Page 487 of 613 FirstFirst ... 387437477483484485486487488489490491497537587 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,305 of 9194
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This is all conjecture and rumor until there are tangible announcements , and there may be a lot being left out of these reports. As of right now though,this sounds like in many ways the deformed interbred love child of "One Year Later" and The New 52 wearing the old discarded rotting flesh of the Marvel now relaunches as a skin suit.

I always try to give new directions and stuff benefit of the doubt, but I literally have no enthusiasm for another reboot,which this is by another method.

I mean,on the surface it's an intriguing idea,but it just feels like Rebirth was literally last week and now here we go tossing it out again for the next thing by the same people in charge of those other things that nearly drove me away from DC comics completely and comics in general just a couple years ago,and frankly I've not fully regained my enthusiasm for the medium and the DC universe, so much so,I'm only right now regularly reading the Superman books,only really because Superman is my favorite character and in a weird way I feel like I'm obligated to.

That obligation ends if they indeed replace Superman with Jon Kent. I like the character. Like both the Rebirth and Bendis era incarnations and think he has potential,but he's not Superman. There is only one Superman and that's Clark Kent/Kal-El. That's not hyperbole. That's not just an opinion. That's a fact. Superman is not a cape and symbol that can be passed around.

Look, maybe I'm wrong there will be good stories that come out of this, and Clark (and his contemporaries Bruce,Diana etc) will still be around and prominent characters in this 5G thing,and maybe Jon will make for an interesting new take on Superman. A situation that would work for me is if Clark remains Superman but on a more cosmic level with his own ongoing while Jon is Superman of Earth with his own book. That set up might be fun for awhile,but as Sacred said above me, as this sounds like now it feels like it's a natural leaving point rather than making me excited for new possibilities. Maybe because I'm getting older and more cynical. Maybe I've just been "shown the door" by the DiDio regime enough times now that I'm finally taking the hint that DC Comics and their characters aren't for me anymore, or maybe I've grown beyond Superheroes in printed form. Maybe it's all of it. I don't really know. All I know is right now,this may end up being how my exit from a world I've been following since I was a kid.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-11-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This is all conjecture and rumor until there are tangible announcements , and there may be a lot being left out of these reports. As of right now though,this sounds like in many ways the deformed interbred love child of "One Year Later" and The New 52 wearing the old discarded rotting flesh of the Marvel now relaunches as a skin suit.

I always try to give new directions and stuff benefit of the doubt, but I literally have no enthusiasm for another reboot,which this is by another method.

I mean,on the surface it's an intriguing idea,but it just feels like Rebirth was literally last week and now here we go tossing it out again for the next thing by the same people in charge of those other things that nearly drove me away from DC comics completely and comics in general just a couple years ago,and frankly I've not fully regained my enthusiasm for the medium and the DC universe, so much so,I'm only right now regularly reading the Superman books,only really because Superman is my favorite character and in a weird way I feel like I'm obligated to.

That obligation ends if they indeed replace Superman with Jon Kent. I like the character. Like both the Rebirth and Bendis era incarnations and think he has potential,but he's not Superman. There is only one Superman and that's Clark Kent/Kal-El. That's not hyperbole. That's not just an opinion. That's a fact. Superman is not a cape and symbol that can be passed around.

Look, maybe I'm wrong there will be good stories that come out of this, and Clark (and his contemporaries Bruce,Diana etc) will still be around and prominent characters in this 5G thing,and maybe Jon will make for an interesting new take on Superman. A situation that would work for me is if Clark remains Superman but on a more cosmic level with his own ongoing while Jon is Superman of Earth with his own book. That set up might be fun for awhile,but as Sacred said above me, as this sounds like now it feels like it's a natural leaving point rather than making me excited for new possibilities. Maybe because I'm getting older and more cynical. Maybe I've just been "shown the door" by the DiDio regime enough times now that I'm finally taking the hint that DC Comics and their characters aren't for me anymore, or maybe I've grown beyond Superheroes in printed form. Maybe it's all of it. I don't really know. All I know is right now,this may end up being how my exit from a world I've been following since I was a kid.
    Which clark do you want as superman ?for that matter who or what is superman? I mean, they are not all the same. There are different versions.you can say at the end of the day they are all clark kents. But two people/characters can have the same name but they are still different people/characters.

Superman at the end of the day is an archetype now. There are many supermen that aren't named or titled "superman" or "clark kent" who are more superman-ish. If i say toshinori yagi or ethan crane is my superman.would it be wrong? . So, does it really matter if the guys name is jon kent. It is a title it can be passed around. Superman doesn't have clear cut characterisation. The character has taken different forms in different eras. The character has different meaning to different people. I mean, when i said superman has a core. He has that core that was set jerry, max and joe in their tenure. People didn't think so and disagreed . But, i do believe they have vague set of ideas for "classic" superman. they differ from people to people. There isn't much consensus on that. I don't know, whether this "classic" superman has the same core/philosophy /values as the guy jerry siegel , max fleischer and joe shuster created. I am still confused regarding the matter.

I have wierd feelings if superman is replaced. i am an avid hater of Bendis's jon. Having said that, He is a blank slate like superman was in first issue of ac#1. Bendis basically overhauled the character. There isn't much left of the kid that was. He can be whatever the author wants him to be. So, if bendis decided to make this blank slate and made him "the man of tomorrow" or "man of action" in characterisation, not just "man of steel" .then, I wouldn't complain . But, ofcourse superman was established as unknown entity in ac#1. His origin was basically 4 or 5 panels. We had basically no idea who superman was or his origin. Just him being a scifi vigilante strongman was established with extra ordinary powers. We know jon better than that atleast.

