Page 22 of 613 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122522 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    Well, the weird thing about the Rebirth era is that the first 10 months of it were spent as a sort of middle ground between the New 52 and the new status quo. So everything up until Reborn wasn't really settled, with the whole "Hypertime refugee" aspect to the Kent family and them feeling like their world was dead (which was just them misinterpreting where they were and what had happened with Flashpoint, but it still cast a melancholy over the era). The second half, the most recent 10 months, has really been where Jurgens has been able to shine. Instead of mourning the New 52 Superman or the Pre-Flashpoint world, it's reconciled the two and charted a new path forward. So I feel like there's obviously going to be things left unsaid, and that's a bit disheartening since it was this run that brought be back to Superman comics.
    Yeah, it hasn't been the smoothest narrative, but you can see the work that went into the tapestry. We still have beats playing out from 2015 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So did anyone see that bit here on CBR about Bendis leaning into Clark's Jewish background?

Should be interesting. I mean, I personally prefer Clark's religious opinions to be more....complex.....than just being one faith or another, and it'd just be weird to see him suddenly expressing a religious faith he's never been vocal about (even if its clear in his character's origins and early stories) but it's a part of his mythos that has been ignored for a long, long time, and it'll be interesting to see if Bendis can find any new corners of Kal-El we haven't seen since 1940.

I'm not a fan of that article because it uses the same quotes from Forbes, where Bendis didn't confirm the interviewers assertions. Bendis' own Jewish roots can play a very interesting part in the stories he tells, and I can also believe that he'll favor the Siegel and Shuster nuances when it comes to portraying the character. But if he makes the Kents Jewish or something, that'd be really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What is with the aimed narrative of martyring Jurgens/Tomasi/Gleason? It was a respectable run in today's climate, and they're moving on. Runs like Spider-Man/Slott are next to unheard of today. Why are people are acting like this is some huge affront?
    Well, I don't know if the current teams of Jurgens as well as Tomasi/Gleason were blind-sided with this news that they're off their titles, or how much work they had already done for issues beyond what are now the last issues they'll be on. But, considering DC had already announced a Vol. 6 for Jurgen's Rebirth run on Action Comics (and I'm quoting what's still showing up on amazon.com as of today):
    Following the world-shattering events of THE OZ EFFECT, the Man of Steel must come to terms with a new status quo in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6!

Superman has never faced a challenge like this--how will it change his relationship with Metropolis? And more importantly, with his wife, Lois Lane, and his super son, Jonathan?

Classic Superman scribe Dan Jurgens (THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN) continues his epic return to the Man of Steel in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6, collecting issues #1001-1006.
    I'm assuming Jurgens had been working beyond issue #1000's script with DC's awareness / approval!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, I don't know if the current teams of Jurgens as well as Tomasi/Gleason were blind-sided with this news that they're off their titles, or how much work they had already done for issues beyond what are now the last issues they'll be on. But, considering DC had already announced a Vol. 6 for Jurgen's Rebirth run on Action Comics (and I'm quoting what's still showing up on amazon.com as of today):I'm assuming Jurgens had been working beyond issue #1000's script with DC's awareness / approval!
    It seemed like Jurgens nipped all of that in the bud in the epilogue of Oz Effect when he had Clark go off on his quest for answers with Lois' approval and a nice kiss...didn't seem like the Oz revelation did anything to shake the family up

DC also have lied in solicitations. Tom King's Batman run is littered with false advance information.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Its very possible they had plans to keep going, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't, however I would think that's the case with a lot of runs where the creators don't come in with an already negotiated and set date of departure.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm not a fan of that article because it uses the same quotes from Forbes, where Bendis didn't confirm the interviewers assertions. Bendis' own Jewish roots can play a very interesting part in the stories he tells, and I can also believe that he'll favor the Siegel and Shuster nuances when it comes to portraying the character. But if he makes the Kents Jewish or something, that'd be really weird.
    I don't think Bendis is gonna make the Kents Jewish (in fact, if I'm remembering the announcement correctly, that might be something Frank Miller is doing in Year One, which I think will be an Elseworlds regardless of what he does with Clark's faith).

I think Bendis will down play all the Christ metaphors, though. I hope he does that, for one.

If he just sticks to the nuances, that'll be great. That would be my hope. Making the Kents Jewish would definitely be odd.

But at the same time, its not like this family has ever been handled as being very religious. They've referenced their christianity a few times, especially back in the day when everyone "had" to be christian, but for all intents and purposes their faith had such a non-presence they could be practically anything.

Honestly, I'll be far more pissed off if they bring the Kents back to life than I will be if they "change" religion.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not terribly excited about the books going monthly again. The (probable) uptick in quality will be nice, but I'm so damn impatient these days lol The Triangle Era was, for all intents & purposes, a weekly series and I'll be honest - it spoiled me when I was a kid. I've hated the monthly releases ever since.

Especially when you wait an entire month for a book that only takes 5 minutes to read. Is Bendis a wordy guy?
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member

I just won't be sure about Jon until I see him, for all the logic that supports him staying.

it's funny we've been discussing fundamentals, because I feel at ease simply from seeing those covers. That's as much as I really want.

it's annoying me that he suggests he'll be making Metropolis "as good as Gotham " but maybe I'm taking that the wrong way.
    To be fair Metropolis and the Planet haven't been major factors since the Johns run and it's been longer since they've been used well.

Readers of Daredevil know how much Bendis loves newspapermen.

