Page 10 of 613 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110510 ... LastLast

One notable thing is that despite the very vocal positive reaction of some fans to the Rebirth/Reborn Superman and family, and an echo chamber in the Internet media, the truth is that those books have not really sold much better than Action Comics and Superman sold during the equivalent New52 years. I think the powers that be may realize that bottom line is book sales, and the book sales for the present teams and direction were only par for the course for the early years of a reboot and would have inevitably declined in the years to come, and decided it was time for another shift in direction.

In a sense, Rebirth was an "overcorrection" to the New52. I actually thought the New52 was great and would have liked to have seen that Superman continue forever, but for the sake of argument let's say there were obviously some fans who felt alienated by the New52. Rebirth swung in an entirely new opposite direction and alienated other fans. Superman Reborn supposedly merged the two Supermen, but the writing afterwards was largely as if it were just the Rebirth Superman. Maybe what Bendis will do is really take the best from both, and from past other directions, and incorporate what he's learned at Marvel and his own special sauce.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    for the sake of argument let's say there were obviously some fans who felt alienated by the New52.
    Try a lot. There's a reason it failed, but you'll never see that. Your bias is clear and it blinds you to objectivity.

Rebirth swung in an entirely new opposite direction and alienated other fans.
    Who are a minority who, frankly, have a pretty poor idea of what Superman should be

Superman Reborn supposedly merged the two Supermen, but the writing was largely as if it were just the Rebirth Superman.
    Indeed, because who the hell wants to read about arrogant upstart youthful SJW prick who bangs a non-humanizing goddess?

Maybe what Bendis will do is really take the best from both, and from past other directions, and incorporate what he's learned at Marvel and his own special sauce.
    Deconstruction and Decompression is the last thing Superman books need.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-01-2018 at 12:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Indeed, because who the hell wants to read about arrogant upstart youthful SJW prick?
    You do know that Morrison's Superman actually sold better than either of the Rebirth books, don't you?

His run's the best selling run on a flagship book since I think, For Tomorrow back in 2005.

Not a great example to point to as an example of failure.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Indeed, because who the hell wants to read about arrogant upstart youthful SJW prick who bangs a non-humanizing goddess?
    Ok I'll take the bait..how is new 52 superman a sjw prick?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

In your opinion. One not shared by everyone, and I am tired of certain members on here (you know who you are) acting like their hate of the books is both forum and universal consensus. Wake up to reality: It is'nt.
    Not every time someone says "the Superman books suck pretty hard right now and an injection of new blood is hopefully a good thing" requires an "in my opinion" tacked on, anymore than someone saying the current direction's been great. I'm fully aware of people holding the latter take, much as I imagine Flash is. It utterly beggars belief, but I'm aware of it and feel no need to contest anyone on their supposed presumptuousness.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Ok I'll take the bait..how is new 52 superman a sjw prick?
    I'm not about to trigger a series of responses that will derail this thread. I was in my own way responding to Supercrab's usual baiting tactics and I regret it now.

BANNED

Speaking for myself, more often than not I find myself saying my assessment of the books is not the general consensus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It utterly beggars belief
    I was fine with everything you said right until this. Not needed.

Just saw the news, wow!

One writer doing both books? Maybe if DC have given this freedom to Morrison the N52 Superman would have lasted more, or even Greg Pak.

Bendis on Superman can go both ways, is 50/50 really, but I'm not worried, DC isn't Marvel, we have Barry Allen in case we need to erased any crazy awful changes.

And finally: Why on God's green Earth did they bring the trunks back?! Ascended is right, the Reborn suit is probably the best Superman have ever looked and the go on and put some underwear over it, I was hoping it would be only in Action 1000 but looks like is staying.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I was 3 years old then and even that makes me feel old. I'm realizing I'm about to hit 30 soon... wow.
    LOL. Wait until you hit your mid 40's
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Just saw the news, wow!

One writer doing both books? Maybe if DC have given this freedom to Morrison the N52 Superman would have lasted more, or even Greg Pak.
    To be fair no way Morrison would have taken on this kind of workload. I believe he was even hesitant on doing as much as he did with Action Vol. 2. So even if DC had wanted it and been willing to give it to him, they wouldn't have gotten it. Though I would have loved if Pak got to steer the entire ship. I still would, even if it meant he weren't working on the version I liked better. He's still the best Superman writer since Morrison.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    You do know that Morrison's Superman actually sold better than either of the Rebirth books, don't you?

His run's the best selling run on a flagship book since I think, For Tomorrow back in 2005.

Not a great example to point to as an example of failure.
    That says more about fans of creators than the runs or ideas, though. Outside of Grant Morrison and Jim Lee, those eras were specifically average in sales.

This board seems to be pretty exceptional in its disdain for the current books and how quick people are to throw the rest of the 80 years so far under the bus for the sake of putting Action volume 2 on a pedestal. But that's alright. I think we're now in the same boat regarding the Bendis Takeover, hopefully we finally move past "mine rules yours sucks" regarding the direction of the line.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I like what Bendis says in the Forbes article.

As a Superman fan I'm used to "new" origins and status-quo changes.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-01-2018 at 01:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That says more about fans of creators than the runs or ideas, though. Outside of Grant Morrison and Jim Lee, those eras were specifically average in sales.
    Yes, but it still goes against the "who would want to read..." argument. People came on board for Morrison and new #1, but Morrison's name wouldn't have kept sales at the level they were if people didn't want to read about the Superman in that book.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    Ten years ago I would be excited to have Bendis write Superman, but now I'm rather reserved about it. His last two big runs, X-Men and Iron Man, aren't going to be in many top 10. Then again, maybe changing teams to DC is exactly what he needs.

One thing we definitely don't need is another Superman's origin. It's probably because he doesn't have something as definitive as Batman's Year One and everyone wants to be the one to write something like that, but having at least four in 14 years is a little too much (Birthright 2004, Secret Origin 2009, Morrison's New 52 2011 and now this).
    His X-Men run was great but it seems like editorial wouldn't let him follow through. Scott's revolution in Uncanny X-Men and the O5's time-displaced adventures in All-New X-Men were great ideas but marvel higher ups clearly didn't care about them. As soon as Bendis left those two titles marvel showed how little they cared by killing Scott and handing over the O5 to a no name writer (I like Dennis Hopeless but his books don't sell) making them stars of a b-list x-book. As long as DC doesn't interfere too much and lets Bendis really go for it I'm optimistic about this.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284