Page 466 of 613 FirstFirst ... 366416456462463464465466467468469470476516566 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Outstanding!

Not only is it some phenomenal work by Macguire, but from what we can tell it seems to straight up be Clark putting in the work of brokering peace deals and stopping interplanetary conflicts to make the idea of the UP a reality.

I like this as a tangible thing to be worked on in service of better tomorrow.

Hope we get info on "Earth President Superman" soon!
    Maguire’s a good fit for an arc about Supes negotiating, no one does emotional range as well as he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Were there more pages than the one I saw? Because what I saw looked like Clark breaking up a fight.

I mean, yeah maybe that's negotiating a peace deal.....but from the one page I saw that could also be the space bar where Lobo hangs out and Clark's trying to stop two guys from fighting over a girl or something.

Also.....what the hell happened to the last few pages of this thread?
    I tapped out a while back, honestly let’s just leave it be.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Were there more pages than the one I saw? Because what I saw looked like Clark breaking up a fight.
    It totally could be, sure. That's why I didn't say anything definitive. I'm just going off the last few pages of issue 14, and the blurb for the Unity Saga collection (issues 16-21 I believe) about President Superman, so I imagine we're not getting too far away from the space politics even with stories that jump off because Superman lost his fortress.

Slightly related: I reread issue 8 the other night and I was reminded of Clark's strange dream (Zod has a similar one earlier in the run) where "World Peace day" is being celebrated years in the future, and it's all thanks to Clark. I'm ready for that plot point to come back. Zod seems to be getting set up as being closer to the Els, and it's implied to be because of the vision he saw. But then in both we see the Legion come to kill everyone.

I'm wondering if this isn't a "House of M" situation, and we may get some big time travel story out of it?

Also.....what the hell happened to the last few pages of this thread?
    Literally no idea lol
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

It totally could be, sure. That's why I didn't say anything definitive. I'm just going off the last few pages of issue 14, and the blurb for the Unity Saga collection (issues 16-21 I believe) about President Superman, so I imagine we're not getting too far away from the space politics even with stories that jump off because Superman lost his fortress.

Slightly related: I reread issue 8 the other night and I was reminded of Clark's strange dream (Zod has a similar one earlier in the run) where "World Peace day" is being celebrated years in the future, and it's all thanks to Clark. I'm ready for that plot point to come back. Zod seems to be getting set up as being closer to the Els, and it's implied to be because of the vision he saw. But then in both we see the Legion come to kill everyone.

I'm wondering if this isn't a "House of M" situation, and we may get some big time travel story out of it?
    Ah, its out is it? Haven't been to the LCS. Maybe this weekend.

So now that it's out.....does it look as bad as the previews imply? I know those were just the last few pages but, context.

Definitely hoping to see more of this.....political frenemy.....Zod. I've been sorta on the fence about it, because while it's conceptually a fantastic idea (Game of Thrones in Space with the last two Houses of Krypton? F*ck yeah!), this is one of Clark's biggest enemies and that "half-heel turn" type of thing doesn't always work out in the end.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So now that it's out.....does it look as bad as the previews imply? I know those were just the last few pages but, context.

Definitely hoping to see more of this.....political frenemy.....Zod. I've been sorta on the fence about it, because while it's conceptually a fantastic idea (Game of Thrones in Space with the last two Houses of Krypton? F*ck yeah!), this is one of Clark's biggest enemies and that "half-heel turn" type of thing doesn't always work out in the end.
    Having read New Krypton recently, it’s perfectly doable to write Kal and Zod on the same side and yet still be enemies. It sounds contradictory but the two have such different viewpoints that even though they might ally they’re going to be circling each other wearily. That’s assuming Bendis writes Zod well of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Having read New Krypton recently, it’s perfectly doable to write Kal and Zod on the same side and yet still be enemies. It sounds contradictory but the two have such different viewpoints that even though they might ally they’re going to be circling each other wearily. That’s assuming Bendis writes Zod well of course.
    Oh, it's totally do-able; there's enough common ground between El and Zod (wanting to save their race, now having families) to make some kind of tenuous, tension-filled alliance work. It's just whether it *should* be done, if that makes sense? Like, do you get more quality mileage out of this or from him just being a straight up villain? The obvious answer should be "a more complex dynamic means more interesting and numerous story options" but, like I said, taking a villain into morally gray regions hasn't always had the best of effects (this genre is built on binary morality after all, anything in the gray tends to strain things). It's worked for some, like Black Adam and Magneto, but for others (and this happens to Lex every now and then) what you end up with is a weird story that doesn't totally fit, that eventually falls flat and gets undone.

