Page 100 of 613 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200600 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 9194
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Details from DC's Retailer Conference at C2E2

-The three stories contained in DC Nation#0 will be the "linchpin" of DC going forward
    -DC Nation Magazine will launch a month after DC Nation#0
    -Five Million copies of AC#1000 have been ordered
    -There will be a radio media campaign for AC#1000
    -Super Sons will continue as a series of ongoing graphic novels for the Zoom and Ink line...it is not known if they will be canonical or not

https://www.newsarama.com/39287-c2e2...nly-panel.html
    5 million copies?? That's insane! When was the last time we saw a comic with that large of a print run? Has to be , what, perhaps Superman #75?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Hmm never considered that but these days is it I don't think it's even possible to generate the right amount of sales to make float profit to hand out as a bonus. Maybe they are but I wonder is it possible to revive interest in printed media? Even if the COmics Code was revived what chances are there that any writers would actually like the idea at all? This fellow Shawn James might not understand the how to build a brand either as he believes the characters should come first over the creators but he underestimates the power of a creator and the weight their name carries at times. Harry Potter is at the forefront of the Harry Potter franchise but so is J.K. Rowling and her name carries just as much clout as her creation's name. And anything she does can impact the Harry Potter brand and when something goes wrong readers aren't looking at Harry Potter they are looking at Rowling. In the same vein Shawn James's toxic online presence and views will carry a similar impact on his books and brand.
    I'm not sure why you'd *want* to revive print media, honestly. I mean, it has its place and I suspect it'll always have a niche audience of some kind, but it is most definitely not the direction to take mass entertainment. It's still the primary source people use for comics, but those days are numbered and dwindling. Our's is likely the last generation to use print almost exclusively for our comics and books. Tomorrow's readers (and the ones just joining our hobby) see the world through screens, not ink.

And I can't speak for creators but I doubt anyone misses the comics code. The current rating system is better anyway; easier to understand, with contemporary, like-minded entertainment industries using a similar system, more flexibility in what kind of narrative you can craft.....the code belongs in the ash heap, interesting only as a historic curiosity showing what the industry was willing to do to keep the HUAC blood hounds at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Quesada draws Superman like he's Michael Shannon.
    He does. I'll have to hunt down Quesada and show him what Superman actually looks like. And I'll find him, too! I will find him! I WILL FIND HIM!!!!!

(not being stalker-y, I'm just making a Zod joke)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Now that its mentioned, yeah, Quesada's Superman does look like Michael Shannon. When I first saw it though my first thought was that it looked like a DKR-verse Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    5 million copies?? That's insane! When was the last time we saw a comic with that large of a print run? Has to be , what, perhaps Superman #75?
    .....I think Coates' Black Panther #1 hit 3 million or something.......or maybe it was just 300K? I forget, obviously.

I'm not sure if we've ever seen figures like this for a single issue in my entire lifetime, honestly. But it's Action 1K. This is a milestone the likes of which this genre has never seen before. I just hope it's done well and gives all these people a chance to see that Superman is as important and relevant today as he was eighty years ago. Celebrate his storied history, yes, but also show us that his best days are yet to come!

I look forward to the fans using this while complaining about Bendis though; "Action 1000 sold five million copies, and Bendis' next issue only sold 200 thousand! What a drop! Bendis is a hack and if the sales drop keeps up like this, DC will be paying us to read his Superman before summer! Let's get a real talent like that Winnick guy in to save the books!"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Half-million of copies have been ordered not 5 million.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...n-comics-1000/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Ah. That makes more sense. That's still pretty high.

I for one will be getting this in print. I've long gone fully digital and while I don't regret the decision, I intend to make sure I get a physical copy. I have every ACTION anniversary issue going back to 500. I'm not about to miss adding 1000 to my longbox!.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Still more copies than Amazing Spider-Man#800

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...-man-800-sold/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Maybe Amazing #800 doesn't have 50 variant covers like Action #1000 to inflate the sales.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd *want* to revive print media, honestly. I mean, it has its place and I suspect it'll always have a niche audience of some kind, but it is most definitely not the direction to take mass entertainment. It's still the primary source people use for comics, but those days are numbered and dwindling. Our's is likely the last generation to use print almost exclusively for our comics and books. Tomorrow's readers (and the ones just joining our hobby) see the world through screens, not ink.

