Page 505 of 613 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 9194
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked him starting out dickish because it showed actual character development when he calmed down and became less arrogant. The problem for me with the Byrne and Johns reboots is his personality is essentially solidified from Day 1 unlike other heroes who grow into their iconic incarnations, and that was always rather dull to me. As for that line put it in context: Guns aren’t going to do jack to Brainiac, and Sam Lane and his soldiers had just let Lex Luthor torture the hell out of him, so yeah he talked smack to them, which I’ll be honest I enjoyed. After years of Post Crisis Supes just letting everyone mock him as an outdated relic (“the last time you inspired anyone was when you were dead”) it was enjoyable to see Supes sass his antagonists right back. You might say that Supes should be the bigger man and that is fair, but I personally think he’s perfectly willing to lay some verbal smack down, especially when these guys tortured him. I loved the line where they tried to arrest him and he told them contemptuously to “slap on the bracelets or get out of his way” lmao.

All-Star is basically the iconic Superman pulling off his last great feats while Action was Clark becoming Supes, so I never had the same expectation for each work that others seemed to. I love them both honestly for different reason.
    I'm actually with you. My initial reaction was "this guy's a dick," but as I also noted it really does read more like a fledgling, immature Clark who has a disdain for authority and he certainly does grow over the run. For what it's worth, Sam seemed to be trying to help at that point, but I get why Clark sassed him. That I find it distasteful to some degree overall fits that arc. I agree that it's nice to not see Clark just eat insults and have a bit of edge to him, I think that particular instance rubbed me the wrong way because I have family who have served (a grandfather in WWII and a few others across multiple generations). Superman insulting soldiers for not having his powers really does just make him look like a bully who happens to pick on other bullies; it feels like punching down. I realize that's possibly not the intent, but maybe it was. Either way, he grows out of it so I'm overall fine with it's inclusion. A young Superman is allowed some extra grit before he grows into proper form. Unlike Snyder's Man of Steel, I think Morrison stuck that landing far more gracefully.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis teases a ongoing with the detectives in even levithan may be coming soon: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...25776842543104

Another Lois Lane book sounds great to me

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis teases a ongoing with the detectives in even levithan may be coming soon: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...25776842543104

Nice, wonder who would write it?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

I'd take it if it means Elongated Man is finally in an ongoing book again.

Nice, wonder who would write it?
    What's Jeff Loveness doing right now?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Rucka? I mean, people forget that the Lois Lane book is only 12 issues. This could be the follow up?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Getting an ongoing or mini or BL book if there’s any justice in the world (there isn’t).
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Rucka? I mean, people forget that the Lois Lane book is only 12 issues. This could be the follow up?
    I’d read the hell out of that but Rucka has a ton of indie work doesn’t he? I don’t know if he plans on sticking around after Lois wraps up although I’m always interested in his books.

I don’t know if he plans on sticking around after Lois wraps up
    No clue. At the very least he's invested enough in the Superman related books that he and Fraction come over Bendis' house weekly and plan out the ins and outs of the Superman world. That's no indication that either will stay on, but at the very least it's nice to hear that they're having that sort of input at such a pivotal moment in Superman history.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Getting an ongoing or mini or BL book if there’s any justice in the world (there isn’t).

I’d read the hell out of that but Rucka has a ton of indie work doesn’t he? I don’t know if he plans on sticking around after Lois wraps up although I’m always interested in his books.
    Co-signed. I'm down for more Rucka, I just imagined he has his plate full and I think Loveness has proven he cares, has chops and deserves a shot at the Super books.

Rucka's on Word Balloon to talk Lois (and Stumptown).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3-_w4VXNc&t=2958s

The really get into it more than you'd think, and Rucka has a real no BS way of answering questions, so you feel like he's being legit with no spin all the way through. They even talk about Rucka's thoughts on Clark doing away with his secret identity, and they go in depth with how Rucka feels about linking his book to the greater DCU, and how he manages it.

But maybe the thing that caught my ear the most was the fact that apparently Rucka and Fraction came on to the books under the assumption that they were ongoing. They were planing on really being in it. It was only later that DC told them they were 12 issue maxis. But, to me, this says that there's a legit possibility of them being willing to do more.

My personal theory is that the books are only 12 issues because of the rumored relaunch with 5G, and they may get 5G revival if all goes well. This may be what the Leviathan detectives book Bendis teased is about. That *could* more or less be "Lois Lane 5G" if Rucka does write it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think DC's idea for the seasonal maxi series model came from Marvel making a big emphasis on the same thing some years ago with lesser known characters, revamps, and experiments. Green Lantern has that weird seasonal mold even though it's really just one continuing story through three segments (I guess it looks like a planned 27 issue total?)

But I would completely love the idea of these continuing is some form or another as it's still the (Team) Bendis era for these characters.

I say love so hopefully I really will sit down and catch up as well as dig further through the interview haha.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

I mean, just looking at the sales, it's not surprising that Lois and Jimmy aren't going to be ongoings. On the other hand, other titles under the Bendis umbrella like Wonder Twins and Dial H seem to be selling even less and they keep getting extensions. So it's hard to say how this is all being decided.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Eh, between digital and trades and other distribution models (like Scholastic) we no longer get a comprehensive view of sales (and we never got the whole picture in the first place). The DM is still the lion's share, but a number of books have done poorly there while succeeding in other formats. The Wonder Comics stuff could very well be among them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, between digital and trades and other distribution models (like Scholastic) we no longer get a comprehensive view of sales (and we never got the whole picture in the first place). The DM is still the lion's share, but a number of books have done poorly there while succeeding in other formats. The Wonder Comics stuff could very well be among them.
    True, but I feel like this reasoning is used as a catch-all for dismissing the numbers we do have. And the DC people have talked about how the digital market hasn't really been growing for them. We have to work with the information we have, and we have nothing to suggest either Dial H or Wonder Twins are doing any better on any platform than Lois and Jimmy. I mean, both Dial H and Wonder Twins pulled in below 10,000 units in September. It would take a lot of digital buys to offset that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    True, but I feel like this reasoning is used as a catch-all for dismissing the numbers we do have. And the DC people have talked about how the digital market hasn't really been growing for them. We have to work with the information we have, and we have nothing to suggest either Dial H or Wonder Twins are doing any better on any platform than Lois and Jimmy. I mean, both Dial H and Wonder Twins pulled in below 10,000 units in September. It would take a lot of digital buys to offset that.
    Sometimes it's totally used to just dismiss DM figures, absolutely. I've seen people use that just to defend a low-selling title they personally enjoy. That's not what I'm doing here though. I read Young Justice and Naomi, and all the other books here (Dial H, Jimmy, etc) I'm either trade waiting or not interested in. I got no skin in this game, yknow?

From what I recall, digital started out pulling something like 10% of the DM's sales, with some books above or below that average, and by the time the digital sales had plateaued I think it was something like 13-15%, which still isn't much. And I have no idea what the figures for trades are beyond hearing that they're increasing at a higher rate than the DM.

For all I know none of these books we're talking about are doing well in other formats. But if stuff like Dial H isn't moving floppies but DC keeps extending the run, they're probably pulling in sales from somewhere. Printing a book that isn't making any money just to keep Bendis happy? Sure, maybe. Doing it for 2-4, or even more titles? I don't see that happening.

DC might be hoping these will be loss leaders and will somehow pull readers into other products and books but.....I'm not really seeing any signs of that either. I mean, who knows what these guys are doing, we don't get an inside view of how DC operates and all I'm doing is guessing. But I'd be willing to bet these books are either doing decently somewhere, or DC is hoping the trade sales make up for it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.