Page 160 of 613 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 9194

Outside of WW, the DCEU is a complete and utter disaster. My ambivalence toward Johns when it comes Superman in the comics, would not apply to the movies.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lee's a wild card, but if I'm to be selfish for a moment I'm happy Superman won't be beholden to any Johns ideas going forward.
    I'm not. I honestly hope this leads to another Johns Superman run down the line.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

In regards to Jon's growth spurt and possible aging up: imo, unlikely.

Super Sons is remarkably popular and so long as Damian is alive and 13 then Jon will be of comparable status. As others have said, I think this is Bendis opting for a new costume. I also think narratively speaking it's to signify growing from the old and comfortable status quo and having to roll with the punches of a new one.

I'm pretty down for these "crazy huge" plans he has for Jon in the more bombastic, wide angle Superman book.

I wonder if Bendis plans on somehow splitting the focus so Jon gets cut aways to whatever he's doing in Superman, and Lois gets cut aways to whatever she's doing in Action comics? Felt like I knew what Bendis was going for but he seems to be keeping me on my toes lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It seems that DC's future is in launching new imprints every six-months.

My hat is hanging on the fact that unlike Johns, hopefully Lee just doesn't bother with Superman much, honestly, heh. Hopefully Lee just doesn't have that desire to show up occasionally and leave a major (negative) mark with the character and leaves it to others. That would really be the nicest thing he could do. But yeah, like I said that's the selfish, singular mindset of being a Superman fan primarily. Looking at the totality of the DCU? I dunno either.

As far as Johns though, if he's focusing more on writing, maybe eventually he'll actually get around to doing a run again on some of the properties he's best with.
    I agree with you about Lee; we've got new editors and Bendis is supposed to hang around for at least a year. I just hope that Lee makes sure the new editors can do their jobs right, and then stays the hell away from Clark.

It seems to me that the more WB/DC management involve themselves in Superman, the lower the quality plummets.

As for the movie side of things.....I don't care. Until new people come into WB I have damn little reason to think a few different people on DC's end will make a difference. Any good ideas will be over-ruled by WB suits who don't get the IP's they're fiddling with.

And for me on a personal level, the worst case scenario is Johns' new production company actually starts churning out quality DC films. He'll do fine with the C-listers or the Lanterns or whoever. But eventually his attention will swing around to the Trinity and a movie about any of those three under the eye of Johns? That's not something I have any interest in unless he convinces Grant Morrison to do the screen play and oversee every single aspect of production and filming. Johns being the power behind a Superman movie might as well kill everything I love about Superman, and it'll do far more damage than another brief run on the comics where he f**ks things up and then leaves the mess behind him for the next guy to clean up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It seems that DC's future is in launching new imprints every six-months.
    This doesn't bother me in the least. Please, give us lots of imprints where these characters can be explored in different ways that strict adherence to a single continuity won't allow.

I just hope these imprints find different distribution models. It'd be a massive waste to limit stuff like Ink, Zoom, and Black Label to the direct market. Throw that stuff online and in book stores as OGN's!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But eventually his attention will swing around to the Trinity and a movie about any of those three under the eye of Johns?
    Johns helped re-writing the WW movie and he's involved with the sequel too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I'm not. I honestly hope this leads to another Johns Superman run down the line.
    To each their own of course. I just don't feel his Superman at all anymore. His last run was pretty terrible outside of one good moment, and JRJR's lone writing credit of that run was better than any issue Johns put out, IMO. Down the line I hope they stick with Bendis, with him maybe giving up one book eventually and landing someone like Seeley for the other.

That said, its still very early. Perhaps I eventually sour on Bendis. He's had a fantastic start but it is indeed just a start. But I like to be optimistic, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Johns helped re-writing the WW movie and he's involved with the sequel too.
    Exactly. Johns is currently party to the DCEU's one and only unanimous successes, and WB's only unanimous superhero successes since The Dark Knight. He was apparently enough of an asset that he's now just straight up writing the sequel.

