Page 259 of 613 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309359 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 9194

I'm not fan on Jon's new design, especially because he looks too old for my taste. But I'm actually happy to see him aged up : the character had become the insufferable cliche of a goofy superpowered kid in Supersons and he was en route to be become so uni-dimensional than any variation from the "Goody two shoes goofy kid" was raising hell ("Oh noew! How does a 10 years old dare to say that he doesn't want to go to school today!?").

I can't help but feel that Bendis is trying to harness the vibe of New 52's Morrison Superman with Jon. He seems set to be willing to rock the cart a little, to be more proactive compared to his father's passivity and upholding of the status quo. With probably Lois managing to forge the best of both world's way.

What I find hilarious is Bendis worked at Marvel during Renew Your Vows when they pulled the EXACT SAME STUNT and it tanked horribly. Why does he think it'll do well now ?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm not fan on Jon's new design, especially because he looks too old for my taste. But I'm actually happy to see him aged up : the character had become the insufferable cliche of a goofy superpowered kid in Supersons and he was en route to be become so uni-dimensional than any variation from the "Goody two shoes goofy kid" was raising hell ("Oh noew! How does a 10 years old dare to say that he doesn't want to go to school today!?").

I can't help but feel that Bendis is trying to harness the vibe of New 52's Morrison Superman with Jon. He seems set to be willing to rock the cart a little, to be more proactive compared to his father's passivity and upholding of the status quo. With probably Lois managing to forge the best of both world's way.
    I never said, Jon should never have rebellious or mischievous side. He always had it. Read any of the book he was in. But at the core, Jon was goofball, innocent kid.He was "ball of sunshine" for people that had a bad day. That was endearing.This seems too radical a shift and too fast. These kind shifts had almost always backfired. From superlad's words it is being done for Clark's relatability.this happened in truth with clark and lois. Lois was used there. Which seems like wrong move for me. Using Jon like this at this stage of his character has potential to end him.I would love for Jon to have more morrisons new 52 superman traits or for that matter lois's traits. But this not the way that I feel it should have been done(it's comics massive status quo changes are bound to happen, I am accepting it). This feel like a reboot of Jon character. There are tons of teen characters for people to read.There are also lots of stories of people who have weight of shoulder. Jon wasn't that kind character till now. He was a sweet kid and that is what people like for.Even his mischievous side had and innocence to it.

Clark isn't passive(atleast for me) . He is more, settled now.His positions have become more nuanced, but his arguments are still the same.The world isn't fight between us and them unless he makes it. And drawing a line always creates divide.He knows this and the futility of it. But He still fights for truth and justice, which are worth fighting for.

Anyways, this arc seems to designed to give clark some tooth, especially with Jor-El's critic of clark. Clark might realise he needs to be a little more proactive.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-17-2018 at 05:16 AM.

BANNED

Um, Super Sons is supposed to be goofy. Thats exactly what made it infinitely better than the other pretentious "literature" DC and Marvel were putting on the shelves.

BANNED

I think Jon taking up the social crusader role could fuel more of what we're gradually seeing from Bendis, where his father is pressured from all sides (first by Martian Manhunter and then by Lois and her new book) to raise his game and take more pro-active position in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think Jon taking up the social crusader role could fuel more of what we're gradually seeing from Bendis, where his father is pressured from all sides (first by Martian Manhunter and then by Lois and her new book) to raise his game and take more pro-active position in the world.
    For that to happen, people who liked the old Jon needs to like this or atleast accept this new Jon. Otherwise, Jon as main lead of any book won't work. He might work as side character, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    on as main lead of any book won't work. He might work as side character, though.
    They can always try a mini-series format with Jon in the lead

For that to happen, people who liked the old Jon needs to like this or atleast accept this new Jon. Otherwise, Jon as main lead of any book won't work. He might work as side character, though.
    It would be a plus, but it isn't necessary. If enough peoples who had been quite fed up with the "kid Jon" presence and voice actually like this new take, it could balance losses of those who liked the goofy kid. And as Miles says, they can always give him a mini and see where it goes. Not many characters today can sustain an ongoing today, especially relatively recent characters like Jon, no matter his age.