My question is, Does having the name "clark kent", "kal el" or "superman" make a character "superman" ?for me it doesn't matter. For me if we get precrisis superman from jon kent instead of clark kent without people screaming not "my superman" . I am all for it. I mean, jon is already the superboy that inspired the legion of superheroes. He is the one who formed united planets. His birth parents never got to raise him during his formative years. His "adoptive"(he grows up fighting people that are evil versions of his parents. And in their "care") parents are inverse of the kents "loving parents" to "abusive parents".so, this where i am at regarding the matter.
    It might be controversial. But it is my personal opinion. This has been rather tough ride since bendis took over. I am not hoping for anything.i still think this sucks for the kid right from the age up.
    157078765330096318.jpg
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-11-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Honestly, it is hard to care at this point. Secret Origin, New 52, DCYou, Rebirth, Bendis era and now 5G. Thats 6 major changes in something like 12 years. And it is probably going to tank so 2 years later we'll get another change. Its not like I'm opposed to change, I was a big supporter of New 52, but I'd like them to finally stick with something. Entire decade of Superman stories that amounted to nothing. Sure, story can be good (and often is) even if it ends up not mattering, but many of the recent Superman stories ended up being underwhelming because they were either changed into something else midway or simply dropped for next hot thing.

I was barely following Bendis stuff because it was too much for me already and I really liked Rebirth Jon, but this is probably going to be final nail for me. I'm sure that they'll still release some stand alone mini here and there that will be good and I'll pick it up, but mainline comics? Thanks, but I'm tired already.

Well, the first book announced -sort of- for Generation 1 seems to be a JSA ongoing by Scott Snyder. All set in the late 30's - early 40's.

Which makes me hopeful that each Generation will have some books running, some for every fan of any era. At least it's what I want to believe right now. If it's that, I think it should assuage your concerns a little, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Honestly, it is hard to care at this point. Secret Origin, New 52, DCYou, Rebirth, Bendis era and now 5G. Thats 6 major changes in something like 12 years. And it is probably going to tank so 2 years later we'll get another change. Its not like I'm opposed to change, I was a big supporter of New 52, but I'd like them to finally stick with something. Entire decade of Superman stories that amounted to nothing. Sure, story can be good (and often is) even if it ends up not mattering, but many of the recent Superman stories ended up being underwhelming because they were either changed into something else midway or simply dropped for next hot thing.

I was barely following Bendis stuff because it was too much for me already and I really liked Rebirth Jon, but this is probably going to be final nail for me. I'm sure that they'll still release some stand alone mini here and there that will be good and I'll pick it up, but mainline comics? Thanks, but I'm tired already.
    They just don't know what to do with superman. So, they have been throwing darts and pulling stuff from their assess. The problem started wayy before secret origins.

Yeah, I know that it didn't start with Secret Origins, but I think that with that story things really got into overkill territory.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, I know that it didn't start with Secret Origins, but I think that with that story things really got into overkill territory.
    I’d argue Waid’s Birthright was the first cut, and like everything else continuity wise that goes back to Didio. I don’t give a damn about when stuff happened but I want to know what happened. Was Clark a football star or a nerd loner? Those are two pretty irreconcilably different status quo’s for his Smallville life. If Clark goes back to Smallville does he feel nostalgia for it or is he happy to be free from the place the bullied him? You need a solid origin to answer stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d argue Waid’s Birthright was the first cut, and like everything else continuity wise that goes back to Didio. I don’t give a damn about when stuff happened but I want to know what happened. Was Clark a football star or a nerd loner? Those are two pretty irreconcilably different status quo’s for his Smallville life. If Clark goes back to Smallville does he feel nostalgia for it or is he happy to be free from the place the bullied him? You need a solid origin to answer stuff like that.
    This is why i suggested to split the character in another thread. Otherwise, we will be fighting for our notion of "classic" superman till the end of times and beyond, plus ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is why i suggested to split the character in another thread. Otherwise, we will be fighting for our notion of "classic" superman till the end of times and beyond, plus ultra.
    Yeah unfortunately all these different takes have utterly split the fanbase. It’s kind of amazing that the Superman who has most successfully held on and reconciled all the different takes has been the DCAMU Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah unfortunately all these different takes have utterly split the fanbase. It’s kind of amazing that the Superman who has most successfully held on and reconciled all the different takes has been the DCAMU Superman.
    Even, that had its share of problems. Goldenage power with postcrisis attitude is weird mix and add flight to it becomes boring to look at. These visions for the character Don't exactly go well with each other.

For that cover for Action #1, I have to wonder why Superman is smooshing that car. Is he just mad at the car or pissed off at the rocks?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    For that cover for Action #1, I have to wonder why Superman is smooshing that car. Is he just mad at the car or pissed off at the rocks?
    He was a figure for anti-machinisation. A guy who is as powerful as a machine but still a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Those guys fleeing in terror were criminals who kidnapped Lois so Supes smashed their car to teach them a lesson. Also it looks cool lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, the first book announced -sort of- for Generation 1 seems to be a JSA ongoing by Scott Snyder. All set in the late 30's - early 40's.

Which makes me hopeful that each Generation will have some books running, some for every fan of any era. At least it's what I want to believe right now. If it's that, I think it should assuage your concerns a little, no ?
    I'm not against a JSA book set in the past but I'm a little disappointed we're not getting a modern JSA with Stargirl, Mr. Terrific, Cylcone, etc.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Me too, Frontier. I was so sure they were saving Power Girl to return with the JSA...