Page 13 of 613 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Bendis wrote a lot of the Cyclops Mutant Revolution related X-Men books. If he could bring a little bit of that dynamic to Superman, we are in for a treat. Some of Cyclop's speeches and letters from that era were the most energized I could get from reading a comic book- whether I agreed with what he was saying or not. And, of course, Superman is the perfect character to do that type of thing with, because he stands for something and is an icon.

I've often thought bringing a little bit of Cyclops in general to the Superman character would make him better (Not necessarily Cyclops in his final days, Cyclops in general). I don't see Clark Kent as a Scott Summers type out of costume, but I do see Superman as a potential Cyclops type *in* costume, you know?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-01-2018 at 03:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Bendis wrote a lot of the Cyclops Mutant Revolution related X-Men books. If he could bring a little bit of that dynamic to Superman, we are in for a treat. Some of Cyclop's speeches and letters from that era were the most energized I could get from reading a comic book- whether I agreed with what he was saying or not. And, of course, Superman is the perfect character to do that type of thing with, because he stands for something and is an icon.
    Rightsupes? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That says more about fans of creators than the runs or ideas, though. Outside of Grant Morrison and Jim Lee, those eras were specifically average in sales.

This board seems to be pretty exceptional in its disdain for the current books and how quick people are to throw the rest of the 80 years so far under the bus for the sake of putting Action volume 2 on a pedestal. But that's alright. I think we're now in the same boat regarding the Bendis Takeover, hopefully we finally move past "mine rules yours sucks" regarding the direction of the line.
    So Jurgans Tomasi and Gleason were the necessary rebound relationship? lol
    I almost always feel the opposite about the books as the more regular posters on this board but if we go to was the story and art good over new 52 vs rebirth acceptance stage of loss this place will be more sunny.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    One of my problems with the Rebirth Era is that it felt like the two books were just not complimenting each other and not really existing in the same space. I like the approach each was taking on thought they would read a lot better together then they were. One thing Bendis can do is juggle two books that are related and I think his strengths work well with a solo character with a well developed supporting cast.
    I disagree with this. Jurgens and Tomasi compliminted each other well, Jurgens doing most of the new 52 aftermath while Tomasi focused on Superman being a family man. I'd say you are thinking of the new 52 era where the action comics book and the superman book couldn't be further apart in terms of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I was 13 then ...So do the math!
    Oh man now I feel old...I was 20.

Hopefully Bendis will knock it out of the park, I've only ready some of his Avengers and Daredevil runs, both have been pretty good so far.

But I am a bit sad to see Jurgens and Tomasi/Gleason go. I thought they had above average runs on their books.
    Last edited by hsalf; 02-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hsalf View Post
    Oh man now I feel old...I was 20
    I was 23 back then.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I mean, I'm super into the idea of getting some new blood into the Superman world, but far beyond that I'm really happy for this quote: "and each will have a different approach and tone. While the main Superman title will be an adventure-driven book, Action Comics will delve into Clark Kent's daily life." The books haven't had this basic level of distinction for like ever, and the idea that one person is at the helm controlling how fine a distinction is really dope.
    The two books are currently pretty distinct.

And they were completely different animals for most the The New 52, until they started crossing over toward the end.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

After reflecting on the article and this thread I think my positives are

Tom King will not be taking on Action or Superman, the best of Bendis was his early work under strong editorial control so new to the company is hopefully a plus, the art will surly be top notch.

Negatives would be the loss of the current writers who's voices I will miss, and the hinted at the villain you never knew about from the origin speaking to the early intent to change cannon rather than just building from when he joins the books. A flaw for BMB to be sure.

Astonishing Member

Best to adopt a wait and see approach. Bendis can be a great writer. His runs on Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man and Alias are a testament to that fact. I have been a vocal detractor of his recent work over the past few years. That was because I knew how good he can be. However, I recognize that he had written every character over at Marvel. He had nothing new to bring to the table. Which is why he became stagnant: He was exhausted creatively.