I'm very much intrigued by the spin Bendis is putting on Zod. I think, especially with the idea of Clark's role in the galactic stage and everything Bendis is doing with the Unity Saga and the Legion and UP, there's a mountain of potential here. I'm just not 100% convinced Zod is going to be able to maintain this particular balance. But then, I'm not sure if the franchise can maintain this particular "Earth President" balance (whatever that turns out to even be). We're in uncharted waters, yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oh, it's totally do-able; there's enough common ground between El and Zod (wanting to save their race, now having families) to make some kind of tenuous, tension-filled alliance work. It's just whether it *should* be done, if that makes sense? Like, do you get more quality mileage out of this or from him just being a straight up villain? The obvious answer should be "a more complex dynamic means more interesting and numerous story options" but, like I said, taking a villain into morally gray regions hasn't always had the best of effects (this genre is built on binary morality after all, anything in the gray tends to strain things). It's worked for some, like Black Adam and Magneto, but for others (and this happens to Lex every now and then) what you end up with is a weird story that doesn't totally fit, that eventually falls flat and gets undone.

I'm very much intrigued by the spin Bendis is putting on Zod. I think, especially with the idea of Clark's role in the galactic stage and everything Bendis is doing with the Unity Saga and the Legion and UP, there's a mountain of potential here. I'm just not 100% convinced Zod is going to be able to maintain this particular balance. But then, I'm not sure if the franchise can maintain this particular "Earth President" balance (whatever that turns out to even be). We're in uncharted waters, yknow?
    Well Rogal seems to be an absolute monster, so maybe that lets Zod move into the morally grey area? Really though, when has straight up cartoonishly evil Zod ever been an interesting character? His strongest showing for me was in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel where he was portrayed as somewhat sympathetically, and my favorite Zod story was New Krypton when Zod and El were working together. I do get that it’s really annoying to have a prominent member of Supes Rogues Gallery drift out of villainy, but I don’t expect Zod will stay good and Luthor’s embracing of Doom has let him abandon his anti-hero experiment.

Plus I just think Zod is more interesting as a somewhat sympathetic figure. If Bendis just decides to try to write him as a straight up hero now I wouldn’t enjoy that, but I doubt that’s the plan.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

My bad, I didn't clarify that the preview pages were saw seemed to literarily be the last 4 pages of issue 14, but no it's not out till next week.

I'm kind of all about Zod becoming a political frenemy as opposed to straight up villain. He's one of Superman most recognizable foes, yeah, but "biggest" implies, to me, that he's had a story or movie where I went "damn, what a great foe."

Now that obviously just me, but to me Zod feels more like an obligation as an enemy than a requirement. His ambiguity has regularly been his most interesting aspect when it's presented. The idea that he's a true patriot to his people can be cool.

So when you play up the idea of his patriotism, ambiguity, you due away with the "die son of Jor-El--son of my jailor" chant, and you make him fairly reasonable, he gets interesting.

You give him a family that he clearly cares for that forms real common ground between he and Clark? I get more interested. You make him leader of a planet while making Clark president of Earth, and you throw in the idea of fixing up a United Planets? Well, suddenly I give an actual f#*k about Zod, and the tension of their meetings go up. You remember that they fought side by side in genuine solidarity as the last of a nearly dead race.

I'm personally more interested in dealing with that any potential falling out, than I am with....with....why does Zod even want to punch Clark again? It's an ideological struggle with basically the same goal, right? That sounds more fun as a tense frenemy, imo

I'd 100% say that Zod is more Black Adam and Magneto than Lex "I just irrationally hate Superman" Luthor. Zod legitimately cares for Kryptonian life and wouldn't even have a Lex moment were you realize all of his talk about the dangers of Superman just mask and feelings of inadequacy. Zod is genuine the very same way that Magneto is genuine, so I think he's got far better legs as a frenemy than Lex ever did or would.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Everything Superlad said. DC doesn’t really have a Magneto-type of villain, although Black Adam comes the closest. If Zod can fill that role why not? Sounds way more interesting than trying to copy Terrance Stamp’s more bombastic performance.

Okay, folks, lots of deletions and edits this morning.

1. Real life politics do not belong on this board. Take it to the Community forum if you want to talk about such things.

2. The topic is Bendis' run on Action/Superman, not Batman, billionaires or the real life implication of superhero ethics.

3. Snark and trolling are clear violations of the rules, so knock it off. Don't compare/discuss other posters negatively. Stick to the topic which, to remind everyone again, is Bendis' run on the two books.

4. Don't keep replying to someone, Report someone and then reply to them again. If you think someone is violating in the rules, don't participate in the discussion first. Report, don't reply. That just gives the staff a lot more to clean up.

So let's get back to talking about Superman and family!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, I think even if they do reboot - which I think it getting less and less likely with the way DC is going, the only thing that would likely do would be to cement Jon into the continuity and timeline even more firmly. Superboy as Superman & Lois Lane's kid is a really really simple pitch, especially in other contexts. That's why even Didio loves it, it allows for stuff like Super Sons (the DC Ink version), and stuff like what the CW is doing. The idea that it's to convoluted or the timeline is too difficult doesn't make sense to me either. It's all pretty straight forward unless you're obsessed with continuity. And most readers just aren't the way we are. They wouldn't be launching this this way if they intended to reboot it all next year with Snyder's Crisis. The JSA likely isn't coming back on this Rebirth Earth either from the sound of it.

It's also obvious now why they aged him up to. Having him be older for these stories allows them to hit a lot more story types in the Wonder Comics age bracket which Legion seems to be aiming for even though it's not Wonder Comics, including love interests and stuff, that you just can't really do with a 10 year old.

