that Bronze age Superman Omnibus!! Have not read Miracle Man yet but that is definitely a close parallel to the current superman situation.
    But yeah I agree with you here, and Superman 224 is a good example, that's where they appear to be going. That yes, the biggest appeal of Jon Kent, is that he is Supermans actual biological son. So for those that like him as a "mini post crisis" version of his dad, that's fine, heck I like him that way too, but I don't think that is really the point of his character. I'm curious to see what Bendis does with him, and most importantly, I'm curious to see how our main protagonist, Superman, reacts and deals with it.

I'm gonna give Bendis the benefit of the doubt too and say he likely wont go too far with the tragedy element(it is a mainstream superhero comic) or screw up Jon too badly so that he is unrecognizable. I guess is remains to be seen whether this is just another arc for Jon or a long term change for him, I'm leaning towards it just an arc. Jon is such a new character that its still hard to say which way he will go.

Oh, and I believe its in Man of Steel #5 where Jor-el says something to the effect of "Jon is an experiment that by my calculations should not be possible" referring to the mixing of human and kryponian DNA....I'm still fixated on that.
    Last edited by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes; 11-13-2018 at 05:08 AM.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

I think he's on his way to either joining the Legion of Superheroes, getting his own solo, or both. Bendis has made it clear that he has very big plans for Jon. Even in the Superman books, it's quite clear that Bendis will be giving very specific focus to Jon's personal unfolding story.
    I did not know that.That is good to here,Jon has a direction after the whole thing.

There's nothing to indicate that this will happen to. Again, you're welcome (and you don't need me to tell you this) to assume or ponder the worse if that's what you feel is required at this stage, but there is no fact beyond your speculation. That's personally not how I'm going to spend this time. All I can do is wish you the best, and hope that we all end up find something to enjoy about the boy's return in issues 6 and 7 of Superman.
    I was just trying assess the risks and rewards of the status quo change of Jon and that too this sudden(Normal in comics i guess).I still don't think the risk is worth the reward.I read the main superbooks for Clark,not Jon(even though superman book was all about Jon in the previous run,an aspect which i hated).I like what bendis is doing with clark and daily planet.Just don't like his portrayal Lois,Jon(he is not fun) or other league members.So,regardless of what happens to Jon i will continue doing that.

Anyway,Hope for the best

Okay I'm gonna go all Babe Ruth and point to the stands with a theory (shocking, I know lol) that may end up "making" Rogol Zaar for some of us including myself: Rogol Zaar is totally half Kryptonian and Clark just figured it out by playing the investigative journalist in the mold of his wife.

Zaar is totally the Bastard Son Krypton. Few points to my theory: Zaar clearly has a very personal and emotional connection to Krypton, and he's seems hell bent on proving how all Kryptonians are a virus, BUT as we saw in Man Of Steel The Circle made it clear that Krypton hadn't actually committed any crimes, however the Guardian seemed genuinely sorry for Zaar. I think that Guardian knew Zaar's situation, thus his sympathy.

I'm thinking Zaar's Kryptonian father (you know it's gonna be the father) left Zaar alone after his mother died. What did she die from you may ask? Giving birth to Zaar. Remember, Jor-El seemed so sure that of how unlikely a hybrid was, but also extremely sure that Lois, Jon's mother, should've died giving birth to him due to the complication associated. Maybe the space travel ban was already in affect and Zaar's deadbeat parent wasn't trying to get in trouble? And I think Jor-El knew about this because he knew the Kryptonian in question. Jor-El acting as a sort of awful space Ned Stark. But, now there's a Kryptonian half-breed to be accounted for, so he becomes a "ward" of the Circle, and also their very best tool in large scale conflict. THIS is way you can't find his species on even a Green Lantern data base! THIS is part of the reason why he is known far and wide for his power! THIS is why he can take down Superman and Supergirl on Earth at the same time! THIS is why Clark noticed that he was being powered by the sun and wrongly assumed it was his ax!

This also answers the question of how strong these hybrids can be, and puts an interesting spotlight on Jon. It also not only makes him a cracked mirror for Clark (last son vs bastard son) but also Jon (hybrid vs hybrid) too. It also makes him genuinely sympathetic while not making all Kryptonians out to be monsters--just one jerk who couldn't take responsibility.

Also, Zaar's name uses the Kryptonian naming structure. Like I said, I'm on my Babe Ruth sh!t right now. *drops mic. Proceeds to burn it Jimi Hendrix style*
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-14-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Okay I'm gonna go all Babe Ruth and point to the stands with a theory (shocking, I know lol) that may end up "making" Rogol Zaar for some of us including myself: Rogol Zaar is totally half Kryptonian and Clark just figured it out by playing the investigative journalist in the mold of his wife.

