Page 417 of 613 FirstFirst ... 317367407413414415416417418419420421427467517 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They already did lol, in the Sideways Annual a version of him that’s basically just Morrison’s origin without anything that came after exists and is exploring the Multiverse.
    You know what DC needs? Another hard reboot! Maybe get rid of all the marriages! (ducks)
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

It is worth noting the words Harras uses in the press release announcing Batman/Catwoman. He says DC is making changes to their publishing line starting with Batman. Opening salvo sounds a somewhat appropriate phrase here.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I mean we all knew a shake-up/relaunch was coming. Snyder is building up to Metal 2 or whatever his ending event for Justice League will be called, and that will no doubt cause a line-wise relaunch (although I do not believe at this point it will be a reboot).
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-24-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    But honestly? I don’t really care about Batman. There’s plenty of other Batman media to consume, so if his comic is garbage it’s not like Batfans will suffer. What I’m (selfishly) concerned about is Superman. Are they going to try to have Bendis write both Superbooks, AND Batman, AND edit/write Wonder Comics, AND write Jinxworld? Because forget burn out that’s a freaking nuclear bomb set to detonate. If Bendis couldn’t handle it he’d take down most of DC’s biggest sellers in one fell swoop. They better force him off one book at least. I’d take him off Superman and Young Justice and let him focus on Batman, Action, Naomi, and Jinxworld.
    This right here. I like Batman well enough. But he's far from a favorite character or a personal priority (obviously he's DC's #1 concern, but not mine). My interest is with Superman. I fear that if Bendis jumps off the Super-books, DC will screw things up with lackluster talent and no plan.....just like they always do when a major writer (Johns, Morrison, etc) leave the title/s.

And Bendis taking on too many projects is nearly as bad as DC throwing some random hack onto the titles too. Bendis can be amazing when he's on his game but if he gets spread too thin all of his work seems to suffer. I'm satisfied with the Super-books these days, and I'm not ready to go back to having no Superman to read again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I was just thinking about that kryptonian Rogol Zarr theory. Could he be one of those Worldkillers? He doesn’t look all that different from Reign.
    15714E5D-6189-4BB8-9874-94367877E731.jpg
    C54E1673-0E4F-4778-9A2D-87C73E107BD0.jpg

As stated before two of Bendis jinxworld books are done, not that it really matters I guess, I understand being afraid of Bendis being spread too thin as someome who has read Miles Morales when he was writing the book but I did always assume that maybe writing multiple books helps him avoid writers block so he can never be stuck on one thing.

Addressing BC, they didn't confirm Bendis writing Batman they said they heard his name being in the running. What is interesting is that the big wigs are apparently upset with Bendis sales b/c his paycheck is big but one of the first things we heard about Bendis contract made it sound like he would be doing things outside of comics which I thought the big wigs would care about more and take advantage of.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    As stated before two of Bendis jinxworld books are done, not that it really matters I guess, I understand being afraid of Bendis being spread too thin as someome who has read Miles Morales when he was writing the book but I did always assume that maybe writing multiple books helps him avoid writers block so he can never be stuck on one thing.

Addressing BC, they didn't confirm Bendis writing Batman they said they heard his name being in the running. What is interesting is that the big wigs are apparently upset with Bendis sales b/c his paycheck is big but one of the first things we heard about Bendis contract made it sound like he would be doing things outside of comics which I thought the big wigs would care about more and take advantage of.
    not only that, but Naomi is on break till the fall, so levithan is really his only big story right now besides AC and SM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Bendis Digs Into Which DC Characters Have Major Roles In Event Leviathan: https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...or-characters/

Quote Originally Posted by last son of krypton View Post
    bendis digs into which dc characters have major roles in event leviathan: https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...or-characters/
    yes!!!! Finally! The question takes the center stage!!!
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Just popped in to wonder out loud about what Leone said to Leviathan in the Superman: Leviathan Rising Special yesterday. In her opinion, Superman is "a broken boy from a broken home" and the exact wording got me thinking a bit because she then followed up by saying "you have to trap him in a way he doesn't know he's being trapped. Until it's over." She then finished by saying "but that's the thing...no one has the last piece."

