Page 480 of 613 FirstFirst ... 380430470476477478479480481482483484490530580 ... LastLast
Results 7,186 to 7,200 of 9194
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Didn't Bendis say something about Val-Zod being a thing in his run?
    He also foreshadowed lois having a girl. At this point who knows what they are up to.

You know at this point in my comic reading career I just don’t really feel anything for that kind of announcement, whether it’s true or not. They will replace the existing characters with new ones and build hype and eventually the old ones come back. It’s not cynicism at this point, it’s a reoccurring pattern.

And you know what I’ll do...honestly I’ll still read them. It all depends on the writer and I’ll probably try to see if any of them can pull off an interesting story. Maybe if it happens I’ll come out of it following the legacy character after their time is up and I’ll look back with fondness. Or Perhaps I’ll look back and go why did they decide to do that and shun the book for a while until it reverts back. Either way I just can’t raise hype or anger, I’m just gonna ride the waves as they come.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Didn't Bendis say something about Val-Zod being a thing in his run?
    No. Someone asked him if he planned on using Val-Zod in his Superman run and Bendis said he might. But I seriously doubt it, Bendis creates new legacy heroes, he doesn’t use existing ones. Rhodey had a super smart black niece over at Marvel who was basically Riri, but Bendis ignored her and created Riri as a total new character to replace Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

"Bleeding Cool understands from comic professional gossip at New York Comic Con this past weekend, spinning out of our reports on the new DC timeline, that it is planned by DC Comics editorial that Jonathan Kent will now return from the 31st Century and the Legion of Super-Heroes to the present day (whenever that is now meant to be) as a young adult.

At that point, I understand that Jonathan Kent will replace his father, and be the new Superman.

And this will be the new status for the Superman comic book titles at DC Comics, Superman, Superman/Batman, Action Comics, Lois Lane, Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen, Justice League and more going forward.

The Superman books are currently written by Brian Bendis, and it looks likely that this is part of his plan going forward. Previously at Marvel Comics, Bendis saw the Ultimate version of Peter Parker, Spider-Man, die and replaced in the role by his creation Miles Morales. Could we be getting a similar story here?

More on this story and other DC Comics plans from Bleeding Cool today."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...man-dc-comics/
    I think even people who begrudge the changes Bendis has made to Jon could learn to at least tolerate it, but having him outright replace Clark would be a bridge too far in my opinion.

But if it's in an AU, Ultimate-style, book...well, I guess that wouldn't ruffle as many feathers.

Would Bendis really repeat himself so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think even people who begrudge the changes Bendis has made to Jon could learn to at least tolerate it, but having him outright replace Clark would be a bridge too far in my opinion.

But if it's in an AU, Ultimate-style, book...well, I guess that wouldn't ruffle as many feathers.

He’s repeatedly namedropped the Ultimate Universe in regards to what his plans are with Jon and LoSH so yeah he would.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s repeatedly namedropped the Ultimate Universe in regards to what his plans are with Jon and LoSH so yeah he would.
    But that was very specific insofar as he meant that he was basically writing an "Ultimate Legion" book. He goes on to clarify that it has to do with taking inspiration from the best aspects of Legion publication, and remixing them for a modern readership/generation. That was what the Ultimate books were about, and what they did.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That is assuming people who got mad with jon being aged are the same as the once who will be getting their feathers ruffled. No, thsy aren't. Ofcourse there will be overlaps. But, the prior is primarily jon fans and the second will be superman fans.
    Me, if this happens in the main universe. I will be getting my popcorn ready for the big show.this will be bigger than jon creating united planets and taking the legion entirely from clark. So, the fan reactions will be greater still.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-07-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But that was very specific insofar as he meant that he was basically writing an "Ultimate Legion" book. He goes on to clarify that it has to do with taking inspiration from the best aspects of Legion publication, and remixing them for a modern readership/generation. That was what the Ultimate books were about, and what they did.
    Yeah, there's a difference between taking a similar approach rather then outright repeating oneself.

Like, Bendis outing a prominent Superhero's identity would be somewhat repeating himself.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Like, Bendis outing a prominent Superhero's identity would be somewhat repeating himself.
    That's a much broader idea than the very specific Ultimate approach, so I can't agree you. The specifics would matter quite a bit. It's like saying a writer is repeating themselves when they have a character fall in love.

That said, there are easily traceable themes that a remixed in Bendis' work like a lot of other writers.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...-dc-comics-5g/

So apparently it starts with Wonder Woman in November 2020 or 2021. This again, sounds like it's shaping up to be an imprint or something along those lines, rather than a line wide change.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's a much broader idea than the very specific Ultimate approach, so I can't agree you. The specifics would matter quite a bit. It's like saying a writer is repeating themselves when they have a character fall in love.

That said, there are easily traceable themes that a remixed in Bendis' work like a lot of other writers.
    Fair enough, but I think it's a major enough premise in Superhero fiction to be noticeable, versus just approaching something similarly to how you handled another comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...-dc-comics-5g/

So apparently it starts with Wonder Woman in November 2020 or 2021. This again, sounds like it's shaping up to be an imprint or something along those lines, rather than a line wide change.
    I love how they're still not giving love to the sidekicks .

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That is assuming people who got mad with jon being aged are the same as the once who will be getting their feathers ruffled. No, thsy aren't. Ofcourse there will be overlaps. But, the prior is primarily jon fans and the second will be superman fans.
    Me, if this happens in the main universe. I will be getting my popcorn ready for the big show.this will be bigger than jon creating united planets and taking the legion entirely from clark. So, the fan reactions will be greater still.
    Not for me - I'm in that overlap group, I guess. I don't even like Clark being Superboy and didn't like the Jon age up and put in the Legion. I've said before - strips away who he is to make him a Clark-standin. I have similar issues with Kon in Smallville being raised by Clark's parents. Both are just sticking them in Clark's place as filler and losing what made the character unique.

I do not like WW instead of Superman as first hero (also want JSA on other earth), but can't get worked up over Clark's role being handed over to another in this circumstance (if it actually happens) because it has "temporary" written all over it.

I love how they're still not giving love to the sidekicks .
    What's really weird is the mixed generations. Now, Jon is a sidekick. In the years I most liked, Kon never was. He was his own, independent spin-off hero. Kara, on the other hand....

No ideas on the others.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ok now I know Rich is either making stuff up or misinterpreting what he’s heard. DC has never been more gun shy about controversy yet you’re telling me they plan to replace their entire line of heroes, including characters like WW and Aquaman who have movies coming soon? Bull. This is going to be an “Ultimate” type set up or it’s not happening. Didio, the guy who has gone out of his way to put the mainstays above the legacies is going to swap the main guys out for their legacies all together? Yeah no.
    Shall we revisit this in, say, a year's time? As I have stated, this is not about legacies. And the person who put the mainstays above? Geoff Johns. So anyway... care to make it interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    What's really weird is the mixed generations. Now, Jon is a sidekick. In the years I most liked, Kon never was. He was his own, independent spin-off hero. Kara, on the other hand....
    Well, he was kind of his dad's sidekick during the Rebirth era. At least a little.

All I can say is if it happens, it will finally be what will make me walk away. I definitely will not be around for this if it occurs.

Again, if this occurs, the only thing that would keep me around would be another Earth where the mainstays were as they belong. Barring that though, and I've been barking up that tree for years but its just not something DC seems to entertain, I'd be out like trout.

I'm aware such a thing wouldn't last. In fact I'd expect it to fall flat on its face and have to be reverted before planned to end, but things are becoming harder and harder to stay invested in and I just don't know if I have it in me to wait around for a horrendous idea of this magnitude to end.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-07-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El