Zaar is totally the Bastard Son Krypton. Few points to my theory: Zaar clearly has a very personal and emotional connection to Krypton, and he's seems hell bent on proving how all Kryptonians are a virus, BUT as we saw in Man Of Steel The Circle made it clear that Krypton hadn't actually committed any crimes, however the Guardian seemed genuinely sorry for Zaar. I think that Guardian knew Zaar's situation, thus his sympathy.

I'm thinking Zaar's Kryptonian father (you know it's gonna be the father) left Zaar alone after his mother died. What did she die from you may ask? Giving birth to Zaar. Remember, Jor-El seemed so sure that of how unlikely a hybrid was, but also extremely sure that Lois, Jon's mother, should've died giving birth to him due to the complication associated. Maybe the space travel ban was already in affect and Zaar's deadbeat parent wasn't trying to get in trouble? And I think Jor-El knew about this because he knew the Kryptonian in question. Jor-El acting as a sort of awful space Ned Stark. But, now there's a Kryptonian half-breed to be accounted for, so he becomes a "ward" of the Circle, and also their very best tool in large scale conflict. THIS is way you can't find his spices on even a Green Lantern data base! THIS is part of the reason why he is known far and wide for his power! THIS is why he can take down Superman and Supergirl on Earth at the same time! THIS is why Clark noticed that he was being powered by the sun and wrongly assumed it was his ax!

This also answers the question of how strong these hybrids can be, and puts an interesting spotlight on Jon. It also not only makes him a cracked mirror for Clark (last son vs bastard son) but also Jon (hybrid vs hybrid) too. It also makes him genuinely sympathetic while not making all Kryptonians out to be monsters--just one jerk who couldn't take responsibility.

Also, Zaar's name uses the Kryptonian naming structure. Like I said, I'm on my Babe Ruth sh!t right now. *drops mic. Proceeds to burn it Jimi Hendrix style*
    That makes a lot of sense. Rogol Zar also claimed to have known Jor EL better than Clark himself would have in Man of Steel #4 I believe. And in issue one the Guardian mentions that they think Rogol's judgement is being clouded by his personal history.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-14-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: got the issue # wrong.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'd call all that a reasonable theory but a stretch as a thing you're really sure is gonna happen...except for that yellow sun bit. Because yeah, it comes out of nowhere, but a point is made of Superman at least being certain Zaar gets his powers from the sun in MOS #4. Curious how that'd recontextualize the possibility he's telling the truth about destroying Krypton (which I still doubt), but more pointedly, that does make it more notable that he's repeatedly made a point of intending to hunt down Jon.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Rogol Zar also claimed to have known Jor EL better than Clark himself would have in Man of Steel #3 I believe.
    Yup! And, just for fun, a slight alternative theory is that he could be Clark's half brother. I thought he wore Nuclear Man's house of El cape in irony, but it can be taken to be literal if that is his actual birthright too, you know? Adds fuel to the "you're a jerk, dad" fire that Clark has going for Jor-El. Plus it'd be quite the gut punch, then followed by an actual gut punch to Jor-El from Clark lol

Jon and his "uncle Rogol" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I'd call all that a reasonable theory but a stretch as a thing you're really sure is gonna happen...except for that yellow sun bit. Because yeah, it comes out of nowhere, but a point is made of Superman at least being certain Zaar gets his powers from the sun in MOS #4. Curious how that'd recontextualize the possibility he's telling the truth about destroying Krypton (which I still doubt), but more pointedly, that does make it more notable that he's repeatedly made a point of intending to hunt down Jon.
    Lol I swing for the fences every time.

I'm way less sure on this, but I think he'll be ready to destroy Krypton and go down there and everything, but he'll have come there just when it's about to blow. Jor-El, still trying to save his own son, will force Zaar into the ship or transport he came on just when the place is getting ready to blow (likely as mercy for the sh!t deal the kid got in life), but Zaar will catch enough of the blast to be disfigured. Feeling unfulfilled by this act of celestial "karma" he goes away for a while. When he hears of Clark and other Kryptonians being alive, he's mad, sure, but also kind of happy because now he gets to end things with his own hands.

I just finds it very telling that Clark keeps making a point to contextualize the Phantom Zone as a dropbox for Krypton's past sins. Zaar as the bastard son who came back to set fire to the whole place is fits that bill.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-14-2018 at 12:58 PM.