- Leone's assessment that Superman is ultimately "a broken boy from a broken home" is clearly coming from an outside perspective (that likely doesn't know the whole story), but, in the context of this run, there is some truth to that read on Superman. If you're someone who either loses parents or is estranged from them very young, then a fairly reasonable reaction by said person may be to hold on even tighter to whatever family they have created for themselves, right? Clark has lost parents, a home, a people, and is currently estranged from his biological father. The fact that Bendis has Leone specifically say "home" seems to play into the overarching themes and idea of the run, and the hump that Clark is still getting over: dealing with and adapting to his family in whatever shape it takes. Leone seems to be played as someone who is quite good at reading people even if she doesn't have all the facts, so I'm guessing that she picked up on little tells in Superman's actions over the years. Makes sense given she is in part devoted to understanding and monitoring ever action he takes.

- So if I may hazard a guess, I think at least one of the aspects of the trap will be to use the press against Superman somehow since she owns the Planet. My current theory is that this is where we get the Clark Kent stepdad stuff. Ruka has already confirmed that he's be having Lois deal with The Kiss, but we haven't yet heard any word on how Bendis will deal with an 11 year old becoming a 17 year old in roughly a month. We've already seen possible hints that Lois, Superman, and Jon being in contact may become news with the scene of the cleaning crew spotting them on the roof in issue 7 of Superman. I think now that Goode is a partner to the Invisible Mafia she may make the choice to use Trish Q as a tool against Superman. It's just something I thought of.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    - Leone's assessment that Superman is ultimately "a broken boy from a broken home" is clearly coming from an outside perspective (that likely doesn't know the whole story), but, in the context of this run, there is some truth to that read on Superman. If you're someone who either loses parents or is estranged from them very young, then a fairly reasonable reaction by said person may be to hold on even tighter to whatever family they have created for themselves, right? Clark has lost parents, a home, a people, and is currently estranged from his biological father. The fact that Bendis has Leone specifically say "home" seems to play into the overarching themes and idea of the run, and the hump that Clark is still getting over: dealing with and adapting to his family in whatever shape it takes. Leone seems to be played as someone who is quite good at reading people even if she doesn't have all the facts, so I'm guessing that she picked up on little tells in Superman's actions over the years. Makes sense given she is in part devoted to understanding and monitoring ever action he takes.
    Yeah, I agree this seems to be a pretty good read on Superman/Clark in this run from Leone given the information she has available to her. Clark has been shown here (and even in the Rebirth run that I think you pointed out earlier) to be resistant to change. He wants things to be normal and to have his family fit into the normal childhood he had growing up. On it's face that's not necessarily a bad thing, but his circumstances, Lois', and Jon's all make that more or less impossible. It fits with Lois' comments in 1004, how they are expending all this effort to appear "normal" when they aren't. He has to learn to adapt to this and adapt his role in the world as Superman. Putting it in that context, Leone with her understanding of him does present a pretty good antagonist for the series I think. She's got a read on him and he's going to have to adapt and change in order to overcome her eventually.

