Page 542 of 613 FirstFirst ... 42442492532538539540541542543544545546552592 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Fair, and I think I would too if they weren't gearing up for him taking over and I like Jon so I don't want him to fail. But as it is, I'm not seeing them position him to do anything but be a cover track of his old man. If 5G wasn't around the corner, I think I'd just look at it as him taking a chip off the old block, but so far I've yet to see post-Timeskip Jon really establish himself and it's starting to become worrying.
    I can understand that. I'm just not having the same reaction at the moment. As he's been written so far, I've found him to deviate in some interesting and subtle ways, but him consciously taking after his dad is always something that's made him work for me. That stuff and his generally excitable nature (sometimes nearly lacking any real ego to speak of) with little to no hint of irony continues to make him a really pleasant character.

I dunno, it's a little hard to explain because all of the words I'd use to describe him are basic, and it's often easier to describe less well adjusted characters who have worse relationships with people around them. Dick would have this same issue but he just happens to be the well adjusted nice one in his world.

But ultimately you'd describe Dick as primarily this optimistic nice guy who always tries to do the right thing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Didn't know where to put this. Dan Didio is no longer with DC Comics.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...-of-dc-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post

We’re talking about it over in the sales thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We’re talking about it over in the sales thread.
    My bad. Didn't see it..

No worries. Honestly Didio leaving could have major implications for the Bendis era as well as the rest of DC. After all Bendis aging up Jon was seemingly done with the intent of setting up 5G. If that’s no longer in the cards who knows what could happen?

No worries. Honestly Didio leaving could have major implications for the Bendis era as well as the rest of DC. After all Bendis aging up Jon was seemingly done with the intent of setting up 5G. If that’s no longer in the cards who knows what could happen?
    I was thinking of the implications going forward after reading that.

Although WB corporate was apparently in full support of the outing, so that might stick longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although WB corporate was apparently in full support of the outing, so that might stick longer.
    If they restore Jon back to normal and ditch the whole "replace all the heroes" stuff...the identity reveal, while not something I'm thrilled with,would be the lesser evil.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but were they still in support of it when it didn't led to an ongoing sales boost, which they could have been promised?
    Last edited by Sam; 02-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, but were they still in support of it when it didn't led to an ongoing sales boost, which they could have been promised?
    If anyone at WB thought they were going to get a big long-term sales boost from the identity outing, they need to be fired.

Look at the numbers. Superman sells what Superman sells, and changes in creators and direction ultimately make very little difference. We've had some wildly different takes and shake-ups over recent years and things usually even out quickly to the same rough average. You don't need access to DC's sales data to know that, you can just look at Comichron.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post

I hope Bendis is next, there I said it. I hate what he is doing to Sups' world, worst of all to Jon. If people disagree with me fine, but it's how I feel. I'm rooting for Bendis to be shown the door.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Look at the numbers. Superman sells what Superman sells, and changes in creators and direction ultimately make very little difference. We've had some wildly different takes and shake-ups over recent years and things usually even out quickly to the same rough average. You don't need access to DC's sales data to know that, you can just look at Comichron.
    I really wish we had a good idea of digital sales.

I hope Bendis is next, there I said it. I hate what he is doing to Sups' world, worst of all to Jon. If people disagree with me fine, but it's how I feel.
    I don't disagree, but I'm not sure Jon we can get back kid!Jon until the next reboot. And even that's a matter of hoping that specific version of Jon is popular enough to be what they choose if they keep him. I dropped the comics a while ago - Jon was definitely a big factor, but I'd been having problems since before the age-up. I don't like losing the family aspect (I know many are not a fan - I was). I did like the idea of getting more DP. More staff more of seeing them working and Lois investigating. I'd love to see Jimmy used well, but I'm in the minority in not preferring the butt-monkey or silver-age-cracky version. And, you know, his age has to make sense. He can't be 19 when Jon is born and 21 when Jon is 10. He's not really up to Supergirl-levels of "must not leave young adulthood" but still...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If they want to value synergy. Then jon will be deaged to 13 with 5G dead and buried. Hopefully, the guys taking over values supersons. Since, it is being done to get animators interested in comics creation. Also, i think they want to focus more on the kids line and stuff. Which is good. If people see the potential of superson and superfamily ips, jon will be reverted.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-21-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If anyone at WB thought they were going to get a big long-term sales boost from the identity outing, they need to be fired.

Well, no. Action Comics is way below the usual floor. And that's with sales boosting tricks like crossovers and card stock variant covers propping it up. And Rebirth Superman found its floor for a while, only starting to sink again when Bendis's takeover was announced (plus months of fill in writers). Bendis's Superman has been falling faster. If current trends hold it will sink below 40,000 soon, which I don't think has happened since JMS's Grounded arc (but I could be missing some New52 stuff). Bendis was given a lot of freedom, and it was unquestionable that DC was expecting bigger sales from him, especially given the way they promote him by name in a way they don't even do Scott Snyder (who's name does often result in sales boost). They didn't want business as usual.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Yeah, if sales aren't great, they must be wondering if having Bendis replace Tomasi was a mistake. Especially now that Jon's getting adapted for television. They may be regretting his age up. However, that age up involved time travel, so it would actually be possible to undo it without a linewide reboot.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-22-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman