Page 320 of 613 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Welcome!

Yeah, fudging the age down or up a bit is 100% something I think Bendis accounted and fully intend for, thus he didn't have Jon settle on an age. He's sort of just nebulously a teenager (anywhere between 15 and 18) the same way Dick Grayson is nebulously a 20 something or even early 30 something depending on the writer or story.
    That's true. I've noticed people elsewhere think he's literally 17 years old.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, I think those titles hint at the framing of her book in that it's a hard look at the lessons she's learned with Superman and how his actions speak to what people need to do and at the same time be a call to action for him to step up. The revealing titles were probably just her brainstorming how to come at the problem.
    Very well put. I wonder if she's been boiling on those feelings for a while now, and the trip really put things into perspective? This will most assuredly get heated as hell.

I don't even think she necessarily lied to Clark. She wasn't expecting Lex, given her "how did you find me" when he came to her door, and he likely came because he did hear about her book and was concerned that it's a call for Superman to do more in the world. She just didn't elaborate on it and Clark didn't press her.
    Well, she did say Lex was there specifically wondering if there was anything embarrassing that Superman had done, and if he heard it was a call to action for Superman he wouldn't be asking that, so, in that sense, I think she may have shifted the truth on that one.

Though, it would actually be really funny if Lex's tunnel vision was that bad he really was there about embarrassing gossip about Superman in an upcoming book that's actually about him being more hands on with humanity than ever lol

It's funny, because literally one of the first scenes in Man of Steel is Superman puting out a fire. But yeah, she likely won't defend Jor El but she can possibly see that he had some semblance of a point in that more needs to and can be done without going to the extremes Martian Manhunter takes it.
    She's not above admitting if the base of an idea from Jor-El is right or good (see 1004), but yeah, I doubt it'll be full on defense. Rather something closer to "it doesn't have to be 0 or 100, Clark" argument. Because Clark has the very real tendency to cover his ears and chant back "I don't wanna impose my will" whenever such an idea is even remotely brought up. It used to be great display of will and conviction on his part back in the day, but now it's very easy to characterize it as overly ridged and even detrimental long term. A fascinating bit of progression from the world around him.

We're going to be so disappointed now if this doesn't pan out!
    And it'll be 100000% on your head, sir lol

And thank you for bouncing this stuff back and forth. I get frustrated and annoyed by some of the relationship stuff i think is coming but this type of discussion makes me realize there could be a lot more going on than the superficial stuff and it's worth sticking out some more.
    No problem at all. Thank you in fact. I'd much rather look toward the possible positives of a run than any possible negatives or general things that I wouldn't care for. This is honestly the sort of constructive discussion I come on this site for in the first place.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    That's true. I've noticed people elsewhere think he's literally 17 years old.
    For all intents and purposes, like functionally speaking, they are right, but so are you, and that'll likely be the case from now on. For such a drastic change, that one bit of dialog was quite accommodating.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

For all intents and purposes, like functionally speaking, they are right, but so are you, and that'll likely be the case from now on. For such a drastic change, that one bit of dialog was quite accommodating.
    That's true.

Well, she did say Lex was there specifically wondering if there was anything embarrassing that Superman had done, and if he heard it was a call to action for Superman he wouldn't be asking that, so, in that sense, I think she may have shifted the truth on that one.

Though, it would actually be really funny if Lex's tunnel vision was that bad he really was there about embarrassing gossip about Superman in an upcoming book that's actually about him being more hands on with humanity than ever lol
    Well, that was her opening jokey response. Clark didn't buy that and she followed up with "He heard about my book and was rightly concerned." Which could be pretty close to or an actually completely accurate characterization of why he was there. Her jokey characterization of how she sent him packing is also probably an exaggeration but maybe not that far off from how she'd deal with him either.

I'm sure Lex was also the one to tip off the person who leaked Trish the photo of him at her door. It could be an attempt to discredit Lois in advance of the book release. Lex likely knew where she was due to the public meet up with Superman, he may even be sitting on that photo for use to blow up her book when it releases. The Trish desk shot could be a hint at things to come, but not necessarily an accurate portrayal of what she has at the moment, and all this could be tied up together into a pretty solid statement on journalism. Lois is going to be coming out with this important substantive message while people are going to be focused on whether or not she's having an affair with Superman or Lex Luthor. It's pretty on the nose.

Circling back to Lois' conversation with Clark, Lex may have even made an attempt to blackmail her with that photo of her kissing Superman, and she may have literally told him that if she was Superman's girlfriend Superman would just kick him into the sun. A joke hiding the truth.

She's not above admitting if the base of an idea from Jor-El is right or good (see 1004), but yeah, I doubt it'll be full on defense. Rather something closer to "it doesn't have to be 0 or 100, Clark" argument. Because Clark has the very real tendency to cover his ears and chant back "I don't wanna impose my will" whenever such an idea is even remotely brought up. It used to be great display of will and conviction on his part back in the day, but now it's very easy to characterize it as overly ridged and even detrimental long term. A fascinating bit of progression from the world around him.
    There was that Bendis profile in Cleveland Magazine a while back that touches on how one of the themes of Bendis' run is Superman's fight for relevance in this modern era. In universe it mentions how Jor El disrespects his mission, Lois wants to chart her own path from what he's currently doing, and how Rogol Zaar wants to simply wipe him out. This speaks to that as well. Superman has to reassert his relevance in both the DCU and the world at large. Lois is his "partner" in this and is fighting the same fight he is, to get him to realize his relevance, in a way that maybe he's not comfortable with. She's charting her own path yes, but it's parallel to and in support of his. She's fighting for his relevance as well and to push him to act towards it and not be complacent. It's actually a really positive statement on her role I think.

And it'll be 100000% on your head, sir lol

No problem at all. Thank you in fact. I'd much rather look toward the possible positives of a run than any possible negatives or general things that I wouldn't care for. This is honestly the sort of constructive discussion I come on this site for in the first place.
    Well, lets hope we are both right about this and I'm wrong about the other stuff. If anything, I think I can see how maybe these all play together in that Lois will be under assault through this tawdy gossip angle while she's trying to call Superman and people to a greater good. I don't think they overcome that by giving into that type of mudslinging. So I'm going to be hopeful that they'll overcome all this!
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-15-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Well, that was her opening jokey response. Clark didn't buy that and she followed up with "He heard about my book and was rightly concerned." Which could be pretty close to the truth. Her jokey characterization of how she sent him packing is also probably an exaggeration but maybe not that far off from how she'd deal with him. I'm sure Lex was also the one to tip off the person who leaked Trish the photo. It could be an attempt to discredit Lois in advance of the book release. Lex likely knew where she was due to the public meet up with Superman, he may even be sitting on that photo for use to blow up her book when it releases. The Trish desk shot could be a hint at things to come, but not necessarily an accurate portrayal of what she has at the moment.
    You know what? Very good point. I should've reread that once more. That perfectly lines up, and is more her being vague than lying. And that's an interesting theory. Now I'm wondering who told Trish that Lois left Clark for Superman? Maybe someone who saw one of the rough titles and let their imagination do the rest?

There was that Bendis profile in Cleveland Magazine a while back that touches on how one of the themes of Bendis' run is Superman's fight for relevance in this modern era. In universe it mentions how Jor El disrespects his mission, Lois wants to chart her own path from what he's currently doing, and how Rogol Zaar wants to simply wipe him out. This speaks to that as well. Superman has to reassert his relevance in both the DCU and the world at large. Lois is his "partner" in this and is fighting the same fight he is, to get him to realize his relevance, in a way that maybe he's not comfortable with. She's charting her own path, but it's to support him. It's actually a really positive statement on her role I think.
    Very well put. It's doing the "Man of Yesterday" critique, but without making Superman seem like some old fogy who's afraid of the internet because he was created in 1938 and wears his underwear on the outside. Bendis ironically embraces the shorts and the history, and elects to make this about Clark and his actual personal hang-ups as a well documented character. I just can't get over how cool the idea that Superman's "final boss" in this story could very well be Lois while framing it as a significant other challenging you to be the best version of yourself.

The potential for character work is high as hell.

Well, lets hope we are both right about this and I'm wrong about the other stuff. If anything, I think I can see how maybe these all play together in that Lois will be under assault through this tawdy gossip angle while she's trying to call Superman and people to a greater good. I don't think they overcome that by giving into that type of mudslinging. So I'm going to be hopeful that they'll overcome all this!
    I think and hope that's the plan.

But man, I just can't shake how all of this lines up so damn well. Like, I genuinely think you cracked it. The new cover for issue 7 alone. Now thinking back I remember how Lois framed outer space when she meets up with Clark again in 1004. She says "you were right: it was deep outer space. I wasn't safe. At all." That reads to me as an indication of the not so hospitable state of the galaxy in 21st century DC. And now I'm looking back on how she carefully broaches the idea of their less conventional set up as being almost a microcosm of Clark stepping up on a macro scale.

Like, just think about, the DCU's Earth with its alien supermen, Justice Leagues, and amazons still wants to pretend like it's still living life before alien neighbors. You get the occasional shady organization, yes, but in terms of the public at large, it's largely just them being comfy with the bit of strangeness around them without contemplating the real vastness of what's out there. Even Lois herself took for granted the greater galaxy around her before she left.

I'm now wondering if Jon is gonna be the dedicated voice for change in Clark's ear Superman with his new radical ideas while Lois is that voice in Action Comics?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, its certainly not out of the realm of imagination due to X-Men, but man I hope its not true. Its the one thing I was aware of Bendis doing at Marvel and the one practice I desperately hoped he wouldn't bring. Multiple versions of the same character running around a main continuity drives me mad. Especially when you have other means for a "have your cake and eat it too scenario". We have it right here with Jon, tangibly happening. I'm talking about the Zoom imprint Super Sons book. Right there that guarantees we're getting 17 yo Jon and 10 yo Jon. And it won't confuse anything because they're separate incarnations. That's the way to explore different types of the same character.
    I wouldn't exactly call that a "have your cake and eat it too" scenario as I haven't heard particularly positive things from fans of Super Sons about the preview of that Zoom Title. At the very least, it might not be great cake.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Here's a thought, what if this 17yr old Jon is Superman Secundus.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Here's a thought, what if this 17yr old Jon is Superman Secundus.
    You mean as in being him thematically and fulfilling the story from DC 1 million?

Yeah, there's a good chance of that. Thematically and story wise Jon fits the bill quite well, and Secundus has only even been described as Superman's blood heir that eventually takes over at the end of the 21st century. The implication being that he's been around and operating a while alongside Clark or in his own right before then

If we're talking name change? Like, if that has to happen, then I'm all for *ahem* Superlad or Superman Secundus.

You know what? Very good point. I should've reread that once more. That perfectly lines up, and is more her being vague than lying. And that's an interesting theory. Now I'm wondering who told Trish that Lois left Clark for Superman? Maybe someone who saw one of the rough titles and let their imagination do the rest?
    Bendis has characterized it as she's not trying to be dishonest with Clark, but playing things very close to her chest because it's a delicate complicated situation. So yeah, she may have basically told him the truth here but in a vague way to keep him from getting too suspicious.

I assumed it was Cat that tipped Trish off initially. She'd have seen Lois' book title and possibly read some chapters that while probably not indicatative of any type of affair may have at least hinted at a stronger connection. Cat also likey had an idea where Lois was too. I'd be shocked if Lex didn't set up the hotel photo though. He's basically smiling at the camera.

I just can't get over how cool the idea that Superman's "final boss" in this story could very well be Lois while framing it as a significant other challenging you to be the best version of yourself.

The potential for character work is high as hell.
    This would be an amazing way to close out this storyline and have the potential to really showcase the relationship and the characters. Lois and even Jor El wouldn't be working against Superman in the classic sense, but they're challenging him to overcome his reluctance to set up and be a true leader. Thinking back to the Legion, he's held up often as this inspirational and transformative figure. This could be the beginning of that.

I think and hope that's the plan.
    It does kind of all tie together. Lois and Superman will have this important, substantive message to get out. Real potentially transformative stuff, and it will likely at least initially be dominated by a media that's more concerned with whether or not she had an affair with Superman. It's so on the nose with critiques of the way the media gives more attention to ridiculous shallow gossip at the expense of real issues. It won't be pleasant but if it is presented that way they better overcome it. Or at least just fight it for a few weeks until people move on. That's a pretty accurate representation of the media as well.

But man, I just can't shake how all of this lines up so damn well. Like, I genuinely think you cracked it. The new cover for issue 7 alone. Now thinking back I remember how Lois framed outer space when she meets up with Clark again in 1004. She says "you were right: it was deep outer space. I wasn't safe. At all." That reads to me as an indication of the not so hospitable state of the galaxy in 21st century DC. And now I'm looking back on how she carefully broaches the idea of their less conventional set up as being almost a microcosm of Clark stepping up on a macro scale.

Like, just think about, the DCU's Earth with its alien supermen, Justice Leagues, and amazons still wants to pretend like it's still living life before alien neighbors. You get the occasional shady organization, yes, but in terms of the public at large, it's largely just them being comfy with the bit of strangeness around them without contemplating the real vastness of what's out there. Even Lois herself took for granted the greater galaxy around her before she left.

I'm now wondering if Jon is gonna be the dedicated voice for change in Clark's ear Superman with his new radical ideas while Lois is that voice in Action Comics?
    Bendis has said their relationship is a microcosm of everything they are fighting for. Putting it like you just did it's the same for what they need to break out of. Lois and Clark's relationship needs to evolve from the comfortable to something a little less so to get to the next level for them (and DC Editorial) same thing for Superman at the macro level. He can stay in his comfort zone and maybe slide into irrelevance or step outside it and retake his place as the leader he should be.

We should get a decent read on Jon tomorrow. I hope depending on how much more present day content is in the issue. But I could see him advocating for the proactive path here along with Lois. They likely didn't have any coordination before this reunion, but Jon will probably agree with her position if that's the case.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-15-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Kon93

You mean as in being him thematically and fulfilling the story from DC 1 million?

Yeah, there's a good chance of that. Thematically and story wise Jon fits the bill quite well, and Secundus has only even been described as Superman's blood heir that eventually takes over at the end of the 21st century. The implication being that he's been around and operating a while alongside Clark or in his own right before then

If we're talking name change? Like, if that has to happen, then I'm all for *ahem* Superlad or Superman Secundus.

Hey sound something we can agree on.superlad,superman secondus,or superson is my choices.

So yeah, she may have basically told him the truth here but in a vague way to keep him from getting too suspicious.
    True. That's pretty sly, and I didn't catch it till now.

I assumed it was Cat that tipped Trish off initially. She'd have seen Lois' book title and possibly read some chapters that while probably not indicatative of any type of affair may have at least hinted at a stronger connection. Cat also likey had an idea where Lois was too. I'd be shocked if Lex didn't set up the hotel photo though. He's basically smiling at the camera.

Thinking back to the Legion, he's held up often as this inspirational and transformative figure. This could be the beginning of that.
    Funny you should mention that given this page here

Johns and Frank's Superman and the Legion of Superheroes. Bendis did mention that Johns specifically was surprised by the addition that Bendis was gonna make to the DCU in the Superman books. But notice how Clark can't even remotely fathom being the direct foundation of the United Planets. Seems consistent particularly since I'm fairly sure this story is in continuity now in some form.

That's a pretty accurate representation of the media as well.
    Yeah, and I remember in a Word Balloon interview Bendis being very, very harsh with his critique on news media saying "we need a Lois Lane right now." This seems like Lois Lane vs today's media.

Bendis has said their relationship is a microcosm of everything they are fighting for.
    Oh crap, you're right! Somehow I totally forgot those were his actual words hahaha That's really cool.

But I could see him advocating for the proactive path here along with Lois. They likely didn't have any coordination before this reunion, but Jon will probably agree with her position if that's the case.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking this is leading to once Jon's present day views are up and running, and Clark and Lois take a look at them. Clark's probably gonna feel pressured and bombarded from all sides once Lois drops the subject of the book on him.

After today's issue Bendis has put quite a bit of pressure on Lois telling Clark the story of her thoughts during her trip back (I remember in issue 1004 she specifically says that's where she got her book idea) and in the moments with the mob of aliens. That's the issue that makes or breaks the working parts of the whole run so far. I gave it not being fleshed out in issue 7 of Superman an understanding pass specifically because the whole thing is very deliberately framed as Jon telling the story, and Lois only quickly interjects here and there because she's 1) keeping things close to the vest and 2) letting her son tell his story. And we know for a fact Superman is the book with the cosmic stuff, Superman's POV, Jor-El stuff, and Superman and Jon stuff. Action is street stuff, Clark stuff, Clark and Lois stuff, Clark, Jimmy, and Lois stuff, and specifically Lois' book stuff. So even though it's frustrating I can see where we're gonna get that moment fleshed out.

But boy does it have some pressure behind it now!

Astonishing Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    ROFL at that shade thrown at Injustice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ROFL at that shade thrown at Injustice.
    They need to kill it with fire.