I'd be down for some of that to come Superman's way. Again, dude seems like he's been on a passion fueled, "hold mah beer", one-man-mission to elevate DC characters. The movie Superman could very much use some passion. I mean for goodness sake we can't even get a confirmation on a sequel yet. So sign me up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Exactly. Johns is currently party to the DCEU's one and only unanimous successes, and WB's only unanimous superhero successes since The Dark Knight. He was apparently enough of an asset that he's now just straight up writing the sequel.
    Now that I think about it, Johns has also rewritten JL, so he is also part of the biggest DCEU's failure.

I'd be down for some of that to come Superman's way. Again, dude seems like he's been on a passion fueled, "hold mah beer", one-man-mission to elevate DC characters. The movie Superman could very much use some passion. I mean for goodness sake we can't even get a confirmation on a sequel yet. So sign me up.
    I don't want every character written by the same guy and Johns doesn't seems the right guy for Superman.

What about Bendis as consultant? After just two issue, I think his run could potentially be used as inspiration for a Superman movie.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Now that I think about it, Johns has also rewritten JL, so he is also part of the biggest DCEU's failure.
    Well that whole movie was a sort of perfect storm of "you're gonna have a bad time" for the the people involved lol

I don't want every character written by the same guy and Johns doesn't seems the right guy for Superman.
    He doesn't have to write it. In fact I doubt he would, but I'd like to see his production company produce it and have him look after its development and links to the DCEU. In an advisory role I think Johns is pretty darn strong and very accommodating.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Johns should stay away from the Trinity, but he seems to have a solid handle on almost everything else. I'm sorry to see him step down.
    In an ideal world, Johns would be in charge of everything in the DCU except the Trinity. Superman and Batman would be Morrison's domain, and Grant would "share custody" with Rucka on Wonder Woman.

Mighty Member

This doesn't bother me in the least. Please, give us lots of imprints where these characters can be explored in different ways that strict adherence to a single continuity won't allow.

I just hope these imprints find different distribution models. It'd be a massive waste to limit stuff like Ink, Zoom, and Black Label to the direct market. Throw that stuff online and in book stores as OGN's!
    Anybody who wants to continue to read comics about DC characters long-term should have that same mindset. I give DC tons of credit for seeing which way the wind is blowing and being active. Limited runs, seasonal models and OGN's are the way of the future. Sana Amanat got some flak for saying she wants to cultivate Marvel as a brand but I think she was exactly right and imprints and popups are a great way to do that.

I don't see a big difference coming under Lee as opposed to Johns. Unless their boss and that person's boss and several more levels of bosses change I don't see much changing at DC. Johns and now Lee seem like front men and I wonder how much power they really have.

To each their own of course. I just don't feel his Superman at all anymore. His last run was pretty terrible outside of one good moment, and JRJR's lone writing credit of that run was better than any issue Johns put out, IMO. Down the line I hope they stick with Bendis, with him maybe giving up one book eventually and landing someone like Seeley for the other.

That said, its still very early. Perhaps I eventually sour on Bendis. He's had a fantastic start but it is indeed just a start. But I like to be optimistic, lol.
    I don't think Johns' last Superman run was that bad (I actually think it was one of the bright points of the New 52 era of Superman), but as you said, to each their own. I am happy with Bendis for now, down the line could be 2-3 years away.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    While I obviously can't tell what he's feeling from this small press release, I get the vibe that Johns is happy, and that's really good to hear. Not to be too presumptuous but he seemed less enthusiastic as CCO. Now, like most creators seem to endeavor to do, he's doing the Bendis model: imprint where you have your freedom. He's basically doing what he became famous for: taking lesser known characters and making them relevant. Plus, he's writing Shazam.

The other big news is his production company that's putting out the GLC movie, and he's writing it based on his comics. I'm probably most interested in this news. Seems like Johns wants to basically build the DCEU with his own two hands starting with Wonder Woman 2 and GLC. Imma be real with y'all, I'd love it if he snagged the next Superman movie and got to produce it. Johns isn't my favorite creator, but right now dude seems like he's on a mission to elevate DC from all sides, and I'd be down to see Superman get some of that passion in the movies.

As for Lee taking the CCO position: I genuinely don't care.
    Johns Brainiac was great so I wouldn’t mind him writing a movie adaption of that. It does look like Bendis is going to have a lot of freedom to do his thing. I hope he can thrive, he’s doing good so far.