Page 449 of 613 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459499549 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,735 of 9194

Thoughts:

- Well, the Invisible Mafia is finally out in the open so I guess things might finally be wrapping up there? A little? Maybe? I kinda hope Naomi doesn't steal Clark's win against Red Cloud.

- The Super Sons issue will probably be the real test as far as whether Bendis can write Damian.

- So Superman has "President Supes," what's the big status quo change in Action? What happens to the Planet or Clark's job?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Ha! Just realized that David Lafuente is on art for Superman issue 16. He teamed up with Bendis for a run on Ultimate Spider-Man near the end of its run. Not only is it dope to see Bendis' connections coming through on the Superman books again, but it's also kind of ironic (intentional?) since Jon's going to be on what Bendis feels is his DC equivalent to Ultimate Spider-Man. Maybe this issue is him getting back to flexing those muscles again? The closest he's come is Naomi, in some ways, but it'll be great to see some of it applied to a Super Sons adventure/reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No, it’s something. Not a big deal so much as a curiosity. Like I said, it’s not the first time something like this has happened. Just curious why it is happening.
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's just to sort of "soft lock" Jon's age at "older teen." But like I said, that's what it seems like to me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lafuente is a really pleasant guest. Romita Jr taking a third crack is also pretty cool, but I hope he finally adds some bulk onto his Superman.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Extremely hyped for these books, extremely the opposite of hyped by Superman #17's fun gimmick Silver Age "whaaaaaaaat?!" cover definitely prompting another round of declarations that Bendis is consciously out to destroy Superman and/or Lois Lane forever.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Lafuente is a really pleasant guest.
    I remember being so upset when Lafuente took over art for Ultimate Spider-Man. It's was only on a reread that I really started to appreciate how much I enjoyed the art rather than just crossing my arms and going "this is different." I'm so legitimately hype for this little one-shot story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    extremely the opposite of hyped by Superman #17's fun gimmick Silver Age "whaaaaaaaat?!" cover definitely prompting another round of declarations that Bendis is consciously out to destroy Superman and/or Lois Lane forever.
    Shhhhh, I didn't post it, so they can't know.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extremely hyped for these books, extremely the opposite of hyped by Superman #17's fun gimmick Silver Age "whaaaaaaaat?!" cover definitely prompting another round of declarations that Bendis is consciously out to destroy Superman and/or Lois Lane forever.
    I love silly and/or outright deceiving covers. Its a time honored tradition that need go nowhere, so I'm glad they're still utilizing them.

My only real concern is the Batman/Superman storyline. I mean, they can't be going there AGAIN can they? My strong hope is that this all-new yet all-same possessed Superman thing is a con by both Clark and Bruce to get inside. I think its likely. A lot of fans have noticed that in the promo image of the storyline, where TBWL is manipulating the characters like chess pieces, 6 characters are touching their faces, and 3 of them are already confirmed to be possessed. If that's the major clue then there's your Secret Six and its likely Superman is not really infected at all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Shhhhh, I didn't post it, so they can't know.

Seriously, I like the cover! It’s some kind of obvious swerve, so have fun with it. Reis draws a good Lois. And the reflection on the kryptonite is pretty cool too. Bendis has earned my general trust at this point. I’m enjoying his Lois.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-22-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Also speaking of Lois, I forgot this one

EVENT LEVIATHAN #5
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by ALEX MALEEV
    variant cover by DAVID MACK
    From the Eisner Award-winning team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev, it’s the reveal of the biggest mystery of the summer. Who is Leviathan? And what is their true goal? You’re going to find out here! Plus, Lois Lane had a whole other team working this story the entire time, and—oh man!—someone found something!
    ON SALE 10.09.19