- So if I may hazard a guess, I think at least one of the aspects of the trap will be to use the press against Superman somehow since she owns the Planet. My current theory is that this is where we get the Clark Kent stepdad stuff. Ruka has already confirmed that he's be having Lois deal with The Kiss, but we haven't yet heard any word on how Bendis will deal with an 11 year old becoming a 17 year old in roughly a month. We've already seen possible hints that Lois, Superman, and Jon being in contact may become news with the scene of the cleaning crew spotting them on the roof in issue 7 of Superman. I think now that Goode is a partner to the Invisible Mafia she may make the choice to use Trish Q as a tool against Superman. It's just something I thought of.
    It's going to be interesting to see how this all eventually plays out over the course of the next 6 months or so. Lois' series will definitely be addressing part of it - her interactions with Superman - while the Jon component is likely going to be left up to Bendis to address in Superman. From Leone's talk with Leviathan, and basically how she waves away going after Lois this would still be different. This isn't tying Lois to railroad tracks. It's going after the integrity of Superman's "family" and while not putting them in actual danger, could put Superman in a position to be far more distracted that he doesn't know he's really being set up. Leone just needs to find that final piece to spring once it's all in play. Plus given her comments on Lois being a formidable target on her own, it could work in a way to takes Lois' biggest weapon, the Planet or her role in the press, away from her. Since this is coming from the Planet presumably, whether or not it comes from Trish or someone else. I still think Trish was set up to have to make a choice between doing this and hurting Superman (who saved her life) or not. Now, nothing says she will make the right choice. And it would fit with Bendis' themes on the irresponsibility of that type of reporting. It also would set up Lois' book as her main method of counteracting this, if she loses the Planet as being in her corner. Though I do have a hard time seeing Perry going along with all this willingly. Lois is like a daughter to him in a lot of ways.

So yeah, no surprise but I think you're definitely onto something.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Just popped in to wonder out loud about what Leone said to Leviathan in the Superman: Leviathan Rising Special yesterday. In her opinion, Superman is "a broken boy from a broken home" and the exact wording got me thinking a bit because she then followed up by saying "you have to trap him in a way he doesn't know he's being trapped. Until it's over." She then finished by saying "but that's the thing...no one has the last piece."

Sorry, but i consider myself "a broken boy from a broken home", forgive me I am getting a little personal. Clark's reaction to jon ageup situation and lois leaving jon in space is very subpar. My favourite superman story is "for the man who has everything" because Clark's yearning had struck a cord with me. That guy and tomasi/jurgens superman reaction would have been wayyy different to these situations, i believe that guy would have blown a gasket and would have been miffed for a while. Bendis's superman seemed indifferent as a father and husband,rather than someone who wants to hold on to his family tighter(punching rocks is not much of a good reaction). That is just my opinion. Frankly, i would appreciate Bendis if he didn't focus on the family. He should just go for world building, detective stories.. Etc.
    Family drama is clearly not his forte.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sorry, but i consider myself "a broken boy from a broken home", forgive me I am getting a little personal. Clark's reaction to jon ageup situation and lois leaving jon in space is very subpar. My favourite superman story is "for the man who has everything" because Clark's yearning had struck a cord with me. That guy and tomasi/jurgens superman reaction would have been wayyy different to these situations, i believe that guy would have blown a gasket and would have been miffed for a while. Bendis's superman seemed indifferent as a father and husband,rather than someone who wants to hold on to his family tighter(punching rocks is not much of a good reaction). That is just my opinion. Frankly, i would appreciate Bendis if he didn't focus on the family. He should just go for world building, detective stories.. Etc.
    Understatement of the year.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    One of Clarks reactions to Jon's story is dozing off/starting to daydream.
    I think Bendis's Clark is despicable in scenes like this

Im not bothered by the choices Clark made with the Jon situation, but I do think those segments were rushed.

At Jon's age, Clark was spending weekends in the deep future. So letting Jon spend a summer in space? Not really a big deal when you have the GLC on your contacts list. In theory it's just down the street, right? And while I never read the Oz Effect (skipped Jurgens' Action to read Tomasi) as I understand it Jor-El wasn't himself. Clark would want to foster a relationship there, for him and Jon both. But I think Bendis rushed through it; there should have been longer, deeper conversations. Bendis hit the bullet points of how that discussion would/could go, but didn't take the time to flesh the moments out.

Other than that, I'm largely fine with it. Clark always struggled when it came to family (before Jon was born anyway) and had a pretty weird childhood with a lot of freedom. And Jon's not a normal kid with normal needs. So sure, space with Grandpa. It's a questionable choice but given Clark's own life, well, his parenting skills should be a little off kilter anyway. Bendis just should've taken more time with the scenes, what we got was far too brief to feel organic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.