The switch to DC gives him a whole new landscape to play with. In fact, it may just be what the doctor ordered. The move could be the spark that reignites him creatively. A similar thing happened when Byrne made the jump from Marvel to DC. Also, we have to bare in mind that Johns is also remaining the Chief Creative Officer. So anything that Bendis writes will have been run past, and vetted by, him first.

Since Rebirth started, Action has been the title that has focused more on the life of the Kents and has been the title featuring his extensive supporting cast. So that looks to be continuing under Bendis. Superman looks to be the one featuring Superman being a hero. Most likely doing the big, bombastic set pieces. Both titles look to be giving us both sides. Presenting a full picture of Superman each month. They seem like they will compliment each other. Which is a good thing.

I have a feeling Bendis will write Action like he did with The Pulse over at Marvel.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. We will all know which Bendis we are getting come Action #1000.

Not a fan of Bendis at all. I did enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man, but nothing since then. I may give Superman 1 a try?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I didn't know they were shown the door as I quit the books mostly with Funeral for a Friend, was it a nasty split or just abrupt?
    Long story short,the editor at the time Joey Calvieri was replaced by Eddie Berganza who immediately hired Waid, Millar and Morrison to take over the books based on their Superman 2000 pitch. All well and good,.But as it turned out Mike Carlin was on vacation while this was going on. He was furious and scuttled the plan because he was still loyal to Jurgens and Simonson, but it was too late. Eventually the books went to Jeph loeb and Joe Kelly. All happened in 1999.

Keep in mind that's a cliff notes version. You can Google the Superman 2000 pitch and get a more nuanced rundown.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-01-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Long story short,the editor at the time Joey Calvieri was replaced by Eddie Berganza who immediately hired Waid, Millar and Morrison to take over the books based on their Superman 2000 pitch. All well and good,.But as it turned out Mike Carlin was on vacation while this was going on. He was furious and scuttled the plan because he was still loyal to Jurgens and Simonson, but it was too late. Eventually the books went to Jeph loeb and Joe Kelly. All happened in 1999.
    What is a shame, that Superman 2000 would have been something. Is sad when this kind o politics ruins what was a good idea. Maybe if they had bring Jurgens to their plans instead of axing him...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This sounds like the biggest revamp of the character since John Byrne was given the creative steering wheel in '86. From the sounds of it, Man of Steel '18 will serve the same purpose as the '86 mini did, giving a broad strokes overview of Superman's history to get new and old readers up to speed for the new era. However, this time, it appears the foundation will be built upon all the past stories, rather than a fresh reboot that tosses out everything that came before.

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Making Superman the straight-up mainstream superhero title while Action focuses more on Clark, Lois and the Daily Planet is a smart move. Characters like Jimmy, Perry and Ron Troupe have needed to be fleshed out more for years now. Steve Lombard needs to be more than a one-note joke that wasn't very funny the first time. He's less of a character than a laundry list of traits that have annoyed his various writers.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lois, Perry, and Jimmy absolutely. Alice, Ron, Lucy, sure. everyone else can be replaced imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So Jurgans Tomasi and Gleason were the necessary rebound relationship? lol
    pretty much. I agree with Truman Burbank in that I considered Superman plagued with fast and loose creators basically getting into wild flings, keeping him from his friends, putting his face up in the paparazzi, and then randomly ditching him at some party in the hills. there's an underappreciated necessity to the work Rebirth put down.

I'd have liked King on the other book as a complement to Bendis, but I like the crazy wonder of speculation about the upcoming takeover.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

I've often thought bringing a little bit of Cyclops in general to the Superman character would make him better (Not necessarily Cyclops in his final days, Cyclops in general). I don't see Clark Kent as a Scott Summers type out of costume, but I do see Superman as a potential Cyclops type *in* costume, you know?
    Yeah, while the contrived possessed by Phoneix and killing Xavier backstory was a bummer, I did really enjoy Bendis's take on Cyclops during his run. He had truly become the civil rights leader that he was meant to be. It's unfortunate that the various editorial nonsense made much of X-Men run feel like spinning wheels, but I certainly enjoyed it at the time.

I also thoroughly enjoyed his Doctor Doom/Infamous Iron Man run. Fans of Lex Luthor are in for a treat, I think.