And I can't speak for creators but I doubt anyone misses the comics code. The current rating system is better anyway; easier to understand, with contemporary, like-minded entertainment industries using a similar system, more flexibility in what kind of narrative you can craft.....the code belongs in the ash heap, interesting only as a historic curiosity showing what the industry was willing to do to keep the HUAC blood hounds at bay.
    Hmm you'd think mega hit books such as Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and even Twilight would have revived interest in print media at least for prose novels. Though I have not see any novels of late that have reached that level of stardom. I've found a lot of eager kids here in my local book stores. But as for comics whose market share has shrunk significantly it'll take a miracle for printed comics to get a revival. In fact my brother genuinely believes that printed media will still be able to remain relevant somehow. No I doubt many miss the Comics Code Authority but there are folks like Shawn James who think it set a standard for quality as well help regulate content and in his case could help make more kids interested in the comics regardless of whether it is a Batman comic or a Superman comic. But I think the current system works it's more up to date as well if anything if comic companies want to deliver good quality comics the trick is to train their writer especially the new guys to write better comics.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So the cover for DC Nation #2 is also out

I think the bottom right says and if someone can figure it out better please correct me but "Bendis Man of Steel Introduces(?) Supergirl's New Movement".

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Well that is new but will Tomasi be writing them? Otherwise it's not going to work if Pearson is the one doing it. Just like he was slated to do for that out of continuity one.
    Personally, an ongoing graphic novel is not the same thing as a monthly ongoing Super Sons comic to me. I'd much rather get my Super Son's fix every month instead of waiting around for the periodic fix once in a blue moon. Not to mention I saw in the Jon Kent Appreciation thread that the Ink and Zoom books are delayed until 2019. This is not an ideal situation for someone who isn't planning on reading Bendis's books and will now have to wait until next year to read a book that Jon is in outside of that. Stinks actually.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So the cover for DC Nation #2 is also out

I think the bottom right says and if someone can figure it out better please correct me but "Bendis Man of Steel Introduces(?) Supergirl's New Movement".
    That last word looks like a smudge to me. I can't make it out either. Maybe someone who was there can fill us in.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Hmm you'd think mega hit books such as Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and even Twilight would have revived interest in print media at least for prose novels. Though I have not see any novels of late that have reached that level of stardom.
    I'm not entirely convinced they didn't. A lot of people were expecting print industries to be dead by 2025 or so, and book stores are doing better than those projections thought they would be at this point in time. Perhaps those were merely the more...exuberant....predictions though.

But even if things like Potter and 50 Shades did help keep print buoyant, that doesn't seem to be changing the overall trajectory, just easing and slowing the transition. Which was never going to be fast anyway; shifts like this aren't fast. I'd even go so far as to say the rise of digital and the slow decline of print is as big a change in the human experience as changing from horse drawn wagons to cars; a true paradigm shift. And it still took, what, about a century between the first automobile and a car being in every driveway in America? Longer for cars to be in every driveway around the (industrialized, modern) world.

I've found a lot of eager kids here in my local book stores.
    Mine is relatively popular as well. There's usually customers there whenever my wife and I go. But our "eyes on the ground" isn't always a viable measure of a industry's health.

But as for comics whose market share has shrunk significantly it'll take a miracle for printed comics to get a revival. In fact my brother genuinely believes that printed media will still be able to remain relevant somehow.
    I think print will always have a place in the market somewhere. Hipsters and grand parents will always want to go retro. And there'll always be the odd person who prefers a page in hand (like me with novels). But I think print will eventually settle into a niche market. And comics already being a niche market within print.....I'd rather see comics at the forefront of digital, instead of shrinking further under print.

No I doubt many miss the Comics Code Authority but there are folks like Shawn James who think it set a standard for quality as well help regulate content and in his case could help make more kids interested in the comics regardless of whether it is a Batman comic or a Superman comic. But I think the current system works it's more up to date as well if anything if comic companies want to deliver good quality comics the trick is to train their writer especially the new guys to write better comics.
    Yeah, the code never stopped bad comics from being written. It just stopped nudity, drugs, and foul language from being used. And it did those things haphazardly by the end. A memo from an editor would accomplish just as much, while leaving the doors open for more variety of product aimed at different demographics.

Getting new, younger readers won't be accomplished by the code. It'll be accomplished by new marketing strategies, new distribution models, and new content aimed at those kids instead of established adult fans (which doesn't mean adult fans are gonna get dropped by the wayside; there's plenty of stories for all of us).

BTW: I'm enjoying this conversation. It's not often I get to theory craft about the comics industry to this degree.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-05-2018 at 03:40 PM.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Monthly comics and graphic novels are different in the way that ppl can read a GN and think "wow that was a great read" and be done for awhile,comic fans are like crack heads,always needing the next fix.weekly,2x a month,is better to keep attention spans focused

BANNED

These are some insane numbers, nonetheless!