I'm thinking Zaar's Kryptonian father (you know it's gonna be the father) left Zaar alone after his mother died. What did she die from you may ask? Giving birth to Zaar. Remember, Jor-El seemed so sure that of how unlikely a hybrid was, but also extremely sure that Lois, Jon's mother, should've died giving birth to him due to the complication associated. Maybe the space travel ban was already in affect and Zaar's deadbeat parent wasn't trying to get in trouble? And I think Jor-El knew about this because he knew the Kryptonian in question. Jor-El acting as a sort of awful space Ned Stark. But, now there's a Kryptonian half-breed to be accounted for, so he becomes a "ward" of the Circle, and also their very best tool in large scale conflict. THIS is way you can't find his spices on even a Green Lantern data base! THIS is part of the reason why he is known far and wide for his power! THIS is why he can take down Superman and Supergirl on Earth at the same time! THIS is why Clark noticed that he was being powered by the sun and wrongly assumed it was his ax!

But zaar was said to be noble warrior and was actually liked by the circle,until the genocide.Why would rogol zaar wait for all his existence till then(krypton explosion) to kill the kryptonians?He could have gone after them after he aquired enough strength and maturity.Committing genocide,just because your biological father left seems like little selfish as well as psycotic.But, from the books Rogol it is implied Rogol thinks of himself as this righteous warrior and this genocide as some noble cause,not related himself personally at all.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Yup! And, just for fun, a slight alternative theory is that he could be Clark's half brother. I thought he wore Nuclear Man's house of El cape in irony, but it can be taken to be literal if that is his actual birthright too, you know? Adds fuel to the "you're a jerk, dad" fire that Clark has going for Jor-El. Plus it'd be quite the gut punch, then followed by an actual gut punch to Jor-El from Clark lol

Jon and his "uncle Rogol" lol
    Oh dang, good point on the cape.

But zaar was said to be noble warrior and was actually liked by the circle,until the genocide.Why would rogol zaar wait for all his existence till then(krypton explosion) to kill the kryptonians?He could have gone after them after he aquired enough strength and maturity.Committing genocide,just because your biological father left seems like little selfish as well as psycotic.But, from the books Rogol it is implied Rogol thinks of himself as this righteous warrior and this genocide as some noble cause,not related himself personally at all.
    He may have mouthed off about not being influenced by 'sentiment', but Appa Ali Apsa made very clear he and the Circle knew well Zaar had some kind of personal investment in Krypton.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Well, you have a point and I'll tell you more to add fuel to your theory. Zaar is physically very similar to Doomsday, and we all know that Doomsday is kryptonian (or - to say it better - a kryptonian creature which evolved in a very twisted way).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    He may have mouthed off about not being influenced by 'sentiment', but Appa Ali Apsa made very clear he and the Circle knew well Zaar had some kind of personal investment in Krypton.
    but still,why wait for years.He could have gone after kryptonians after he was grown up.

I like your theory Superlad and it does make a certain amount of sense. Maybe he’s half-Kryptonian and half-czarnian? Would explain why he looks like a Lobo/Doomsday hybrid.

Just reread Man of Steel issue 1 and Zaar's talk with Appa Ali Apsa has a very specific "flavor" to it when put in the context of my theory.

Appa says "It has been decided that your judgement in the matter is clouded by your personal history" But then, in a show of what is clearly sympathy over just respect for his service, Appa says "it is important to us that you know...you are not being ignored."

In my opinion, could be read as something you'd want to make sure your Winder Solder-like super kryptonian hybrid with abandonment issues knows when you tell them no.

He could have gone after them after he aquired enough strength and maturity.
    See that's actually not true. Zaar would have to go through the Circle to do it. He clearly respects them enough to ask their permission. What I'm guessing is that he built a flimsy case full of hypotheticals against them over the years as he grew in standing with the Circle, and then he asked them.

just because your biological father left seems like little selfish as well as psycotic.
    It 100% is, but genocide in any form is never actually justified no matter the reasoning.

Rogol thinks of himself as this righteous warrior and this genocide as some noble cause,not related himself personally at all.
    And that's what any genocidal crazy person feels, but in reality once you peel back the "holy war" bull crap and "they're a plague on us all" foolishness you will 100% of the time find a selfish, scared, and small minded person who needed all of the tones of bull crap and foolishness to get people on their side and justify it for themselves and their ego.

Over in Man of Steel issue 1 Zaar tries to do just that. He presents his case full of hypothetical situations and "justification" but the Circle pretty flatly says "dude, they haven't done anything. What are you talking about? Where's your evidence of literally anything?" and they let him know that he's coming at this from a far more personal place than he lets on. It's all there.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-14-2018 at 02:31 PM.