Mighty Member

If I had to guess, I'd say it's just to sort of "soft lock" Jon's age at "older teen." But like I said, that's what it seems like to me.
    Doubt it. There wouldn't be so much specificity if that were the case. Plus, there's already been a pattern of inconsistency (scar, alien slang, etc), which this seems to line up with. Is Bendis backtracking on things due to either pressure or indecision? Is editorial asking him to make changes after the fact? Or is he just not keeping tracking of what he's done? It's interesting. I'd be curious what his thought process was.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Seriously, I like the cover! It’s some kind of obvious swerve, so have fun with it. Reis draws a good Lois. And the reflection on the kryptonite is pretty cool too. Bendis has earned my general trust at this point. I’m enjoying his Lois.
    Well played.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Doubt it. There wouldn't be so much specificity if that were the case. Plus, there's already been a pattern of inconsistency (scar, alien slang, etc), which this seems to line up with. Is Bendis backtracking on things due to either pressure or indecision? Is editorial asking him to make changes after the fact? Or is he just not keeping tracking of what he's done? It's interesting. I'd be curious what his thought process was.
    I can't really pretend to know one way or the other, but if I had to guess things like the alien slang will likely be back. I mean, he's going to the far future to join a team literally full of aliens. I have to assume that was part of the point for adding the slang in the first place. It not being part of the last 3 issues he's been in doesn't really say anything for sure, I don't think. No guesses on the scar. It could be an in story reason to make some sort of point? It could be to show how advanced future tech is? The Legion might heal the scar because Jon, as both Superboy and the son of Superman, is a celerity of the highest order, and they're healing the scar to keep up the whole invincible idea behind the El family? Whatever the case, I won't mind seeing it go.

I mean, he plans pretty far ahead so, I don't really put much past him in terms of clues and set-up.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There are so many storylines running that having both months solicited is exciting but kinda disorienting. The dark horses, Jimmy and Up in the Sky, have my eye most because of that. I also like DCeased as it's another self contained story.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

I can't really pretend to know one way or the other, but if I had to guess things like the alien slang will likely be back. I mean, he's going to the far future to join a team literally full of aliens. I have to assume that was part of the point for adding the slang in the first place. It not being part of the last 3 issues he's been in doesn't really say anything for sure, I don't think. No guesses on the scar. It could be an in story reason to make some sort of point? It could be to show how advanced future tech is? The Legion might heal the scar because Jon, as both Superboy and the son of Superman, is a celerity of the highest order, and they're healing the scar to keep up the whole invincible idea behind the El family? Whatever the case, I won't mind seeing it go.

I mean, he plans pretty far ahead so, I don't really put much past him in terms of clues and set-up.
    I think you're giving Bendis too much benefit of the doubt here. Even if they address the scar in Legion, it still magically appeared on his face in the first place. And the alien slang was used a ton in Jon's first issue back, and then not at all for about 5+ issues after. That seems like dropping it. And if it comes back randomly, then that's just awkward writing.
    Currently Reading:

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

And the alien slang was used a ton in Jon's first issue back, and then not at all for about 5+ issues after. That seems like dropping it. And if it comes back randomly, then that's just awkward writing.
    How does him not using slang for a bit mean him ever using it again would be weird? Especially when it's around his parents who it's quickly obvious have no idea what he's saying?
    Buh-bye

Mighty Member

How does him not using slang for a bit mean him ever using it again would be weird? Especially when it's around his parents who it's quickly obvious have no idea what he's saying?
    Well, first off, kids don't stop using slang because their parents don't understand it. Secondly, if Jon's reason for stopping was that his parents didn't understand, then Bendis never seemed to communicate that in the issue. When a writer gives a character a particular way of speaking, they have to be consistent with it, otherwise, it's just going to seem like their uses it only when the writer remembers to. And that's sloppy. Then there is the issue of when did Jon pick up this alien slang. He never used it in the flashbacks and then he was trapped in a volcano for 5 years.

Furthermore, the theory that the slang is to tie-in with the Legion also doesn't make sense. Even if Jon was learning alien slang, it wouldn't be usable in the 32nd century. Slang changes in a decade, let alone a thousand years. Any slang Jon learned in the 21st century surely wouldn't still be in use in the 32nd. I mean, our language a thousand years ago was completely different to how it is today.
    Currently Reading:

Slang changes in a decade, let alone a thousand years. Any slang Jon learned in the 21st century surely wouldn't still be in use in the 32nd.
    Now I'm thinking of Aang's one hundred year old fire-nation slang in Avatar: The Last Airbender.