Main thing I take from this is that it will be good to see Perry White matter again.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Very true. And as much as I like to explain that Perry isn't anything like JJJ, it's not like they've used him to be much different in most recent comics.

If he just sticks to the nuances, that'll be great. That would be my hope. Making the Kents Jewish would definitely be odd.

But at the same time, its not like this family has ever been handled as being very religious. They've referenced their christianity a few times, especially back in the day when everyone "had" to be christian, but for all intents and purposes their faith had such a non-presence they could be practically anything.

Honestly, I'll be far more pissed off if they bring the Kents back to life than I will be if they "change" religion.
    Aw. I'm completely fine with them being gone because they've already been gone more or less since Pa died (twice!) roughly a decade ago. But easily, the great thing about the Reis splash to me is Ma holding back lil Clark. I miss them in his background and being there for the discovery of his great origin.

I understand what Johns did with Secret Origin, where Clark was freaked to learn he was an alien. It's pretty reasonable. So was the overwhelming fear in MoS, and the idea that the world would move forward without its brakes. But I enjoy it more when it's this vast mystery and the Kents are right by him to help interpret or express his otherworldly destiny. If they keep Secret Origin, I hope they tweak that single part.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I don't think Bendis is gonna make the Kents Jewish (in fact, if I'm remembering the announcement correctly, that might be something Frank Miller is doing in Year One, which I think will be an Elseworlds regardless of what he does with Clark's faith).

I think Bendis will down play all the Christ metaphors, though. I hope he does that, for one.
    It's weird because they absolutely have to do that, but maybe they can't. I think people will see it even when it's not projected. But in general we could definitely use less, "Superman is cool because he's like this other person." Superman is Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I'm not terribly excited about the books going monthly again. The (probable) uptick in quality will be nice, but I'm so damn impatient these days lol The Triangle Era was, for all intents & purposes, a weekly series and I'll be honest - it spoiled me when I was a kid. I've hated the monthly releases ever since.

Especially when you wait an entire month for a book that only takes 5 minutes to read. Is Bendis a wordy guy?
    Weeeelllll....

Google Bendis dialogue (for some reason, I can't link an article). Granted, I think the monthly pace will be better than biweekly, which was often rushed.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    To be fair Metropolis and the Planet haven't been major factors since the Johns run and it's been longer since they've been used well.

Readers of Daredevil know how much Bendis loves newspapermen.

Main thing I take from this is that it will be good to see Perry White matter again.
    Bendis' DAREDEVIL is a fantastic run. Some of the best comics. I'm really hoping he brings THAT to this.

I can imagine really liking Perry White with Bendis writing him.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Further evidence this MOS may be the new official origin:

https://www.newsarama.com/38427-bend...-of-steel.html
    Assassinate Putin!

Also more hints that Krypton was deliberately destroyed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Also more hints that Krypton was deliberately destroyed.
    I just wonder what's the point of that. I always liked old krypton elders not being wise enough to listen to Jor-El about Krypton's demise. Adding some random villain wanting to destroy the planet seems like a lazy story idea. I'd hope that wasn't Bendis's big idea he had for years.

I don't know how I feel about it, to be honest. I think the Animated Series handled the idea quite well with Brainiac (although not directly responsible, he went out of his way to ensure the people's death, so to me that counts as genocide, but at the same time kept a natural element to it). Johns then hinted at Brainiac having something to do with it again when he revamped the character in the comics which I didn't mind at the time. And speaking of that, if they're going a similar route here, I'd actually prefer Brainiac eventually being revealed as the mastermind behind it over whatever ties this new villain has to things. If you're going to do it, do it to prop up the animosity between a classic villain whom (IMO) doesn't get enough play anymore and needs the permanent boost, and further it already makes tons of sense within his already established lore an d backstory. But all that said, I can see the arguments against the idea entirely. It just seems really likely at this point, what with the art of the villain symbolically crushing Krypton, to terms like "bombs" being dropped in the Man of Steel series about his past, and now a specific mention of a secret behind Krypton's destruction.

I do also wonder if Bendis has any plans to utilize Zod, Ursa, Lor-Zod, and the planet they've taken over into this storyline. I would lean toward believing Jurgens' recent hints in Action about a Earth/New Krypton war was hinting about ideas he had in expectation of continuing his own run, as opposed to setting up anything that Bendis was going to do. But all the same its out there and could be utilized regardless.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-02-2018 at 04:42 PM.

So did anyone see that bit here on CBR about Bendis leaning into Clark's Jewish background?

Should be interesting. I mean, I personally prefer Clark's religious opinions to be more....complex.....than just being one faith or another, and it'd just be weird to see him suddenly expressing a religious faith he's never been vocal about (even if its clear in his character's origins and early stories) but it's a part of his mythos that has been ignored for a long, long time, and it'll be interesting to see if Bendis can find any new corners of Kal-El we haven't seen since 1940.
    It was a bizarre article. Are they going to retcon the Kents as being Jewish? I mean I don't see how else you make Superman more Jewish out of nowhere.

The reason for the Christ imagery because it is a story that mirror's Superman's. Superman is a god like figure that was sent to Earth by his father and then decided to use his godlike ability to save the people there. Jesus' story is basically the same. Sent to Earth by his father and had to decide if he wanted to sacrifice himself for its people. It is why writers and directors like to play up the metaphor so much.

Maybe it just means that he will focus more on Superman being a minority-like character, but I have no idea.