Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So Clark killed Ma Kent's cat with his laser vision by mistake while trying to save its live? Clark's best friend growing up was an the grand-son of the league of assassins? Clark was forced to move to Metropolis as a boy against his wishes? Sorry, but no. You are either purposely ignoring the differences between Clark and Jon's experiences or you are looking closely enough.
    I'm talking themes, I pointed out as such. I didn't say nor suggest every single minute detail of their lives were exactly the same. I said the themes were not unique. And I stand by that. Superman/boy has dealt with loss, dealt with learning the pitfalls of his powers, dealt with having comrades with seedy pasts, etc. Clark never moved from the Kent farm as a kid. I guess that's something. But by and large the kid is just not breaking any barriers. I'm not even arguing that's reason to not do it again. You can do those things with another character. Its not out of bounds of anything. But he's not unique.

And how is acknowledging a lack of overall popularity of the company ridiculous? Its just putting everything into perspective. The original SS was keeping pace with other middling titles. It got canceled originally for a new direction, and because it was middling it wasn't that big a risk for DC to take. Same lack of risk if they decided to cancel Supergirl and do something really different with her. Yeah you risk alienating the fans they have, but they're not top tier and it doesn't make that much a dent in sales. Therein lies the point: from a business perspective, changing Jon up wasn't the blunder its being made out to be because the risk is minimal. It hasn't affected anything in regards to their bottom line. Substantially changing Clark Kent or something, that would. Its just about perspective. With this change-up and the supposed negative effects of it, its putting Jon on the pedestal of the big guns and he's not that by a sight.

As far as the comparison of Speedy-to-Arsenal is in the status of the character's popularity, not the specifics of what was changed. The point is the same: Jon isn't as popular as he's made out to be. He's not unpopular but he's not the best thing since sliced bread either. That's the only point I've made.

In any case, respect your disagreements.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-15-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El