And really, I kinda have to think the backstory of the Legion just doesn't matter to most readers. It's background noise. Having a Superboy in there probably doesn't really matter either, but this is an attempt to update the traditional version using the current Superboy and it keeps things generally in the Superman family. The inspiration is coming from the heroic age, which is kinda how it was even back in John's reboot if I recall correctly. DC probably loves the idea of being able to tie it into Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, etc. It broadens the appeal. If anything, Clark's origin just isn't going to have Superboy in it anymore. That's been the case for all but like 3 of the last 35 years. Even in the New 52 Morrison ended up erasing the Legion from his past like the rest of the pre-crisis history.
    It makes sense on paper. You get Superboy in LoSH without Superman being Superboy. Normally, i should be very happy. This almost fixes Jon's position in DC. I used to be worried that he would be erased. You get to have the family without having it. It makes too much sense as a step up for Superman brand.

I am not very angry with it. First, i did not grow up reading Superboy and Legion. A part of me likes Superman without Legion. It hurts a bit. But its fine. Superman's time with Legion isn't a make or break thing for me. The thing which really stung was that not only Superman didn't inspire the Legion, he didn't even found the UP. Superman's character does not gain anything by it. Though the brand might have gained something.

I think Superman is still going to found the UP and maybe even be it's first leader. Jon came up with the general idea, and seems to get all the glory. Superman is the one doing all the work making it happen. Superman's Jack Kirby, Jon's Stan Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I completely agree. This is just terrible. Its such a major disappointment, especially after the build up we wet seeing in rebirth with the promise of the legion coming back and the classic Saturn Girl's involvement. I can't solely blame Bendis, Johns has a lot of responsibilityfor this as well sincehe didn't finish doomsday clock. Once again I feel like I'm getting a Legion that has no respect for the actual history and origins of the concept. I never really liked Jon and I feel like he is an anomaly in-universe. I've never wanted another Crisis reboot so bad in my life! If they wanted to have superman have a child they should've earned it and not have shoehorned in an anomaly. They should've shown superman and lois chiming together in the new 52, Getting married again, and then having a child. DC has become such a mess! I liked where this story was going until we got there. I'm so let down.
    Sorry if my tone suggested something different. I would be dead set against a reboot. It was Rebirth which brought me to Superman comics. Notice my wording i might not be completely against a reboot. After lending out some frustration in that post i think i am coming back to an okayish state.

Imo its definitely a loss for Superman's character. I think because i am a relatively new reader i have competing preferences. I have really enjoyed Byrne's run. At the same time the idea of Superman's time with Legion is fantastic. During Rebirth it was fine. As Legion weren't present in any case. But when they are present its weird to see that Superman is not pals with them.

I totally agree that the best way would have been to not do Rebirth. Make the New 52 Superman become like this naturally. Marriage, kid. It can all happen over time. Some would say what to do about Truth. You have cosmic players like Mxy. It makes all sense on paper. But i am not sure how you do it. Comics time is struck in a perptual present. If Jon is 10 years old, then how could he have been born when Superman debuted in Metropolis some seven odd years ago. New 52 started with a 5 year gap. So, i absolutely agree that New 52 should have stayed. We would continue to have that awesome Morrison origin at least
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-23-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I think Superman is still going to found the UP and maybe even be it's first leader. Jon came up with the general idea, and seems to get all the glory. Superman is the one doing all the work making it happen. Superman's Jack Kirby, Jon's Stan Lee.
    I keep hoping for the best. It was simply two lines at the end of a preview. Let's see.

I'd 100% say that Zod is more Black Adam and Magneto than Lex "I just irrationally hate Superman" Luthor. Zod legitimately cares for Kryptonian life and wouldn't even have a Lex moment were you realize all of his talk about the dangers of Superman just mask and feelings of inadequacy. Zod is genuine the very same way that Magneto is genuine, so I think he's got far better legs as a frenemy than Lex ever did or would.
    Oh, I definitely agree that Zod works better for a morally gray character than Lex, any day of any week. Still, comics generally work in that binary morality yknow? Good is good, evil is evil, and characters who can walk that line properly are pretty damn rare.

I do think Bendis can make Zod one of those figures. My question is whether other writers afterwards will be able to as well. But I've also never wanted to see the industry held down by the lowest common denominator so.....screw it, bring it on! Space Game of Thrones it is!

That's a great way of looking at it.

With a little space to breathe and some time to consider things, I *do* think Clark will probably be walking away from this with a much bigger role and greater responsibility and it will expand on his mythos and lore. Not as much as I'd want once you factor in the Jon-Legion stuff, but if this goes the way I'm thinking it will Clark will still come out a little ahead. I'm still not too gods damn happy about Jon getting credit for the UP, that's just unnecessary given his place with the Legion now. But while Clark's not taking the giant steps forward I was hoping and expecting, he still might get some forward movement out of it all, even after factoring in the losses.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-23-2019 at 03:54 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Jim Lee artwork for Millenium (full article here):