It would be a plus, but it isn't necessary. If enough peoples who had been quite fed up with the "kid Jon" presence and voice actually like this new take, it could balance losses of those who liked the goofy kid. And as Miles says, they can always give him a mini and see where it goes. Not many characters today can sustain an ongoing today, especially relatively recent characters like Jon, no matter his age.
    We will see.It still a gamble. Last time DC pulled this, it did not work.The risk is not worth it. Anyway for me atleast Jon is done (if he is going to be, something like superboy prime, any other angsty teen character or a lonely god) . I liked the old Jon.I liked reading about a goofy kid, it wasn't pretentious. It had elements of silver-age goofy adventures mixed with some anime/manga tropes, and a cool casual looking costume. Overall, it was a fun ride. Like, they say all good thing come to an end. I going to miss the little guy. For now on reddit, twitter.. Etc people are largely pissed.
    Edit- do you think Jon needs to be aged up to be proactive?
    Don't you think a kid can tackle social issues and have goofy adventures?
    Won't it be interesting to get the perspective of a innocent kid (who was afraid of dead bodies and murder) on social issue?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-17-2018 at 06:19 AM.

I can understand that, but it's a relief to me, if a cautious one. I found that Jon was dragging down everything he touched. The first few issues of Rebirth with him were cute, but he quickly became unsufferable to me. I especially disliked how he not only hijacked the Superman's books, but also Damian's own space : instead of having Damian dealing with stuff which is his with Maya and Suren, Jon was shoehorned in, made Damian look bad or ridiculous all the time, and was generally not the purveyer of interesting stories (Supersons of Tomorrow rested on him and it was extremely boring).

The thing I am going to miss about this is the animeesque feel to character. And references to anime's like naruto and dbz in his room. Jon has so many similarities with gohan, even deku to some extent(fanboying about his hero dad/all might). difference is dad happens to be his superman.
    It's like we had kid Gohan and it was just getting good, but then they skipped past Namek and Cell and went straight to Teen Gohan. And now we're stuck with Teen Gohan. Except Teen Gohan is also Edgy.

But the thing about this that confuses me is that Jon already had a series that was doing alright. They'd jumped that hurdle with a brand new character...only to start all over again. And, much as I love Jon, if they're doing a teen Superboy mini or ongoing, they might as well just do it with Conner.

I can understand that, but it's a relief to me, if a cautious one. I found that Jon was dragging down everything he touched. The first few issues of Rebirth with him were cute, but he quickly became unsufferable to me. I especially disliked how he not only hijacked the Superman's books, but also Damian's own space : instead of having Damian dealing with stuff which is his with Maya and Suren, Jon was shoehorned in, made Damian look bad or ridiculous all the time, and was generally not the purveyer of interesting stories (Supersons of Tomorrow rested on him and it was extremely boring).
    (him hijacking the book) I hated that to, especially after the super sons was launched. Jon's development should have been transfered to that. Anyways, Jon was going through his changes as well.He wasn't static.Old Jon considered himself just Jon not superboy. Damian was changing that outlook in him.
    Damian has teen titans and batbooks(even though he is largely ignored). And for so many people super sons book humanised him, gave him a friend who is as much of a misfit as he is. Old Damian would not have given a kid like Jon time of his day.For a lot of people damian became likable during the run.Supersons did not do any development regarding damian and MAYA.So it will be tackled, later.What is the hurry? Damian is already established and has a base. It focused on Jon and damian and their families.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-17-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    It's like we had kid Gohan and it was just getting good, but then they skipped past Namek and Cell and went straight to Teen Gohan. And now we're stuck with Teen Gohan. Except Teen Gohan is also Edgy.

But the thing about this that confuses me is that Jon already had a series that was doing alright. They'd jumped that hurdle with a brand new character...only to start all over again. And, much as I love Jon, if they're doing a teen Superboy mini or ongoing, they might as well just do it with Conner.
    Agreed. This whole thing seems like misstep. I could be wrong.

BANNED

Super Sons was about both Jon and Damian and was edited out of the Superman office. It was the fault of the Batman office that they ignored Damian, cancelled his book and tried to push Harper, Duke etc which is why we couldn't get elements from Damian's own stories.

Super Sons of Tomorrow was a mandated crossover that reeked of mid way changes and a bizarre plot line. It was more a Tim Drake story.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You were calling the negative attitude towards what he does "tribalism", almost as if you were trying to categorise the critics and downplay their faculties.
    No. Please reread my post. I'm calling the very idea of the fan divide tribalism because it is. It's always "us vs them" when these big shake up happen, and it's hardly ever healthy criticism. It's always "ah man, you're an X fan so you must be like this" or "you like Y so your opinion is invalid."

So, yes, again, never did I say or imply that I feel like people can't critique the talent or the stories.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.