Page 550 of 613 FirstFirst ... 50450500540546547548549550551552553554560600 ... LastLast
Results 8,236 to 8,250 of 9194

Lois Lane #9 preview

https://www.cbr.com/lois-lane-9/

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I love the jacket when it's just a basic leather jacket with the shield on the back. This thing we have now, with all the spikes and patches? It reminds me of growing up in the late 80's and 90's. Those of us who grew up "rough," from families of bikers and metalheads, wore leather jackets without any extra crap on them. Other kids had to have the spikes and chains and patches. But those kids normally had a lot more money, came from better, unbroken homes, and weren't (in our eyes) legit. The "legit" kids were too poor (and too uncaring) for all the extra glitz.

I'm sure it was different in different towns and areas. I'm just speaking of personal experience. But where I was from (and it was a real sh*thole place), the real badasses didn't need crap on their jackets to look cool or badass, and the kids who did were laughed at for trying too hard. Of course, I'm getting close to 40 now, so what was cool when I was a kid doesn't have much bearing on today.
    One thing I realized after wearing Naruto gloves with the metal plates on the back of the hand is just how hard it is to get stuff out of your pockets while wearing them... A lot of things look "cool" only because they're stupidly impractical

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I love the jacket when it's just a basic leather jacket with the shield on the back. This thing we have now, with all the spikes and patches? It reminds me of growing up in the late 80's and 90's. Those of us who grew up "rough," from families of bikers and metalheads, wore leather jackets without any extra crap on them. Other kids had to have the spikes and chains and patches. But those kids normally had a lot more money, came from better, unbroken homes, and weren't (in our eyes) legit. The "legit" kids were too poor (and too uncaring) for all the extra glitz.

I'm sure it was different in different towns and areas. I'm just speaking of personal experience. But where I was from (and it was a real sh*thole place), the real badasses didn't need crap on their jackets to look cool or badass, and the kids who did were laughed at for trying too hard. Of course, I'm getting close to 40 now, so what was cool when I was a kid doesn't have much bearing on today.
    For what it's worth, I think Conner's look is currently (for lack of a better term) faux-punk; it's what most people think the punk era was supposed to be. I think it is trying too hard and that's what I like about it. He's young, and if I remember anything from my youth, all my classmates wanted one thing-- to be seen as adults. They'd smoke, dress differently, drink-- whatever they thought was the adult thing to do just because they weren't supposed to yet. I can't think of anything more "youth in revolt" than trying way too hard to be cool. Granted, I was never cool, but even then I found it so comically pathetic I just couldn't take it seriously. I'm 30, but I remember as a child that those kinds of jackets were what we thought the underground punk scene was about (you'd see them in Hot Topics, which were goth back then, and on TV but rarely in person). You never really saw it except from, well, people trying way too hard. So you're not far off given my experiences either, though I do see a resurgence to some degree in younger people, it's very much in that retro throwback manner.

I like Conner, but I also like the idea that in a world with a Superman, Supergirl and Superboy, he has no real idea who to even be and is just going hard in some half-hearted direction. The jacket was always a good look, but the excessive stuff on it is very much late teens/early twenties self-indulgence. For what it's worth, that sort of thing seems pretty popular and Conner strikes me as the kind of kid who would totally have an insanely popular instagram account if he ever had the time to set one up. I think he'd do fine.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-02-2020 at 02:41 AM.

Conner's entire ethos is "trying way to hard." That's like his most consistent personality trait over the entire course of his existence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Conner's look is currently (for lack of a better term) faux-punk; it's what most people think the punk era was supposed to be. I think it is trying too hard and that's what I like about it. He's young, and if I remember anything from my youth, all my classmates wanted one thing-- to be seen as adults. They'd smoke, dress differently, drink-- whatever they thought was the adult thing to do just because they weren't supposed to yet. I can't think of anything more "youth in revolt" than trying way too hard to be cool. Granted, I was never cool, but even then I found it so comically pathetic I just couldn't take it seriously. I'm 30, but I remember as a child that those kinds of jackets were what we thought the underground punk scene was about (you'd see them in Hot Topics, which were goth back then, and on TV but rarely in person). You never really saw it except from, well, people trying way too hard. So you're not far off given my experiences either, though I do see a resurgence to some degree in younger people, it's very much in that retro throwback manner.

I like Conner, but I also like the idea that in a world with a Superman, Supergirl and Superboy, he has no real idea who to even be and is just going hard in some half-hearted direction. The jacket was always a good look, but the excessive stuff on it is very much late teens/early twenties self-indulgence. For what it's worth, that sort of thing seems pretty popular and Conner strikes me as the kind of kid who would totally have an insanely popular instagram account if he ever had the time to set one up. I think he'd do fine.
    This. Didn't he have a YouTube page or something in the Return of Supermen?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Conner's look is currently (for lack of a better term) faux-punk; it's what most people think the punk era was supposed to be.
    Gods when did I get old enough for kids to be emulating what they thought my youth was like?

Im not even that old yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Conner's entire ethos is "trying way to hard." That's like his most consistent personality trait over the entire course of his existence.
    Ha! You're not wrong!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Gods when did I get old enough for kids to be emulating what they thought my youth was like?

Im not even that old yet!

Ha! You're not wrong!
    Eh, it's usually the generation ahead of you that's cool, so you realistically only need to be 4-6 years older. Obviously there's retro throwbacks, but the threshold in my experience was one level of school above or higher until post-grad.

So is it controversial to say Smashes the Klan is arguably the best Superman we've had since All-Star?

Because I'd believe it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Do we know how many issues there is because I'm basically waiting to collect before I can read it?

So is it controversial to say Smashes the Klan is arguably the best Superman we've had since All-Star?

Because I'd believe it.
    I'd say that's a fair statement, all things considered.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Do we know how many issues there is because I'm basically waiting to collect before I can read it?
    The trade comes out in May, if you are talking about the klan story.

Because I'd believe it.
    It and American Alien I’d say are up there for sure. I really hope it sells well. One of the WW books aimed at kids sold over 200k copies, so I’m really hopeful this will sell in that same ballpark.

Smashes the Klan is definitely up there with All Star and Secret Identity for the best Superman stories in the last 20 years. It'll be an evergreen trade.

The TPB should get a wider release for schools and libraries. The Harley Quinn, Raven, and Beast Boy books have all been extremely successful for the younger reader imprint. I would definitely like a deluxe over-sized hardcover version of it as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It and American Alien I’d say are up there for sure. I really hope it sells well. One of the WW books aimed at kids sold over 200k copies, so I’m really hopeful this will sell in that same ballpark.
    Was American Alien the one with Batman as Blackrock? That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Only 3, and they're all out now. The trade, as DragonPiece said, is in May.

Buy it. It is absolutely worth it. If Pixar did Golden Age Superman, it'd be Smashes the Klan. Fantastic story (aimed at kids, bear in mind).

Hell, buy two copies!

~ Black Panther.